1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. Depends on how set on that doll you are. If it's wishful thinking and not definitely set, I wouldn't do it yet. If he's on layaway or preorder or you have a date set to order, go for it! But be warned, often dolls change style! Amir was supposed to be gothic/Sephiroth based....he's a blond artistic businessman. LOL He won't wear ANY of the outfit I originally got for him. So I would recommend getting some pants and shoes and shirt, something casual, that most anybody would wear. It's good to have something for him so he's not naked, but don't spend a fortune til you bond some and are sure of his character/style.

2. I always have the urge to buy SD female clothes because they always have such cute outfits!! I really want a girl doll! Maybe someday :D

3. @Narukat: I have to agree with the majority and say that was really rude of your friends. It was your money, and you should do with it want you want as long as you understand the consequences.

Back on topic, I love looking for outfits, wigs, etc for my doll even before it arrives. It gives me something to look forward to until my doll arrives.

4. I order a lot of things for my doll before it arrives, assuming that I have already purchased it. If I didn't buy it yet, then I don't buy things for it because there is no guarantee that I won't change my mind.

5. I avoid buying things for dolls that I plan on buying eventually. Heck, I often wait until I have a solid face-up done after the doll has arrived before buying things.

Why? Because my plans for a doll always change; they never turn out like I expect. I may not end up getting a doll I was saving for, and buy another instead. Or, a doll may arrive, and the expected "personality" of the doll is completely different from my plans. So those wigs and eyes and clothes and shoes I bought in advance end up not fitting the eventual character of the doll. It's just easier (and cheaper) to wait until I have a clearer idea of the character of the doll, and can more precisely buy what fits them.

6. I don't usually buy things for a doll I don't have yet, unless it's on order. However, I came across an MSD sized wig for a character that I'd wanted in MSD size, but hadn't found a sculpt for, or any plans to get. As luck would have it, the next month I found the perfect doll! He's on his way to me now. So you never know!

7. I like being prepared for a doll before I get it. It's much nicer to find a wig in advance than have to put them in a spare wig that doesn't go with the doll's personality at all or to have clothing that just looks awesome for the doll right out of the box. I am lucky that I only collect MSDs so even if I get something for a future doll, one of my current crew can usually find use of it before the new doll is gotten.
      I actually purchased a shirt just the other day for a doll I don't have the funds to order until October. Sometimes you have to jump on clothing/other dollie items when it's right because you don't know if you'll ever be able to find it again!

8. I'm going to say that as long as you know exactly what doll you're getting, and the general size of the items, you should be fine. I did this back before I bought Amser and just recently I bought an MSD-sized flute for Xion. Just check your measurements, and gogogogogo!

9. i am currently looking at buying shoes for a doll i dont have, but i have ordered her. does that count? i am trying to get together an outfit for her but i cant see much that i like for the lati. hopefully i'll have access to the marketplace before she comes xx

10. I don't think there's anything wrong with buying for a doll you don't have...though were it me, I'd ideally want to try to save that money toward actually bringing the doll home, then I'd worry about getting the stuff. I know there are times when you find something really unique or special that you likely won't find again, and that might be different, but as far as my own collection goes, I do try my best not to buy anything for a doll I haven't paid for yet.

11. I buy things for my doll while I'm waiting, mainly wigs and eyes. I am practicing making clothes myself, so I like waiting until they get here for that. But no, i don't think there's anything wrong with picking up a couple things ^^

12. *raises hand* Guilty. *just bought wigs for a doll I can't afford until I get my birthday money in November*

13. It depends. I've bought some stuff for dolls I know will be a certain size that are character based, even if they aren't set in stone doll-wise yet.

But at the same time, I do see the benefit of waiting until you're definitely certain you're getting the doll, or even waiting until your doll comes home. My first girl was supposed to be a blonde, starry-eyed girly girl elf. I even bought her a blonde wig and rainbow colored eyes. The rainbow eyes now belong to another doll, the blonde hair is now black and red, and the outfit she wears most is a tunic, leggings, and sneakers.

14. I asked something similar of my collector friends a few weeks ago. I asked if they spent more on their doll's wardrobe than their own. I was really surprised to find out that some do. I try to be more practical when it comes to buying outfits for my dolls, but sometimes I see something really cute or fits one of my girls perfectly and I can't help myself. lol.

15. YES! Yes-yes-yes-yes!!!
      I think, I bought about 3 big bags of stuff, clothes and boots BEFORE the doll^^ Well, I knew exactly what body would my dolls have, their measurument, but still there were some errors at first...
      I even bought some dresses without any purposes - just cause they were pretty *__*

16. Well what I've done is decide on a size and bought her outfits, wigs, alternate eyes etc I know I want an SD sized girl I just don't know what sculpt yet. Possibly an SD kun 2010 renewal from volks. It's just another motivation for saving.

So in conclusion, your friends are wrong. Buying for a doll you don't have can be justified in many ways. After all, you can make your own decisions, right?

17. I bought all my clothes before i got karma. I knew i wanted a 58cm girl doll. So i went clothes shopping!

18. I kind of HAVE to buy things for a doll I don't have! After all, my doll isn't here yet but I don't want her hanging around naked when she gets here ._.

that'd be awkward.

I think that if you know for sure you're getting a doll of a certain size... like, if you've preordered one, that buying things for them before they get here is fine.

and if your mind changes about the size of doll... I don't imagine it'd be too hard to resell unused doll clothes! You might lose out on a few dollars, but I wouldn't see that as too big a problem.

Although the smartest thing in my opinion would be buying clothes for a doll that is for sure on the way.

(but this is all my opinion.)

19. Yes, I do that a lot. Though I try to limit it to things that I might not be able to get later when I actually have the doll I am buying for.
      Like I definitely plan another Dia boy and even if it's gonna be a while until I can afford him, I recently found an ideal wig for him in the MP and purchased it because I saw that this certain style was apparently limited and is not even on the company's website anymore (found in cache of old website though).
      Seeing as I'd already given up on finding a wig that would fit his character design, I couldn't pass on that one when it was so darn perfect, yet there was no guarantee it'd still be there in half a year or so. And it practically goes like this with all items I purchase beforehand.

20. I have been buying stuff for the twins I am planning. Not ordering them yet and one of them even changed from being a boy to a girl. What I got so far is eyes and dresses for the first girl, the planned one. The other can still have the boots I planned for the boy but I am lucky I didn't buy any cloth for him yet. :3

But I do get carried away. And I love shopping for cloth for my dolls ^^