1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Character dolls vs. Companion dolls vs. Art dolls vs. ???

Jul 5, 2008

1. When I first got my doll, I got her because she was pretty and I thought I could take some nice pictures and use her as a model.

Then I began participating in the BJD community and for some reason I was under the impression that EVERYONE used their dolls as characters for their stories (don't know where I got this idea) so I thought I had to do the same to justify spending so much money on the hobby.

Then I decided I didn't really enjoy that aspect so much. I give my doll a "floating name" (it tends to change...) and love to sew things and occasionally take pictures. So long story short, I think these dolls can serve more than one purpose for the owners and I think it's likely to evolve overtime. Definitely not a bad thing because I think it keeps the hobby fun and interesting if it ever gets a bit stale! :)

2. When I got my first BJD it was because I had this severe want for one. I wasn't really sure why, but I had been staring at them for months and I really really wanted one.

My friends who have BJDs all have characters and stories for their dolls, so I sort of felt like I should have them for mine as well. I'm a writer and I already have a TON of characters and stories, but for some reason, giving my dolls THESE characters and stories seemed strange to me, so I gave them different ones, special to just them. It blossomed into something all its own, and I'm so happy that I went in this direction. I totally love the characters and dolls.

I do have some dolls that have less strong characters, and not very well written stories, and I love them, too, however my love for strong characters is probably a little more ;)

3. I have dolls modeled after characters, but I mostly have characters modeled after dolls, if that makes any sense, haha ^^;;
      If I find a sculpt I really love and decide to buy it, I'll usually make a character around the sculpt. That being said, all my dolls could be described as "character dolls", but they also fill the role of "companions" as well.

4. well that is good to hear! My situation is very simar to yours. I have characters, but it doesn't feel right to make dolls based on them. It doesn't feel right for me at least! It's good to hear that it's not the only successful direction to take it!
      My dolls have names, personalities, and what I think they like or dislike, but they don't really have backstories, motivations, fears ect. I guess I just don't like limiting it :)