1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"But its just a doll.."

May 5, 2008

1. I might "hello babies!" to them when I wake up in the morning or refer to them as my resin brats, but I don't think of them as my kids. My hubby has tried to say that I'm the tiny's mommy though. But seriously, no.

2. I think I'm on the far end of the scale -- my dolls are just objects. Very pretty, expensive objects, but objects. I don't think they have personalities or characters. I certainly don't think of them as companions, SIMs, pets, or kids. They're just plastic.

Honestly, all it takes to own a BJD is the money to pay for one.

3. I tend to treat everything as a child and refer to them as my "baby". My cat is my baby, my action figures, etc so dolls are really no exception. I'm just the type to get very attached to human-like objects or animals easily ^^;

4. Nah. I think everyone comes about them a bit differently. Some people get attached to them as more than dolls, others see them as fashion dolls. Whatever floats your boat, really. Dolls exist to make people happy, and you shouldn't have to rely on a group's opinion on how to treat them.

Because I'm stingy- er... economic... I actually sew all my dolls' clothes. Sometimes I'll pick out an outfit if I feel like spoiling them. Sometimes I wish they had nicer outfits when I go to meet-ups, I wish I could take better pictures of them. I feel bad that I can't show people how beautiful they are to me sometimes... But all of those improvements are my own prerogative. I don't feel like I'm required to spend gobs on doll things in order to enjoy the hobby. x3

As for the kids thing... I call my dolls collectively "my kids" for convenience's sake, and will say, "Don't mess with my purse, there's a child in there!" to my friends, but I don't honestly think of them as my children. Even character-wise, I'm more like their landlady. Who likes to mess with their heads. 8D

The only thing I can say "it takes" to be a good owner is responsibility. Keeping your own finances in check, and taking good care of it as an investment of time and money. Someone I knew lost hers somewhere in her house, and she doesn't know where it is... *_*

5. I know they are 'just dolls' as almost everyone does.

It's when you factor in the costs of the doll, buying clothes, shoes, wigs, etc... the 'doll' has similar expensines as a child. So people will justify the expense towards a doll, because they don't have/don't want a child to spend the same money on.

Then you also have the 'my doll needs a friend'. Again it's just a justification that we use to give ourselves permission to make such a big purchase of a non-essential item.

The dolls also give 'comfort' to people, just as a pet, or a favorite food, or listening to music can give. So again they are given 'human' qualities and thus seen as a 'child' or 'human' themselves.

They are seen as human more easily because of their resemblance to humans. We give them characters, and find ways to interact with the dolls. People often say, 'My doll doesn't like X wig', or 'x piece of clothing'. Does the doll really have an opinion, ofcourse not. The more correct term/wording would be, 'My doll doesn't look right in X wig'. Which then goes into more reasons of 'doesn't look how I wanted it/imagined it would look', 'the style is wrong for the facial structure', 'the color is to dark for the skin tone', etc... It's much simpler to say 'my doll doesn't like x wig', and in general people respond and see the same thing/issues or they don't. It's a whole hidden doll language...I think I'll make a post about this...

-Anneke

6. I'm with you on this one.... I originally got my first one because she was this gorgeous thing I could make completely my own, but when I went to Chicago for a year for school I took her and since I didn't know anyone and I'm super shy I was glad to have at least her with me. I could sit and watch TV with her and it helped with the loneliness for sure. And that definitely made her more than a doll to me. Same with my new boy. I've been feeling lonely with all my friends off so far away finishing school and he's like a new friend.

I sometimes call my two dolls 'the kids' but I don't feel like their mom. We're all friends. The only thing I feel motherly towards is my cat. My dolls are more than just dolls to me because I put so much into them and made them characters and worked so hard to get them. I don't really know how to explain how I feel about them, but they aren't 'just dolls' to me that's for sure. We've been through a lot together.

7. To be honest before I had one I was thinking there's no way I'd treat a doll like a child, but when you get them home you just fall for them. Now I call mine "the kids" lol I don't really treat them like my babies but they are special in ways other dolls aren't. That's all I can say about it really, it's more of a feeling to be felt.

8. I also dont seem them as a child , I have 2 , dont need any more, I see them as a hobby, toy, a distraction to help me relax and take my mind of the everyday stuff we go through :)

9. I don't see BJD's as kids. They're only characters i have brought to life...

10. Well, truthfully people who refer to their dolls as children and have the dolls call them Mommy/Daddy is strange to me. And I often feel like they are trying to fill something that they don't have.

But over all I just view them as dolls and nothing more. They aren't living they'll never have souls and never will. I do think they are very beautiful to look at and owning one is nice. I love taking pictures of them, but I love to take pictures in general.

11. Mine are absolutely not, in any way, shape or form, my children... They aren't called that or treated as such by me, and I honestly get a little :| when other people in the "fandom" insist on refering to my guys in that way.

They're favorite toys. My well-loved play-things and photography models. Yes, I spend a lot of time and effort on them. Yes, I'm very attached to some of them. But they're my little inanimate companions, at best... Not "my kids".

In spite of some of the odder aspects of this hobby, all you REALLY need to do with a doll is take care of it. Clean the thing when it gets grubby, brush its wig, get it a new face-up when the old one gets worn, or a new outfit when you're tired of looking at what it's wearing. You don't have to talk to it, play with it, take its picture or even give it a name if you don't want to.

12. My dolls are really just dolls, but don't tell them I said that.

13. I'm not sure how I feel about the dolls as 'children'. When I think of my nephews, and I care for them then I think of them as my 'nephews' or even my own 'children' because of their home life... On the other hand I dont get this feeling with my dolls, but I do get a feeling of them being mine and close to me, I think for some when they refer to them as children it is because in a sense they are, specially when they're characters from RP or stories.

14. Wow. So many opinions, but I'm enjoying your comments on this whole thing.
      (And I won't feel so bad sticking mine in a case when it comes)

15. Hmmm, well, not my kids per say...

BUT, I do have a very hard time keeping relationships with anyone outside of my immediate family (parents/sisters)...and two people. So, really, I find companionship comes easier with animals and inanimate objects.

Er, I don't think it's really the dolls themselves, sometimes, but more of the characters they embody. My original characters that have been with me and amused me through my younger years to my older years. They're all in small ways, extensions of myself. I've worked for years on some of their story lines. They've all grown with me in a way.

I think that's what I like most about the dolls. They're gorgeous works of art that help me visualize and embody my characters. Something I can touch physically, instead of in a text or 2-D format. They're a good artistic outlet. I do love my current doll to death. He is replaceable though, if something were to happen to him. (I would feel bad though, if something did happen, don't get me wrong.) He doesn't need constant attention, I can set him down and leave him for long periods of a time without feeling bad. My dolls are definantly just more than dolls to me...not sure what. Did I also mention they're gorgeous? XD

In the end, everyone views their dolls differently. Whether they're for looks, a hobby, companions or somewhere in between. It's all good. :3

16. I usually refer to my two as 'the girls' or 'my dollies'. While they are 'just' dolls, they are also something else. It's hard to explain what I feel clearly!

As a side note, my husband is very into photography and mentioned he'd like a weekend away. The thought "can I take my dollies?" popped into my head and out of my mouth. He gave me a funny look - then confessed he'd been thinking the same thing! He's finally coming to see the model potential of my girls!

17. *laughs*
      My girl hasn't arrive yet and I kept calling her "my girl" instead of "my doll" already.
      And trust me, when you see me how I treat my macbook, you won't want to imagine how I would treat my girl.
      *cough* I get insanely protective of my macbook and go "ouch" every time I even lightly bump it into a hard surface.

I think, it's ok to get attached to a certain item like as if they are living things.

FYI, I call my musical instrument my hubby. ._.

18. I can't believe me and you think the same way on this subject.

19. to me i think i brought it because the doll i chose was
      perfection in my perspective of beauty.
      and when i see it,lightens me up.
      I sometimes imagine a personality for it.
      because i see her as how she would be if she were real.
      I dunno >< people think differently.
      i don't really see her as art.
      i think that if i just saw her as art.
      i wouldn't spoil her with clothes and wigs.
      i just think she beautiful.:D

20. Its like anything else that a person can project to . We have kittens (well now they are cats) but they were abandoned at 4 hours of age so we raised them. Sometimes we kid (my husband and I ) and say they are our kids but its not because we want kids. We dont. We dont have any children .

Its not a prequiste to owning a BJD to 'have to treat it like a real human' but once you have owned a BJD you will see that a distinct personality seems to emerge. Granted its more like an extention of your own personality but its something unique and possibly people get very attached to their dolls because they do see the dolls personality.

You will see once you have one/get one its easy to get attached. But , I myself dont treat them as children. I do take care of my dolls but dont htink they are going to be mad at me if I dont play with them for a few days....