1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a pre-owned doll vs. buying a doll from the company

May 15, 2005

?
  1. Pre-owned

2. Brand-new

3. Don't care

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I would prefer my dolls "newborn" as then they would be mine. If I bought a doll from someone else they wouldn't really feel as if they were mine because they've already been personalized by someone else. I suppose that you could always make a doll your own by doing your own thing with it (customizing etc), but since I don't plan on doing much of that at all, I'd rather have them all mine to begin with ^_^

2. I think I prefer newborn, since the first thing I'd do with a doll would be to wipe the face-up off and repaint it myself.
      Pre-owned dolls have their own faceups which were made with a lot of love and care.

I think in a way I'm glad I couldn't take Val's Bestman Jun because I'd hate to wipe a Heavybomb faceup. :oops:

3. I agree. I don't really mind, as long as it's the doll I want. :3
      I do like the fact that the preowned ones already have an interesting story to tell.

4. I prefer both,
      At first I only wanted new dolls but after awhile I change my mind and
      decided that buying a 2nd hand one wouldn't be so bad. :grin:

5. Hm, I have both.. ^^ Since people tend to keep their dolls in wonderful condition, I don't mind having a previously owned doll.. BUT.. if that doll had a history that was really long and well-documented (as planetariumfish mentioned, Val's Jun was a good example XD;; ), I would feel very strange adopting that doll. *Especially* to make into a specific character. But a previously owned doll that I know nothing about... that'd be fine and dandy.. not to mention, that's sometimes the only way to get limiteds..

6. I really enjoy playing frakendolly. Take a head from this doll, a body from this one, a part from that one. It's such a wonderful way for a doll to come into their own, by taking what is available and making something exceptional out of it. I let Juniper assemble herself, she was just a little feeling in the back of my head that went-- Yes. That one! ...and I was helpless to resist. :P

I having a choice between new and preowned, I would get preowned. :)

7. Funny, I've recently had a couple of conversations about this. XD

The general answer I came up to is that I don't mind having a previously owned doll at all, as long as I didn't know their personality beforehand, because then I'd feel like they were that doll, and not my own so-and-so, if you know what I mean. My Shirou had 2 owners before me, but neither bonded with him, so he never had a personality before Hale, so that worked for me.

Previously owned dolls do I think have character though - especially those with mods, or a particular face up. They'd be fun to work with, I'm sure...

8. Two of my four are preowned, and so is the one on the way ^^0 I don't *really* mind either way, but I have a tendency towards buying secondhand dolls as I find it really sad that they are being sold...

9. it REALLY depends on the doll. My only "adopted" doll thus far is Penelope, but she didn't have a strong personality from her first owner so I felt like I could make her whatever I wanted. And every time I play with her, I love her more.

10. My little boys came preowned from two DoA members who I admire a lot, so in a way, I feel like they got a "contact cool". But it was also very special buying Hana in person at a Volks store -- like I was bringing her to life. When it comes down to it though, I don't care either way as long as I like the doll.

11. I have three new and two pre-owned dolls. I bought the pre-owned dolls for the same reason I bought the new ones: something about them drew me and I "clicked" with them. It doesn't bother me that somebody else owned them before I did.

12. Well, I must admit my pre-owned dolls have a stronger personality than my brand new ones...
      So maybe I prefer getting pre-owned dolls, but their price must be appropriate to their condition.
      Anyways, when I get a doll the most important thing to me is that I like him/her ^__^

13. I wouldn't care either way. When I see a certain doll I don't think "is it brand new?" I choose my dolls by the way they "speak" to me when I first see them. Perowned or new has very little to do with it when I fall for a doll. If they've been preowned or not they are "reborn" when they enter my life. ~Jsut my two cents.

14. I was wondering, what do most people prefer, to buy a doll directly from the company, or to buy it second-hand? I apologize if there is another thread concerning this topic; but I searched and couldn't find anything. Also, what are the advantages and disadvantages of different buying options?

I guess there are a lot of circumstances that would affect somebody's decision. For example, if the doll is limited and sold out permanently, the only choice would be to purchase it second-hand. But what about a doll that isn't limited, and is still in production? I mean, even if the price is the same or a little lower, there may be slight yellowing or light scratches that you may not know about when you buy a doll second-hand. But, if you buy a doll from the company, it probably won't be damaged.

So, what's your opinion?

15. I got my Arashi second-hand eight months after his initial release and he was perfect. On the other hand, a friend of mine got a Hewitt one whose previous owner had glued the ankles and the waist (making posing impossible) so it's really a crapshoot, although most people who I know have purchased from the second-hand market have had pretty good luck.

In the end, it does boil down to limited/nonlimited. Limited dolls are more easily attained through a second-hand market, where non-limited dolls would be much better straight from the manufacturer, in my opinion. A lot of times, anyway, the second-hand doll market ups the price.

So in other words they both have their advantages and disadvantages.

16. I have one pre-owned doll and I've bought 3 +2 heads from companies... I must say its a little easier buying direct rather than preowned :sweat easier to know you are getting what you pay for and not scammed, cheated etc.

I love my Lucine (pre-owned) but it was a bit troublesome to get her :sweat the box was ripped when it arrived and her previous faceup just did not want to come off *_* :doh

17. I prefer to get a new doll. But if someone want to sell her/his doll I would like to see the doll (in photos, but I would prefer to meet) and if I like how is it and the price is nice I would buy.

18. I don't have a preference--I've done both and had good experiences with companies and second hand dolls from individuals. The three that I have second hand I got here off the market place and all three sellers were great to deal with. Buying preowned dolls has the advantage of cheaper shipping and not having the wait times.

19. I often go for pre-owned dolls... Sometimes it's cheaper. Other times, I just feel bad about the doll that's being sold. ^^;

20. If there was a mold i was looking for that was for say limited or its hard to find i would go to the 2nd hand market!! very good prices~! Right now im trying to get a school head A so for the next 3 monthes i'll be doing some stalking there ^_^ ! haha! (still has no money yet). But be careful! also look at feedback!!