1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a pre-owned doll vs. buying a doll from the company

May 15, 2005

?
  1. Pre-owned

2. Brand-new

3. Don't care

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I actually like pre-owned better on the off-chance the doll comes with a gorgeous custom face-up and for the sake of not waiting what seems like a hojillion months to receive the doll in the mail as impatience definitely gets the best of me.

2. I don't mind either way. I find that pre-owned dolls are more posable because there is a chance that they've been restrung and sueded etc. Where as, a brand new doll can be very stiff and difficult to pose.

3. I don't really care either way. I currently have more newly bought dolls than pre-owned dolls, but I'll always keep an eye out for pre-owned pretties ^^

4. My first doll was pre-owned and came with his certificate and I love him but I also have discovered that it bothers me that I don't have his box and pillows. I don't think newness matters but the complete package does.

5. I love old dolls and new ones, so both? I don't mind getting an old doll as long as the owner didn't damage it beyond recognition. Old dolls are precious, they have history and love as well as care and uniqueness. Meanwhile a new doll is like a baby being born. ^^

6. well my first doll is a pre-owned (went through 3-5 owners before she went to me) and my second one (which I just ordered) is a new one, so it'll be an experience worth while, especially the box opening

7. I think that it doesnt metter - the main thing is the sculpt. Plus this, pre-owned doll are sometimes much more "alive" then new ones.

8. i would prefer a brand new. i would buy a gently used/barely used doll though

9. I prefer brand new.
      But I also love how some sculpts might be the one's you're not thrilled with but then you see them on the market place with an amazing face-up and go wow - I didn't even know that's what I was looking for.

10. I prefer to buy dolls brand new when I can, but that's because I'm often a bit fussy (I need X sculpt in Y skintone with Z fantasy parts and with the default face-up). When I find secondhand dolls that fit my goals, I'm not unhappy to buy them, though. As it stands, most of my dolls (bodies and heads) have been bought new, but a decent number of my fantasy parts have been picked up secondhand.

11. I have both new and pre-owned dolls. I love them all the same. There are pros and cons to both. For example, used can often be less expensive, plus there aren't months of waiting time for the doll to be made and shipped. Instant gratification, as it were.

On the other hand, new is good because should the doll arrive damaged or something (as happened to me with my last purchase), you can usually contact the doll company and they'll replace damaged parts and cast new ones for you. Also, you also know you're getting a legitimate doll, whereas if you purchase from another owner, you take a risk of being scammed out of your money and not receiving anything, or sent a doll that has damage that wasn't disclosed, or might be, heaven forbid, a recast. So far nothing like that has happened to me but I have heard stories. If you choose to buy used, do your research on the seller. Look through feedback, compare asking prices with other sellers/companies, and just be cautious in general.

12. I don't mind either way - if used doll is in a good condition :)

13. I'd much prefer new, as that way I can start a journey with that doll. That said, all my current dolls are pre-loved, and I've bonded with them regardless.

14. I really couldn't tell you why, but brand-new dolls appeal to me more. I will totally buy pre-owned dolls though. I just would prefer to buy new.