1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a pre-owned doll vs. buying a doll from the company

May 15, 2005

?
  1. Pre-owned

2. Brand-new

3. Don't care

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I have heard so many horrorstories about dolls arriving dirty, not in the condition they were supposed to or the seller being a fluke, so I prefer buying from companies.

Plus, I like the idea of a doll being made specially for me. ^^

2. You just never know, I don't regret getting some things. But with many things I've bought, I've found that even 'ZOMG she's so nice to make transaction with' didn't say things they should have, like slight frost over one eye, or not the same size pupil, or scratches and such. (for dolls and doll things)

But then again, company experiences aren't always good either. Some companies, no matter how reputable, just aren't able for one reason or another to fix a goof!

Either way I guess. I got Abacus and Thief from others because Abacus I wanted to make into a boy, and then Thief new from an owner (who I assume bought to sell, he was mint so doesn't really count) I just was unable to get them from Volks directly. Both went well.

And when I got Carrot from HM, it went very well too. So either way really. ^^ As long as whatever source is reputable.

3. I don't really mind, actually. I know that most BJD owners take great care of their dolls, and so they're probably in a good condition. Actually, there's something nice having a doll with a bit of already- acquired history and a story behind it. i really don't have a problem with buying second- hand dolls, especially that with many limited and rare dolls it seems to be the only way to go.

4. Depends on the doll for me. ^^

5. Yeah, I think it's mostly the residual gasses that are still seeping to the surface of the resin. And since the smell builds up when the doll is in the box so long, when you open up the box... WHEW! *_*

That sage and sweetgrass idea is cool! Narindolls used to have a little compartment in their heads where you could put a nice smelling satchet. I always thought it was a nice idea. :)

Sorry for the OT! :sweat

6. To me, it really depends - I feel that 'some of the bond is lost' when buying used; and then there is allways the risk of unspecified damages.. [ Gluing joints? WTF? O_o; ] Usualy the price for an otherwise brand-new doll is amazing, so... it's all personal oppinion. XD

*Incohearently rambles with no point in sight*

7. I personaly don't mind either way. I have one of each - I think its all down to circumstance, and fate (if you beleive in those sorts of things). I hate to sound corny, but I guess that's how I feel. *shrugs* ^_^
      -Vega

8. I only own one doll, but she was pre-owned and bought through ebay, and she was perfect, except for crazy legs/arms, but from what I've seen, that's normal even for a brand new one.

It's also a plus that she came with the faceup, wig, clothes and a carrying bag, so maybe I just got lucky. But for what it's worth, I say pre-owned is a good way to go. Just use common sense and ask lots of questions in order to avoid scammers.

9. The reason I bought my first BJD was because I saw her in person at a doll show, and was just taken by her personality. It didn't bother me that she was secondhand, because I didn't know enough to ask the proper questions, and anyway, she was considerably less money than a new one, and she was right there. She did need sueding (Lishe with kicky legs) and that was taken care of.

The boy doll was purchased from the US Agent (junkySpot) of the company that makes him in China (DollZone). He has a factory face up, which may be slightly changed, I haven't yet made up my mind. I liked his tall and slender frame and was not disappointed when he arrived.

So I didn't vote because both ways of purchasing worked for me.

10. I think I'd much prefer to get the doll straight from the company.

If it's a general release, there's no problem getting it from the company at any time. I don't go for faceups anyway, so there isn't much point unless the second-hand doll is substantially cheaper, which is usually isn't. I'd only get a general release doll second hand if the price is really, really good, or if it comes as a set (once more, at a reasonable price), or if it's already in my country.

For limiteds, you'd be paying exhorbitant mark-ups (e.g. $900 for a head, $3500 for a blank, damaged doll, etc), which I personally cannot agree to. Unless the doll is 'the one', I'd rather not.

I bought my Camui second hand because, at that time, he *was* limited and he was sold out. Also, he was marginally cheaper than if I had ordered from the company + next day collection since he was in the country. And there was the element of fate:

What are the chances that, on the day before Christmas, I put up a WTB and got an answer almost immediately from someone who happened to live in my (very small) country?

What are the chances that it would happen again? Didn't work this year, sorry. *laughs*

So, unless fate dictates it, I'd prefer to deal with companies. ^_^

11. All the dolls I have are currently factory fresh and not previously owned. Though I have bought heads before pre-owned. I think I prefer the newness that straight from the company dolls have. n.n

12. Meh there are pro's and con's for both in my opinion. I wouldn't mind buying either way.

From the Company:
      Pros
      The doll will be in new condition
      If there is any damage when you receive the doll they will replace it.
      You can specify how you want the faceup (some companies)

Cons
      You have to wait a long time to actually get your doll
      Tax (depending on the companies/your location)
      Over seas shipping (depending on the companies/your location)
      You might have to wait for a lottery (shakes fist at Volks)

Second hand:
      Pros:
      You will get your doll rather fast once it is paid for
      You can get dolls that are sold out on the companies webpage
      You can haggle (depending on the seller)
      You might make a new friend in the process!
      You can save a doll from a life of sitting in a box or on a shelf and never getting played with!

Cons
      Chance you may be scammed
      You will probably pay more than what the company would charge you
      You need to (should) do some research on the seller before hand
      The paranoia of waiting to get your doll to be 110% sure you wernt scammed

13. it doesnt make any difference to me as long as the doll is what i want and in the condition that i want ^_^

my fave doll (volks f16) has changed hands 3 times before i am finally his owner. but i think it adds to the character :D, there's a certain charm about buying something which had been pre-owned...like going to an antique store.

14. I have one of each. My CP Shiwoo was bought second-hand from the market place. And my Cherishdoll Chubby was purchased from the site. I tihnk I like second-hand better for the mere fact that I save on shipping and the wait time isn't as long.

15. I've only had experience buying direct from the company so far, but I must say that in this instance, even if I had found a Shall secondhand for much less than the company sells her for, I still would have gone with the company. What are the chances that a secondhand Shall would have a Tender head, and the brand new high-heel feet they just released? Slim to nil. And then the resin probably wouldn't match if I bought the extra parts new from the company.

*shrugs* But I don't think I'd mind buying secondhand, someday, as long as it suits what I'm looking for at that time.

16. Not many people mentioned this but - I feel what the real determining factor aside from the obvious is also: what do you intend to do with your doll?
      I prefer second hand dolls because I am getting something that is guaranteed not to be perfect; therefore I won't be spoiling it.
      I enjoy modifying and repairing dolls in subtle and aesthetically pleasing ways.

^^

17. I have bought two dolls second hand. One of them had a crappy faceup, and I ended up selling her instead of sending her for a repaint. The other one is just perfect and I love her to bits. I admit that is nice to get a brfand new doll, to be the first one to get to play with them, get them in pristine condition. Plus, sometimes it is even cheaper to buy from the company. The plus sides of adopting is that you do not have to wait ages for the doll to be shipped, the previous owner may have improved the doll (by wiring, sueding or doing a nice faceup) and sometimes that's the only way to get sold out dolls. :)

18. I've bought dolls both ways. I have to say I generally prefer getting it directly from the company. I'm not sure why. Maybe because I feel I have more recourse if something is wrong? I certainly don't love my pre-owned babies any less than my others. Adoption is adoption whether or not your doll knew another guardian or not.
      Nancy

19. I prefer to purchase directly from the company, but I never rule out a good deal in the second hand market!!

20. I only buy from the company if I can't find I need in the secondhand market. Right now I am looking for a SD Volks 13 girl body. I will most likely get that from the secondhand market. I see no problems buying secondhand market as long as the doll is good shape or has something I can fix about it (like it's not stringed or sanded). It can possibly be better than new with sueding, sanding, blushing, or face up already done.

I do buy from the company a lot because it's hard to find things I like. I have odd taste. I like really simple and normal things. That sometimes hard to find in the secondhand market.