1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Centimeters vs. Inches?

Jun 14, 2010

1. Being new to Bjd doll collecting I find myself struggling with actual doll sizes........are there three or five standard centimeter heights and how do I determine them in inches........can some of these sizes share clothes and shoes?........how about wigs?........I wish there was a chart I could refer to so I would be sure of my purchaces

2. Heights are only really standard within doll companies, not across them. Use online converters to figure out inches from centimetres, here's one: http://manuelsweb.com/in_cm.htm

There are some charts with doll measurements on DoA, but generally speaking you'll need to be more specific. There are many threads on DoA about what fits what doll. Good threads to check out are company and doll-specific threads, where you can ask specific questions or they may already have been answered. Many doll companies will have the measurements of their dolls somewhere as well.

3. The "standard" sizes are pretty similar to the three size specific subforums, but even within a height-based size group there is a lot of variation in body and head sizes so it really does depend on the specific dolls and clothing/wigs/shoes. I find that the discussion threads for specific doll lines (i.e. Soom Super Gem, Lati Yellow, Fairyland Minifee, etc) are the best and easiest place to find out what clothing fits them best and whether or not they can fit a certain brand, because that's where many owners of that line of dolls hang out and they can share their experiences. You can also compare the measurements of different dolls from their respective company webshops if you want to see how similar their body or foot size is.

Some dolls are easier to find clothing/shoes for and some are more difficult, but in most cases there will be at least something out there that you can buy for your doll. It really does depend on the doll in question, so asking others who own that doll and have experience with dressing them is very helpful! :)

4. Easiest way to get a fast conversion is simply to put "x inches in cm" (or reverse) into Google and the top return on enter will be Google's conversion.

Being from Canada and over a certain age, I am fluent in both cm and inches, and it really doesn't help that much with being any more certain about doll sizes. Every type and company has its own proportions and the only way to have any degree of certainty is to research measurements - dolls can be the same height but have wildly different proportions. I keep my dolls' 'vital stats' stickied on my computer desktop for this very reason...and still have many 'misses' when it comes to ordering.

5. To help visualize sizes, I use a sewing measuring tape. It is marked in both centimeters and inches side by side. I can hold it up to 43cm or 57 cm etc. and see just how many inches that is and how tall it would look. It is especially helpful when I hold it next to an existing doll to visualize how much taller or shorter the new one would be.

6. Honestly, I have a hard time visualizing sizes period. I know that a 70cm doll is BIG in BJD terms, but until I've seen one and stood next to it, I can't wrap my head around how big it is in proportion. And it just doesn't matter what measurement system you use, be it inches, feet, centimeters, millimeters, or meters... I just cannot visualize it without seeing it myself first.

Rulers and conversion tables are a good place to start, if you're mostly looking for how tall it's going to be compared to you, but honestly, until you've held one in your hands, you won't have a good idea of just what kind of clothes are going to fit it.

7. I keep a sticky (size) chart on my computer desk of the ones I have so I can reference size, wigs etc. I also have a sewing tape I keep handy so I can measure what I need to. If I'm really in doubt,using the comparison charts on DoA are really helpful.

8. In this hobby, it really does help to know both!
      Most doll sizes will be listed in centimeters (or milimeters in the case of eyes), but wig sizes seem to typically be listed in inches.
      Being born in Canada, we learned both Imperial and Metric in school (one of the local public education system's smarter ideas). Inches only give me problems when I'm trying to add up fractions of inches. *_* So I usually convert using a handy online conversion page. I use this one: http://www.onlineconversion.com/length_common.htm and keep it bookmarked for easy and quick reference. It also has other sections for other types of measurements; handy!

If you're not familiar with the metric system, a way to help you remember cm vs inches is 2.54cm to an inch. (10mm per 1cm, 100cm per m)

I tend to keep either a sewing measuring tape or a carpentry one near my computer so that I can check sizes. "Hmm, this doll table is 9 inches high, is that a good size?"
      I also keep several word documents on my computer that list my doll's measurements next to several other dolls of similar sizes, so I can check to see if clothes or shoes (that only say 'fit for DOI' for example) will fit.

There are tons of other doll measurements listed in the 'sticky' sections at the tops of many doll forum sections (why does hardly anybody ever check theses? Tons of great info there!)

9. I keep a 3 feet dual graduation ruler by my computer at all times, helps visualize sizes.

10. Ikea gives out handfuls of handy dandy dual measurment tapes. I have one marked for each doll and take it with me when I shop in case I see something that might be doll sized.

11. i am looking at two dolls and trying to see whats the height difference would be. 65cm boy & 1/3size 56cm. Like why do they say 1/3 or 1/4? can anyone show a pics of the diff?

12. They say 1/3 or 1/4 because that's the scale. The doll is supposedly 1/3 or 1/4 the size of an actual human. The problem is, some of the measurements differ a bit because they're using a different height to compare it to.

13. 65cm is 1/3 size also. He is the 1/3 of an adult human - a tallish adult human. While 56cm is also the 1/3 of an adult human - but a shorter/female human :lol: (1/4 means that the doll's height is the 1/4 of an adult human. Alternetively childlike 1/4 dolls could be described as the 1/3 of a human child. But that would be too confusing, so we just stick to 1/4 XD)

If you are interested in height difference between dolls, you can easily search in the Picture Requests subforum for general ideas (or even maybe for the specific pairing you're looking for). There are tons of comparisons between 56-58cm and 62-65cm ;)

But also keep in mind! Searching for specific dolls is better, because there are skinny and more buff dolls in every size category - that will also influence how they look next to each other^^

Here are some threads that might help with the visualization:

65cm girls vs. 58cm girls: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...cm-girl-and-58cm-girl-together&highlight=65cm
      60cm vs. 65cm: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/showthread.php?304477-60cm-vs-65cm&highlight=65cm
      56-58cm vs. 65cm: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...r-Gem-next-to-Souldoll-Elfdoll&highlight=65cm (post No. 15 has an 55cm tall girl next to a 65cm tall boy on the buff side)
      63cm vs. 55cm: http://www.denofangels.com/forums/s...63cm-boy-look-with-a-55cm-girl&highlight=65cm

Searching for pictures really helps XD

14. ah thanks so much rimbaum & smaug! you guys are a great help! :)

yeah that puts it into perspective for the dolls i'm thinking of.

15. I also think, if I'm not wrong, that some companies overseas use cm while companies in the US use inches. It depends on which system you use. Some companies measure weight in KG like asian companies while some measure in pounds.

16. So in the States do you just use inches as a measuring device?

When it comes to small items such as dolls, it would be handy to get yourself a sewing tape measure as centimetres and millimetres are really useful when making doll clothes. As someone who is old enough (just) to remember the metric conversion in the UK, I have to say that once you get used to using the metric system it makes measuring out doll clothing patterns so much easier. I'm a product designer and think I would find it a nightmare trying to design small intricate pieces in fractions of inches!

17. It's also worth mentioning that while BJD companies usually use centimeters to describe height and other size specifications, for a reason unknown to me, head circumference/wig size is almost always given in inches. So when you see the measurement table and it says "7-8" - that's not 7-8cm, but 7-8 inches...even when everything else is given in cm...

I find it strange and interesting. Does anyone know the reason behind it?

18. Yes, we use inches... and then 8ths of inches, at least all the costumers I know do (myself included) when it comes to theatre. You really don't need cm if you know how to use 8ths of an inch right.
      I use both systems of measurement without difficulty. I have a good idea of what something's size is if it's in inches or centimeters.

19. Mirrin I'm going to respectfully disagree with you. When it comes to sewing for dolls I use millimeters which are slightly smaller than a 25th of an inch, an 8th just isn't accurate enough in this scale in my opinion. However a 25th of an inch for a 1/3 doll would equal about an 8th of an inch for humans.

20. I prefer to stick with the metric system. The older systems with inches and such are based on natural measures which can vary a lot, like the length of an arm.
      And besides, the metric system is used in science worldwide these days, and industry.
      "8ths of inches". I'm sorry, but I think it's quite unpractical to calculate with. 8th of a cm is 8 mm. That's very clear and easy to work with.
      But I admit I'm not used to working with these "exotic" old systems, being from the European mainland.