1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. I have the opposite problem... I'm such a penny-pincher when it comes to dolls that I can barely even get myself to buy things for them when I have them! >.< but that will change soon
      I'd only considered buying things for a doll I don't have if it was literally on its way to me, but I can see the appeal of buying shoes or clothes to use as motivation.

2. I bought a few things for my doll, once I ordered her. I’d be afraid if I had started collecting clothes I found cute before that, I might’ve had half a dozen pieces for different sized dolls. Heck, even after I had my first girl I bought something that didn’t fit (the dress had too narrow a waist).

3. I'm 100% guilty of this... I've ordered a doll and in the waiting time I tend to just quench my waiting thirst by buying items for the doll... :pout:

4. Your friends are mean! There's nothing wrong with buying things for a doll that you don't have, it can be a great way to kill the waiting time too. With clothing it gets difficult, of course.

5. I wouldn't want to waste money on something that wouldn't fit, but would have no qualms about pre-buying stuff if I knew I would be getting something it would fit down the road.

6. If it's from online shop I'll save the link for later on purchase, but if it's right before me I would totally buy them! I don't think it would hurt to do so!
      I guess your friend might have experienced, or witnessed someone, have the incident where the items were bought but the doll never came along, then ended up with bunch of stuffs that cannot be put on any doll.
      If you are sure you're definitely buying that doll, I don't think it's bad at all!
      It would be exciting to try them on once the doll actually arrives as well.

7. For me, it depends on the doll. I absolutely will not buy things for dolls that I have no plans to buy. However, I also do have characters to be shelled, and if I've narrowed down the possibilities for a character to a range of companies, the clothes/wig/eyes work for all of those choices, and I know I'm definitely going to get the doll at some point, I may get whatever it is.

I also don't typically buy supplies to make for dolls I don't actually have in my possession yet, but when I do buy outfit making materials ahead of time I go overboard. I literally may have to get a bigger box to hold all the material I've bought for a doll that hasn't arrived yet.

8. I believe that each person can make their own decisions and if you want to buy it, what is wrong with it?

I have often bought things for dolls that I do not have yet and nothing happens. I know that one day I will have that doll and that when I arrive, I will have your things.

9. I'm not sure whether buying things for a doll you don't have is a good idea or not. I'm still debating it myself. One of the items on my wishlist is a 1/4 outfit from Myou Doll which would fit the 1/4 Myou Doll I already have. However, Myou Doll's wait times are so long, I wonder if it would be worth adding my favourite Myou Big Baby doll outfit to my order, even though I haven't decided on getting a Big Baby doll yet. Junkyspot has nude Myou Big Baby dolls in stock, so if I wanted a nude doll later, I'd get it much faster than I'd get the clothes I'd want for it. Myou Doll has a production of at least 3 months.

10. it depends... I have 8 wigs and some 'basic' clothing items not only for dolls I don't have yet but for a size I have never had before. The dolls are now on order but I didn't want them waiting around bald for hair and had they not had full sets they would at least not been nude either. I even got 'limited' items a year and more ago since I knew I would be getting the size of doll that will not be here for months yet lol.

It works best if you know you will be getting a particular doll in the future. Especially if you stick to 'basic' itmes. It took a long time for the right 'sculpt' to come along but it did (or rather THEY did ><). And now the dolls will arrive to a good wardrobe. But you really should have a specific doll size at the very least in mind.

11. Yes. I definietly buy things for doll before he/she come home. It's because I like to have things before I get the doll. It really bothers me, If I haven't got at least a pair of eyes and shoes when my doll arrives.

12. I bought things for my first doll before I knew what she was- just some fabric and thread etc.
      Then after I knew who she was, I got a wig and some more fabric things.

Honestly sounds like everyone else agrees that a bald, unclothed doll is not that great. She needs something to wear that brings out what you love about her, and having to wait for those things too would suck, yeah?

13. I’m having that “problem” at the moment!
      I’ll only be able to order a doll around mid 2020 because I still need to save up some more u_u But I decided to search “corset” for her on Etsy out of curiosity and found the perfect set of corset + bloomers and panties in her colors! So now I’m debating setting back my savings 250 Brazilian reais because it’s so right for her! I think I’ll go for it after New Years, if the set is still available by then. I’ve also already found her boots and wig, and researched eyes too.

I could regret it but I’m always too scared of missing out on opportunities... when it’s about money I’m not sure that’s the best attitude :sweat

14. I before I got my dolls I already was buying some items for them! I think is natural, if you want one or are planning to buy one. It will make you motivated and exited every time you see their stuff! And If at the end you don’t get the doll or something happens, you can sell the items is not a big of a risk.

15. Like some people have mentioned,
      to each their own.
      However, personally, I wouldn't do this.
      Reason being that I would be afraid of buying the clothes and never putting it to use.
      For example, if it doesn't fit the doll I end up buying, for me it would be a waste of money if that happened.
      But hey, if that's what makes you happy and inspired to start collecting and/or collect more dolls,
      I see nothing wrong with it :).

16. only now when i have specific plans for a particular doll. I now have 'enough' experience to reduce the risk of buying a 'miss'fit. I hace a mess of outfits for a YID boy *Iplehouse*... and have had his wardrobe nearly built starting from nearly 4 years ago. He kept getting pushed to the back burner for 'limited' dolls LOL he gets his turn next year lol

17. Yes. It's part of the character's coming process.

18. if you already know you're getting it then whether or not you look at or actually get things for it is entirely up to you. Nobody else has a say in what you do with your money! (when it comes to accessorizing your dolls, anyway). As long as you know what size you're looking for and looking at, then go for it. There is never any harm in window shopping. Whenever I run into this type of criticism I just tell them (in a much nicer way, obviously) to shove off.
      But I have had the frustration of getting items that were either too small or too large for the intended doll. Luckily, I have other size dolls those items could fit so there was no real loss. But there is always the marketplace here, if you have access to it to sell things.

19. I feel like it's a good idea, if you have already picked out the doll you're going to get, to buy things for them even before you have them. I have just 1 doll right now and don't know when I'll be done saving up for the next one, but I already have it planned and found items I want to get for that doll. So if any of the stuff I want for that doll is from a site I'm already ordering from, I'm gonna save myself the shipping and the possibility of the items selling out and just get it ahead of time.

20. I try not to, just because some of the dolls I have still need stuff and I want to concentrate on them first. I also would rather wait until the doll gets here and see if any of the extra clothes/wigs/eyes I have lying around would work on them before I buy more things - I still have some items I brought for dolls I was planning to get a while ago that I never ended up getting...

I do sometimes end up buying stuff early anyway though.