1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing tastes in dolls?

Oct 24, 2017

1. My tastes have stayed pretty similar since joining this hobby, but a few things did change. I really liked the Migidoll/Switch/Ringdoll dolls that had an emo/punk look and had a couple floating heads that never became dolls, and I realized that I liked the slightly larger, more mature boys better. I only have one doll left from this phase, and that is my Migidoll Miho. I did try to sell him at one point but eventually took him down because I was having too hard of a time trying to part with him. He was my favorite teenage boy sculpt and he's just too adorable. I also tried a tiny anthro with plans for more quickly found out that was not for me.

2. My tastes have drastically changed recently. I feel like I’ve gotten enough anthro and human dolls of any size. I’m now collecting the tiny full animal bjds. Most of them are OT due to lack of joints, but the best points are lower cost, no need for clothing, shoes, or wigs, and take up less space. Littlest Pet Shop, bjd style!

3. Like SIllypeach, my own tastes haven't actually changed that much. In spite of having been involved in the hobby for almost twelve years now, I still like what I liked in the beginning. My crew started out exclusively with more stylized 1/3-scale sculpts... Think old CP Delfs and classic Volks... And those dolls still make up the vast majority of my collection.

I have branched out some, and added a few less stylized faces over the years (A quartet of Iple House EIDs. an SID girl and a Granado V-07 guy), but I'm still not a huge fan of realism. I've also added dolls in smaller sizes (Everything from a 6cm Dream High micro to assorted YoSD and MSD-sized sculpts) and a zoo's worth of bizarre little non-human Creatures to the gang...

But over-all? My favorites are still those 1/3-scale anime-esque guys and gals. At this point, I doubt that's ever going to change, no matter which way trends in the hobby-at-large go. :lol:

4. At first, i only in love with boys. However, after i got my first 1/4 girls. I can't stopped myself. I want more girls in my collection. A 1/4 girl from AF and a 1/6 girl from dika. Also, i said that i don't like volks' girl and i regret it. Volks girls are so cute and i got MSDF18 and yui as twins. and later i got two DWC01 girl, Michael and carol. And now i think i should stop expanding my collection. I think i won't get another boy in the future.
      Girls are treasures of the world...
      P.S. i think the rosenlied holiday are cute but when i owned them for a year i just not that into them. I think i will sell them in the future.

5. I'm still new to this hobby but when planning to buy my first doll I was always looking at MSDs with big eyes and anime looking faces, but after I had what character id like to make in my head I wound up buying a SD with a realistic head sculpt.

I still would like to get one eventually but my preference shifted suddenly from small and cute to big and realistic.

6. Haha, this same thing happened to me with so many things! Just a few weeks ago I was pretty strongly opposed to all child-like dolls, boy dolls, and doll chateau dolls. Now I've flipped to liking all those and having several of each on my wish list :XD: I think my thing was that initially I instinctively disliked them, but once I allowed myself to get used to it, they grew on me :) I like when my tastes change like this because it opens of new possibilities and widens my view.

7. At first, I only wanted dolls that are around SD17 size cos there are so many clothes for them. Then after browsing dolly pics on Instagram every day, I started liking the >70cm dolls, mainly Idealians and EID. At this time I didn't want any kids until DoA held a photo contest, I saw Withdoll's Jax at the prizes and fell in love with his cute smirk instantly. After that, I got Jax, a bro for him and another 1/6 doll when I told myself I'll only collect the big boys :doh So rather than a change, I think my tastes expanded and ended up with a more diverse collection than I had expected. And I'm actually glad I got the little ones since I can bring them out for photos so easily.

8. I know I've become less picky/more willing to see the good in sculpts that months ago I would have turned my nose up at for being "too basic". Though I think this is more just me becoming a better faceup artist and being able to see the potential in less distinctive faces now.

9. I'm another one of those people whose tastes have not changed at all. In the nearly five years I've been collecting bjds I've kept every doll I've bought (with the exception of the head of my second doll, which i liked in the sales pics but turned out not to fit my aesthetic in person) and the wishlist I made years ago has remained virtually unchanged as I slowly make my way thru obtaining the dolls on it. A few new faces have been added over time as new sculpts have been released, but by and large the dolls i have and want are the same exact dolls I was first attracted to when I discovered bjds.

10. Me, personally? You could say yes and no.

You see, like my little tagline says (variety is the spice of life), I've got pretty varied tastes. I've always liked variety, and as such, gravitate towards a variety of dolls. I've got my more realistic OCs that got me gearing back into the hobby when my more stylized MSD didn't keep me engaged, and I've been also drawn to a cat anthro after seeing a to-die-for one at a local meet (and being a huge cat-lover since I was little).

Then there's my recent acquisition--a Fairyland MNF Mika/Mir who's going to be a character from a different story-line than the rest of a story I came up with and back-burnered some years back.

And, of course--I've got my fan-based creations, both in PVC and resin, based on favorite characters from my favorite media:kitty2.

I always shift from day to day who's going to get the majority of my focus in a day, who I'll be working on for a time and the like. So yes: my tastes are constantly changing, but they go in cycles:XD:

11. I don't actually think I've changed very much since joining in 2005. I still mainly actively hunt for the sculpts that were in production when I first joined the hobby, but I honestly like it all! I've always enjoyed variety, whether it's from super stylized to super realistic. SD-sized girls were what I was initially most drawn to, and they're still what I largely prefer.

12. When I was first deciding which doll I wanted I wanted human-like, big eyes and pouty lips- like a teen

Then I went on some massive rampant, I got my first centaur and then it’s just elves and devils etc but now I’m leaning more towards the semi realistic ones?

I think I’m still doll confused

13. When I first got to know about this hobby, I was drawn to the cute and childlike doll with big innocent eyes from Luts or Soom. But after a few years my taste has changed toward the weird, non-human like sculpts

14. My tastes have definitely changed. I think the variety of doll companies now affects it. Being able to see more dolls makes me realize things I wanted that weren't available before.

I said I was "done" with my collection earlier this year and that was wrong. there are too many cool sculpts.

15. I've been collecting BJDs for five years now, and my tastes have shifted from liking pretty cute dolls to preferring dolls with more of an attitude. I now find many sweet looking dolls uninteresting, and am more attracted to dolls that look sarcastic or sexy. I still like some sweet looking dolls, but there has to be something special or unique about them.

16. I joined the hobby 4 years ago, I can't really say that my taste has changed but I became more selective.
      Now I wouldn't buy some of the dolls I bought years ago.

17. When I started out, I only went for yosd and tiny's because their price tags were more accessible and they were so just so cute. I also enjoyed creating dioramas for my tiny's. Now that I have a new very enjoyable, well paid job I will be able to explore the world of SD's and msd's, can't wait to get a giant for my crew!
      One company whose work I mostly didn't like at the start was Doll Chateau, but I now want a few of their sculpts so bad! If only my work would let me work longer so that I could buy more

18. I was at first only into larger dolls and wanted to go down a fantasy route for my BJDs but now I've definitely started preferring cuter, more realistic sculpts. I'm also considering getting an MSD next, as I really want to see what it would be like to own a smaller doll that I can take around with me!

19. Yes, I experienced that, too. I never thought I would own an SD girl, because 60cm was to big for me, but then there came the right one and I immediately changed my mind. Also I'm a huge fan of big eyes, but now I have some dolls with small eyes, too. AND I never really payed attention to male BJDs and guess what: I'm on a search now. So it's totally normal to change ones mind, especally if you have friends with different tastes and they show interest in dolls you never saw before or they show you good points of a doll that changed your perspective of them :XD:!!!

20. When I discovered BJD's back in 2006, I loved big eyes and little nose like Dream of dolls. Now I love dolls with strong personnality, like ANother Secret dolls, Yuki dolls or Dollstown dolls. I was also in love with boy BJDs, now I've pretty much more girls than boys!
      What doesn't change is my preference for SD :)