1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a doll despite the 'warnings'.

Sep 24, 2010

1. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?

Depends on what the problems are. A long wait period wouldn't concern me, but a lack of communication and delays would.

Have you ever bought a doll from a company despite being warned?

I bought from Unidoll just as their company was beginning to go out of business.

What the experience like if so?

Unnerving to say the least. At that time, I was ok with losing that much money. But I'm very glad I did received my doll in the end.

And lastly why would you buy?

No, I would not buy from a company with serious problems.

2. I haven't bought my first doll yet, but applicable since I'm looking... it would depend on the specifics of the warning.

If it was something huge like evidence that the dolls were bootlegged or some customers were not receiving their dolls at all, I would run far away.

Something like a long wait time or poor communication, I would deal with for an item I really wanted, but might cause me to hesitate more if I was already on the fence.

If it was something like a repair or modification needed on arrival, it would depend on what that consisted of and if I felt reasonably confident I could do it... but I'm pretty brave about that stuff even for my first BJD, because I'm used to repairing and customizing types of dolls that are much less modification-friendly.

For example, I've read warnings about the doll type I'm looking most seriously at (Bobobie) that I'll probably need to restring my doll, but that hasn't put me off at all. I'm confident I can do that, because I've restrung other dolls.

Basically, I would evaluate on a case-by-case basis how the warning should affect me. The fact that someone else had an issue with a company or product doesn't necessarily mean I would, but at the same time, the voice of experience can be helpful and shouldn't be dismissed.

3. Absolutely not. I'm paranoid about money, and no way would I chance not getting it, or getting a bad condition, or...the idea is horrifying. Not to mention, waiting for Violet was a little longer than a week, and I was spastic as hell for the entire week. I could never wait months. D:
      Junkyspot is the only reason I can handle being in this hobby at all. Risks and I don't get along.

4. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      Like most people said, it really depends on the warning. If it's simply a long "wait" time, I probably would still buy from them as long as everything else was okay. But honestly, I try to go with popular companies because ABJDs are personally too expensive to take a risk on.

While I've considered it, I talked myself out of it. There were too many complaints about bad shipping that was not just long wait time; damaged goods and poor communication were some common themes.

5. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?

That depends on the problems. I wouldn't mind a longer wait time, because many companies need time to cast their dolls and don't always have some instock and ready to ship. Just given the nature of the hobby and dolls in general, I think that's acceptable. But I wouldn't tolerate poor or nonexistent communication or a history of botched orders. For the price you pay, there is no excuse for that.

When I first got into the hobby I found myself wanting a DIM Achernar and a Dolkot Ryou but I didn't end up buying either due to both companies having somewhat poor reviews. I still like both dolls, but I'm glad I didn't end up buying either one. Knowing what I know now, I don't think I would have been happy with them in the long run.

If there was something I absolutely needed to have and knew it would be difficult acquiring elsewhere or second hand, I might consider it. But I think poor service is inexcusable and disrespectful. I don't want to support a company that won't show me respect as a customer.

6. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      I thought no, but I recently realised that yes LOL!
      Not (yet).
      I really want that doll LOL.

7. How is that going to work? As a go leader you have no control over a company if they decide to not ship your items. I speak from experience. I did a go for Bambicrony and our order did not arrive for almost a year. I had to repeatedly email them with no response. Then I filed a police report. Sometimes there is really nothing that can be done. Take warnings seriously. I will never order from Bambi unless I am totally fine with saying good bye to my $$.
      Wait times are common for dolls but anything longer than 4 months borders on ridiculous in my book.

8. My sister ordered from Customhouse last year despite the 'scary' information. It took 8 months to receive a doll order that cost less than 200 dollars. If I in fact...liked their dolls still, I may order from them again despite the wait because of their prices.
      On the other hand, if it were a company like Fairyland or Soom (which does have long wait times but that doesn't matter since that is to be expected!] I would Not do it. It is completely wrong in my eyes to charge almost 500 dollars for a doll that may arrive in less than mint condition. I know there may be seam lines but scratches or marks of any kind on a doll that expensive it ridiculous to me.

9. I was foolish and bought one of those YuHao's that Mint on Card was selling for a minute, I had picked it out as my second doll but it became in stock and at almost half off so I bought it outright despite it being half off and MoC's warnings about it having rough sanding. While mine didn't have the rough sanding, it had the most awful face up that looked nothing like the demo photos, thankfully within a few weeks of owning her someone else wanted her as a project doll and I was able to get my now favorite doll.

Would I ever buy again from a company when there are warnings about the quality of a doll? Never. I just kept looking at my doll going, there are things wrong with her. I would rather have a doll I just look at and go, so cute! ^.^

10. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems? No. I wanted a CH Hani for so long and couldn't bring myself to by one from CH. I was extremely lucky to find her on the MP from a seller in my country.

Have you ever bought a doll from a company despite being warned? No.

11. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      It depends on what are the problems. If there are problems with the quality or that they are unreliable then no, if the problems in the wait time I would probably buy the doll from a distributor (ie DDE, MoC, or JS) if there was no way to get this doll save the company and the only problem was the waiting I would probably buy it.

No, I haven't bough a doll that I have been warned against, I am not so risky.
      What the experience like if so?

And lastly why would you buy? I wold probably need to be in love with the BJD and not have another sources to buy it from to even risk long wait times.

I have bought other things online that aren't dolls that I have been warned against and was lucky my purchase turned out okay but I do not plan to go against a warning especially when BJDs (to much money) are involved.

12. Have you ever bought a doll from a company despite being warned?
      I bought my first doll (Soom Cuprit) despite the fact that, during her ordering period, people were starting to get really fed up with Soom's extended wait times. Things only got worse as I waited for Cuprit, but I ordered a number of other dolls from Soom anyway. Wait times were, at the very worst point, over a year from the point of being fully paid off. For reference, a 'long' wait from Soom now is anything longer than about 3 months. So they were four times slower than they 'should' have been at the point where I was ordering from them.

What was the experience like if so?
      Not bad at all. I had my Cuprit on a very long layaway (6 months), and so by the time Soom were producing her, they'd improved their wait times dramatically. From memory, I only waited the 'usual' 3 month period from when I paid her off (so, a nine month wait in total). All my other purchases from Soom since then have also been fine - I've found their wait time is very predictable.

Because I trusted that the company was not shady, and would eventually deliver. It 'made sense' that Soom were a bit swamped (the dolls being the most delayed were Heliot and Amber, who people had ordered in huge amounts because it was thought that they'd be the final fantasy dolls Soom would ever produce), so I wasn't afraid Soom were scammers or anything like that. And since I was prepared to wait six months anyway (voluntarily, so I could have a more comfortable time paying gradually on layaway), I figured a few extra months wait would be no problem. I ended up being lucky and not even having that!

13. Would you buy from a company after being warned of potential problems?
      It'd depend on what the problems were. If it was just resin quality, the aesthetic appeal of the sculpt or bad communication then I wouldn't have a problem with ordering their products despite those things. If however it was a safety issue - such as unstable resin - or an issue with people not receiving items or receiving damaged items then I wouldn't buy from that company.

I wouldn't say I was warned personally but I was aware of the posing issues with Resinsoul and the debates over resin quality and eye wells before I bought my Long from them.

What was the experience like if so?
      The issues were definitely real (although I don't think their resin is very different from the other companies I've handled) but I find it to be a very pleasant and workable doll regardless. I'm happy with my purchase.

For the sculpt. If I really like a doll's face or body I can ignore that the left knee needs to be bent for it to stand or that putting eyes in it takes an hour.