1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. I tend to agree with the people here who say you should wait at least until you actually order a doll. That way you at least have a much closer idea of the size of the items you need. I suppose the exception would be an outfit you love so much, you don't care if a doll ever wears it. You can make/buy doll sized display stands for clothing, so I suppose you could just display a beautiful outfit you like, even without a doll of the needed size.

2. I once buyed a dress from a site to be sure the site was trustable before I buyed my Doll there. That was the only time I buyed something for a Doll I didn't have yet.

3. If you buy things for a doll you don't have and you're a first time pending doll owner, you might end up limiting your doll to the size of the items you have. It might mean the doll you love has a pile of stuff that won't fit him or her, so you decide not to buy that doll based on money spent on outfitting one.

With more experience in the many many sculpt sizes and how things fit, then it's easy to be able to buy in advance. I guesstimated that my latest doll would just about fit the same clothes as one I had and while his pants were a bit lose when he finally arrived, I was able to make him a belt. Sometimes even eyes don't fit the doll company site statements. You really have to be cautious about things like shoes, too. I have a doll who's feet are too wide for shoes the right inside length. I think more are listing inside widths, too now. I was lucky to be dealing with Mint on Card and they protected me from buying the wrong shoes. ^_^

4. Well I have bought an outfit for a doll I haven't got yet. I own one doll but the outfit I just bought is a punk/goth one which just doesn't go with my luts El doll. So I am holding out this outfit for when I get my Migidoll Ryu which I have wanted for a few years, so I feel that by getting him this outfit, I will work really hard to save up for when I get Ryu :D I feel that you should do what you want, if you want to buy an outfit, then go ahead and do it. Your friends shouldn't of been like that.

5. This is also why I'm probably not going to have a good time shopping for my Apollo in the future. Dollmore Kids have it easiest - there's just so much available on Dollmore, it's easy to find something you like, and everything fits because it's made by the doll's company. But BBB... they have a lot of eyes, and some decent wigs, but clothes are hard to come by. Especially since I hear that measurements on the company site aren't always accurate, I wish I could try things on him before I decide to buy anything.

I don't like the trial and error thing, either; I don't want to keep selling everything I buy because it ends up not fitting.

6. I try to avoid buying for dolls I don't have...

But I do it now and then, I must admit! I just bought some clothes on the marketplace that are a size that won't fit any of my current dolls...! yikes... *_*

7. I bought stuff for my doll, while I was waiting and waiting for him to come. He came naked, bald, eyeless, and shoeless, so I tried to have at least the basics here by the time he arrived. It did backfire a little on the eyes I bought, because they were too big, so if you do go buying stuff for a doll you don't have yet, make sure you get all the sizes right!

8. I would buy for a doll I've ordered and am waiting for, but not one I haven't ordered yet. There's a million reasons why...Yes, I might really really want this doll it's going to be the next one I order for sure!! But then another doll sneaks in first...and it doesn't happen. Then that first doll drops off the wishlist completely and I never get it. If I'd spent money on it's clothes already that's a huge waste.

Even worse, if you're trying to save for a doll, and you're buying clothes for it constantly, that's money that could have gotten your doll here faster. Some clothes might not seem all that expensive at first, but a shirt there, pair of pants here, eyes, wigs...suddenly you could have made at least a down payment.

Then, there's your taste. Both in dolls (cause you haven't ordered yet, there's still the chance you will change your mind) and in clothes. With my first doll I ordered him a bunch of clothes. Now I don't have any of them left. I sold off everything, none of it ended up being his style at all. I guess it was good to have them so he had something to wear, but really I could have saved that money and gotten him better clothes later, after I'd had him for a few weeks and really knew what I wanted.

If you've got a couple dolls already who can wear these other clothes/wigs/eyes...who cares. You're building your collection. But buying stuff when you have not even ordered your first doll seems to me like **way overused cliche warning** counting chickens. Use that money to buy the doll first. You may have a huge long wait for it after ordering anyway and that time can be used for acquiring it's stuff, and if you don't have a giant wait, the doll is yours. You have plenty of time to buy it clothes.

There is most definitely no harm at all in looking at clothes and wigs and everything else before ordering a doll however. Heck I've bought new dolls just so I'd have them to wear clothes I wanted XD IMO Just looking is a better way to inspire you to save...because then you aren't spending that money you need to get the doll.

9. I don't do it often, unless it's something I won't easily be able to get later and I already know the size is likely to work. These days I don't worry about it because I have a wide range of sizes and it'll probably work for somebody; plus I can make much more educated guesses on fit now. My first doll, I didn't do it and wouldn't have done it, personally. He came with eyes, wig, t-shirt and boxers, so I could have a couple of days to get used to having a BJD and figure out what he needed. Then I went back and started buying. Mind you, I could just go to a store then so I didn't have to wait for items to ship.

But to be honest, especially when you're buying online, it's always hit and miss with BJD stuff. Even if you get fit right, you might not like it in real life. Or if you like it on a dealer's table, you still might not like it on the actual doll. It's just part of the hobby, IMO. In other words, if you'd bought that shirt and then gotten a different doll entirely, it wouldn't be the end of the world ;).

10. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone who's posted on this threat. It has really helped out out, and made me considered other options. Thank you!

11. man, i was preparing for months before i even ordered my first doll. you aren't alone, i assure you. even now, i'm shopping for clothes and dresses and wigs for two dolls that i just purchased off of a dear friend, and i've only seen them once in person.
      the only concern i've ever had about buying something for a doll i didn't have yet is whether or not it'd fit them.
      i haven't had any bad luck thus far. XD

12. Yes, I do. Partly because I want to save on shipping, so go in on group orders. Partly because I see something in the Marketplace and pick it up. There are a few items I haven't used, but most of them have worked out.

13. I definitely do buy things for dolls that I plan to get. It makes me long for the doll even more once I'v gotten her eyes and hair.
      Just have to compare measurements listed on the company site with what I have at home to be sure the "in advance" items will fit nicely.

14. I had Ciel's wardrobe mostly finished by the time he arrived. Couldn't resist buying pieces that fit his character and there was that clothing sale at Luts....

15. I think it's a really great idea to go ahead and get things for your doll before they arrive. It makes you more prepared for when they come in and they won't be completely naked.. There's nothing wrong with looking for stuff for a doll that you don't own yet. :)

16. I stocked up on a few eyes, wigs, shirts, pants, shoes, before I ordered my doll. That way, you don't have the risk of your doll coming before its hair and clothes do.

I think it also prevented me from having too many changes of heart when buying a doll.

17. I need to have the doll's basic things home before or approximately the same time as the doll itself, maybe I'm just weird like that ;)

So I have (for everyone one of my dolls) bought things for my dolls before they were home. Mostly I had the doll on order already or was just waiting to place that order (this is particularly in the case of my Unoa, where there was a set pre-order period that I knew was coming). Some items I have bought beforehand with a certain doll character in mind. Since my dolls can quite freely use each other's wigs, eyes and even clothes every item has gotten used.

My best before-buy was my Ai's wig. It's the Yrie wig, which was released in a limited period before Ai. I just loved the wig and knew I had to have it. At this point I only had my Sweet home and I knew he wouldn't be wearing it. But after two months Ai was released and I knew she'd be the wig's owner :) And since the split where I got the wig from was on a long layaway, the wig actually got here around the same time as the doll :)

For my current incomer I had planned most of her basic thing already, but I had to be sure I was getting her before placing everything size-specific on order. But then I went on a shopping spree!

18. I have window shopped and also purchased for a doll I didnt have. You have to keep them warm when they arrive!

19. I stopped buying items for dolls I don't have yet after accumulating a zillion things that don't work or fit. I can't tell you how many times I've bought a doll that supposedly wore an 8/9 wig, only to find it wears a 7/8 and the 8/9 wig I bought ahead of time for it is far too big! Or that their feet are 6cm when in fact, they're 7cm. Etc. So now, I wait until I have the doll in hand before buying anything new.

20. I do that for certain dolls and I don't think there is anything wrong with getting stuff for a doll you don't have yet, so long you know what you're doing.

For example, I already have custom outfits ready for my incoming Chrom boy even though if I do not know if it will fit him. And I also have outfits, wigs, eyes, accessories ready for another boy whom I haven't even bought yet, but know who he will be. Likewise, last time there was another character I would like to have in YOSD size, but I do not know the sculpt he would be, but I went ahead to get his outfit, wig and eyes because I know how he would look like.

But there has also been instances where I bought an outfit only to regret it because there has been a change in dolly plan later on, or a better, more suitable outfit has been released. However, the outfit can also be used for other doll, so it's okay.

So, so long you know what you are doing, have plans for a certain doll size/look/style and so on, and have done your research, I don't see why you can't buy stuff in advance. But experience tell me not to buy too far in advance in case of changes in dolly plan lol. And anyway, if all else fails, you could also re-sell it on the MP.