1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

But the joints are showing!

Sep 17, 2011

1. LOVE seeing the joints on dolls, I like my dolls to look like dolls and I think the joints really add to their ethereal look in photographs, something uncanny to catch you off guard if you think theyre photos of real people.

2. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      Nope. Although I do highly appreciate the realism of these dolls, they are in the end just that, dolls. So they will have seams, joints, strings, hooks, and so on. I also highly appreciate photographers taking the time to make their dolls look realistic but I don't feel like I have to do it or feel like my pics are any less when joints show.

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you, or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference and getting used to it, or something else?
      I just don't see the point of having to hide everything. I think they are beautiful no matter what. These dolls have really realistic bodies (aside from fantasy or irregular body molds) so a joint doesn't bug me.

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?
      Although I don't mind seams and joints and such I do highly appreciate joint systems that look more realistic. So I really, really, REALLY prefer the rounded style of joint rather than the square style.

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent?
      Yeah. I won't pose my doll in unrealistic ways because it would look a little silly to have a doll doing a pretzel handstand on a chair. I don't know, not very silly but that is the best I can come up with at the moment. And that is of course unless I want to do a fantasy based photo or something.

3. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      I wouldn't show them off... I have seen some very lovely photos that emphasise the doll as a doll - by taking the doll apart or showing it naked - but for me the character is more important than the doll aspect. Personally I do try to hide the joints, but I don't go to great lengths to do it.

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you, or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference and getting used to it, or something else?
      Aesthetics. My Dollzone MSD has rather ugly, square knee joints. Those do bother me a bit. The others, not so much - joints do have their charms and I do like the dolls for being dolls...

I don't really go for the most realistic sculpts, so I feel it would be a little bit silly if I insisted on getting them to look like real people. At the same time, I do try to keep the less natural-looking joints covered up (but as I said, not fanatically).

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?
      I wasn't sure at first. I bought my first doll with double joints because I heard many people say that posing was oh so important. Then as I looked further (and before my first doll had actually come home), I started to think that maybe I would prefer a less mobile body that looked prettier - a body with, say, a single-piece or one-joint torso instead of a two-joint one. I also had doubts about mobility joints. But when my DZ Hal arrived with double joints, a two-joint torso and mobility joints, I realised that mobility was really important to me. One of the most enjoyable things about Gwalchmei is that he can take such natural-looking poses - he can lounge, he can slump, he can fold his legs, he can hold his head in his hands... So even if I try to hide the more awkward joints, I'll still choose mobility over aesthetics.

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent?
      Hm. Not really. He's a doll. I guess my attitude is similar to the one I adopt when drawing. I'm interested in creating something beautiful and expressive, not in extreme realism. I do enjoy pictures in which you wonder whether you are looking at a doll or a human being, but I don't really try to pass my own dolls off as humans.

4. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      Joints are lovely to me. I don't care if they show in a picture, because that's the way these dolls were made--with joints! It's a bit silly to hide them imo.

It's pretty much just appreciating that these dolls are so well-crafted that they can look beautiful even with seams or joints...

Joints joints joints joints

Well--considering that both my dolls are nightmare creatures, and that in-story Noire is a doll... I'm not sure that I have that urge. They're meant to be otherworldly. :)

5. Cool thread!!!

1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

No, not at all actually. The joints don't bother me, they don't phase me. I don't try to hide them nor do I try to flaunt them

I think it's just a simple indifference to me. I dont believe it takes away from their beauty, but I don't believe it adds to it, either. For some dolls, though, I think that the way the joints are made CAN add to the beauty of the doll.

I actually love jointed hands, because I can position them however I want to. I love double joints and mobility thighs because I just love the fact that I can pose my doll however I want. That being said, I don't think my doll looking like a real human is important to me. They are dolls, and I love them as dolls.

Mmm, yes and no. I want people to get my dolls personalities; their hmmm "person-hood" as the character I portray them to be. I want them to have emotion and feelings, but I don't necessarily want people to see them as human ^^;

6. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      Not at all. They are dolls, they have joints.

I've never intentionally covered all of their joints. I'm used to it and it's really not a big deal to me in the slightest.

I go with more mobile bodies so I can pose them easier and not have them looking awkward. The extra joints are not that bad looking.

No, not usually. Maybe just for fun but for 95% of the time they are just to look like dolls. I don't want them to look alive because they aren't.

7. I've always liked keeping my doll's joints visible whenever I dress her. For me it gives her more character. I actually find myself a bit sad if an outfit that she wears doesn't show at least one of her joints haha, though I do like to still portray her as though she were in fact real. It makes it that much more interesting to take pictures of her. Like "Wow, it looks as if though she's real but wait a minute, she has doll joints and yet it's as if she could actually be moving on her own."

8. I usually forget the joints even exist. O.o So hiding, or not hiding, never enters my mind. For the most part, I want a doll that will sit realistically and pose in a realistic fashion, but at the same time, I don't want to trade for aesthetics.

For the most part, it all just boils down to what I want for the doll in question. I know I want jointed hands for two of my dolls (got one, need the other), but for my others, I just can't imagine it. The same goes with other jointing systems. Some dolls I really want that extra-jointed posing king body, but some I just want to look pretty without a shirt on.

9. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      It depends, normally no but there are times when i want beautiful back shots and the joints bother me every time i do one.

It's aesthetics and being indifferent. Sometimes I want the joints to be invisible, most of the time I just don't care.

I didn't get a double joint body because i don't like the torso. I MIGHT consider swapping out the limbs for more pose ability, but i'd never get a double jointed torso. I just can't stand how they're done.
      It took me awhile to get over the single jointed look, the double jointed look is something i don't think I can get used to.

Sometimes i like to do or plan photo shoots that portray more realistic situations, like silly things you'd observe between real people and families. It's part of why i have so many odd props.

10. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      Not really. These are dolls and should look as such. I really don't have an impression one way or the other.

My best friend is disturbed by the joints, so as a concession to her, when I know she's coming over
      I'll do my best to put the dolls in joint-covering clothing. As most of their 'default' character outfits are like this anyway (As characterisation, rather than as a preference, however. My Epidos actually has minimal joint coverage in his outfit) it's not really that much of a change I have to make. She loves the dolls as long as she can't see the joints.

I love my dolls to be able to pose, so I love having the mobility of the joints over aesthetics.

My dolls are like giant action figures of my characters to me. They're dolls, but not dolls in a way. (Which is probably why I'm not freaked out by them.) I like the dolls to have that 'spark' of life in the way they're posed or the way their head is tilted, because dolls that look like they haven't been captured in a moment of movement tend to freak me out a little. (Which is why I could never play with barbies or view porcelain dolls without getting a little bit freaked out as a child.) For something to look human and not look alive has always creeped me out, so I tend towards giving my dolls little idiosyncrasies in their posing and such to make them look more alive. (Like how my Epidos is always holding one of his elbows with the other hand, or my Kivi always has crossed ankles when she sits.)

11. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture?
      Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      It doesn’t bother me but sometimes I do enjoy covering the joints for the sake of realism and because I am also into 1:6 action-figures
      and in that hobby the less joints you see the better. Which I can identify with because most joints in those figs are not the most appealing
      features to look at. XD

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you,
      or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference
      and getting used to it, or something else?
      Sometimes yes, because of the realism as well as for the aesthetics. Still I do admire and enjoy looking at BJD joints,
      some of these dolls have impressive engineering! Their joints are inspiring, but sometimes I just don't want them there
      so I do hide them, but not always. I guess it depends on my mood. ^ ^;

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility
      thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism?
      If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?
      I don't believe that aesthetics are in conflict with mobility. I think it just a matter of evolving and BJD companies/designers
      getting better at what they do. For example some companies might design bodies that are gorgeous to look at but have very
      limited posing abilities, while some others might design the exact opposite. However, I own a FL Chicline male,
      his body is not only gorgeously sculpted but is amazingly well engineered as well! It has double jointed arms and legs,
      has a three-part torso (which I love, I wish all my male dolls had a three-part torso!), and rotating/mobility cups,
      yet it still looks realistic and beautiful even when completely nude – I only wish he came in 72cm size, so my dream doll could be complete!
      I believe the artists and sculptors at CP have reached a point in their careers where they don’t have to choose aesthetics
      over posing abilities, so that’s what they are able to offer. Other companies might not be there yet, so they have to sacrifice one over the other.

Most of the time yes, I want my dolls to look “alive. I would love some of my dolls to look like they could be real-people,
      but I find that it is more exciting when a sculpt looks like it could be a real-person but then you find a joint here or there
      and are suddenly made aware that it is not a person but a doll!

- Enzyme

12. I think the joints should show. But I guess I'm into that kind out thing. XD

13. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

Not at all! I wanted these dolls because of how different the joints made them. I don't dress my dolls to hide any of their joints, I love seeing them!

Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?

I have a certain way I would like my dolls to look, not because it looks overly realistic but just because it is my style. Posing at the time of buying is not a huge issue, but that is only because I didn't buy the doll so that it could do all that I can. I love my dolls regardless of posing ability <3

Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent?
      Eh, I like doing fun, obvious doll pictures, as well as setting them up to seem more alive. Just depends on the mood I am in!:)

14. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints? not since ive had them. i remember when i first discovered BJDs the first few pictures of them had the joints covered, then i saw a few that had the joints showing and i remember thinking it just looked too weird, and that when i got mine, they would wear long sleeved shirts and pants to cover them. now i have made a complete turn around, some of my favorite pictures are of dolls that show their joints now (like a waist down shot with bent knees)

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you, or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference and getting used to it, or something else? when i do cover them it is because im looking for a more realistic shot, as much as i do love the doll shots, i also love those pictures that can be mistaken for a real person

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints? i like a variety. my three dolls i have now do not have double joints but thats because i bought what i liked based mostly on the head sculpt more than the body, but i will be purchasing a minifee in a few months and im really excited about the posing ability of the body, and i think the body is beautiful

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent? i do try sometimes, my supia rosy is one of the more realistic sculpts so sometimes its fun to try and test myself to see how real i can make her look, which means hiding the joints. but once again, im not all one way, i like a little variety
      :)

15. "Of course the joints are showing, it's a ball jointed doll..." I guess since that's my opinion, joints don't bug me that much. Unrealistic joints, like the [ knees on some companies' bodies, drive me CRAZY. I hate it when my dolls look like they have two knee or elbow joints instead of one, so I almost prefer single jointed bodies to those crazy [ type joints. They are just too bizarre for me. I like double jointed dolls whose bodies can maintain the illusion of human anatomy.

16. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture?
      Sometimes it does, when only a really arkward joint position can prevent my doll from falling over. It's not the joints itself so much.
      Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints?
      Sometimes. When doing a portrait shot I sometimes cover the shoulder joints so it looks more real. Sometimes I really want to take a photo of a doll and not a doll-like person, so I don't care about the joints.
      Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      That's why I got a BJD in the first place. To enjoy the posability. I also enjoy the different types of joints and how I can use them.

17. Thought joints don't bother me at all, but I do enjoy it when they're hidden, because it looks better and so realistic. Like, when dolls are wearing clothes that cover the joints, it makes them so realistic. I don't feel the need to hide them, but I do like it when it happens for sure...

18. 1. I love seeing the joints! I find them beautiful. c: It also is a nice w ay to show that it is indeed a BJD.
      2. If I minimize showing of a joint--it's by coincidence!
      3. I've only had non-jointed hands. c:
      4. My doll is my doll, and I like it that way. c:

19. All my dolls are dolls, and (when I pretend they have consciousness) know they're dolls; I adore their joints, even the clunky ones, because I think the engineering that goes into BJDs is fascinating.

That said, I also love taking pictures where the doll looks completely real . . . except for ONE visible joint. It's my private in-joke, I guess--I want to elicit that double-take of surprise from anyone who isn't already aware that they're looking at a picture of a doll. Once I entered a photo in a contest, and the person registering the entries didn't read my entry form; he put my picture in the Portrait category instead of the Inanimate Object category where I actually entered it. The Portrait judge got mad, thinking that I had tried to pass the photo off as the portrait of a living person. After I got over *my* irritation about being scolded, I decided that the entry-table guy's mix-up was even more of a compliment than if I had won a prize, heh.

20. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

I find the joints beatiful and facinatin of how they make they make poses and hold the doll together ( its like gears in a clock)

Depend on what kind of doll.
      If it supose to look real it would bee cool if it had hidden joints.

I like when they got double joints but I find the jointed hands a bit difficult but it depend on size I dont like the small hands.

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent? I like many else love when my doll look real, most of how other reacts but even I can feel I have done a good job taking care of them.