1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"But I want them all!" - aka How do YOU choose?

Dec 28, 2009

1. LOL My dolls usually say "Hello, my name is ______, when am I coming home? By the way I will need..."

2. If a doll doesn't become a fully-fledged character in my imaginary world, it's not coming home no matter how much I like it. This criterion keeps my wishlist very short (it's currently at less than a handful), and the more fleshed out a character is in my mind, the higher the doll goes on the wishlist.

That said, I'm in a bit of a bind -- currently tossing up between a wishlisted doll (a limited that's currently at a very good price) and bodies for two floating heads. The limited doll costs as much as the two bodies. Even though I'm able, I'm really leery about dropping so much cash all at once. *meep* I may just get one body first, that character is really begging to be complete. But I don't know if I'll get that limited at the same price as it is now.

Decisions! :lol:

3. The doll must call out to me.
      Thankfully, not many do! :D I usually know exactly what I want, or rather: I know exactly what I do not want and I know a set of characteristics I would like to see on whatever I'm buying... Which makes shopping frustrating...

When I first got interested in bjd - a good few years ago - I couldn't find a single doll that I would like enough to attempt to bring her home and to justify spending few hundreds $ on her.
      It wasn't until August this year when by chance I stumbled upon a doll that SHOUTED AT ME ;)

Also, as I have hard time dividing my attention, I highly doubt I'll end up with a huge collection of resin. My bf hopes so too ;)

4. Lots of requirements and restrictions.

I must LOVE the body sculpts. Nothing short of LOVE is acceptable.

I must really, really like the face sculpts over a long period of time. This means that after at least 1 month of constantly staring at owner pics and promo pics, I still get bubbles when I look at it again. It doesn't have to be the best face out there, just really nice.

Equal amount of boys and girls in my planning. I hate imbalance.

At least one unisex doll, because then I can dress it in whatever I want.

Only dolls between the sizes of 30cm to 55cm, leaning more towards minis and tinies. No large dolls short of a 200% MIND**** WOW factor.

Always plan for a beautiful number of dolls, and keep it low. 'Beautiful numbers' include 1, 3, 5, 10. 'Ugly numbers' include 7, 9, 12, 4. I decided on 5 dolls.

All the dolls I plan must come from the same company with the same sculpt styles, for the sake of consistency. I decided on Blue Fairy and Minoru World, because they're sister-companies with the same style dolls.

No bad reputations from the doll company. If I hear bad rumors, like I've heard from at least three other companies I was interested in, you're OFF THE LIST.

There are probably some others, but those should be the highlights.

In terms of when I plan to get them... at first I said I should wait a year before buying my first doll, when I first got into it. I decided to cut that in half and buy my first doll at the end of the first semester of college. I think I'm going to keep that up. I always have the money available, since I don't spend it on anything and have a great summer/break job. But just spending it all the moment I get it is dumb. So, by the end of this semester at the start of summer break, I'll buy my second doll. Probably as a birthday gift to myself, since I'm a June girl =P .

<3 ali

5. I was in love with little fee Ante but when they came out with another full set; they also had Bisou. I loved Bisou as the teddy twins and still wanted Ante. The full set was an elf but that didn't deter me one bit. I was so worried they would sell out: I ordered the lot. I had a moment or two or pre-buyers remorse as I waited with nothing but an empty bank account...

But they are all safely home just in time for Christmas and they were worth every penny. I could not part with any....though I think Bisou Boy may be slightly in the lead for favorite!!!

6. I'm incredibly hard to impress actually 8V Even if there's one tiny thing about a doll that I don't like, I won't buy it. From the shape of the ear to the hands being not big enough, etc... XD;;;;; I'm a VERY VERY Picky person orz. So bodies, faces, resin colour, everything has to be perfect first.

That being said, of course there are still a small number of dolls I'd like, but it'd have to be one that gets me every time. Like makes my jaw drop no matter where/how i see it. xD. If I lose interest over a span of 6 months, then I won't buy it. If after that time or longer i'm still in love, I will consider buying it.

7. My roommate. She's the reason why I'll never have more than 5 dolls on my wishlist. Every time I show her new doll pictures, she just looks at me with a stern look and says a flat 'No.'. It looks and sounds so terrifying that I don't try to make my doll wishlist too big xDD
      PS; she's still a nice person, she's just my self control lol

Though now I have to rework my plans....why did soom have to release those adorable baby fauns? >.<

8. if nothing helps, I throw a coin....

But well... usually I choose on what I can allow by now and what I want for the Moment, what I fall in love with...
      Unfortunately, I fell in love with EID Chase... and he is the ultimate killing spray for my portemonnaie...

9. It's the one that makes my heart beat the fastest, who I can't get out of my mind, who I find myself constantly looking at & dreaming of, who speaks to my heart the most. I don't really keep a wishlist of dolls as it's this immediate response that dictates my choices. I've found over the years that if I buy a doll simply because I need a "dolly fix" or because it's a good deal, those dolls often don't stay here very long. If I'm true to my heart, then I have something I want to keep forever.

10. the best way of choosing is to take time and not rush things up.

11. I have no idea really. I've been wanting three boys in general, including a newly added one. I think it's all on my current dolls. I've been wanting an Iplehouse Mars forever, but since Zac is single and I have a doll already picked out for his boyfriend, I'm going to buy Damien first. It's rash, but I'm saving for him. I feel like I'm cheating on them...

Anyhow, I have a seriously long list, it's really all about priority in the household...

12. My first doll was a splurge, my second was an OMG limited on the market, want him so BAD! Merry christmas? But now I've ordered my third, it's a sculpt I've been eyeing since I bought my first and when I saw her pretty much went Sweet Mother of....It's Tezza! Tezza being a long standing and favoured character of mine, so she was a must have....
      For now, there will be no more doll buying, as my control is forced by lack of funds. But once I've saved up some more I'll go back to my list look it over and decide who is most needed.
      I've got sculpts picked out for the characters I want to create in my wishlist. I'm pretty certain a second girl will come next. My Oona, then my Ripley.... then bodies for my floating heads! >,<;
      I can hope I wont be swayed by any new and fancy Soom creations.
      I do desperately want a Bisou from Fairyland. I saw him once and fell in love... but I'm holding off.

13. I currently want three dolls: Resinsoul Jun, Elfkin, and some MSD girl. Jun's the priority right now, but I almost bought and Elfkin on pure impulse the other day. There are three things holding me back from buying all three of them: 1) Finances 2) My fiancè's hate of dolls 3) Not wanting to get so many that I can't love them adequately.

Deciding has been tricky for me. I was really hung up on the Elfkin for a while, but decided against it because of Jun. He's for an OC my friend came up with that we're going half&half to get. We've been planning him for almost a year now, so he just naturally outweighs the Elfkin.

As for controlling my finances, I started to save my change. While that seems like it would take forever, it doesn't really. In one week I saved up $10. (You can see my funds in my signature.)

14. For me, I have an unending list and when I have the funds, I will try to balance my money. But in the end, it depends on who has the most "loudest voice" when the time of ordering comes around.

15. I'm picky with the faces, and I'm found of 70cm dols. And well, ^^; they don't come easy, so I save pictures and consider their size, price and looks for a looooooong while.
      Which of course, makes me jumpy when it comes to limited dolls XD

16. To chose my first one was ... a nightmare !!
      all dolls are so beautiful and some of yours created so amazing character
      Newbie in that world, I had to read many things but I couldn't read all !
      I just know that I would like to have a MSD size
      So the one I want first was to expensive and to hard to find for my first one (Unoa Lusis),
      so I choose the face who touched me at one moment (Katie A./Souldoll) and I stopped searching because all of them are so beautiful and it became very hard to chose one.

17. Hmm,i'll usually pick e one closest to e character(a fully complete one with name and personality etc. that im sure of) that i want first.xD
      But then again,im always poison by new ones -_-.

18. I'm having a nightmarish time picking my boy doll, so many dolls are calling me right now :sweat All I know is that I have to be 100% sure I'm in love with the doll, its within my budget and must suit the brief character description I've done for him, but I keep changing that so who knows :lol: I do have a list of dolls I love, depending on how my characters develop will depend on how/when I get them.

19. All of these answers ?

I wish I could answer, but It really depends on what doll I have in front of me xD

Proof is I started with only a head and was ok with it (Really~ happy to have the body now) and a year after I am waiting for 7. All bought within a month xD

It was just the moment and I had the income to do so so I went for it xP

After this I do not know how I will chose who will come home first.... but I sure hope to find out way~ after I get my last one from this bunch XD

20. I take a long time before i take the plunge and purchase the doll. My taste are constantly changing. I realized early on that I feel differently about the doll when I see real life pics.

So now I hold off on purchasing until I can see what the he/she looks like and I'm sure after months of scouring flikr and the forums that I really love and will not regret my choice. So far this has worked for me. I am happy with all my bjd's. :)