1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Characters for your dolls VS. dolls for your characters

Oct 29, 2010

1. I do both.

I become fascinated with a sculpt, then think of a character that suits him/her, in relation to my other dolls. It works best when I have a nearly-immediate inspiration upon seeing pics of a new doll/sculpt. Buying a sculpt I'm intrigued by, then trying to conjure up a possible character hasn't worked for me; those are the ones who eventually wind up for sale.

Then there's the child versions of my existing characters; I have to search for the sculpts that look like their younger selves -- although sometimes they find me. ;)

It's a very open process; you needn't confine yourself to just one method.

2. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?

Characters for dolls!Definitely...

Do you think one way is better or more suited for the hobby?

I think in many cases with the proper research it is probably easier to have a character in mind, especially when looking at reference photos and poses- rather than getting the doll home and being like 'hmmm what can I do with this guy?' But being easy might not be better for some people, it's just my opinion.

Have you always done one, or did something make you switch along the way? Why switch?

I've always felt this way @_@

3. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      Well, for the doll I just got, I made a character for him as the sculpt was beautiful and the most inexpensive one I could find that I absolutely loved.
      For the next doll I plan to own, it's a doll that's going to go with a character I've already made, so I can have a buddy for the one I just got so... I guess I'm both.

No, it depends on the person and their preferences and what suits their needs.
      As you saw, I am doing both. I got a doll I loved, made a character for him because it suited what I needed to do.

Have you always done one, or did something make you switch along the way? Why switch?
      It's weird to not have a character or twelve lying around so when I ordered the doll, his face just didn't suit anything I had so I made one for him...
      I do prefer to have characters before they get here, though. I just hope he likes his name @___@

4. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?

er... both

hm... I think, characters for your dolls because I find for myself and I see other ppl who do a lot of buying, selling and trading when they're trying to find molds that suit the dolls exactly so if you love a mold and build a character around it, there's less hassle.

I do both... because I have stories and want to 'bring those characters to life' so to speak. Then other times I"ll fall in love with a mold and think on it for a while trying to figure out what story to give them ^_^

Any other thoughts on the matter?

Not that I can think of right now

5. I've done both. I started writing when I was sixteen but haven't Dolly-fied" any of the characters from that first story. Though both Tala and Daniel are dolly-fied characters from my second story, characters that have changed a lot since they were first created *e.g. neither are human like they were originally and Tala now has a brother **also dolly-fied** Though I'm much happier with them now to the point where I felt comfortable spending hundreds on their real world shells.
      Now when I first saw dream of dolls code no.02 last year, a character formed all by himself within hours and that was the first time I created a character for a doll. I'll do the same more in the future no doubt, though I try to avoid that spontanious character creation moment that happens to me when I see what I think is an absolutely gorgeous bjd XD

6. I've done both. My first seven dolls came without characters and their characters developed/evolved over time. My latest two dolls are actually attempts to shell some RP/literary characters I've been writing for years. Future dolls could go either way. I keep looking for certain characters of mine, but I'm also motivated to get dolls that are good pattern models and the two don't always coincide. So a pattern model doll will probably have to evolve a character rather than have one given to him/her.

When I took up this hobby, I hoped to shell those characters eventually, but I've only really just started to do so.

7. I'm not one of these talented people who write, so I don't exactly have pre-existing characters to put into dolly form. So I guess it's definitely characters for dolls for me!

I've heard so many people saying that they had very specific plans for a certain doll only to have those plans *completely* undermined by the doll when it gets home! I don't want to put a lot of effort into a character/personality/backstory only to find it doesn't fit when the doll is in my hands. I have some general ideas mapped out but I haven't pinned anything specific down, I'm looking forward to getting to know my girls and developing their personalities over time!

8. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      Character for dolls, I already have paper to draw my other characters on, why do I need to make them into expensive dolls? (I draw, not write, so I don't do the whole 'putting my words into pictures' -AKA doll form- )

No, of course not, if you have a character from a story you love enough to make into a doll, go for it! I actually love seeing those kinds of dolls, and learning about all the stories people have in their heads through their dolls. I just personally wouldn't do that.

No, I'll probably never make a doll for one of my own characters, I've been thinking of making one or two manga characters I really like into dolls, but not my own. (Though one of my characters I would enjoying in doll form, the mold I would use it going to by my first doll, so I'm not gonna. )

Hopscotchand pineapples. People should do what they like, and I dig their dolls no matter where they're from inside Imaginationland.

9. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?

Characters for dolls :) although mine tend to come from particular interests. For insance, one is very 1920's because I like that era in terms of fashion, one is Art Nouveau inspired, another is Modern-Chic, and then their characters spring from there.

Nope, I think you can go either way. :) I've seen wonderful examples of both and examples of neither!

I started out wanting to do dolls for my characters but I could never find dolls that were 'just right' and I found a thousand dolls I just loved who I could see forming characters for. But I was so set on doing it 'right', that is having dolls to be my characters so they felt 'functional' and served a purpose. I inevitably reached the point where, I'm not worried about my characters I have running away from my head, they live there quite nicely. So I use the dolls I have now as expressions of my many interests and they form their own characters whom I then shove into my already made-up worlds.
      Pretty much always done it characters for dolls after the initial struggle and feeling of 'I'm doing it wrong!'

I really wish I hadn't stressed so much and tried to force characters into dolls, once I realized it was okay to have a doll for no other reason than I wanted that particular one because I liked it, all their characters fell into place. I don't think people should feel pressured to do it one way or the other, or even at all. :)

10. Both. I've been forming characters and stories in my head since I was about six, although obviously not much deep thought was put into refining them until I was twelve, then I started branching out personalities and backstories and relations, etc etc.

My reason for "dolls for characters" is because I didn't discover the BJD hobby til 2008, and even then I didn't look at BJDs as a way to portray my characters in a physically artistic form-- partially because I had no idea why in the world BJDs were so expensive, at the time I didn't know they were highly customizable. I never did have much patience for Barbie dolls and the such. :sweat

"Characters for dolls" came in a while after I started taking particular interest in the BJD hobby. In the beginning I was merely looking for sculpts to match my characters, but there're so many lovely dolls that I just couldn't help falling in love with, so for these I don't prepare a character for them until I get them home and see what I can make of them. :)

11. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      I love writing. And when I first found out about BJD's I could hear my characters yell and begged to have dolls be made like them. I don't mean I heard voices, but I thought it would be awesome to have Maira be a doll. one day I might get a doll just so it can have it's own character

na, it's to each it's own. I have no problem with it, and one day I might just get a doll to see the other side of the situation. I've seen a lot of molds I like that none of my characters fit.

Well, considering she is my Maira is my first doll, I'll be thinking about doing it the other way.

nope none at all

12. Characters for your dolls VS. dolls for your characters

When I first was considering getting a BJD, several years back, I assumed that the character would develop as I interacted with the doll. For monetary reasons that never panned out, but now I have a character who is screaming to be made into a physical form. So I guess it depends whether I have a character who wants to be corporealized, whether or not I based my characters on dolls or vice versa.

I don't think one or the other is better suited to the hobby, but I will say that it seems the more "unique" dolls, were characters first. I think some of the more generic dolls were dolls first and a real strong sense of uniqueness never developed for their character. That's fine, and in fact some of the more unique dolls can be very off-putting (the very dark vampires or punks come to mind) so it's all a matter of preference. And it's certainly not a hard-and-fast rule, as there are very unique doll-first dolls, and very boring character-first dolls. :)

13. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      Well I don't have BJD yet, but I already had a character made when I found my (soon to be) DIM Benetia, and she was perfect!
      So I guess that makes me (at least for my first BJD) a doll for my character. ;)

Nope! I feel like if you find a perfect doll to suit your character it's an amazing feeling, and I'm sure it's an amazing feeling to make a character for your doll as well. :lol:

14. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      Both, for sure.

Not at all, I know with my dolls I get joy and inspiration from them whichever way their characters came to them.

Interesting experience, actually. I thought when I bought my first doll I might be satisfied with one doll only (hah, right) and so I chose her just based on the face/body I liked best at the time, intending to change her style often, and with no character planned ahead of time. I figured it'd develop as I owned her, and it did. But I eventually settled into one look I really liked for her, and I started craving more than one doll to paint and wig and dress. The variety of dolls in my preferred size (1/4 scale mature mini) was exploding about that time so I started seeing lots of sculpts that reminded me of various original characters of mine, and I began basing my wishlist around those. I have three OC dolls right now (actually, one doll and two heads waiting for bodies) and they're awesome too. Then I also have a doll that was intended to be an OC, but never really looked right. About a month ago an idea came to me for how to style her differently, and a brand new character and story sprang into life very quickly after I'd done that.

You can only really know which type you are once you start owning dolls, is what I discovered :)

15. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?

Oh, I'm a "doll for my characters" kind of person, I think. I have many characters created firstly for a manga series of mine, and it's been pretty fun to find the right mold for each type of them!

I don't think it's necessary to create characters / stories for someone enjoy the hobby, but I do think it's a "plus". In my opinion, it's a personal decision.

Yes, right ater I knew the abjd's world, I created an story, not based on any doll I knew, though. It was based on RPGs (mainly Vampire the Masquerade) and some other influences.

I think everyone who never create a character for their doll shoul try doing it someday! ^^ It's really fun, and it doesn't hurt to try if the people enjoy/ sympathize with the idea.

16. I would say I use both ways- I have many OCs, but I usually don't see sculpts that strike me as being "them" because my characters are rather unusual looking. However, there are some dolls I have seen that I would in fact buy to represent an existing character. There are very many dolls, however, that do not fit in with my story or OCs at all, but I would still buy just because I love the sculpt so much and let them develop their own personality.

17. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?

I personally would go both ways. It truly depends on how the doll feels and how I feel.

Not that I think of...o.o

I would NEVER switch. What they are is what they truly are. Nothing will change ^_^.

Depending on how you see your doll and what your relationship with the doll is, I feel you should give it time for the doll's personality to come alive. No rushing. ^_^

18. I prefer buying a doll and THEN creating a character. To me, I would love the doll more for the way it is. But I guess everyone has their own opinion. I actually don't have a set character for one of the dolls I'm getting and I have no idea if I will have one for a while. But I really love her sculpt as well as the others. It's also mainly because I love BJDs and would prefer to have ones that I truly want. Not because it just happened to fit something.

19. So far, I've only been a "dolls for characters" person. I will say, this is a lot easier on my wallet. Otherwise, I'll be tempted to buy any lovely sculpt that comes along. Instead, I have to look at it and say, "Does this actually fit any of my characters?" If not, I won't buy it.

20. Which type are you? a Characters for dolls, or a dolls for characters?
      Both, really. I haven't a doll yet but I'd seriously buy a doll for my OC or make a character to go around a doll I would buy... It gives your OC/doll a much more real kind of glow about them. If you know what I mean.

Naw, people can do what they will with their dolls.

Nope, I've always thought it would be cute to do either.... :< Once I get that doll after December.

Pie.