1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

But the joints are showing!

Sep 17, 2011

1. With dolls who have a surplus of short sleeved shirts, shorts, and skirts, hiding the joints just seems pointless to me. For me it makes it more of a pain when I try to post them and their arm joints get caught in long sleeves. And I like showing off their joints.

Good example: My girl Kazumi, I will fiddle with her posing all the time if I can...And it's fun to show what kind of posing her body can do. She has a special joint around her thighs so I can pose her all curled up with her knee's to her chest. It also makes, making clothe or finding clothes for her even more fun since I get to show off these special parts her body has. If I could get jointed hands for her, I would. It would be even more fun I think since I could get her rings and stuff then.

2. i dont mind joints. they intrigue me.
      i'd chose mobility over realism any day. just for the simple fact that you can achieve more realistic poses through mobility. Posing is what really tells the story in a picture. plus my interest in doll pictures come from the fact that people have managed to make their dolls feel so real through mood and such, but still a doll. if they just look human themselves i.e no joints, but they're just standing there not doing anything (b/c they r sucky posers) its not nearly as impressive.

3. Since most of my dolls are very realistic and will be portraying very real characters to me, I do everything I can to hide the joints. I love photos, such as the ones from Antique Lilac, that portray an extremely realistic doll in beautiful, well-fit and well-proportioned clothing with all the joints covered. That's what I aspire to.
      I've also considered Photoshopping out the joints if I can't hide them.

4. A friend of mine told me, a good doll photo is the one could hide the joints...

1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

Depends which joint, it quite bothers me little to see a wrist join obviously shown in photo, especially.. Dolfie Dream..
      I'll try what possible to hide them, I feel like honored when someone commented my doll look alive.

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you, or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference and getting used to it, or something else?

I would like show off my doll usually. The admiration is my satisfaction. Plus, this could attract more people gain interest collecting BJD.

Doll is already form of art itself. I would always imagine my doll is a live character with her own personality.

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?

:| Less jointed would be yes for me, I don't feel right dolls with jointed fingers e.g Unless something come out to make those join less visible.

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent?

Yes, characters I have in my mind, family, friend. I would do dialogue with them in picture I posted or comics.

It sound funny, I do talk to my doll sometime like she's could feel me.

5. I do tend to hide joints when I can as well as I love when they look almost alive like in photos. I guess you do get used to joints with time and I very much love jointed hands, mobility is very important after all.

6. Joints don't bother me.c: I appreciate them! The only time I make sure it's covered is when I make my doll do certain poses that actually makes the joint pop out of it's socket. This is usually the case with thigh joints in my experience. But as long as the joints are intact, I don't mind them showing. As for aesthetics/mobility, I want it balanced. i would not want something beautiful but is as stiff as a board, or something so poseable but completely lacks a natural look.^^ I believe when a doll is posed just right, even when joints are showing, they will still have a "real" and "natural" feel to them.

7. It does bother me! I try really hard to make my dolls look as human as possible, I'll admit it the joint bother me when I'm shooting. I will cover them if I can, the best I can. I prefer more mobile dolls, the more joints the better they are to pose.

8. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

I'm not good enough to be able to hide joints with photography tricks, so I'd be in trouble if it bothered me! XD Nah, I'm okay with joints.

2. If you minimize their appearance, is this because it makes the doll seem more like a real thing to you, or aesthetics, or something else? If it doesn't bother you, is it appreciation of the design, or simple indifference and getting used to it, or something else?

My dolls are characters that have been encased in dolls--they know they're dolls, so none of us cares about the joints! If anything, the joints are a critical part of the story because they are a huge part of what identifies them as dolls.

3. Do you prefer the tradeoff of slightly less mobility (non-jointed hands, single versus double joints, mobility thigh joints, etc.) because of aesthetic reasons and desire to avoid a sometimes awkward look, or for realism? If you prefer it for realism, why is it that you don't want the range of mobility that is realistic? Or not at all - you want those joints?

I would love as much mobility as possible, but it's not always an option and not always affordable. I would like double joints over single, mobility thighs if they're available (what I'm looking forward to about the SID I want) and jointed hands would be terrific if I knew a little more about how they work and wasn't so scared of messing them up or not being able to maintain them. There are more options for posing and you can make more interesting photos with better joints. To me the range of mobility is what makes a photo "realistic". If the arm/leg only bends to a ninety degree angle, that's what really makes them look dollish in my opinion.

4. Do you attempt to portray your doll as something more than a doll, more alive? To what extent?

Nope. As I said, the fact that they're dolls is part of the story. I don't mind at all if it shows up in the pictures I take, in fact I prefer it. :3

9. I actually really love the joints on dolls. It is what makes them interesting to me. How they move and pose and how the jointing works to support them. I don't actually like pictures of dolls that have been photoshopped to remove the jointing. As for portraying my dolls as more than dolls, I certainly do that! To me, the dolls are real world avatars of my creativity and therefore a part of me. Each one's personality is a projection of some aspect of me, giving them their own "soul" I guess. ^_^

10. I don't mind the joints at all. I find the joints are a part of their beauty. :) I think that's why I like jointed hands so much, I think they look so elegant~

11. I used to not enjoy showing joints in photos, i'd make my little girl wear long pants/shirts
      but the more i bond and love on her the more i really kind of enjoy seeing the joints!!
      XD Though i still dont like seeing the neck joint in photos for some reason..

12. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      I don't hate the joints and I don't go to extreme lengths to hide them, but I will often camouflage joints with clothing or other objects in the photo. If I can't cover them or if the type of photo I'm shooting isn't conducive to joint camouflage, though, I don't really worry all that much about it.

The reason I cover or camouflage joints is for realism and aesthetics, yes. Hiding joints isn't an absolute necessity for me, and if they can be seen it's not a deal-breaker, but I do like to cover them when I can.

No...I prefer mobility. To me, the realism of a doll is more about how realistically the doll can pose and move than it is about how many joints can be seen.

Yes, I always try to photograph my dolls to look as alive and real as possible. This is very little to do with how visible (or not visible) their joints are, though. I think my dolls look 'alive' because I try to pose them in natural-looking ways, interacting with each other in expressive and believable poses. The more articulation they have, the better and easier this is. I may not always want to see the joints all the time, but I do want the joints and if they can be seen sometimes, that's fine. I find that if the posing, interaction and setup of a shot creates the illusion of reality, people aren't going to notice the joints immediately anyway. It's only when dolls are posed awkwardly (or not posed at all) that I most notice joints.

13. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?
      When I first got these types of dolls, I really didn't like the joints at all. I'd try to hide them. It's funny, they don't bother me at ALL now. The only joint I still routinely try to hide is a bust joint or a lower hip joint.

I just don't like the look of that joint right under the boobs, and at the hips, so those are the two I try to hide. those two joints seem to interfere with the beauty of the clothes on the doll.

jointed hands are CREEPY to me, that's just my opinion, so I definitely would sacrifice mobility for something like that. Otherwise, I DO want dolls that can pose well, and to get that, jointing really is necessary. Otherwise they can just stand and sit, and that's about it.

some of my dolls have some pretty realistic blushing which I think makes them seem more real. other than that, they are dolls, beautiful ones at that, but still... dolls. :)

14. 1. Does it bother you, even slightly, if you can't hide a joint in a picture? Will you dress your doll so as to hide certain joints? Or do you enjoy or even show off the joints?

Not at all! If anything I want to show off the joints.

It's mostly appreciation of the design along with the fact that I adore the aesthetic of the joint. The "mechanics" showing makes me happier than something that looks more real.

I want those joints! The more joints- to a reasonable extent, of course- the better! The better posing is exciting to think about!

Not really! I mean, of course I want them to have natural shadowing (even if it's in "unnatural" colours), but I don't have them to look like not-dolls.

15. I've seen a few pictures here and there of BJDs but the joints have been edited out and that's always seemed strange to me because, to me at least, the joints are some of the prettiest parts of a doll.
      To each their own with doll photography, but I was wondering if anyone had any particular thoughts on the subject?

(Also I apologize if this thread has already been done. I'm pretty new here :) )

16. I don't mind seeing it done well, but it's often not. That and dolls don't bend like normal people most of the time, so if you bend say the arm all the way back and photoshop out the joint it will look really funny and more unrealistic. There's a few people out there who photoshop joints out really well though :)

17. I don't like it. It is creepy for me XD I like BJD joints :3

18. I don't particularly like it, because it reminds me of sex dolls lmao since the face is obviously still a doll face but they photoshop the body to look nicer and more human. It is just not my cup of tea at all.

19. Like you said, to each their own, but I really hate it for the reasons stated above. Silicone/wired bodies without joints are readily available (...even though they tend to be marketed as sex dolls anyway). Without the joints, they wouldn't be BJD!

20. Oh gosh, I totally agree with you. Dolls/bjds without visible joints always remind me of sex dolls hahaha.
      Some silicone dolls can look great, especially the ones made for stop motion videos and movies, but when it comes to BJDs, I think they look so much prettier with their joints showing. I actually love visible joints in dolls. It´s just makes them so charming and bjd joints are so pretty (in my opinion at least).