1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a new doll or Outfitting the one(s) you have?

Sep 13, 2011

1. I've always been one for buy the doll, and then buy the stuff later. I feel that way though mostly cause I have a addiction to LE and that can get really pricey or hard to find it you hold off too long. >.<; So whatever money I get rarely goes to extra stuff, and usually goes to a new doll coming home! I will take the time to at least bring home one outfit, wig, and eyes for them usually. I admit I've been known to just get the doll, and then hope they come with something till I can figure something out.

Also, I don't have a 'line' or amount set for too many dolls. I'll just have too many dolls when I have too many dolls. xD

2. I've decided to make all of my doll's clothes, so I only buy wigs and eyes for them when it comes to "spoiling" them. This I usually do whenever I've gotten a new doll, because each doll only gets one pair of eyes and one wig that will be their default. Clothes wise, I'm never caught up with sewing for what was 3 dolls and magically became 13 when I wasn't looking O.O I swear, they buy themselves!

That said, I tend to be more likely to buy a new doll or head rather than a random pair of eyes or shoes for the one's I've got- they're generally kitted out already with those things, so my dolly shopping is usually pretty easy, I just update their looks whenever I've got a little spare cash. I don't need much for that, so when I get big windfalls, I go for new dolls.

3. I'm usually firmly on the "buy the doll!" side of the fence... There are so many beautiful dolls! And since I've been in the hobby since 2005, that's how I ended up with 30 dolls. (Eeeek.)

And really, recently I'm starting to be a bit unhappy about that.

All of my dolls have wigs, eyes and clothes, but in some cases, they're just the wigs, eyes and clothes I had leftover as opposed to the wigs, eyes and clothes that would really fit the character they're supposed to be. It's getting hard to really enjoy each doll, when there's so many. Some of my dolls haven't been photographed in 8 months, or changed into different clothes at least.

And I've noticed that buying dolls is starting to feel like a true addiction, which makes me uneasy. I've actually vowed last November that I wouldn't buy a new doll for a full year, and I lasted... about four months, I think, and I actually brought a whole bunch of dolls home this year. (Many were trades instead of bought, but still.)

For me, I've reached the point where I want to step back, take a deep breath and not buy any new dolls, but really spoil the ones I have for a while. I have one more doll to pay off, but after that, unexpected money, birthday money and so on is going to be spent on fabric and supplies so I can sew for the dolls I have.

That said, I don't think there can ever be a universal "rule" that says when you should buy a doll and when you should buy stuff for the dolls you already have. It's all a matter of how you, personally, enjoy the hobby. Are you mostly a collector -- gotta catch them all! --, or do you get your enjoyment mostly from playing with your dolls, in which case they should have an ample amount of clothes and accessories, imo... And I think everybody has their own personal limits on how many dolls are too many, or if they are bothered when a doll doesn't have the perfect eyes, wig or clothes or not.

I guess the bottom line is: as long as you have the money and you're not getting yourself into financial trouble, do what you enjoy.

4. I say buy the thing you whant most ! If you have enough clothes and all , I say you should go for the doll.
      Hmm , I`m having the same dilema righy now!
      I am saving money and I allready have arround 200$. While my dolls do have plenty of clothes , I need new ones xD, that reflect their particular style more. I also need 3 wigs and a pair of shoes. I think 200$ could take care of all that .
      But the thing is thet , right now I`m on a desperate hunt for my OC`s new bjd shell , since I traded the last cause it didn`t work. So while I don`t even know yet what doll I whant for her , I would reather buy a doll than clothes and stuff I think. And I also whant a luts soony . And at the same time , I`m tierd of not spending a penny for myself , and keep saving ( I`ve been saving for almost 3 years , basicly sinnce I started the hobby). I`m thorn right now.

5. I would....buy more dolls xD
      Thing about doll clothes is that you can make them (if you take the time to learn), or you can improvise. I recently got this adorable halloween sweater for my Bory boy from the dollar store...it was meant for teddy bears or something but it fits him just how I pictured it would.
      Wigs and stuff...I'm not sure. I have too many wigs lol. And I spend my con money at the doll panel so I'm getting new stuff every year anyway....

6. If I got an unexpected windfall, I would probably buy a doll!

For me, all of my dolls have only one outfit, wig, and a pair of eyes once the character is set. I prefer not to change them, and just go on to the next doll.

I start to get bothered when I have more than two MSD sized dolls! I prefer the tinies as they take up less space. I only have my bedroom/craft room to keep my dolls in, plus my clothes, books, and other stuff.

The decision is completely yours, as long as you are happy and not in debt, enjoy!!

7. I usually buy the doll and then the clothes before a new doll. I can't handle having naked dolls around and I do actually enjoy buying it for them. So for me it's doll, clothes, doll, clothes.

8. It depends for me. Right now, If I had that much, I'd payoff my Adzuki Bean and put the rest towards my Only-Doll YiFeng. But that's because these boys are my top priorities right now and I'd LOVE to pay off the layaway early!

If I don't have a doll planned out 110% positive when I get money, then it goes to clothing and accessories.

It just depends on what is needed most at the time. After I get my two layaway boys taken care of, it will be all about clothes and accessories for them for awhile.

9. I'm very careful as to which I'm going to get because of all the lovely molds out there. Since I only have my first doll and having enough money to get another doll, I'm closely looking at all different molds for my characters. I have a wishlist but it depends on which ones I'm loving now. I also gotta keep a lookout for my dream body for my first doll so I can get very indecisive and buying things. :sweat

10. I also just go with whatever it is I want more, but like you, often times I buy dolls over clothes/accessories ^^ I just can't help it!<3

11. I've decided to pay off my doll on layaway, then get some more clothes and things before bringing in the sisters I have planned, and probably buy them some clothes for before they get here, so they aren't nekkid. So you could say I go, doll, clothes, doll, clothes x3

12. I would probably buy the doll, despite the fact that I feel like I have too many dolls! There's just something exciting about buying a doll. However, unless it comes with an outfit, I usually go on a mini clothes/wig/eye buying spree for the new doll. So, sometimes my other dolls benefit when I purchase a new one because the new outfit looks better on them than the doll I bought it for. I have 18 dolls now + 2 incoming, and for me that's too many. I think once I got a certain number, the amount of money invested in them started to bother me.

I really don't like the idea of having a doll without a proper outfit. It the dolls didn't age, it wouldn't bother me, but since they do, I feel like not having proper clothes for them takes away time I can enjoy them while they're still new. I'm more interested in the collection/display aspect of the hobby. On the other hand, having too many outfits bothers me. If no one's wearing it, what use is it? I don't sell the clothes because I might want them in the future for a new doll, but it bothers me that I have doll clothes just sitting in the closet.