1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Bjds's strong smell?

Sep 18, 2021

1. Hello, I need to ask a question to all owners of bjds and hear what expert says about this . I' ve noticed some months ago, or maybe it's already from 1 year, that everytime I open the cabinet where I keep all my bjds, have a strong smell of resin.
      I own these bjds since 2008, and I never experienced a thing like this . I could smell some little resin odor, especially in summer, but then it was not so notable. but now it's strong .

I'm concerned about these fumes, since I keep all my doll in the same room where I sleep. Everymorning, I can feel that smell, especially when I open the cabinet (I open it often since I keep there also all my books that I read everyday, so everyday I feel that smell...)

Someone can tell me what is it and if is dangerous , and what are the explanations of these fumes?

I need to know if in den of angel exist a discussion properly about the fumes (not the dangers of painting or use msc on resin, but I'm searching a discussion with official safety information from experts about the resin smells, and how is possible that after more than 10 years, now are starting to smell so strongly compared when were new dolls)?

Thank you In advance ...

#1 dollypeach, Sep 18, 2021
      Last edited: Sep 18, 2021
    2. I'm going to assume you haven't acquired a new BJD recently based on your wording, but has your part of town been experiencing either a heatwave, or a rise in heat in the weather?

My first theory (there's many reasons for increase in resin odor, so this might not be the exact reason, sorry D: ), resin is a form of plastic, and one of the compounds to casting BJDs reacts to heat like most other plastics. Unfortunately, it's not exactly a healthy form of smell. Though the effects of the resin smell will vary depending on your own personal immunity, and allergens. I recall that there is a thread on DoA from around 2014 to 2016 about resin fumes.

What I can suggest for now is to wipe down all of your dolls with a very dry/scarcely damp cloth, and leave them in a room you don't use much, but has something like a fan pointed at them. Leave them overnight and see if the smell dissipates (this is going to be hard though without an open window but I am NOT recommending leaving a window open unattended in the middle of the night XD)

3. Resin never stops off-gassing, it tends to ease with age. But, if you've just went through a heatwave, it could make the resin open up and start off-gassing(smelling) again. It could be made worse with the dolls "trapped" in a cabinet. I agree with what @NosKryme said, move the dolls to an open room with a fan and let them air out. It shouldn't cause much of a health issue unless you are asthmatic or allergic, but it is a unpleasant smell to deal with everyday.

4. I keep my dolls sitting out in a spare bedroom with the door shut, and I definitely get that resin smell when I go in that room. Some of the dolls are new, others are over ten years old. I think the smell is partly due to them being in an enclosed space—my first doll is 14 years old and stays in a cabinet and I smell resin as soon as I open that cabinet. On the other hand, I have three newer dolls (one barely a year old) sitting in my den with much more open space and ventilation, and I don’t smell them at all.

5. Agreeing with others that it’s probably the enclosed space. I never smelled my dolls at all until I put them behind glass, but now I open the cabinet to fiddle around with something and get hit with a whiff of parfum de hobby.

I don’t think it’s dangerous, but who knows? I find it kind of comforting because of the association with something that makes me happy.

6. Thanks to all for the informations. Since this morning, I placed my dolls all the day in front of the window, and I will try to see if the smell it's strong again If I close them again in the cabinet . (I think it's correct, in fact, since I keep them in the cabinet, the smell is more strong), so who knows... I wonder at this point if everyone that have dolls in a closed space like cabinet, can smell that resin odor as well? If all people that keep dolls in cabinet experience this, it's sure that it's due the close space. .
      Yes in my country this summer especially, had an hot season... but this smell was there even before this summer..

Anyway, I also think I will have to clean the dolls too (it's years that I don't clean them), maybe the resin smell will decrease also after a good cleaning... we will see...

I like to keep them in the cabinet, but I'm afraid if these solutions will not work, I don't have other choice than close the dolls in their box and keep them in the closet in another room... and play with them only when I need it...

7. Mmm I keep my dolls closed in my wardrobe, inside their boxes but when I check on them there isn't any smell.

On the other hand I have some figures out of their boxes but inside a cabinet and -good lord- the smell they produce! Just them thou. The other figures I own are odorless.

8. i've started keeping my dolls in a closed cabinet with glass doors and...yeah, yeah they started doing that too. I think since resin doesn't stop making fumes keeping them in a closed space just allows the smell to build up over time resulting in a strong smell when you go to open it. Hell i unboxed some dolls because I moved recently and just taking them out of the box they had that smell too. IDK if its bad but maybe try airing them out a bt, or keeping the door to your cabinet cracked?

9. Perhaps you could also try using charcoal bags and/or silica dehumidifiers in the cabinet? I can't think of a method that would stop the scent from the resin itself, but perhaps the amount of fumes that just gather and sit in the cabinet can be absorbed by charcoal/silica?

Unfortunately I can't speak from experience, but I usually use these to keep clothes smelling 'fresher' in closets so I thought perhaps it could be worth a try.

10. I've thought about using potpourri before because yes, I have this problem too! I may use @SoapBubbles suggestion of silica packets because the smell in that glass-door cabinet is otherworldly. For context, I currently keep twelve BJDs and eight antique teddy bears in an enclosed case; the bears (many of whom are 100+ years old) have their own unique aroma that really, really does not mix well with resin! I don't really want to keep the doors open because cats, but I will likely separate the dolls from the bears to save my sniffer if I can't find a better solution. I'm going to buy some desiccant off Amazon now!

11. Interesting. I went and sniffed my doll vitrines, but didn't smell anything (except, in one vitrine has a scented pony, so I have apricot smell in that one). I really think it has to do something with weather conditions in each country. I live in Finland, so we don't have that many heat waves. Also my vitrine is in dark and coldest corner in my hobby room, so when we heat the house during a winter it still stays pretty cold.

12. I definitely think having them locked up makes the smell stronger. When my dolls are out and free I don't smell them at all. We moved recently and I had to box up all my dolls for about a month, and when I opened the boxed to get them out, every single one of them was like opening them when brand new.
      I am also in a humid and hot climate this time of year so that could definitely have something to do with it. My dolls are out in an open room, it is very humid and I cannot smell that smell anymore. I am sure if I enclosed them it would be strong though.

13. Interesting...
      My cabinet (with 9 BJD's) it's located in the most "dark" part of my room, where no light of sun even reach, and in the most "fresh "zone", yet, in summer my room it's very humid and hot.
      In winter is the contrary, my room became the most cold of all the house...

I agree too , if I put them on a enclosed space, I'm afraid when open it again , there will be more smell accumulated. mm..
      But even if I would leave the dolls out or in a opened space, even if the smell don't accumulated, I now knows that the resin release these fumes, so I should at least keep my window open often. But I can't do this in winter, so I think I will keep the dolls outside when it's summer so I can keep window opened almost all day, and in winter, I will keep them inside their boxes in another room .

I've already placed all my dolls outside the same room where I sleep (I could not stand anymore that smell > < and I will check after some time , when I open the box if the smell its strong. Or at least, when I have to play with them and I have to take them outside the boxes, I will do this in a ventilated area , so that the accumulated fumes will go outside.

Wow, today it's the first day I slept without the resin smell, and it's the first time I wake up without "that" smell... I really feel the difference!

#13 dollypeach, Sep 21, 2021
      Last edited: Sep 21, 2021
    14. I keep all of my dolls in their boxes for their safety. Only one of them has a strong resin stink. I've had him for a year and a half and his smell hasn't faded. When he's in his box I can't smell it anymore.

15. As others have already said, resin off gasses constantly to varying degrees, but heat and enclosed spaces make you more aware of the smell. Generally speaking, to keep resin in optimum conditions, you really need a total lack of UV light, constant, low level airflow, and an even temperature. This not only assists with the off gassing, but also helps slow and even out the yellowing effect somewhat, so it's a win/win for you and the dolls!

For all those who keep your dolls in their boxes, please make sure to air them out at least once every couple of weeks, move the doll in the box and make sure they're not touching anything that can stain over time. A lot of beautiful dolls have been damaged by people dumping them in their boxes in the back of a wardrobe and not touching them for years, only to discover when they open them that colours have leached in, and yellowing has been uneven from an unknown heat source and no airflow. Resin is a plastic and that requires care, it's tough, but it's not indestructible and it's kryptonite is a heat/light/airflow combo.

16. In my decade of this hobby, all the new doll’s I’ve received smelled very faintly of resin, except my recent MYouDoll Sandra. When she arrived you could smell the resin through the shipping box! I hadn’t even opened her box and it was strong. I had to leave her in another room for a few days once I had the box open as the resin smell was so strong it made my eyes water and was giving me a headache. I couldn’t have her near until the she finished out gassing. She is fine now, with just a tiny smell like my other dolls.

17. I don't keep my dolls behind glass. They are sitting on an open shelf. I only notice the smell for a few days at the most after I've taken them out of the box. Most of them have lost their smell after a few hours of being out of the box.
      I live in a warm climate, and even in summer, I don't discern any odor. I wonder if it depends on the company of manufature? Most of my dolls came from either 5 Star Doll, Resinsoul or Bobobie. The ones from 5 Star are over 10 years old. I don't remember them having any resin smell when I got them. The others have had a faint resin smell which dissipated quickly.