1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

"But its just a doll.."

May 5, 2008

1. I always look at Oliver and tell him " you are so fake, but I love you anyway :lol:"

I'm really attached to him, the same way I have always been attached with my other dolls, but he's the most important and special of them. I created his image and character, so I consider him "my child" for that, but he's still a doll.

And also he's a wonderful piece of art. I always think that he was made with so much love, cause no one can do such a beautiful thing without caring about it.

2. I don't see anything wrong with referring to them as your "kids" (god knows we all spend enough money on them), it illustrates a certain level of obsessiveness I think it takes to properly upkeep a horde of BJDs. That doesn't mean we all have to convince ourselves that the doll is really alive and looking at us, but I think a certain amount of anthropomorphizing is unavoidable with the amount of time a lot of us spend working on our dolls' respective characters.

But then I don't see anything wrong with posing them nicely and sticking them in a glass case, either. I don't think it really matters so long as you're getting what you want out of owning them.

3. I don't consider my dolls children at all, nor do I treat them as such. If anything, in my more eccentric moments, I argue with them like they were other adults; but I've never babied them. Being childfree, I wouldn't know how. Well, I would know NOT to store live babies on a bookshelf & keep them hidden under drapes all day & open their heads twice a week to pop their eyes out (otherwise, you get arrested pretty quickly).

But now that you come to mention it, I guess I DO refer to them as "the kids" in casual conversation, without thinking about it. ^^ Never thought about that before! I suspect it's a side-effect of pushing forty; you kind of develop a Doting Auntie speech-pattern towards everything and everyone. Probably the first step down the greased slope of Insane Old Doll-Ladyness.

4. Sometimes I refer to them as "my kids." Mostly, though, I refer to them as "The Resin People."

I am guilty of calling myself "mom" to them--but that's just because I want to show who is in control.

Maybe I should start calling myself "god" instead of "mom" or something because I control them. There are moments, too, when I just find them soo super cute that I give them a hug! :XD:

Anyway, to me, they are just dolls. Sure I like to "spoil" them by buying things for them--but those are just props for the doll displays I have in my room. I dress and pose them and take pictures (not very good ones) because its a form of de-stressing for me.

They are pleasant eye-candy and they do not rebel so I guess to me dolls are "things to control"??? :lol:

I do see them as pieces of beautiful sculpture that you can manipulate to the pose and clothing that you desire, so that is just one of the many perks of having them around.

I guess my dolls are my outlet when there are things in my own life that I cannot control--so I control them. :o

5. I agree, I rather look at them as piece of artistic character, it’s unlikely that I can ever get a real child that’s been absolutely beautiful anyway:D! and frankly I personally detest children for some reason…errr that’s just off the subject though :roll:lol

6. I've refered to my boy as a stand-in pet. XD Since I've moved up to college, I've had to leave my cats behind, six and a half hours away. They were really friendly cats, and would often ride around on my shoulders, the little gargoyles. In college, the only pet I can have is a fish...so I take care of Axel the Fish, and I take care of Ghost, who happens to be a doll. I'm not saying I treat him as I'd treat a pet, but that's where he fits into the dynamics of my mind.

7. I have a real child so no need of a resin one. they just help me with my stories and so on, and I call them by name only

8. Why? Do I really seem all that much like I drank the kool-aide? :lol:

All joking aside, while I may play the "character game" with my crew (Many of them are avatars for favorite tabletop RPG characters, and all of them have a backstory of some sort-), I really don't like being lumped in with the people who feel like their dolls have souls, or are in some way their children or their best friends or whatever.

My dolls are important to me and I value them very highly, but I don't have any illusions about them being more than what they are.

9. Despite the fact that I find SeNii as an amazing work of art, concentration and time...like all other bjds, I often call him my baby/son/etc. I generally dont call him a doll. Hes just......SeNii!

10. I generally agree with most of the comments above me. My dolls are not my children. Real children bother me enough as it is, it would really creep me out to refer to the dolls as if I were a parent. My dolls are all characters, and are involved in their own story. They only interact with other dolls, I am (for the most part) not involved in their world.

11. No I don't see them as kids and frankly I get a bit freaked out when some people refers themselves as their doll's mommy/daddy.

To me they're dolls, no more, no less. It does take responsibility to look after them but it's the same with everything you own. Mine has 'personalities' that are shown through my writing and drawings, they're personifications of my ideas. Although I do call them 'my boys' or 'the boys' alot because to me they hold a sentimental value so I give them a title of somesort rather than 'dolls.' It's the same as when I say 'my twins or my Anthony' when I talk to friends about the characters in the art project I'm doing. I must admit, I really hate it when people ask 'are these your babies/kids?' or refers them to being like children and me as a mother, because they're not.

12. Uhhh...I'm just 18 and it's a little bit early to have a child for me, so, no!
      I sometimes call them my companions but mostly refer them as "my boys" or "crew" but never thought about calling them my children...

13. Alas, I am doll-less... But I think I'll see my girls as a sort of extension of myself, or a physical embodiment of my characters/imagination. It's gonna be sooo fun <3

But my children? No. My children will not be made of resin XD I do think they will become a piece of my heart, but in a totally different way than a child.

14. They are my dolls. I just love to buy them outfits and take pictures of them too much.

Sometimes it is even too hard for me to name them LOL

15. I'm afraid I'm quite guilty of refering to my resin gang as "the kids" but just as often the "herd" or the "resin gang." However, I don't think of them as kids at all (unlike my furbabies who also get called the kids.) The dolls are beautiful works of art that I can play with. I tend to pick strong sculpts that are either highly realistic or wonderfully fanciful. Either way, they're not the typical bland faces of so many other types of dolls.

They're wonderful for creating characters & storylines & for dressing, rewigging & customising in all sorts of ways. And of course photographing. And sewing & making jewelry for. In the end they're delightful little art pieces that are always a work in progress.

16. No matter how much you like them, in the end they are just dolls.
      I got my doll for drawing inspiration and reference.

17. No matter how much you like them, in the end they are just dolls.

I got my doll for drawing inspiration and reference. I saw that they were much more poseable than those stupid wooden artist manniquins(sp?). Those things are only slightly better than barbies. Plus, I liked that bjds so customizable.

18. I've never thought of mine as my children. It's funny, my mother, who I'm quite close to, refers to my Mano as my 'baby' or her 'grandson' and it actually makes me uncomfortable...especially if I've got him with me. There's something almost disturbing to me about referring to such a mature male sculpt as a child...well MY child in any case...

19. Interesting topic. Struggling to think where I put my resin people on the continuum. I noticed, I very rarely call them "Dolls". Mostly, I refer to them by their names.

They are not, in any way, shape or form, part of my family, but I do catch myself saying/thinking "Choa says..." "Ryu wants..."

My husband posed Ryu, who is 72cms tall, in a way that made him look a bit drunk. I feel mildly offended. Ryu isn't like that.

They are not my children. Heaven forfend!
      They are not pets. The cats wouldn't like that.
      But it is a struggle not to see them as people.

I blush to admit this, because how dumb can you be, but I do not "let" Choa swan about in her sexy underwear in front of Ryu. It just isn't nice.

Am I prude or what?

Kat:kitty1

20. This made me laugh:lol: I think there is a few of us on her that can picture ourselves in the future as the dollie equivelent of the crazy cat lady!

Now to answer the question... They are just dolls to me. Beautiful, supurb, individuals with so much personality, but just dolls.
      I have 3 kids already, certainly don't need anymore! Real kids are a lot more expencive (yes, really!) and so much more work so anyone who is substituting resin for squishy, smart move really! (just kidding, love my boys to bits:aheartbea)