1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Changing tastes in dolls?

Oct 24, 2017

1. After my first doll, which was and still is my favorite, Unoa Lusis, I was not so choosey at first so most if not all of the 1/4 are slowly becoming Unoa hybrids. Then the nostalgia bug bit me so I have chased older dolls and re-released dolls and now mostly continue to love dolls by Gentaro Araki and older companies with just a bit of interest in more unusual dolls like Popovy Sisters, very high fashion. I need a solid styling year or 2 though, I have too many unfinished dolls in our collection. I’m not sure if I’ve completely given up on wanting each doll to have a place that makes sense within the collection. Sometimes that bugs me, to have one odd doll left without some sort of grouping. I still don’t sell them though.

2. Today I receive my first MSD doll and I’m already terrified I am falling out of love with my yosd girls! One of which I have almost finished a layaway for :(

3. have you experienced this? u fell inlove with a particular doll. and since it will take months of waiting, your taste has eventually changed and u want a different doll instead.

4. Then the person didn't really "love" it...

5. yes, I have experienced it ;) it was during my first year of dollying and I knew few sculpts at that time, not to mention all the ways they can be customized. Also, the doll I waited for then took 9 months to arrive. It's a lot of time and a lot happens if it's at the beginning at the hobby. My retailer forgot about my order and then ordered a wrong colour. So many negative feelings were connected with this doll, that I ended up completely discouraged.
      From what I see, it's a very popular thing and nothing to worry about :) It's similar to e..g when you order a bunch of handbooks when learning new skill/language only to realise (once you're advanced in this skill) that half of those handbooks turned out useless.

6. Me: "There is no way I would own SD dolls! They are too big!" (Has six.)
      Me: "I only like the pretty boys!" (Has muscular masculine looking males.)
      Me: "Doll Chateau looks weird!" (Has two of them and would buy more.)

7. 2016ish I was introduced to the hobby (might have been 2015 too, but 2016 was when I signed up on DoA.) I liked almost any "mainstream" adult and teenage dolls, in both SD and MSD sizes. My favourites were strongly Luts Senior Delf and Model Delf boys and Dollshe 18m boys. I ordered my first BJD. It was a Dollshe Fashion Grant, rather realistic guy. There was something I admired about him, but at the same time I recall I still wanted SD dolls from Luts etc but they were too expensive for me. I was strongly more into boys than girls.

2017 I ordered a Ringdoll SD boy, and I was generally still into tall slim mature boys. However I also started eyeing more realistic sculpts like Venitus, and I got interested in developing more realistic faceup skills.

2018 I got a Venitu. There were still mostly boys on my wishlist, and I had been introduced to companies like IOS and Doll Chateau and wished to own dolls from them some time. However I did randomly scroll also female dolls from Iplehouse and Luts and Dollshe. I had started to feel like having both MSD and SD dolls was not for me, I wanted all my dolls to match size-wise and started drifting towards only collecting SD.

2019 I sold my MSD doll and ordered my first girls. I started liking more and more realistic SD dolls and, having faced the trouble of clothing my boys, I also wanted some girls. I also sold my Ringdoll boy because slim SD boys were no longer something I liked. I no longer found Luts, Doll Chateau, IOS etc companies to be the right for me. At the end of the year I had pretty much as many boys as I did girls. I also got into smaller size child dolls, but in the same scale with my SDs so they could be in the same story. I reduced ordering from companies, wanted more unique dolls, and got into artist sculpts. I also shifted from owning 1-2 dolls to owning more like 10. I became really picky too. 2019 was the first year I really had money for dolls (as I got a good job) but I didn't want to own everything like I did in 2016. I had realized there are dolls that I like, and dolls that I want to own, and they are not the same thing. If I like a doll for the look of it but know I'd never have a character for it, I don't purchase it.

So it has changed a bit, perhaps to the better since I am no longer blinded by the amount of options. I only have had a few things in my doll style from the beginning to this day, and those include that I am mostly only into natural resin tones (no fantasy), and that I am not really into owning cute small dolls like Pukifees but I like bigger dolls, despite the trouble of dragging them around.

I have also started liking the doll for what I want to make of it, not for making it exactly like the promo pictures. I tried to make my first doll exactly like the promo photo, I had nothing of my own in mind, and I purchased my Ringdoll K because of the priest style, not because I liked the doll itself (and since the priest fullset was sold out I got him blank and then had nothing to do with him really). So I've also shifted from wanting to own full sets to wanting to get just the nude doll and customize it myself.

For the sake of my wallet, I would very much be pleased if I could keep liking the dolls I currently own.

8. I've only been in the hobby for a couple of months, and my interests have already expanded so much!

Me, November/December: Ugh Doll Chateau is so CREEPY. Little kid dolls are cute I guess but kinda weird. I'll stick with human only SD and MSD girls, thanks.
      Me, January: Aaaaaaah the tiny props are so cute and the YoSD outfits are adorable! I want a little brother for Yukiko.
      Me, February (like three days ago): OMG I want Doll Chateau Fuya, and Charon, and all the spooky/creepy trans-humanist dolls, the weirder the better :love

So yeah my taste in dolls expanded real fast!

9. I don't know about in a short span of time, but my tastes in dolls have definitely changed over the years! When I first started I loved Dream of Doll, but I honestly can't imagine buying one now (even if they were available). I prefer softer and slightly more realistic expressions and artist dolls now.

Even in the past few years my tastes have changed though! 2/3 years ago when I got back into the hobby, I didn't like most fairyland dolls... But now I love almost all of them. :lol:

10. My collecting life began in 2006, and since that time I’ve experimented some with sizes and sculpts and characters but never really style. I still strongly prefer the stylized, semi-anime look of companies like Luts, Peakswoods, Volks and Fairyland. When Doll Chateau came along, I fell in love with their weird aesthetic too and have added examples in every size. I always loved fantasy dolls and colored resin as well, and have many of them in my collection. Basically, I’d say that my collection of big-eyed, pretty, quirky sculpts continues to this very day.

11. Although my taste is almost so stable, sometime when a crazy idea come, I might have a dramatically change in the taste.
      For example, my collection is mostly childish, cute boys at I'm aiming to that style, Volks SD17 Williams is really a different experiment, as I had wanted to have a mature rebellious child at the time I bought him.
      I don't know I'm regretting about the changing or not, but it might interesting to try...

12. yes, when i got serious a few months back i was like "all i want are 60cm cute girls to dress up in lolita" fast forward now i own a mini army of 70cm+ shitty men looking like the yakuza spit them out cus they really just wanted to be demon twinks . ive also shifted from hating the pastel gore fairykei face ups to willing to sell my soul for one

13. When i first joined 12ish years ago i thought i only wanted very realistic dolls and got really tired of seeing cp dolls like lishe and el and juri05 cuz they were Everywhere.but after buying multiple realistic dolls and selling them after not bonding or knowing what to so with them, i realized i prefer bigger eyes or more unusual sculpts. And old cp is my favorite now, i gathering as many of them as i can(now that they are harder to find, of course)

14. So glad I found this thread because I was interested in the same thing lol. My tastes have changed SO much since I started in this hobby!! But to be fair it's been many years... I started out really into more... I don't know how to say it, like, edgy, unrealistic dolls? Like the old school Dollzone boys, the CP Luts dolls etc... But nowadays I'm really into softer, more realistic faces! I started getting into LittleRebel and Dollshe a lot, and I love a lot of the Iplehouse guys. I'm also really into dolls that look like models now.

15. My tastes have not changed much in my five years of owning BJDs. I have always been into collecting semi-realistic mature SDs with human-only features. There have been a few straying steps and in fact my first doll was a MSD against my will. But I have eventually ended up selling those dolls that deviate from my usual collection. I like seeing other kinds of dolls, but I would not like to own them.
      However, yesterday I did a thing. I brought home a Soom Vampire Gluino. He is visibly paler than any my dolls and he has vampire teeth. Yikes. Who knows if this will be a beginning of something new and I will start collecting fantasy sculpts, or if he remains a happy exception? He's lying there in our bedroom, in pieces in a box waiting for me to treat him into his full glory again.

16. When I first discovered BJD’s I only wanted cute female MSD’s! I was unsure of male dolls and YOSD sized and smaller.
      I now love unique sculpts of all sizes and genders! I have certainly learned how to appreciate all dolls lol

17. I don't think my aesthetic tastes have changed, seeing as how I've always been interested in the big, mature boys but I'm really excited that the market tastes changed and expanded and now there's so many mature male sculpts to choose from! I did realize that the 60-70 scale was too much for me, and that the mature minis are really what really hits that sweet spot for me for posing and handling.