1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"But I want them all!" - aka How do YOU choose?

Dec 28, 2009

1. I have a specific aesthetic that I like, so when I see a doll that fits that I add it to my wishlist. I would never buy a doll that I'm not in love with. Right now, I have my wishlist in order of which doll I want next. If I see a new sculpt that I like and want to own, I will place it in my wishlist where I feel it should be. If it's a limited, I usually bump that to the top if I'm serious about owning it and want to avoid secondhand prices.

2. When trying to choose between dolls, I imagine them in front of me or in my hands, but I have to decide right now what one I want to save because of the fire or something LOL it seems to work! That or flip a coin, and whatever side you wished for it to land on in that second it was in the air is the doll you probably want the most :lol:

3. If I want one, I'll enter the lottery if thats when they're being released. If its one I didn't win or out already...I'll look around for good prices, I'll ask people what good prices are, which gives me time to stew on it a bit to see if I REALLY want it or just a temporary thing, which I'll often find out I dont want the doll after looking and inspecting the sculpt some more....or so the idea goes, it doesnt quite work out that cleanly in practice :p Nowadays it tends to be me telling myself I have no more desk space :/

4. I know I *need* a doll when I find myself thinking about it and coming back to it over a period of weeks. I don't really impulsively shop with resin; they are way too expensive for that. I find myself liking many sculpts, but when a particular mold is "haunting my dreams" as it were, that's when I consider buying it.

Unfortunately, that strategy does make getting limited dolls very difficult. >.>

5. I too, have a plan, sort of. Usually a few dolls I would love to have. Then one jumps out! and I buy it!!!

6. I have one that I absolutly bond with over any other doll, it's how I found out the one for me.

7. Wow, you hit the nail on the head with "want the whole world!" :P That's how I felt, and still sometimes feel, when I first browsed through the bjds. I try not to simply browse anymore unless I find a sculpt that attracts me. :3 When it concerns male bjds, I like more realistic-looking sculpts, but with females, I've had a very difficult finding a sculpt that I like enough to have to have.
      When I find a doll that catches my interest, I search Google and/or Flickr for more photos of dolls in the sculpt. I've kept a LOT of dolls off my wishlist that way, haha. >.<

8. On dolls I have decided on buying it generally depends on specials and the price of the dolls. Around holidays and times I would be getting money I go for the more expensive ones since I know I won't have the income later on. Also a lot of companies have specials during the year so if one of the dolls was discounted I would go for them first. Now if it was deciding which doll to buy thats a different story. I end up leaving a tab open on my browser and admiring the dolls everyday to see if one grows on me more then the others. I also look for photos of the doll from other owners so I can see the dolls in a variety of looks and really get a feel for it. Worst case scenario I end up adding a few more to my buy list.

9. Okay, this is difficult. If I have a character in mind, I search for suitable mold and order whole body and head. I also have notes on my computer that this and this one is suitable for that character. Then if I have couple choices I start checking price and if that isn't the problem, then I compare the body. I want all my dolls have their own body :D

10. I think if I didn't have so many beloved RP characters, I'd have been able to find one or two and be happy. But there's something so special about being able to hold and tend to and play with a character in resin. I tend to keep a list of characters that I'd like to "shell" and then for faces that I think would fit that character. I prioritize by how much I love the character and when I can find them.

11. That's a good question. One year into the hobby and I still have no clue. I see so many different dolls everyday that I end up getting a longer list of dolls I want. Most of my dolls were purchased via layaway second hand so I try to only have one on layaway at a time but did have three once. I've been getting better with impulse buys as I've had to sell a few dolls I didn't really want and only got thinking I wouldn't find them again.