1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

BJDs, NSFW Anime Figures, BL Manga & Web Comics

Jan 19, 2024

1. *Warning* Possible NSFW mentions, nothing explicit.

Back around 2010 when I started in this hobby, I was very into the artistry of BJDs and based my purchases off of that. Now that I'm getting back into it, the present me is a consistent consumer of BL (Boy's Love) web comics and manga like Lezhin and I find myself wanting to replicate my favorite characters in BJD form.

I also follow some BL fans in IG/Tiktok who collect BJDs and NSFW figures. Has anyone on here found success in replicating their favorite characters?

If anyone is curious, my favs are:
      • Jae-Shin from Ghost's Nocturne
      • Joo Jaekyung from Jinx (Mingwa)

2. Not sure if this counts in quite the same way since I enjoy BL fan ships rather than 'official' BL, but I do get quite a few doujin from Japan featuring my favourite characters :XD: I'm in the process of customizing one of my dolls to be one of my favourites and I'm really happy with the result so far!

3. For me, a lot of my dolls tend to end up being OCs of mine . . . from stories featuring m/m relationships that I write myself lmfao. Haven't actually tried making one into a character from outside media yet!

If I were going to make one from a BL comic, though, I'd make Heesoo Yoon from Love Is an Illusion, because I love that horrible little rat man >:3c
      (Totally forgot he's the guy in my avatar as I was writing this ahaha. Good luck getting any wig to actually hold that style, Future Me.)

4. I feel this :XD: My wig is still a work in progress

5. I swear they're the hardest part! :?
      Most of my dolls' wigs are at an 'okay that will do for now I GUESS' sort of stage lmfao.
      We'll get there eventually :thumbup

6. @arakkoa Yes, exactly! :XD: The character I'm shelling does not have long hair. Current wig? Hair length to his butt :XD:

7. I'm a big consumer of BL media, but I can't say there's any with characters I love enough to consider shelling. However, I do write a lot of my own BL content with my own OCs, who I'm currently in the process of trying to shell!

8. I think a lot of sculptors in this business are also queer and fans of queer media because they do shell BL characters and make suggestive storylines for their official dolls. It's nice to know being a BL fan won't be stygmatized and that artists create their sculpts for the purpose of BL fans to enjoy.

9. It's pretty much the same deal for me in this regard! Pretty much any BL character I shell is going to be a character I made instead a fanart doll! Would I like to do a fanart doll some day? Yes! But I'm probably gonna be shelling some sort of Genshin boy with a DD rather than a character from a BL (Though a character from a more obscure game series is planned to be shelled at some point)! Right now the closest thing to a BL character fanart doll I have is an Obitsuroid of Aoba! :XD:

10. Aw! I have an Aoba obitsuroid, too! :whee:
      He was my very first nendo way back in the day, so he has a special place in my heart.
      I want Clear and Noiz, but ugh . . . the secondhand market prices . . . :abambi:

11. All of my dolls are my own OCs, so I never really thought about getting a BJD to resimpersonate a character I like. However I love to see BJDs customized to look like manga/manhwa/comics characters. I think a Jae-Shin BJD would be astonishing beautiful to look at!

12. Like some others have expressed, I don't have any BL characters in doll form but do make dolls out of my OCs. Currently I've only got one mlm couple, Aaron and Gray, tho Gray is in need of a new shell. I've got two dolls that need to be shelled that are also an mlm couple, as well as a doll I need to shell who is alloaro but in a qpp with another male doll who is already shelled.

13. I prefer to either shell OCs or get a cute doll and think up an OC around it, so I've never particularly thought about shelling a character I was a fan of! Making a doll heavily inspired by one, sure. I still think Giorno Giovanna would translate into a lovely doll, even if I have no plans on doing so, and one of my most beloved OCs I am slowly working on shelling is heavily inspired by Idia Shroud from Twisted Wonderland.

The real thing is though, I'm a big fat sapphist and prefer girl dolls. Most of my OCs are girls, and they're as flagrantly queer as I am. Not that my boy characters and boy dolls aren't... It's more that my doll collecting tastes and my fictional men testes don't intersect as much as they could. Much of the clothes made for boys dolls sucks verily, so why buy a boy I struggle to dress to my liking, when I can buy another girl who can share a pool of fripperies?

14. Like others, I also prefer non-bl media ships and ocs for my bl, my doll preferences reflect that. I’m shelling two bl characters of mine because I’m that obsessed with my ocs. Though if I found myself with an extra body or head, I think I’d make Seth from Ennead. Ennead is probably my favorite bl manhua, and Seth is my preferred type of main character. His face is perfect for shelling too, so many sculpts would fit him.

I also might wanna shell Mads Mikkelsen’s Hannibal and Hugh Dancy’s Will Graham some day, if that counts LOL.

15. I'm a big BL fan, and although I have OCs who are in various relationships, I actually haven't shelled any of those characters. :sweat I did shell my favorite character, Shi Qingxuan, from Tian Guan Ci Fu, though! His doll profile is even over here! I have plans to eventually shell the other half of his ship, too. :XD:

I also think I have seen a Joo Jaekyung BJD before! I think his buff physique would be excellent for some of the more muscley dolls I've seen around~

16. I made my whole first season of my photostory based on Hana Yori Dongo (Boys Over Flowers) I changed some things, because it is done with photography and not manga, and I changed the characters names. The main girl and boy story is a match to the books, and a lot of the story is very much the same. It took a bit of work figuring out how to set the pictures up, but overall I think I got the main points of the story down pretty well. I replicated the manga as best that I could.

A couple changes I made was making the main girls best friend a male and making him way more prominent. One of the main boys in the story becomes very interested in him. I had to have my own BL twist on things. Season 2 will stray from the original manga almost completely, because I finished the manga in season 1. There is going to be a lot more BL in the following seasons as I collect mainly male dolls.

For me I went more for the feel of the original characters, not necessarily duplicating the appearances exactly. I found dolls that would give me the awareness of the characters. It was a lot of fun actually making this 'fanfic' of the original manga.

17. Boys Over Flowers reenacted with dolls.... that's a pretty cool idea! on a lesser note I remember hearing about how crazy that manga is lol!

18. I have the Ringdoll Hualian dolls, and I've been slowly (very slowly ><) working on customizing a couple of dolls into Moshang, though I've gotten stalled trying to do the ear mods for dollbei Jun, as I've dubbed him xD I think I figured out what a big part of the issues with them were for me, so i just need to find the time to sand them down and color match, and then hopefully things will go smoothly from there.
      I started out doll customizing fashion dolls into favorite characters of mine, so while I've since added some OC's as dolls, both fashion and bjd, I mostly collect dolls of existing characters, which seems to be a bit unusual in this hobby ^^;