1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. I'm currently in a bit of a mental debate because I haven't purchased my first doll yet, but plan to before the end of the year ... but I'm now torn between three dolls. I'll be honest, the biggest draw to Bobobie's Apollo for me is that I could have an SD sized BJD that I honestly do like for a lot cheaper. However, I always loved DollZone's Megi-2 ... and I recently fell for B&G's Sky.

So, I'm in the middle of that age-old debate of (which is currently another thread) do I get the doll I think I'll be the happiest with, or the doll I know I can afford with the least amount of buyer's remorse? :sweat

2. I'm in almost the exact same boat as you, Orca.

I'm in love with the character I've created to go with my first choice, a DoT. However my third choice is about half the price of that. And seeing how I'm overly impatient... >>;;

3. Yeah, that's the thing. I know I can afford an Apollo a lot sooner. But I know that I probably would be happier with a Sky. A case of patience and conscience warring with each other. It's almost like buying a car! XD

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Hmm... I saw a picture of Elfdoll Lydia and was instantly in LOVE!! I had previously been in love with Sooah, but she was out of the picture when I'd lain my eyes on Lydia. I just knew I couldn't live without her.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      When I still wanted her after a couple months and hadn't fallen so in love with any other dolls in the same way.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      No. She's very lovely. Exactly what I wanted. Although about a week after she arrived, I did order an Iplehouse Louis that I began to have doubts about... He hasn't made his way home yet, but I don't regret buying him.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      Yes, I still own my Elfdoll Lydia. I've only had her for a month!!

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      She was a present, and I chose her. My parents were awesome and let me get her for my birthday this year!!

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

It was love at first sight.

Pretty much as soon as I saw the company photos.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

Never. I've adored Harumatsu from the minute I opened his box. He's always been my favorite.

Harumatsu is a CP Delf Shiwoo, and yes... I still have him.

Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

Yes. Technically, he *was* sort-of a late Christmas gift from my husband, but I was the one who picked him and I was the one who pushed that "order" button. :lol:

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, I surfed around a lot of group orders, found an MSD sculpt I totally fell in love with... and voila. ^^

A few days after seeing him, after realising I couldn't go an hour without staring at his picture =P

Well... I do wish the body were more flexible, but since I couldn't have told that from the picture... ^^; I'm fine with him, he'll forever be my baby.

An AF Xi. I'm redoing his face-up from the default one now, to a more dark look. I'm planning on getting him a new body though.

=) His name's Ives.

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I still haven't gotten my first in yet, but the way I decided was when I saw a Group Order thread for a Gary Oldman Minimee. He played my favorite Dracula EVER, so having a Gary Oldman Minimee was just an irresistable offer. I've had others that I wanted first, and I hadn't been able to get them for the price, but I KNEW that I couldn't let him slip through my fingers, because there were only going to be 10 of him ever made with open eyes, and if I missed this, chances were I wouldn't be able to get him again, so I just HAD to find a way to get the 100 something dollars to get him. I hadn't even THOUGHT about making a Gary Oldman Dracula bjd until I saw that, probably because I figured they were all already taken from the Minimees, so I didn't think about it.

I knew pretty much when I realized I'd be able to get the money to pay for him. lol :XD: which was...er...probably today? hahaha I found some of my doll money savings that I'd forgotten about, so the price of him was even closer to being able to accomplish! :D

Sure, there might be a part of me that wishes my first doll had been a full doll instead of just a floating head, but I know that he'll get his body soon enough, so it shouldn't be that big of a problem. :) I'll just have my Vlad Dracula, and that's all that matters. hehehe Vlad the Impaler is my favorite historical, fictional, and movie figure ever, and he was my favorite version of movie Dracula. I just COULDN'T pass it up. :D

Guess this is already stated in the first question, but it's the Gary Oldman Minimee, and he hasn't been shipped out yet, so technically I don't own him yet. XD Does that still count? hahaha

I'm the only one in the household that knows I'm even getting him. :| I don't know how I'm going to explain this box in the mail to my mom, since we're low on funds, but hey, when I'm only going to have to pay 60 dollars out of my next paycheck, there's nothing to complain about. hahaha

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      well I wanted something MSD sized, so basically I could still have a decent sized doll but not at the price of a SD <<; Later on in my research I got to see just how big SD's were and they were just too huge, knew I had to stick with something MSD sized.
      Well I was looking at getting a Luts Kid Delf. I was a bit disappointed that it had more of a 12 year olds body/sculpt but when I saw Fairylands Minifee's I though they were the perfect ones for me, a MSD size with an adult body, and when I saw the shiiwoo sculpt I knew it was meant to be true beautiful some what feminine but boyish looking too I knew that was my doll.
      I'm prety satisfied now that I have him, though I some times wish it could be easier to find and buy clothes for them and wouldn't of had that problem if i got a kid self of a regular SD but I'm happy with how my shiiwoo looks.
      urrr Fairyland Minifee Shiioo , had my Tsubasa for about a week now ^^;

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? For me, it was between Rosencrantz (DoD's DoT Camine and my dream doll), and Peter (CH's Meoloo). I wanted Rosencrantz so badly, and actually started saving up for him first, but I blew all that money on a summer festival and, disheartened, decided to save up for Peter instead, because he was a much lower hurdle to jump.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first? When I thought about how long it would take to save up the amount of money I'd spent again.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? I've never been unhappy with my choice for Peter. I find it incredibly easy to look at his face for long periods of time, and when I look at him after not seeing him for a while, my heart melts all over again. I love him dearly. I've frequently wished I could get Rosencrantz first, however, because Rosencrantz was the reason that I got into this hobby proper, on top of being my dream doll. But now all that is moot, because he's on his way to me now, and I feel I actually made the right choice to put him off for later, because I decided that it would be better to get him along with Guildenstern, and I got a job, and funds came to me much more easily. It didn't seem as big of a hurdle (that and I kind of dipped into 'forbidden funds' to get them, so it was a bit of an impulse buy. I just suddenly decided 'I want them. NOW.').
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it? Peter was my first, and I do indeed still own him.

10. My girl isn't here yet, but I have no worries about her. I was just looking around the DZ site when I saw the Shoyo cat. At the time, I was planning on making CP Soo my first doll. But that all changed when I saw Shoyo. When I saw the pictures of her and her cute little cat ears I knew I had to have her. She was a good price and came as a fullset. I ordered her a few days after that.

For a few days after that I began to worry if I had chosen the wrong doll. But everytime I look at the pictures of her I can't help but smile. I don't have this reaction when I look at Soo anymore. I can't wait to get her, I know I made the right choice ^^

11. So my first doll haven't yet arrived, but since she is ordered I figured I'm allowed to answer the questions about the deciding process. I found out about dolls alltogheter at a site called craftster where I saw a woman who had sewn a dress for a bjd. Actually that doll wasn't in resin but it made me curious of what bjds were... so I ran over here and started looking around. I became fascinated.

How did you decide which doll should be your first?
      I'm one of those methodical people... so I found a list with many of the abbrevations used on the forum and since many of them stand for doll companies I looked at each of those companies. Some dolls were sweet, some were cute, some were beautiful. I knew I wanted a doll not only with a beautiful face, but with a somewhat realistic ( read "no silicone boobs on a slender child") body. Then after looking around I saw the girl I fell in love with... god she was sweet... and her body looked really really good. I really didn't find any doll in any size who in my heart could compare to her.

Well I knew from the fact that my cheep mind wasn't having a brain-attack over the idea of spending hundreds of dollars on a doll. But just to be sure I looked over some 60+ companies again (another list) and realized that I really had fallen head over heels for this girl.

Which doll was your first
      My first doll is an IH Tania Basic (aka the most beautiful girl in the world).

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I basically was brought into Volks and pointed at the one I felt the most appealed to me, which was surprisingly fast. It was a display doll, of course. =P

It was by pure chance really. I had my heart set deadfast on Nobility Doll LIE exactly as he was in the promo pic on Dollmore a couple years back. However, the moment I saw the Volks basic doll, which was what the display doll was, I knew I had fallen in love.

Oh no! I totally am still in love with her! Even though she's only a basic doll, I think she's the most beautiful BJD out there.

It's a Volks SD10 Kun. And yes, I still own her.

Yep, I was able to chose it. It was actually an "I love you gift" from my fiance. He said I could chose between a piece of jewelry or a doll, and I chose the doll. I tried to get the cheapest one, but he said to follow my heart, and I did. I'm forever grateful that he said those words. :)

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well... I chose a doll that I thought I would like. Turns out I didn't. After selling him because I loved another doll, and was lacking the love for this one, I decided to look hard and find the doll of my dreams. I decided on him really, because hes the only mold that hit close to home :3

It was hard to find a Bada mold >.>; Not very common to come by AT ALL. But I knew he was the doll for me, because he just warmed my heart. The mold was more then just a doll to me, it was like a calling~

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that
      you've ordered another one?

With my first doll, yes. I felt horrible~ But I know hes with a good owner!! Now though, I am very happy.

A Dollmore Pado was my first, and I sold him. But I can never see myself selling Prince Hachiko, my Ninodoll Bada.

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It kinda chose me as it came back into stock all of a sudden on Volks site.

I'd been after it for some time but cost and availability were a problem.

No not really. I regret not having enough money to get another though :)

I had only got fashion dolls prior to this.

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?-i looked for a cute doll that was a mini and one that maybe i would get used to faster.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first?-when i looked at her on the website and realised that i totally fell in love with her.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?-no,i am very extremely happy with her and i don't regret choosing her.
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?-my first is a luts kid delf aru girl and i still have her:)

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?-yea,i chose her and she was not a present,i had to use my own money given by my relatives for lunar new year.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Love at first sight mostly then much umm-ing and ah-ing.

I'd been considering various BJD's probably for around 6 months before I took the plunge. When I decided that yeah I was going to buy one I was torn between a couple of dolls that I adored but in the end it was size that was the deciding factor since I was nervous that SD may be a bit too big (and now I mostly have SDs... go figure)

I did change my mind about her after a few months, it was largely my own fault though. I made a lot of noobish mistakes with her but I don't regret buying her at all and wouldn't change my choice, I learnt a lot through those mistakes ^^;
      I don't really consider her all that special simply because she was my first though so it didn't pain me that much when the time came to sell her. Actually my second doll means a lot more to me (my Yder) because he's a character I've had for a long time.

She was a Kid delf elf Nara and nope, sold her a while ago.

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I actually wanted a KDF An, because I thought he looked cute on the luts site.
      But then after a few months of not sure if I wanted a bjd or not,
      I saw the BlueFairy moulds and liked Loius at once :)
      There's not many photos of other Louis owners, but he looked very cute so I wanted him.

I kept looking at images of him and felt that I really wanted him.
      Also I became committed to saving? xD;
      Also I thought his price was reasonable.

I'm very happy with him ^___^

BlueFairy Louis, yeh I still have him XD I've had him for 3 months? o__<

Yes I was able to choose it.
      I saved up for him myself, which makes me feel happy ^__^

18. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was looking for MSD size, I knew that 60cm would be too big for my needs... I found Luts Kid delf and really liked about 5 of the sculpts. I knew it had to be a boy, and I narrowed it to Ani, Cherry, Bory, Hodoo and Ttori.

When he was the one my gaze was drawn to every time I looked at the pictures of my 5 "finalists". His face was quite different to the others, his eyes weren't as large and he had the cutest little pout, he was perfect for the character that I had forming in my mind. :D

Absolutely not. I haven't even had him a week yet, and even though his character has completely changed from what I originally had planned, I love him more than ever :aheartbea I don't feel a thing now for the other sculpts I had in mind, and I knew completely from when I ordered that he was the one.

Kid Delf Hodoo..... my brand new boy :) yes I still have him, and I think it will prove very difficult to anyone trying to remove him from my side ;) He is definately herre to stay :)

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I looked at a lot of doll websites at various sculpts that were in my price range. The harder part was picking between two dolls--the AR Present Jade that I ended up choosing and a Kid Delf Ani boy (though he became my second doll)

What broke the tie between the two dolls was the fact that the AR was an LE whose order period was about to end. I knew I could always go back and buy the Ani later, so I went ahead and got the Jade.

No, he was a great first doll. Not knowing much about bjds at the time, it was nice to get a fullset that was ready to play with out of the box (he's also adorable).

AR Present Jade ver 1, and yes I still own him :)

I bought him myself.

20. i took one look at my boy and was like OMG Have to have. yep. I actually wanted a DoC Kirill as my first... but I had always wanted a taller boy.. and well then came a DoT Camine. It like omg want.. but then I suddenly leaned towards a sha.. and well thats whats in my arms now as i type. I defiantly am not unhappy. I love my boy to death.. Just wish he didnt have a dear in headlights stare all the time.. :| even if i adjust his eyes...