1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a pre-owned doll vs. buying a doll from the company

May 15, 2005

?
  1. Pre-owned

2. Brand-new

3. Don't care

Multiple votes are allowed.
Results are only viewable after voting.
    1. I would prefer to buy directly from the company. Unless the second-hand person is extremely trustworthy and has a very good deal!

2. I have done both and had good experiences.Since most of my dream dolls are sold out at the companies,buying pre-owned is my only choice.But i prefer myself being the doll's first owner if that's possible ^^

3. I voted for the first option:buy my new dolls from the company.
      Although I have two adopted dolls and one head.
      When I met this hobby, my boyfriend gave me a second hand DOC Too as a gift and he was my first doll, then I bought an old f-08 and a ani elf head. This was in this way, because at this time we didn't know how to buy dolls directly from its companies.

4. My first BJD was second hand from a board member and is just great. I will sooner or later buy from a company but like adopting

5. I lucked out with Ransome, Rose was selling just what I wanted. She's from the US so mailing was a lot simplier. He was in perfect condition.Rose even sent him in his original box. With a long wig ( I cut and hate myself for ) his carrrying bag,a cute little critter hat,some eye sticky stuff.
      YUP so im waiting for someone from USA to sell me thier elfdoll soah.
      I think I prefur 2nd handed dolls because ordering one from a company acrossed seas takes way too long.

6. I bought my Mabel from a shop that stocks a few bdj's but I would buy either preowned or new. Most of the ones I like are new so its not an option except for one that I have been wanting for a while now that is no longer available.

7. Half my dolls are from the companies and half of them are pre-ownd. I think that I've come to the conclusion I prefer new dolls as they are less likely to have more flaws that come with any used items. I have to say I wasn't always pleased with the condition of my adoptees. I'd still be willing to buy second hand if either it is less than buying new, it is not in production, or it has a to-die-for faceup and extras.

8. I have mostly pre owned and even put togeather....a head from here and a body from there. All have worked out just fine. I do have one FCS I do love but the face up was less then I wanted...so she off for a new face up!

9. I just realized I went for "from the company" when I clicked on the poll, but of my (soon to be) four dolls and two heads, they'll be evenly split between company purchased and bought from other collectors, and I've been delighted with the condition of every one I've received.

That said, I bought the two used dolls Ryung and Kkotmu from local people, on DoA, and picked them up so I had a chance to meet their previous owners and see them when I paid for them, and that's probably the best possible way to do it. And I got the chance to meet a couple of very nice doll people too.

My Narae, I ordered through Catrina and she was a guardian angel every step of the way, so my incoming Elf Lishe will be the first test of "Just me and the company" purchasing. I think I worry most about the Post Office's part in this scenario.

Beyond all that, It's fun having a brand-new doll but I find I kind of like knowing a doll has had a bit of life before she got to me. I like used books too, and furniture and old houses.

10. I prefer buying pre-loved, something about giving them a forever home feels amazing. Though of course I've also given a home to dolls direct from the company, as my doll family comes down to which dolls struck my fancy best, rather than how I obtained them.

Sera~

11. I prefer bringing them home from a company as well. I like to think that they are 'born' in the company... so they are my children when they are home ;;^^. Second- handed is more like adoption for me... which I like as well but just not as much.

12. I have one pre owned doll and 1 bought new,with one bought new on lay-a-way..My pre owned was cheaper and I didn't have to wait..She was /is in excellent shape...So happy both ways..
      Phyllis B

13. I agree with Sera. I bought my first resin beauty, Soah, from the lovely Opal. I've always thought to buy her directly, but I'm very proud to be the 3rd gaurdian of such a wonderful doll with a history. She is in pristine condition and the fact that she is preowned never bothered me.

I understand that we may not all bond with our dolls. And can you imagine some people won't want to sell their babies to just anybody either? I'm a very lucky gal who got my first choice love. A seller I could trust and I'm greatful she trusted me!

My second babes (Mano) I bought new. I love her just as equally but I feel the adoption experience with Soah was much more rewarding and exciting.:aheartbea

14. I've just 'adopted' a Lati and it doesn't bother me she was owned by someone before me. I don't mind either way.

15. So far I've bought my first two dolls straight from Volks.

However I'm open to adoption.. I had my eye on an auction for a YO-SD with her eyes open, but the seller ended the auction because the doll was no longer for sale. :...(

16. I bought my first doll second-hand, and I'm super glad I did. Because she was second-hand, she was all set up, coming with a face-up (that I have since changed, but it's nice to have one to start), a bunch of clothes, wigs, etc. Ready to play with and customize as I saw fit!
      Plus, there was a 1 week wait, compared to a 1-3 month wait. ^_^

Since then I have purchased 2 through companies. I'm very happy with them, and they are wonderful. But I'm really glad I did not do that first. dolls usually come nekkid. which is honestly just not attractive in a doll. And if you get the pre-done face-up, it's too good to have the courage to wipe off, but if you don't, you recieve a clothes-less, face-less doll. If you've never owned a doll before, that could be a little daunting. ("You mean I have to FINISH it still?!") For someone who is ready and who wants to customize, this is a great option. But it would have been too difficult for me, right off the bat. And not customizing at all... well, the entire reason I like dolls is to sew/paint/play, so yeah. I don't need/want a company completed type for me.

So, anyway, to answer the question, it depends on the situation. I think I prefer second hand, really. But either way is fine. Second-hand is just kinda nice, because the doll often comes with a little love packed right in. ^_^

17. I buy everything I can second hand, also other things than dolls. I still bought my first one from the company since I didn't have any experience of these dolls and just wanted to be sure and do it the way I know is safe.

But now I prefer adopting, it's often a little cheaper and I support recycling. ^^ Though it bothers me a bit first if they have their previous face-ups and everything on. I don't immediately get the feeling that the doll is really mine the same way when buying a new doll from the company.

18. for me, I'm from Italy, is better to by a sencond hand doll from another people from Europe, you don't have to wait 2 or 3 month beacause your doll is lost in the custom-house and you don't have to pay custom duty

Wendy is a second hand doll and is perfect, and in sencond hand market there are also good price, but if I have enought money I'll buy a doll also from the company

So for me it's the same

kisses

Elisa
      from old Italy

19. I would prefer new,
      basically i dont really like 2nd hand things,
      also usually pre owned dolls are sold almost at the same price as new (only with more clothes/wigs sometimes) its hard to get good deal.
      So as the price difference is not so much i prefer to get new..

20. I'm in the UK, so (like 3lysa) buying second-hand from another person in Europe works out far cheaper than buying a doll new from the company, due to the lack of custom fees. Fortunately, I've been very lucky in that the dolls I want have come up for sale in the UK.