1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a doll despite the 'warnings'.

Sep 24, 2010

1. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      I'm not sure if I'd buy from such a company and maybe it depends on the problems. I could deal with rude answers or waiting times up to 3 months, but apart from that I'm very careful. I wouldn't buy from companies which are unreliable or sell dolls which are made in a bad quality.

Have you ever bought a doll from a company despite being warned?
      No. I never have. I am one of those people who bought R-ASIAM from DIM and if I had known before how bad the quality was back then, I wouldn't have bought this doll. Whenever I see his joints and how uneven the body parts and his head are, I get angry. I love him, because his face is so cute, but I hadn't bought him, if I had been warned before I ordered him.

And lastly why would you buy?
      I simply wouldn't buy. I adore the 60 cm dolls that Custom House used to create. They were incredibly beautiful and I wish I had bought one of their limiteds back then. But now I couldn't order from them anymore, because I can't trust them.

2. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      I have done so in the past.

Yes, from CH, Dollshe and CCC.

What the experience like if so?
      My personal experience with CH/ Aidolls was great. Still I have a sour/ quilty feeling because in the same time other people have waited over a year for their dolls or got defect dolls, they have send me mine without any problems (but with 2-3 month waiting time).

I do not want to talk about my experience with CCC, someone else ordered for me and it was hell. Besides all other issues, the person who ordered for me felt really guilt (without any reason, not getting the doll was not her fault) and it made a bit of a crack in a good online friendship (in the end she did get the doll, but it was sold).

I'm waiting for Dollshe Bernard, no idea how and when that is going to end. Since this is "the doll i always wanted but i never thought i'd get" and it was 50% off, i feel i cannot complain even if it takes 2 years.

Because I want a certain doll.

3. It seems that many of my doll purchases have come with "hangups"... I think it's because I don't do enough research on the companies to know the warnings?

My two Ringdoll MSDs were bought before the company basically imploded, but I did order an outfit from them and had to cancel it later. I ordered a LTF right before Fairyland had that big backlog, and I was pretty nervous when I heard about all the damaged dolls that were being received. In the end, I waited 4 months and fortunately I fell in love as soon as I laid eyes on her.

As for Spiritdoll, I bought a Freesia head from them. The communication was absolutely appalling. At one point I sent them an email threatening to take out a paypal claim to get my money back, but they never answered. The head finally arrived out of the blue. I never received a shipping notice, or even a receipt. Overall, the experience left a bad taste in my mouth. I don't plan on ordering from them again, nor would I recommend that anyone else order from them unless they wouldn't mind the stony wall of silence...

I have ordered from dealers who've had communication problems, but....to me there's a difference in spending $45 dollars on wigs from someone who isn't always on top of things, and spending $100 dollars or more on dolls/parts and never hearing a word.

4. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?

Well, this would definitely depend on the “problems” being mentioned. For example, personally I don’t count wait times as an issue…after all, when you compare the wait times with, say, waiting lists that some well-respected doll artists producing OOAK work have where you can be looking at more than a year before your request even gets looked at then I’d say waiting 4 months or so is nothing by comparison.
      However, bad feedback about dolls never being received with absolutely no communication from the company or serious quality control issues (non-repairable faults or regular mistakes being made with orders where people are not receiving what has been paid for) is a different story. These are more likely to be deal breakers for me no matter how much I may like a sculpt.

Yes.

Wait times are really not an issue for me, I’m a patient person so this is one of the last things that would scare me off.
      Also, some problems seem to be intermittent such as a few Limited editions in a batch arriving with a fault or the occasional doll that arrives with the wrong face-up or not in the resin colour requested. If these are only intermittent issues and not a regular occurrence then I don’t see them as a reason to turn me off a particular company. After all, we are all human & we all make mistakes =^-^=

5. I wouldn't buy from a company if people were warning me about serious problems.

I ordered a doll from Ringdoll last January, unaware that they had a backlog. Then lots more stuff happened and suddenly months were coming and going and the company wasn't talking to its customers at all, and we were all left in limbo. I thought I'd been scammed. I'm still waiting for my doll, though it has shipped. And I'm still nervous because now other Ringdoll owners are telling me that the dolls' faces never look as they were pictured on the site. It's very worrisome and if I had known this was going to happen I would not have ordered from them.

That being said, now that the ordeal is nearly over, I'm quite glad I will soon have my doll. I will just not be likely to order from the company again, and if I do, I intend to go through a third party which would be much more helpful, seeing as third party sellers remained in constant contact with their customers even when Ringdoll disappeared.

In the future I intend to be more cautious as well from whom I buy.

6. Based on how new i am to the BJD world. i would heed the warning and probably not buy the doll. it is not like you could just call the BBB if you were dissatisfied and they would help you resilve it. When your sevral hundres dollars (sometimes thousands) has gone off to another country and the doll which arrived is not in keeping with that you expected, that can be a pretty rraw deal as it would appear you have no recourse so if warned i would not buy the doll. There are too many other dolls on my wishlist to harp over hust one.

7. More than likely, no I wouldn't. This company would have to be selling something I really really want, at a good or cheap price. Like Soom for instance, I will never, ever buy from them, I have heard so many horror stories. In every aspect of having to deal with the company, I've heard they're bad with communication, very....for lack of a better word, condescending, sending out damaged goods, a little too expensive, and worst of all, I hear they take forever to ship and process orders.

The only exception to this is if the main complaint is timing, if I can talk to the vendor and they're prompt with responding back, then I'd go against the odds and try it. And there's a seller on ebay I have heard too many great things about, bad with communication and apparently failing to ship stuff. Well, there's a doll on his shop that I really wanted, so I dropped him a line asking some questions, and he answered me back within 24 hours, and polite as ever. So, if and when I decide to go doll shopping again, I'll take a chance with that seller.

8. I recently bought a Bambicrony Brava Bambi Emily, and then found out that people were having problems with Bambicrony.

They've not been too bad about it though- despite them not shipping my doll when they had told me she would be shipped about two weeks earlier than she was.

The customer service wasn't as bad as I was expecting. And my Emily girl should be here this week. We'll have to see how it all goes.

I also ordered a minifee just as all those reports of Fairyland problems turned up- and a pukipuki at the same time.

The funny thing? These are the only three dolls that I have at the moment.

9. hmm nice topic

Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      - May be I will buy it.If someone review that they not have problem like other have so it about your luck right? Then I want to try.

- No I don't = = I bouught it from dealer in my country.It more expensive but I don't have to wait for a month.

10. I have to say like others it depends on the complaint. Long wait times do not bother me just makes me have something to look forward to. Now in the complains are on quality then I will really have to think about the quality problem and if it will bother me or not. The main thing for me is for it to be well packaged and of good quality. long waits i am getting used to because I like ordering during events.

11. I was debating this question with myself earlier this year: I really like the Ringdoll Kay sculpt but after reading about the wait time and the mistakes that were made on orders, I was really heistant. I was thinking of ordering through a third party (Mint on Card) but then MoC announced that they were no taking orders. I took it as a sign.

I did have a bit of wait for my Resin Soul Ju (around 4 months) but I was told when I ordered that the wait might be a bit long, so I was okay with that.

Being rather new to the hobby, I tend to lean towards caution. I can be patient if I have to be, but quality is very important to me, so I take those kinds of "problems" as signs to look elsewhere.

12. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      It depends on the problem. If the problem is technical, for example: the quality of the doll is poor, I might not do it. But if the problem is wait time, I might go for it.

No, but only because I happened to not find myself in that position.

However, I did buy a white-resin doll knowing that white resin tends to be more prone to yellowing. The doll, I felt, was worth the risk. It wound up being a "display" doll, but I'm still happy I got it.

The white resin doll I got did turn yellow, but I recently found a way to undo a good amount of the yellowing so it wasn't a real problem at all. :3

If I think the doll is worth the "risk" I'd buy it. But again, it depends on the risk. No matter how much I like a sculpt, if I know the company is known for "bad resin" I'm not going to put my money into it. I feel there's no need to literally toss money at disappointment.

13. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?

Depends on the problem. If it's something like waiting times being longer then normal, ok, that's fine. It happens. But if it's something like the parts are coming in cracked or broken or there are scratches, proof of the doll not being complete, etc then maybe not. I was a bit weary about buying my IH I when I saw the Iplehosue problems forum. But then I realized that the problems were mostly with their bigger dolls and everyone’s tinier boys and girls were just fine that and the problems weren’t all that recent. After doing a bit more looking into it I decided I was going to order anyway, and I will be this weekend! The only thing I'm really worried about is that IH is realizing so maybe special edition dolls that I'm worried it's gonna put shipping behind. I won't mind if it does but I would like it if it didn't. >.>

Well I'm about to, but the warning isn't on my type of doll ["I" from IH] specifically.

Because it’s what I want and they’re the only one’s who have what I want and the way I want it. That and their dolls are just beautiful. The one I’m getting is my grail doll so I would order her no matter what.

14. This is a fun topic!

Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      If I feel as though if it's worth it. In my case my weakness is LE and the uniqueness of the products, so if the dolls or other products are only being sold at a problematic company I'll have to at least try it first.

Yes.

I didn't have much problem thankfully, but I have seen so many other people not getting used to the dolls and had to sell them.

Again, it all depends on how unique the dolls is. Another doll (that I'm still debating on) that was told problematic was the elegance line on Ariadoll, since many have told me about Ariadoll's poor service quality and body problems. Nonetheless, I just love Ariadoll bodies that I will have to get it someday, and just hope that I won't be screwed. :/

15. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      Probably not. There are so many great dolls out there, and quite frankly, many of them look completely the same. So there's no reason to pay exorbitant amounts of money to someone unless it's a doll that's incredibly unique and you feel like gambling for it.

No.

Like I said before--if it's an incredibly unique sculpt. Something I can't get any other way. But believe me when I say that I wouldn't just throw money at it willy-nilly--it wouldn't be on credit, it would be if I had plenty of money in the bank.

16. Get a doll from a bigger and famous company is easier and less to worry about. But my friend do warmed me about not to get a expensive doll as my first doll in case sth bad happen. But I wasn't listening 'cause I think the first doll should be special and the one you really like, but not sth just for experience and because of cheap. If you really into sth, you defentely won't let it go.

17. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      I think for me it would depend on what the potential problems were going to be. I usually ask my other doll friend she has lots and lots of BJD's and she knows her stuff so I ask her to find out things like problems or issues. Then after careful consideration might I actually buy the doll.

No I haven't yet. But I am sure there will come a time when that happens. I think it really depends.

I would buy if there was no other way to get the doll and I didn't have my heart set on some other sculpt that would be just as perfect for the character. So Again it would really depend on what the warnings were. I mean if they were structural and resin related probably not, if it was something about the doll looking like some other doll then it would depend on if I saw it that way. Shrugs it really depends on the issues.

18. I would be willing to buy a doll despite the doll company's problematic reputation if the problems were limited to wait time. For the amount of money that a doll costs, I think that one deserves a good final product and a decent customer service.

19. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      That depends on the problems. I don't have a problem with waiting for a quality product, but if I'm waiting for a rushed out piece I wouldn't buy from there.

There have been some problems with the companies I bought dolls from. But those were either long in the past and recent reviews showed that they were getting better, or it was after I played the order and payed, that people had problems with their transactions.

There weren't really problems with my order. I was lucky many times, I guess.

20. A long wait time...even as long as a year...would not be a problem for me. However, poor customer service and the chance of receiving a doll with serious issues would make me reconsider ordering from a company.