1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Cheek Blushing, Anyone? Or Lack Thereof?

Mar 12, 2010

1. depends on the doll i suppose (and what style faceup) ... personally i dislike strong chin-blushing or "around the mouth" blushing, some people find it's more natural or cute, but i wouldn't like that for any of my dolls. I prefer subtle cheek blushing.

2. I prefer with blushing, even if it's just a bit of subtle color.
      I think it looks unnatural for the cheeks to not be colored at all, but they don't need to have bright, rosy cheeks either.

3. I tend to like my dolls to have some color, because they look a little dead without at least some blush work, but I don't like really obvious 'Oh hai, see my pink cheeks, I either just came in from the cold or I got into mommy's make-up' style blushing.

4. I agree with skwerlie, blushing adds more realism the to face up. The application of light blushing in either pink or natural shades of brown can actually make the resin look translucent. Human skin tones will often be a bit darker around the eyes and a bit rosier around the cheek area. So I would try to incorporate that into the face up. If you don't like pink, a subtle shading in a brownish based color can be used.

5. Blush blush blush!! It's so important to get a certain look, in my opinion! Agreed, not necessarily pink, but it can be a darker, more peachy color, or browner, around the eyes! It depends - but blush is one of the most important parts of a face-up, in my opinion. Good blushing makes all the difference. Lashes, eyebrows - all that can be practiced, but a good blushing is invaluable. :)

6. I suppose it depends on the doll and the character. Though now that I actually think about my dolls and my faceup requests, I'm actually not a huge fan of cheek blushing since almost none of my dolls have it, and when asked for it I usually say none.

Shading around the eyes I am all about, but don't care much for the cheeks. And I really hate the look that is popular right now of neon pink blushing on the cheek almost directly under the eye. Makes them look like they have really uncomfortable sunburn.

7. I think it really depends on the style you want your doll to have.... and the character ^^

Everyone seem to have said what I would have liked to say xD

8. I ALWAYS blush cheeks. Just slightly. They can look really flat and unfinished to me without a touch of color there. But when I say slight, I mean it! Sometimes it's just barely visible, but there's something there to add dimension and realism. It might be peachy or a touch of brown or just a skin color slightly darker than the resin, but there's something there.

Other than that really basic blushing, it depends on the character. For little kids I'd add a bit more rosy to the cheeks, for girls maybe a touch more makeuppy type blush along the cheekbone rather than concentrated on the apple of the cheek. I've also shaded a touch darker under the cheekbone to add dimension. I generally blush really lightly, and I don't like it when a doll looks like it's got a rash or has just been slapped, LOL! But I do always put something on the cheeks.

9. In general I'm personally not a fan of the cutsie dramatic blushing. I think I went over my boy's cheeks with some blush...maybe...once...Let's put it this way, I can't tell from here and I can't remember if I did or not. If I did any blushing of his cheeks it's VERY subtle. When I get my girl I'll probably give her more blushing in her cheeks because it'll work for her.

10. I think well-executed, layered blushing is the hallmark of a great faceup. I'm not a huge fan of dark blushing on the chin, but some colour in the cheeks even on a boy can really bring the sculpt to life. It depends on the look you're going for, of course. Sometimes the blushing works better around the eyes, sometimes adding colour under the hint of cheekbones in the sculpt, etc. Too much is too much regardless of where it is on the sculpt.

11. Another thing to add, blushing can help define the cheekbones which is why I love it. It can be heavy or light depending on how you want the doll to look.

12. I like cheek blushing as long as it's not too heavy or dark, but only on girl dolls.

13. I like blushing or at least contouring of some sort--just to bring out the structure of a sculpt. Although, there are some really amazing subtle faceups as well that are minimalist in style.

14. I like a really natural look for my dolls. So... not much blushing of the cheeks exactly, but I will blush places that would naturally be darker on a person... like areas under/around the eyes, ears, etc.

15. I have white skin dolls and 2 grey skin dolls. I don't find cheek blush look good on those colours. And it wouldn't really fit my doll personalities. They are fantasy people, Gods and Goddesses and such. Blush is too human, in my opinion. :p

16. Thank you all so very much for the replies. I'm really enjoying reading all the different thoughts and feelings on this!

17. Well, my doll has it, but I daresay it's not very obviously, seems to highlight the shape of his face rather than being a rather obvious blush. I think I quite like it anyway. Some color definition can shape the contours of the face. Makes it more shapely.

18. I like a lot - I like stylised, dramatic flushing like a Victorian maiden or sunburned rosy cheeks in particular. Blank cheeks really don't float my boat at all, although maybe on boy doys.

19. The face tells me if blushing is required..the older the face I think more so...
      .. it might also be use to accentuate a feature...
      Carol

20. I would rather not have cheek blushing on my boys. The only color to my boy's faces is some darkening around the bridge of the noses. I'm thinking about doing it for a couple of the cuter characters once they arrive though. On females I think it definitely adds something to the faceup.