1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Can't decide what doll i want! Help!

Dec 2, 2022

1. Basically, for the past few months, I have been looking for a body that is suitable to hybrid with my current floating head. The problem is that I can't seem to choose what body I want and stick to the decision. 2 months ago I was like yeah, I want the mystic kids body, but now I don't think it is "fitting" anymore. So I researched some more... And I just seem to jump between bodies that i want. I'm the opposite of an impulsive buyer, I'll stew on buying a doll for so long that I no longer want it...
      Now I have a whole list of doll's bodies that I find aesthetically attractive and I have no idea how to choose between them. My question is, how do you guys decide anything? And can you help me decide? Thanks!

Little peek at my list of doll bodies (all 1/4 girl bodies):
      Tied in first: Charm doll Ver.3 (CDB-G42-03) and Fairy Castle 1/4 girl body
      eeeh maybe: Dreaming doll body A, Mystic Kids , Myou doll v2, Gemofdoll, island doll body v2?
      no: Myou doll v1, doll leaves v2, xaga doll, alseep eidelon, Dika doll, and most other bodies on acbjd

2. If it helps to decide, you may want to do some research on how the bodies move and pose.
      Look for box opening videos, or reviews on mobility and poses certain bodies can do. That way you can compare not just the aesthetic, but also potential for how they look when posing for what you have in mind.
      Depending on what you are looking for, and the doll artist, some bodies have more limited movement than others, and some joints look different in certain poses that photos won't always reveal.

Also might want to consider waiting time as well, and go with the shortest time.

3. I absolutely understand that same feelings of being overwhelmed by just having too many options.

I would say there are a few things to take into account. First thing that comes to mind is: What kinds of dolls do you want in your collection? Do you want dolls that fit in the same scale? Do you want a variety of different sizes? Do you want dolls that fit a certain aesthetic- be it realistic or highly stylized, creepy or super cute, etc? And of course it’s also okay to not know what you want out of your doll collection. It’s hard to know what dolls are like until you see them in person!

You can also help yourself by identifying certain traits you might not like in certain dolls. For me, most things smaller than your traditional 1/4 “MSD” scale isn’t for me. Not even slim minis. I can easily vet out sculpts if I know they don’t work in a certain size or scale.

One thing that is way more important to me now than it was when I was new to BJDs is poseability. One of my “must-haves” for bodies is mobility joints in the thighs. If I’m looking for a very specific body type, I might be able to overlook that. But if I see a body with single jointed arms… Nope. Not even going to consider it.

There’s also resin match and scale. Scale I think is less of a big deal when it comes to 1/4, so probably not a problem there. But would it bother you if there was gapping between the neck and head? Would it bother you if there was a difference between the color of the head and the body? If so, how much difference could you tolerate?

And I guess the most important yet elusive tie breaker: sheer vibes. Look at that head. Who do you see them as? What body would fit that kind of aesthetic/character? Would it help to look at others’ pictures of their dolls to see if you could image your head posing with a body in certain ways?

For the companies you mentioned, you really can’t go wrong with either of them. Though they do have fairly different degrees of “maturity” or developed bodies- Charm Doll being slimmer and slightly more grown, maybe a young teen. And Fairy Castle being relatively less lithe and maybe younger looking, like middle school age. I will say when it comes to joint aesthetics & mobility, I would have a preference for Charm Doll. But a Charm Doll BJD would be too slim compared to my collection of chubby, kid like MSDs. But I honestly don’t have many dolls that even come close to meeting all my “criteria” and I still love them all the same. I just have certain priorities over others.

Sometimes it’s just hard to pull the trigger if it feels like there’s no right answer. But if getting a body for this head is a serious goal if yours, I might even get a friend to help you pick a date, sit down, and just ~buy it~. Anyway, I hope some of this helps, if even just a little bit!

4. I recently chose a body for my floating head too and i had the same issue. I looked for resin matches, for neck circumference and owner pics with a similar hybrid (feeple60 head and other bodies).
      I ended up going for a myoudoll body because i liked the aesthetic and use images indicated that the resin would match well. It is not an exact match, but it is quite okay, so I'm content. :)

I was almost going for a different body but the neck circumference prpbably was not going to fit, which is why i went for myoudoll.

5. Gotta say that both of my Mystic Kids bodies are solid solid solid and are lovely posers as well, so if the resin match is good, I don't think you'll be disappointed.

Oh! Derp! I didn't ask what floating head you have! Care to share?

#5 Geekmama, Dec 3, 2022
      Last edited: Dec 3, 2022
    6. Thanks for all of the advice! unfortunately I have already watched literally every box opening in existence and i still haven't decided
      @Geekmama My head is an absurd doll Xunma, the resin is supposed to be close to mdd semi-white but i don't know how accurate that is.
      @Mainframe110 I feel like the charm doll body is more of the aesthetic i want but 1. their wait time is 4 months compared to fairycastles of 2 months 2. I like fairy castles knee and arm joints more 3. fairy castles body comes with heel feet and extra hands. aaaaaagh. maybe ill just flip a coin or something

#6 Violet555, Dec 4, 2022
      Last edited: Dec 4, 2022
    7. When I think of wait times, I think if it like getting a tattoo or piercing: it hurts to get it, but you’re putting up with the pain for the end result.

But it sounds like you’d be happy with either of them! Honestly, if you feel like flipping a coin would help you get through this indecisiveness then I’d say do it if you feel like it wouldn’t stress you out to commit to the result! Dolls are meant to be enjoyed, not stressed over!:thumbup

I can’t tell someone *not* to be indecisive or second-guess themselves, but I will say that for me, when I’ve been debating over sculpts, I instantly forget about all my microscopic pros and cons when I see them next to totally different dolls. :lol:

8. I have hard time deciding on pretty much everything, and what may help you as it sometimes helps me: this is not a "life and death" decision. You don't have to buy the ideal doll body. You may change it later if you don't like it, or you may come to love it with all its imperfections.

Of course, sometimes not being able to decide means just that no option really clicks. I was looking for a body for my Minifee head, and I almost bought a Myou body, literally added it to cart and was going to press "pay", but suddenly realized that in this case the new girl would be the same height as my Doll Chateau one, or even higher, while I wanted her to be significantly smaller (but hadn't clearly known it before). So I removed that Myou body from the cart and started my search again, this time comparing the heights, but everything was just "not it". And then I saw a Leekeworld Art body at the second-hand market, and I immediately knew I must get it. Yellowed, singe-jointed, yet perfect for my girl. I really really love her on this body, love her posing and aesthetic, and her cute yellowed hands.

Phew, sorry for a long story. Overall, at this point I'd suggest to base your decision on emotions, not on ratio, since you already did your research. Good luck with getting your doll completed!