1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying a Tan Dollshe, What should I know?

May 21, 2008

1. Okay, for some time I've been putting this off, just hoping that I could get my tanned hound. But now I feel like I should quickly get him before people's inflation make him as rare as a Volks cute Renee. :(

((If this is in the wrong place, please correct me and I'll move it. ^^;; ))

I know in general you must be very careful of their resin and sun is bad. When doll searching, and most importantly for Tanned doll searching, I'd like to know the good, the bad and the ugly. ^^

I've compiled a list some questions about hounds and there resin, etc. Off the top of my head. ^^
      --------------------------

About what is the going selling price for a Tanned Hound? (as I rarely
      see them put up for sale. :...()

When looking to buy a Hound what should I look for? (bad and good points please. ^^)

What are some precautions to take when handling or modding a Tanned Hound? (I already know sun is bad.)

Should I get owner pictures of their joints? (I've been told they "chaff"? o.O)

What kind of care can I take, when wiping the pre-existing faceup on a tanned Hound?? (what products, or special modders do that?)

Does anyone know of someone who I guess would "specialize" in Tanned dolls?

Should I get one that is sueded, or should I suede mine, or just leave it as is?

-======================================

Thanks so much for your time!! ^^ :aheartbea

2. Anyone?? ^^;;

3. Gah, I know someone here knows. ^^;;

4. I'm moving this to the Larger Dolls subforum for you, although your questions seem split between owning a Dollshe boy and caring for a tanned doll - there are threads in the Customizing subforum about the care and feeding of our tanned resin.

Yes, the tanned DS boys do have chafe marks. Ask for good photos and if the marks are going to be hidden by wigs or clothing, there just won't be a discount for that - tanned DS are just that way. Rubs are part of it, but be careful you don't have rubs on the face.

DS boys can be hot-glue sueded, they can use kips, they can be wired, they can use internal plastic armatures - there's lots of way to stabilize the bodies.

5. Alright, very helpful!! ^^ I know more than what I did a few days ago... :( lol

Thanks so much!! :aheartbea

6. Anyone else have some ideas?? ^^;;

7. Wow, lots of help around here XD; lol

8. Zagzagael hinted that maybe you should search the threads for information on caring for your tan resin doll. I think people are not answering because the information is in the forum already if you look for it. I will try to answer some of your other questions:

About what is the going selling price for a Tanned Hound? (as I rarely
      see them put up for sale. )

Because they're rarely up for sale, and because Hounds were recently discontinued, there isn't a good answer to this question except that it's likely going to be a higher price than what the doll originally sold for (you can see the prices still on sites like Luts, and remember a tan doll cost more than a normal or white to begin with) due to its now being unavailable from the manufacturer. Also, a lot will depend on things like whether a good faceup, wig and eyes are included, whether extras like clothes are included, the condition of the doll, and so forth.

When looking to buy a Hound what should I look for? (bad and good points please. ^^)

I have no idea what you're getting at here. You could have "bad and good points" if you were comparing Hound to other dolls, e.g. what are the bad and good points of a Hound vs. a Luts Senior Delf, but bad and good points of a Hound standing alone depends on the condition and look of the individual doll (such as does it have damage, does it have a faceup, the level of skill of the faceup, does it have mods, do you like the mods, etc.) and if you like him.

What are some precautions to take when handling or modding a Tanned Hound? (I already know sun is bad.)

You probably don't want to scratch them, and unless you're a very professional modder I would not try modding a tanned doll. Sanding can damage them. Please also search for the resin care threads mentioned to you.

Should I get owner pictures of their joints? (I've been told they "chaff"? o.O)

If it's important to you that the joints be un-chaffed then yes, get pictures.

What kind of care can I take, when wiping the pre-existing faceup on a tanned Hound?? (what products, or special modders do that?)

Please see the resin care threads mentioned to you.

Does anyone know of someone who I guess would "specialize" in Tanned dolls?

I don't know of anyone who "specializes" in tanned dolls. There aren't that many out there so a faceup artist or modder who just did tanned dolls would be limiting themselves greatly. You can probably find some artists who've worked on tan Dollshes before. People like Sdink have a lot of Dollshe dolls, including tanned ones.

Should I get one that is sueded, or should I suede mine, or just leave it as is?

Depends on if you care that much about it holding a pose. Lots of us like floppy Hounds. Other people like them to not pop their joints and pose better, especially if they take a lot of photographs of the doll. Sueding helps with that. So does wiring.

I hope this helps, but if you have questions you're more likely to get help if you go to a specific thread (e.g. one on resin care) and ask a very specific question than just say "I want to get an X doll, here's a lot of questions, can someone help me?" Finding the specific thread shows that you've done basic research and can make people more willing to help. :daisy:

9. Very helpful! ^^;; As sometimes a bit hard headed and don't catch things. lol ^^;;
      Well, what I mean is, what it a good thing about have a 70cm doll, points of view from people who own them, VS. smaller dolls. The biggest I own atm is MSD's, so I'd like to know from owners what is advantages and disadvantages of owner a larger doll. Does the Dollshe boys have posing abilities others cannot?
      Along with points of Dollshe boys posing VS. other companies, to get a clear idea of what to expect. ^^;
      Like, does Luts Senior Delf pose better? Other companies with large dolls like the SOOM boys, are they easier to pose than Dollshe or Senior Delfs?
      Also, how do they yellow? Are there areas that for some reason yellow faster than others? And yes I know that it depends on how much light hits it in certain areas, I'm looking to know, if there is specific areas that I should look out for. This answers my question about what should I look for when buying Tanned Hound, because it allows me to be aware of any key areas and ask seller for pictures. ^^
      With that answered, moving to care for Hounds, am I to assume that I in general keep him out of light at all?
      I know Bambicrony colored resin seems to yellow mostly on the arms.

I'm looking for different prospectives. Whether or not if I like the doll head mold is irrelevant in this question. ^^ I'm looking strictly at body. And I'm trying to keep it out of the doll care area, but seems to keep finding it's way circle around to it. XD;;

10. If you just want info on the pros and cons of Dollshe owning I'd recommend doing an advanced search, using the keyword "Dollshe" in a title only search. There are threads covering pretty much every question you're asking.

I'm supposed to be going out tonight so I don't have time to link them all for you. ;)

11. Hmmm, well I don't really think the old Dollshe body is the world's best posing body. It's like I said, floppy, which is why so many people wire or suede their Hounds. The fact that it's so tall with such skinny legs makes it a bit unwieldy in my experience. That said, I love Dollshe guys and have lots of them with all the different old discontinued Dollshe bodies. I don't photograph my dolls much and don't mind if they pose like dolls or puppets (floppy) instead of super-realistically, in fact I kind of like it.

But please remember Mr. Dollshe is not making those bodies anymore - he has a brand new body which is on the Dollshe threads, and it will be more buff and perhaps will pose much better/differently - so you may want to wait for that.

I think many people loved the Dollshe guys because of their pretty face sculpts and also because they were one of the first if not the first 70 cm male dolls. The other companies like Soom, Dollmore, and so forth who make those tall guys brought them out later on, after Dollshe had sold lots of dolls.

Perhaps the best thing would be, in addition to looking up those threads idrisfynn mentioned, if you went to a meet where there might be some Dollshe boys, so you could see one. They are really different from MSDs being so much bigger, and you might or might not like the way a big heavy doll feels.

12. Hmm, alright. ^^

Do you know if he will still make tanned ones though?? >.<;; And also any idea about how long until they come out? ^^;; I know I'm asking for a bit much. lol

13. Yes Dollshe will still be making tan dolls, but the new tan is going to be a lot darker. From what I read in the discussion thread about the new Dollshe releases, there will be more skintones offered than before?!?

In this LJ entry by SDink you can see the new Dollshe tan (head) vs. the old, lighter tan (body).

14. O__O Oh wow!! He looks beautiful!! :D A bit darker than I hoped for my Thanos, but there may be more skin tones offered??!? O.O :aheartbea That would be great!! ^^

My main concern would still be how they pose and their "chaffing" on their new lushious skin tones. Y_Y