1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. I do this all the time, especially with wigs! I have a good idea of the dolls I want to add to my collection, and I have a good idea of what colour clothes I will want to dress them in and what wigs I'll want for them, so if I see things I'll generally buy them and store them away. Sometimes I will go off a doll that I was planning on getting in favour of another though, and then I do feel a bit guilty that I've already bought outfits and wigs.

2. I only buy stoff for a doll I don't have when that doll is on it's way to me.
      Like, when I order a doll, I don't like it to be naked the first few weeks or so.
      So I'll make sure to have clothes and a wig when it arrives.
      But I'm not going to buy Yo-SD or MSD clothes, since I don't have one XD

3. Before buying my doll, I was buying a pair of pants, two shirts and wig, the size, I had decided it would be SD (the doll still had no idea what would be). This service of encouragement to me.:celebrate

Note-when I bought my first car, I've had for a long time the stereo for him (incentive).

At home: Erick (Don-Ring Doll) Lee Hwang (Luke # 1 DOD)
      Waiting: Eris head (Ordoll & Nyxdoll)
      www.flickr.com/photos/lukca/

4. Some of the shoes and clothes that my dolls have are nicer than my own. It doesn't help that on average doll accessories are almost the same price as human ones.

But would I buy a car, motorcycle or lots of furniture for my dolls? Nah...

5. I'm going to get my first BJD in another few more months but I already started to list out stuffs to buy for him. Heck, I might buy stuffs for him before I even buy/own him. XD So, I'm glad buying stuffs for a doll that you don't have yet is pretty common. *phew*

6. Just curious who bought accesories like wigs, eyes, hands, clothes, shoes before buying the actual doll? I know how tempting it is to buy it all at once but who realisticly has that much money to put aside? Or is it cheaper to just save and buy everything at once? I have a few dolls in mind and am eager to start purchasing the other items first but wonder if Ill take a bigger hit because of shipping... I would just hate receiving a doll with no hair or shoes lol!!

7. Well I got a wig in May from someone who didn't want one anymore and I still don't have a BJD, I really want one thou so Im hanging onto it xD

8. I didn't get any clothes or wigs before I purchased my first doll. However, I did end up buying and making a few little props like some tiny wineglasses at a thrift store and made some polymer clay cookies and sandwiches.

This was because, until I actually made the purchase, I was unsure exactly which doll body I'd end up with. I was certain that it was going to be 1/3 scale, and in the Dollfie Dream line, but because of my, er, opportunistic approach, I had no clue if I was going to end up with a DDII or the curvier DDDy. It was a good thing I held off on the clothes too--I had thought the DDII was more likely for ages, but ended up with the DDDy! There's no way most DDII clothes fit the DDDy. However, both bodies are the same height, so I was totally confident with props.

9. Are you kidding? I bought parts/accessories over a year ago for a doll I still haven't even ordered yet! O.O Several, in fact, for multiple dolls. It's a way for me to commit myself to completing a floating head, or getting my dream doll, so I don't talk myself out of it due to price or wait. Which I'm prone to do. A lot.

Of course, once I do commit myself, I don't care how long I have to wait, I will get the doll/body no matter what!

10. Absolutely. When he arrived, not only was there an assortment of eyes, and some shoes waiting, but I'd made an entire outfit working from pictures I'd extrapolated and scaled from the internet (he's not really a standard size).
      After the weeks of anticipation waiting for the actual doll, having to then wait some more for eyes or clothes would be excruciating. And buying little things (I wouldn't have blown a stack of cash on an expensive outfit that mightn't fit, though) in preparation can both sweeten and ameliorate the pain of waiting.

I'd suggest making a simple set of clothes, or buying very cheap basic eyes etc. on eBay. It sounds from your post that you are thinking of ordering everything from the same company, though. In that case, I'd save and get it all at once, with the doll. I'd find having a new, bald, eyeless, nude doll too frustrating.

11. If its for a doll you have ordered and its on its way I dont see a problem, well i only see a minor problem especially if its your first and your newer to the hobby coz you can mistakingly buy something either too big or too small.

the only other issue I see is buying something that once getting the doll, it really doesnt fit their style. This of course varies because if you know what your looking for for the character of the doll it wont be a bother.

I kinda compare it to having a baby tho, I dont really care for buying things for a doll i dont have yet especially if she is gonna be another size than what i have. But its hard not to prepare. I am at an impasse myself right now, i will have money in a couple days from a sale i made and want to buy some things from a company but at the same time I know my doll will be here before then, and I definitely dont want to delay a box opening but I do have clothes made. I think making clothes is best for incoming dolls if you can make.

But its a common misconception for people who are eager about upcoming things to buy stuff for it, and those around us know us best for getting excited about it.

If you havent ordered the doll then its probably best to avoid buying clothes because life happens and buying clothes before buying the doll can shorten funds unless you plan accordingly.

12. I personally would make sure the clothes will fit with the dolls body measurements, and then I would buy them. After all, I assume your doll is going to want to put clothes on when he/she arrives. :sweat

13. I ordered my first doll yesterday (hooray!) and then realized that my mom, who doesn't like the idea of me getting a doll anyway, will be like EW THAT'S WEIRD when I unbox a completely nude, bald guy doll >.>'
      Sooo I am going to order his wig and glasses, at least.
      I cleaned out my closet yesterday and pulled out a lot of my old clothes that I can chop up and sew into doll clothes, so I think I will make him some simple, easily altered things to put on once he comes out of the box.

Mother's reaction aside, I think it'd be rather lame to pull the doll out of the box and be like, "Yay.... now what?" Can't even dress him up! I think I'd keep him inside the box if it didn't have clothes, and that would just be sad after waiting so long for him to get here!

14. I don't even have my first doll yet but I've already figured out her style, and I have a folder full of pictures and links for clothes I wanna get her. It's only my current total broke-ness that's stopping me from splurging.

15. Was at an anime con last month that had a BJD stand and as well as buying stuff for the boy I actually had with me, I bought shoes for a doll I haven''t even started saving for yet. I find it's nice kind of preparing for future members of your dolly family but my friend just thought I was being a little obsessive. Opinions?

16. I will only start buying for a doll if I have bought the doll.

It's more pragmatism than anything, because what happens if you never even get that doll in the end? A long time could pass between now and the doll purchase, and your likes and dislikes may have changed by the time you get around to clicking 'buy' - if you even do.

But once that doll is bought and is in production, obviously it sang enough that it was something that you really want. So that's when I start amassing stuff for the doll in question.

17. I've never done this yet, but I was thinking about buying some black or dark colored clothing for a Dollfie Dream I've entered a split for. The bad part is that she won't be released until April.

18. I've been buying stuff for a doll I don't yet own. My boyfriend wants to get him for me for Christmas, and he'll be my first boy. My boyfriend doesn't want him naked around the girls though, so I bought him clothes, and I don't want him wigless and eyeless, so I bought those too. I don't really see a problem with it, though I do feel like it's a bit of a preemptive strike. I can understand why some people don't like the thought of it - I used to think the same. But I know he'll be coming home in a few months, so I want to be prepared.

19. Yes, I have!!:) This punk outfit and it was either the last one are going to be soon!!O__O So, I just had to get it! I got a wig, wig cap, underwear, and a punk pair of shoes! I can understand about waiting but that outfit with perfect matching shoes, and wig screamed must get this for the next doll I plan to get. I don't worry much about getting these items because punk is one of my favorite set styles with an addition to many others. ^__^

20. ^This. Like you said, what do you do if you never end up with that doll? I'm not a fan of having to sell things. I would be more likely to buy for a doll I had coming at some point than a doll I hadn't ordered yet. I'd even be more apt to buy something for a doll close to the size of a doll I already owned (if I did own a doll).

If I owned an MSD, and was buying for an SD, I'd be more apt to buy something like a necklace or a bracelet. Dollmore sent me a necklace that I felt was too long for my MSD (even though they said it was for both sizes). It's not something unwearable, but I don't like putting it on my doll because I don't like the length. I think, when it comes to some kinds of jewelry, it's easier to do this because if worse becomes worst, chokers can become bangle bracelets, and vice-versa. But if the size of the doll was drastically different, I wouldn't do it.

If I had a doll, and was buying for a doll that same size, I'd probably buy something for all styles. If my doll is a goth/punk, but the doll I was buying for wasn't, I wouldn't buy something in complete style of this other doll. I'd be more comfortable buying something I could see either doll wearing, because if I never get this other doll, at least what I bought doesn't go to waste.