1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. Hah! I once bought a doll to fit a pair of shoes !

They are beaded leather Native American hand made moccasins, and I pined for them for months until I bought them, and the Iplehouse Leona I bought to fit them Is now definitely my favorite doll...but I admit, I GOT LUCKY!!! I have never gotten anything for a doll I had not ordered otherwise.

2. Nothing wrong with that. If you really like it get it. When you get the doll in the future you may not be able to find any shirt like that again!

3. I began buying clothes for my incoming doll at least a month before I ordered her. Funnily enough, I ended up buying a doll I liked more than the original one!

4. By 'don't have' it could mean that you don't have one physically at hand (I.e. In waiting room, layaway, etc.), a doll you wanted exists but you don't buy them or even a doll that has not even existed but you anticipate for their future production (usually the case for celebrity line dolls or anime character dolls). In my case, I have bought stuff for all three types of 'don't have' dolls :sweat

I think it's okay to buy stuff for the doll that you don't have if you have a clear plan in mind instead of impulse purchases, which I think many of us do as well xD

5. I had been buying a lot of clothing for my doll before he had arrived, I knew 100% that he was coming and I felt pretty comfortable buying things for him for that reason.
      I'm not sure I'd feel comfortable buying things for a doll I haven't bought already but thats just me! I'm a naturally paranoid person and I'd worry that I'd end up buying things for a doll I'll end up not getting at the end of the day.

6. I'm guilty of this ;) However, I only buy things if I've already bought the doll, and am currently waiting for them to mail out, or if I'm paying off a layaway.

7. I currently have 3 pairs of eyes and an MSD sized dress for a doll I do not own. That's as far as I've gotten in buying things for a doll I do not have.
      I do plan on getting a doll down the road but I haven't made the full commitment yet to purchase any part of the doll yet. It's a huge expense and I'm afraid of sliding down the slippery slope of buying 1 doll then another then another and then I have like 10+ dolls before I know it. I really do plan on getting the doll since I have almost all of the aesthetics picked out but it's just taking that initial step to purchase that scares me.
      But I don't think there's anything wrong with buying things for a doll you don't have but plan on having later on. Or if you end up not getting one later, you could always sell the item. But I know that I probably won't sell anything I bought...well maybe the eyes. But I bought the MSD dress for aesthetic purposes. It's the inspiration for future dolls :)

8. bought a limited fullset several months ago...for a doll someone 'just offered' to me lol I planned to buy later from the site anyhow lol. I nearly always buy one complete look from wigs, to shoes to an outfit. for any doll I have on my 'to buy' list. I have lots of boy clothing for the size I only have girls in and my nYID boy will have too much to choose from when i finally can get "him" lol...

9. It depends on the person. For me personally I'm too scared to buy much for my doll without having her yet (because I don't know if it will fit or look good on her) but if you know it will work for the doll and you really plan on buying the doll, I don't see an issue with it. Especially since if it doesn't work out, you can resell it later.

10. I buy a few SD size items despite all my SD's only being heads right now (my only full doll is MSD). Cuz how I see it is if you see something you like for a doll you should get it no matter what cuz then it's there for when a doll can actually use it and you won't regret having left something that would have been perfect for a doll!

11. I am waiting for my new doll right now, but I have already bought a dress set and shoes for her. I don’t see any problem with it. It’s your money and you can spend it wherever you want to spend. If you know you want that item for your future doll, I don’t see problem with you buying that shirt.

12. I bought stuff for my girls while I was waiting on them. I try not to look too hard at doll items that won't fit them. I don't want to fall in love with something and have to buy a doll to fit it. :? I still don't have eyes that I like for my girls or a wig for Zea, I can't afford to just spend on doll things willy nilly.

13. xD Today received 2 corsets and a dress for a doll i just ordered by the end of february and will probably not arrive until August. Already received a corset+skirt and shoes for her a few weeks ago and her wig and stockings are on the way too.
      When i have and idea for a doll i start looking arround for items for them and put it on wishlists but i don't buy it until i actually have the doll payed off or know for sure i will be able to order them soon.
      I thinks it definitly motivates and makes you keep up the hope in these long waiting times to have small pieces of their character in hand. ^.^

14. Freaking do it. I found an absolutely gorgeous renaissance style gown once. It was perfect for 'casual' wear for the doll I planned on using to shell my D&D Paladin. But I didn't have her yet. All I knew was that I wanted an SD female for her.

I didn't shell that character for a good 5 years.

But guess what? The dress looks gorgeous on her and was totally worth getting and holding to. Buy the outfit and if you ever change your mind, you can always sell it.

15. I... I have a Dollheart outfit, wigs, eyes, even lashes for dolls that I was planning to get years ago. I also used to buy all kinds of items for a doll house that I may or may not build in the future. :XD:

So in my case, the problem is I keep changing my plans. But I don't see anything wrong with buying things for future/imaginary dolls. I mean, you know yourself (and your budget) best, it's your choice.

16. I am not opposed to buying items for a doll that I do not yet own. There was a closet of clothes and wigs waiting for my female grail well before she even arrived! I see nothing wrong with gradually expanding the number of items for a doll, but I also like having everything ready so that a doll can be completed right out of the box. :3nodding:

17. LOL I think I just buy clothes for my dolls so that if I get another they don't have to be naked.

18. I think about it but I never actually end up doing it because that could end up being a bad decision ^^' If you know for sure you're getting that said doll soon and you know what fits it then that's perfectly fine to go ahead and buy clothes for it. Otherwise you should probably think about it first. :lol:

19. I bought my first BJD dress long before I ever bought the doll it was meant for. It was handmade and there wasn't a chance I could buy it at a later date, so buying it was absolutely a time-sensitive issue. Up to that point, I wasn't convinced that this hobby was worth it for me due to the outrageous price involved, but that dress...! Of course I found a doll I went head-over-heels for and it was definitely the right choice for me. (She still looks bangin' in that dress!)

20. I've bought clothes for a doll I'd ordered but hadn't received yet. Perfectly reasonable. I wouldn't just buy something that wouldn't fit any of my current (ordered or on hand) dolls. Although, considering I have one of each size, it'd be hard to find something that wouldn't fit one of them...