1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Buying Things For A Doll You Don't Have.

Jun 24, 2011

1. Well, I did buy a dress and wig for my first doll when I was still waiting to order the doll, but I'm not sure it counts, as I was just waiting for the paypal to accept credit card before I ordered the doll... (on the other side - I didn't get that doll for a year after buying her dress, but that was not my fault - problems with the seller... so the dress was waiting for a year, the wig as well, and I just learned during that year, with my smaller dolls, that I wanted different wig :XD:)

And just now I put two of my large girls on sale, but I plan to buy new girl - so I kinda have dresses for her (but at home, in Poland - and now I'm in Japan), but I bought a new dress and two pairs of shoes anyway... But I do know I will order that doll very soon, I just have to get my money here (a bit tricky when can't use paypal), go to a sumika and place order finally. So not sure if this counts either ;)

As for the rest, I usually got the doll with some outfit, fullset or just anything for her not to sit naked, then, after the doll arrives, I think of new clothes for the doll. The only exception was my Limhwa girl, but I thought she could share dresses with my Dollzone girl - big mistake, the dresses were to small, so she borrowed asian style clothes (a bit stylized to look kimono like) of one of my boys :XD:

2. I have a dress for a doll I've yet to order, and I bought a wig for my first bjd several months before she arrived. I think its perfectly reasonable to do this, as long as you're sure you want the doll.

3. I do it all the time. I have bought a coat, shoes and a wig for a doll that I don't have yet. It's a feeling I just know it will be rite for the doll. Hope you did buy the shirt it's more about what you think your friends will get it later when you show them the doll in the outfit, next time they will be more understanding.

4. It is fun mentally planning what your doll is gonna look like and it's more fun seeing clothes and shoes in real life than online. First ever bfd item i bought was a pair of boots for a 1/3 and when I actually got the doll they didn't fit him lol....^_^

5. My boy isn't here yet and I've bought him a wig and necklace and I'm looking for shoes.

6. Yes! I actually ordered three articles of clothes for my girl before I got to order her (bought all the clothes off etsy)--I had to wait for a money transfer into paypal, so I was able to use what I already had on my card for the clothes, and...well, since I was GETTING the doll, I myself saw no problems with it. I mean, unless you buy a fullset, your little dolly comes home naked anyway--I figure it's best to have an outfit on the shelf ready for them when they arrive.

Anyway. I know what you mean with the enthusiasm just seeing the clothes. Lenka's shirt was the first thing in (along with a pair of shoes). Though I had a mental "she is 44 cm which is blank-inches," seeing her SHIRT, in my hands, was really eye-opening to me. I know I texted my friend right away, saying, "Ohmygod! Her shirt's as big as my iPod!"

Aaaand...it definitely helps serve as a reminder to keep saving/going for your doll. ;]

7. I totally understand you , i do that all the time! (looking doll staff for dolls that i do not own)

8. I'm buying fabric at the moment ready to sew some dresses when i order my girl and to make some bedding. i plan on starting her room ahead of her arrival. i cant see the harm of a few items if your 100% certain.

9. I didn't have anything, really, on-hand when I got my first doll, but these days, as much as possible, I like to have at least a little something on-hand before the doll arrives, to help me get the right look for him or her right away. I've got a pair of wigs waiting for two incoming boys right now, and bought some extra clothes when I had some coming in in a size where I don't have much on-hand. Nothing wrong with it at all!

10. I ordered a couple wigs before I ordered my dolls.
      Now I have a 4+ month wait to get the dolls and I'm using that time to buy clothing, wigs and shoes that they'll need.

I see no harm in buying things for your dolls before you've purchased the dolls themselves. After all, you might find something you like that may not be around when you do get the doll, plus you'll need to buy the doll these things eventually, so spreading out the expense makes more sense.

11. I bought a wig for a doll I may not order for quite a while, but I know I will get her because their are so few 19 cm children available, and she's perfect for a character I have planned. I ordered it with a wig for a doll I do have so as not to pay shipping twice.

12. I bought my first doll's eyes before I got him, but moving forward, I don't really want to. I can be very indecisive and money also can be an issue for me. Plus, without the doll, there's no guarantee that the item will fit.

I have considered buying another pair of eyes for an incoming doll, but I want to see what he comes with first. I might really like the eyes.

13. I have a doll and one on the way. I never bought anything for my first doll before I had him, but the second one that's coming is a different story. I mean, yeah - I know he's on the way, but I am going to have a small stockpile for him when he gets here.

The bottom line is, if you see something you like, buy it. Even if you didn't have a doll, it sure seemed like the little shirt made you happy. See what I mean?

14. I don't know of this counts but I do buy clothes for my boys which are still being produced :3

15. I had a wig I wasn't using intending to save it one day for a Resinsoul Yo-SD it was a Liv wig and I had that thing for four years even contemplated selling it once but I'm glad I didn't cause at Christmas I got the Resinsoul Yo-SD I wanted and she's worth it and her Liv wig was perfect for her character.

Another wig I got was actually one for my other girl MSD for awhile but then I got a new wig that didn't fit my boy MSD so I popped it on her...ANd never looked back. Now my new girl Noah uses it and it's perfect for her.

16. I would say it depends. If you have decided which doll you want and know that you will stick with that and you've got the money, why not? If you're still not sure which size your doll will have nad such, wait until your doll is ordered. When you have ordered your doll or he/she is on layaway, well, go and purchase at least a shirt and trousers or a dress. When you're pregnant with a child you start getting clothes, too, don't you? You don't want your baby to be naked after birth for too long. Okay, your doll will not get health problems while waiting for getting clothes. ;)I'm now waiting for my LTF Ante and I know I'm gonna make her some clothes while waiting. I didn't do that for Toivo so he had so sit with bare legs for a week or so, poor guy... I couldn't show him off in another forum, poor me. ;)

17. Oh yes, No longer have Minifees but ordered another...bought her clothes, eyes, a wig, and shoes. Waiting on her!

18. Hello !

When i started in thos hobby i did the same thing...i bought the things for the doll months before it arrived. I bought everything from undies to props before i even held my first bjd in my hands.

So its not silly to start looking at things for your doll. That way you can start building a character or the idea of the character you want to create once you aquire the doll ( like what hair will it have or what cloths will it wear )

The only thing you got to remember is that if you fall in love with a shirt, pants, acessorie that is for a doll size in particular, you should have in mind a doll in that scale that you want to aquiere so you dont waist your money or have to sell the item later on cause you never actually got a doll to use it in

Hope it works :D

19. I ALWAYS get the dolls things first, there's not point in having a naked bald doll with generic eyes! :lol;

20. So far I've bought things like eyes and wigs ahead of time for a doll that I knew I was purchasing so he'd have something on. :) Tempted to do the same for clothing. I have a doll that I bought used and who came with clothes that don't suit the character, and I'm looking around for something that seems right. Next time I'll try to buy some clothes ahead of time, too. :D