1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing tastes in dolls?

Oct 24, 2017

1. The only thing I have unchanged since starting the hobby in 2013 is my love for the dark, black and gloomy stuff. Call it Gothic, if you will. I just like pale, mysterious and dressed in layers of black or graphit.

However, from wanting only boys I went to owning only girls and one boy who looks like a girl anyway.

From loving only realistic I went to liking big eyes.

From loving only victorian gothic I went to sewing and getting mostlt just mori, rococo and other cute and girly frills.

From loving unhealthy looking dolls (befoe it became a thing) I went to plumpy, at times even smiling, lively characters.

So... In general, while it were the gloomy looking dolls that drew me to the hobby at the beginning, it's the cute, light and doll-like aesthetics which i prefer these days. Still i got one gothy girl left and loved.

2. At the beginning I liked to have the dolls dressed in black very gothic
      Now I wear them more cute and of course I like them much more

I guess a person's tastes vary over the years, there's nothing wrong with that ^^

3. I like the idea of the time line!

2006 - 2009: Started out with a Delf and then got a 16cm Elfdoll Catsy. Saw some Volks YO-SDs at a meet and was not a fab. Too chubby and baby doll-ish for my taste. Bought more Delfs and another Catsy over time.

2010 - 2012:
      Despite not liking the Volks YOs, I got gobsmacked by Soom's Teenie Gems and started focusing on them.

2013 - early 2015: Started really missing the classic Delfs that were no longer being made. Got my first Kid Delf (older discontinued sculpt) and an older Delf. Also picked up a few Fairyland heads, one a remake of the original Delf Juri I missed out on and the other being the Elf Soony. During this time I picked up a new Kid Delf, but his head was too small and his body too thin. He almost felt like a mature mini next to my old school Kid Delf. I ended up selling him on to someone that could enjoy him more than I could.

2015 - 2016: Saw a Doll Chateau Agnes in person and HAD to get my own. She did not quite fit with with my crew's aesthetic, but somehow she was just able to squeak in by me saying she was the guardian of all the little Teenie Gems I had gotten. Agnes was a gateway doll it seemed and I ended up getting a Madeline as well, who does not really fit in, but I am somehow okay with that after 10 years of admit "the dolls must all git in together!" Also got another Teenie Gem and two more immature MSDs (a Dikadoll and another older Kid Delf).

2017 - early 2018 : The quest for old Delfs continues, and it was fruitful! I managed to find two that had been on my wishlist for years, and was gifted another by a dear friend!

Today: One of my Delf grails still eludes me (Tan Dark Elf Soo), and those Fairyland heads STILL need bodies. I have waffled back and forth on selling them, but cannot bring myself to do so. Now I kinda want to branch out a bit more.... dolls like Dollstown Jun and Loongsoul's Wanwan and Ghost Jing have my whim at the moment, but we will see where that goes. Aside from the Delf grail, I really want to get an chunky immature mini boy before exploring too much into a different style of doll. The doll buffet may be getting full, but there is always the matching side cabinet...

4. When I started collecting BJDs 7 years ago, I thought I wanted to create fantasy characters. But I soon realized I preferred modern day human characters. I do have 2 dolls that are elves, but they dress in modern human clothing.

Also, if I'd known then what I know now, I would have collected MSDs and YOSDs instead of SDs. I love my SD dolls very much, and it's actually my favorite size, but I have very limited space to display my dolls, and my space is already full. If I had more small dolls, I could collect more.

5. I would say the "style" of doll has stayed really similar, but when I entered the hobby I said I'd never own an SD. "They're too big, I have no space, blah blah blah" Yeah, that didn't work out. I now have 2 SD's, 2 msd's, and a whole lot of smaller dolls. I honestly thing I prefer the larger dolls purely for the amount of detail work I can do on their outfits and still have it look in scale.
      Space wise, they are a bit much. But I'm rearranging things to make room for them.

If anything has really changed, it's my taste in their clothes. When i started I really liked casual or goth and punk clothes. Now I find casual clothes to be boring and really miss being able to find super detailed item fairly commonly. I haven't ordered clothes from a site or fellow community person in forever, and really regret not pouncing on those beautiful pieces when they were around.

6. I am boringly consistent in my taste.

7. When I initially considered getting a bjd (10 years ago) I wanted an SD doll. But once I saw one in person, the size was too intimidating so I started looking into smaller scale dolls like MSD. I’ve kept that size for most of my dolls but once in a while I do ponder on the idea of getting an SD size doll due to their more mature sculpts. I’ve also been more open to bigger sizes due to my final jump on DDs recently.

Talking about DDs ...for the longest time, I didn't understand their appeal even though I loved anime. However as of recent years, I have started to like them. I believe this is due to the more recent face sculpts Volks has been releasing and finding the right customized face style I love. Within these months I have even been considering owning other vinyl dolls in the near future.

My preference for a doll style hasn’t changed ever since I took interest in bjds. I love the style that Bluefairy has and while I continued to long for that style for years, the funny thing is I ended up going for another company for my first doll. And while I do still love Bluefairy I have yet to purchase one of their dolls ...I just keep going for similar looking style companies instead haha;;

8. I'm going on my third year in the hobby. I can't say my tastes have changed much. My wishlist has certainly grown though. I set out thinking I would shell only a few characters from my stories... I'm up to 25 bjd's now with a couple more incoming! Oops. However, my goal is still the same, shell characters from my stories, and I lean towards more realistic sculpts but a couple of them do call for more stylized sculpts. I tend to go for the larger boys, but I have a few female characters and a few children characters so it's never been a 'rule' that I only want 70cm boys.

9. Through all these years I've been into bjd's I've been like a windmill in a freaking tornado. At first I was into more realistic MSD girls and had a strict idea of what I wanted to collect. Oh, before that I loved the Doll Chateau aesthetics which actually lured me into bjds in the first place. I liked their human sculpts though! I for some strange reason thought I didn't want fantasy dolls even though I've been into all sorts of fantasy and scifi universes pretty much always. Normal people are boring. XD I spend enough time with them already. :D So then I flipped into fantasy dolls, I have and elf MSD and a cyclops mod on the way. And I'm planning hybriding a sort of a water spirit based on my country's folklore.

I still adore and want mostly MSD's. SDs are too much to handle and display. I sort of even hated yo-sd's and tinies due to them portraying kids usually but then had a minor change of mind because of the sassy and super cute Irrealdoll Enyo. And then I found myself craving for a Littlefee/Pukifee Ante, which I used to dislike because it was popular. That, to me, has always been a crappy reason to hate stuff and I still did in this case. What. :'D

10. When I first got into the hobby, I was more interested in the SD and SD13 sizes. I had a preference for cute sculpts with big eyes and round, button noses. I didn't like many of the smaller dolls because they were too cutesy and not as realistic, and I wasn't too fond of the small size either. Fast forward about 9 years later and my preferences for bigger dolls are still the same, but now i tend to gravitate towards slightly more realistic dolls. Sure, I love me a sculpt with big eyes (like Volks Suiseiseki) but semi realistic sculpts are also captivating as well (like nobilitydoll, switch and soul doll's zenith line). Lately I've found that I also really like sculpts that are reminiscent of antique bisque dolls. I adore the MSD and tinier sizes now too!

11. When I joined the hobby I was quite sure to never own a girl doll... but never say never...
      My first girl is on its way and I am so excited!

I am really curious about how my taste is going to change in the future^^

12. My taste is ever changing and it gives me the most trouble most of the time. Since my attention is easily drawn away by anything that fancies me, and seeing many sculpt out there that I fancy, A LOT, I always have a hard time thinking which one I wanted the most. I'm the type of person that rather experiment and try all sorts than sticking to one aesthetic so my taste is pretty wide-ranged and it's really bothersome, to the point that I can't decide properly which doll I should buy next. Because I want them all at once, and it's not nearly possible to do that realistically either.

13. When I first saw a bjd on a convention years ago I was immediately drawn to their cute and frilly dresses, cat teeth and red eyes. Then when I bought my first bjd in December last year I went for long blue wigs, red eyes and cat like smiles.
      In the last few weeks I've noticed that I actually love corset dresses, dark brown/grey eyes and a softly smiling expression :3nodding: So there are no major changes in my taste. Some things will probably always be important to me: I prefer my dolls not to show too much skin, girly dresses are gorgeous and I adore detailed hand sculpts!

14. I have changed a lot!
      When I started, in 2013, I only wanted realistic MSD-sized dolls that went according to my personality at that time (sweet, but kinda plain and, now that I think of them, a bit boring). Two years after that date I received my first Yo-SD. But I wasn't happy enough cause the next two dolls I purchased were tiny anthros xD
      Now I have decided to take a break in purchasing and try to re-think my resin family and the direction I want to take with them so the pictures in my dolls' profiles may change a lot till the end of this year... who knows?

15. First, I was only going to collect fantasy and mature tinies (my tiny crew still stands at exactly one doll, lol). Then, I was only going to go for realistic, mature MSD (currently standing at two, with one more on the way this year). As of today, I have another five stylized MSD (including an anthro, for goodness sake!), and all hell has officially broken loose. By next year, I may have an SD-sized anime girl, if only because that's the farthest thing from my original tastes/goals I can think of.

The worst part is that it's not so much that my tastes have changed, as that they've broadened, so I'm still not safe from the things I liked when I first got into the hobby. DX

16. The same thing is happening to me now! I have also only been in the hobby a short time and was originally only interested in realistic looking 1/6 sized dolls and smaller... I now have a 1/4 scale Dollzone mirai coming in the mail :’) she is in anime style... and I have been eyeing off one of the boy anime style dolls from Dollzone as well :’)

17. I guess my tastes only changed slightly, probably because I haven't been in the hobby for that long. I used to love Volks and Fairyland design, perfect body and big eyes. I still thinks they are pretty and well made, but now I tend to go more towards weirder and more original designs like Doll Chateau and Dollzone. The combination cute/weird is my favourite of all!

18. Me! I used to HATE Doll Chateau because of how creepy the joints are. I still find the joints creepy, to be honest, but now I think the rest of the bodies are kind of charming. I'm usually more drawn to pear shaped bodies, but after looking at lots of pictures on instagram, I kind of like the skinny/bony look that some Doll Chateaus have. Even the way the little ribs poke out is kind of cute to me.

19. Yes! My tastes have been allll over the place and I've only been in the hobby since the beginning of this year! LOLOL

I started out with an SD17 sized boy that I still think was a very pretty doll! He was just sooooooo big! I felt anxious to leave him out of his box! I eventually sold him and got a yosd sized girl and 2 MSD girls and they are MUCH more manageable to me!

I also pre-ordered a DC Landa about 5 months ago and I'm pretty nervous that I'm not going to enjoy her as much as I did when I first purchased her!

20. Oh man. It has changed a lot in 13 years! I started with Luts but then again at the time there were not many options. And I thinkyou had to wire transfer the money! I loved SD sized boy dolls-would never get a girl. Would never sell a doll.

Started with an El. Somewhere after that a lumedoll keid, a Dikadoll finn maybe an obitsu. Still into heavily stylized dolls and fantasy dolls.

Probably had like a few year lull in the hobby then get into msd size hard then girl dolls. A throw and animal dolls. And then make the leap to start purging the collection every few years.

Then before I know it my entire collection is like stylized girls. Then get really into realism. Now, still on mostly realism but adding some sd boys back into the mix!