1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. How did YOU decide which doll should be your ifitrst?
      I was just looking around on Luts website, didn't really think I would find a doll for me...

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      Since I don't own any other bjd it was going to be my first.
      And there she was, sticking out from everyone else.
      The others went pale around her and her eyes just grabbed my attention like a hook.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

No. She is perfect.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      My Lin is a Kid Delf Litchi from Luts :aheartbea

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

Considering the thought of having a doll a meter in height kind of scared me... I opted for a MSD for my first doll and I'd been eyeing up dolls on the Luts and Dream of Doll website quite a bit. I was torn between buying a DoC Homme Kirill or a Kid Delf Bory, but at the time, Luts weren't accepting Paypal while DoD was. I don't feel comfortable scanning of faxing my info to a company, so yeaaah... you could say I went with the company that accepted Paypal so I was limited to that company's sculpts when choosing which doll to buy as my first :XD:

I chose Kirill out of the rest of the DoC dolls because of his smirking, mischievous face. It stuck out most amongst the other dolls. His expression kept giving me a 'Come hither and purchase me' look and I eventually gave in lol! I knew I wanted him when I kept going back to his page on the DoD website. I mean, going back repeatedly to ogle at his photos *_*

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

Nope! I love my boy... although my only regret is I didn't choose the new body with the double joints. I chose the older body with the longer legs so he can't pose as well as other DoCs with the newer body can :(

Dream of Doll, DoC Homme Kirill - and yush, I still have him.. he's on my lap right this moment :XD:

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

Nah, it wasn't a present. I ordered and paid for the doll myself so I got to choose which one I wanted to buy *nods*

3. Wich one is my first? The one I ordered first or the one I got first? (I got 3 dolls while waiting for my first girl) *_*

Okay I'm going to talk about the one I ordered first. :)

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I knew right from the beginning that I wanted a MSD girl with a mature body. So when I decided I wanted one I just started looking at all the companies that offered mature MSDs. I saw a lot of molds I liked but they kind of turned out to be boys. I thought a lot of the girls had too big eyes. (At that time I didn't think of the possibility of getting a boys head on a female body) It wasn't like instand love or anything - I just ended up choosing the one I liked them most. I didn't like her face-up though so I ordered her without and decided to give her one myself. I really started to love her dearly after she arrived - or rather after I gave her her face-up.

A day or two before I ordered her. I looked at as many owner pictures I could find in those days.

I think today I would have choosen another one but I love my girl to death. A while after I ordered her I decided to name her after a caracter in a fairietale I wrote many years ago. And after that she slowly started to turn into that caracter.

DollZone Feilian and yes I still have her. I could never part from her. I love my Ilvara. :aheartbea

Dustbunnie

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I had been looking for the first perfect doll for well over 1.5 years, changing my mind about every 2 weeks or so. I could not even chose if I wanted a girl or a boy.
      and well when I saw my first doll for the first time here on the forum in an owner picture I simply fell in love with the mold and had to try and buy him for myself.

well I really started to want to buy him after I saw the owner picture because I had seen him before in luts make up and did defenetly not like how he looked there, so when I saw him in the picture I guess I decided to get him as my fist doll because he was simply a perfect fit for the character I was looking for.

since I bought my boy I have seen a whole lot of wonderfull dolls come from the company's that I would like to have if I had the money. but feeling unhappy about my first doll? never, I love him dearly and have never had any regrets.

My first doll was a Dollshe Saint, and he is still right here with me. and to be honest I do not see him ever leaving in the future.

Yes I did get to choose him, and I got so safe up every penny for him myself :)

5. When I bought my first BJD in 2003 there weren't many choices. The first doll I saw was a CH Choa and she was the one I really wanted. She was listed as sold out for so long that I eventually ordered a Lishe. I really loved her, but I still wanted Choa. It took another year for me to finally get her. I enjoyed both of them, but they have been re-homed since my tastes have changed.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

My girlfriend had just bought a Dollshe SA Saint and he was the most beautiful doll I had ever seen. She told me I should pick a doll to be his partner. At first I went for one of the tall girls, Dollmore's Ipsae. She was almost perfect, but something was off. Something just didn't feel right. A few months later I found myself second guessing. I didn't want to buy a doll and have it not be perfect. One day while I was bored I brought up Gigglegeek and went through each doll company, and sure enough I saw her. She made me totally forget my other choice.

I felt that undeniable pull. One look at her face and her expressive eyes and I was totally sold. She came into existance right there. telling me her name and what she would look like.

I had wanted her for so long. I went to the site every day to look at her. when we placed the order, I waited two months after order for her to arrive. I worried that I had made a mistake, but I loved her the minute I opened the box. Each new faceup brings her closer to perfection and she fit perfectly with our Saint. I could never part with her. I know she was the perfect first doll.

My Dream of Teen Shall, Ambrosia Stonehaven was my first doll and I still have her. She will be two years old in December!

it was my choice, but she was partly a gift from my Girlfriend. Lucky for me I got to choose the doll before it was ordered! She knows how hard it is to get a doll and not be able to bond with it.

7. My first choice for a doll was both very easy, and very difficult. I say that the doll chose me, because he was not what I was looking for. I had decided I wanted a MSD, and I wanted a girl I could dress in lolita. Then I saw Megi2 on the Junkyspot. I immediated fell in love with him, but I wanted a girl. So I tried to ignor him, I kept saying I would buy him as my second doll if I decided after purchasing my first that BJD's really were for me. But nothing else sang to me like he did. So, after I finally stopped resisting my inner creativity, the decision was already made for me. :)

8. I decided on my first doll because I wanted some thing serious, and to me; beautiful. A doll that I thought I could relate to?
      I knew The doll I wanted was the right one when I saw his expression, and how he was standing. I figured he was the right one the moment I saw his picture.
      My only wish is that I had asked for a face up option, other then that I have no regret.
      This doll I am speaking/typing of, is my very first ABJD, and I still have him.
      Yes I chose him on my own.

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was looking for a doll that fit into a 'below $300' price range, because she was going to be a Christmas present, and I didn't want my parents to have to shell out TOO much for the doll.

I kept looking at the Dollzone Shoyo pictures, and she seemed like she could fit either a child or adult character. At the time, I thought that I could switch between ANY look with her, and I never knew that dolls had their own personalities XD

I was eventually very unhappy with her. Her body was anorexically thin, her legs were too long, her nose was too pointy. I still had a VERY hard time letting her go, however, and overall, selling my first doll remains a very striking experience. I wish that I'd ordered the doll that I had been hemming and hawing about while deciding -- a Bluefairy Tinyfairy Emilie (who I didn't order because she was too expensive). However, I can't really say that I wish things had been different now, because I have a great crew of dolls that I absolutely adore, and that wouldn't've been made possible if I hadn't learned from experience and hadn't bought dolls that I didn't like.

Dollzone Shoyo. I sold her.

10. chooseing my first was omplicated... I fell in love with a dim doll http://www.dimdoll.com/shop/step1.php?number=200 and I was allready to order her, then I read a post about it being a boy...... and I was like aawww I really really want a girl... so I lookied arround for about a day and found like 6 others I loved and they were all boys, then I found DOD and made absolutely sure shall was a girl I think I wanted sha but its a boy... my delema continues. I now have my (very girlish) shall, and am looking for a cute elfish tiny...:)

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      When I discovered dolls I felt so overwhelmed that at first I didn't know which one to pick. There were so many and they were all so pretty. I must have saved about 100 doll pics to my hard drive and would sit and look through them, marveling. After awhile as I became used to how gorgeous they all were, certain dolls began to stand out to me and I narrowed down my list.

I had narrowed the choices down to two, since my husband was helping in picking them out I finally chose the one that both my husband and I liked the best.

I used to wish I had ordered my other choice first, my first doll is very nonstandard in wig, shoe and pants sizes. That made it hard to buy for him and was very frustrating sometimes. But since I got my second choice doll, I'm very glad I picked who I did to be my first as it turns out I love him best after all.

DoT Homme Ducan and yes I still have him. :aheartbea For the curious, my second choice was CP El and I have one now also. He's beautiful, but I don't love him the way I love Beren. It sounds silly to me (because I never thought I'd feel so strongly), but no other doll could ever replace my first boy and I'll never give him up.

My husband helped me pick but the final decision was mine, he also paid for the doll.

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      When a mold would catch me eye and make me go back to it repeatedly

I saw his impish, amused smile

Nope, I love how he's not too heavy, how I can sew for him, and how he can smile sweetly or glare~

DoC U, I got him recently and he's all miiineees~~

I chose him :)

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

It wasn't my idea; he chose me! I was researching BJDs because a friend of mine was crazy into them and I wanted to know what she was talking about. I clicked on one particular website, saw his face and heard him say his name and that he wanted to come home. That was it, I was in love! :D

The usual way--I found myself looking at his picture every day and thinking, "I want him...it's too much money...I want him...its a doll, for chrissakes, I don't even like dolls...I want him...I have rent to pay...I want him..." I would have bought him eventually in any case, but there was an event going on that pushed me to place that order. Finally!

Nope, never! I soon bought more dolls, and each of them is special in his/her own way, but there's something extra-special about him...

Delf Moon, and I can't imagine ever giving him up!

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I had a purpose. The reason I decided to buy a doll was because I wanted to use it as a reference when drawing. Of course I was attracted to the beauty of these dolls too and it was very hard to decide which dolls I wanted. I did extensive research before I could actually buy. the biggest factors were the age ( i wanted an older mature type ), gender ( definitely male ), the head-body proportions and posing. This narrowed my decisions to two dolls. But I liked the body of the other one better so I bought it instead. Now there are more dolls than there were before and it's so hard to find info on them, so I've lost my purpose and just buy dolls that just pulls my heart. :D

I didn't actually. It depended on the timing and circumstances, I guess. :sweat

I was very happy with my choice. The other doll that I wanted, I ordered a year later and I was very happy with him as well. :)

My first is Iplehouse Soori and I still own him. He's 2 years old. :)

Yes, I chose him myself. I dont think my parents would have been happy to give me such a thing as a present. XD;

15. Well, for me, choosing is extremely hard, apparently. It has been about 4 years since I "discovered" them and still haven't decided. Over these 4 years I would often change on what one I want to be the "chosen" one..I have even thought about making my own.

Hopefully one will just say "I'm the one you want Katie! I want to be your first BJD! Pick me!" :lol:

Sorry to anyone who has to keep reading my posts on about how I don't have a doll.

16. I've always had a 'thing' for DE Soo from Luts, I think its the shape of her face, big eyes and those ears! Being a total BJD noob I thought they were only sold on Ebay :doh (what a dumbass!) so I bid on one, lost, was devastated and settled on a DZ cherry from Moggie. I love my Hitomi but now I have my DE Soo I can see her faults, but love her all the same!

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My first doll was decided by simply researching on a bunch of dolls that caught hold of me. And then kind of put them in order of which i wanted more that looked of good quality and with a reasonable price range.

After much thought, because I'm quite picky about the whole BJD hobby because of how pricey it can get, I decided to get one that I wanted to keep for life, and keeping in consideration it may be (in case) the only doll purchase I make.

What was ideal for me in a doll was one that wasn't too muscular, yet fitted a high-classed Marshall, yet fit the model-like profile, yet still could still be j-rock-punk-visual like.

Nope. I had no doubts or regrets about the Homme Ducan I bought. Mainly because, he was a display model at the Dollism Plus 3 convention here in Hong Kong. I bought a display model instead of ordering and waiting for the package to arrive at my door months later.

Takara Kiyoshi, Homme Ducan (D.O.T. - Dream of Doll) is my first and STILL is my first XD ... haven't wanted another "affordable" doll yet. XD

No, it wasn't a present. I bought Kiyoshi at the DP3 convention with my own $5975HKD. :D <3
      And of course I was able to choose him. I was staring right at his perfection. ^o^

18. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I looked around all the companies there were at the time and finally decided on a CP/Luts doll for my first. They were affordable and easily attainable for me, and I just loved their face-ups and the over-all looks of the dolls.

When I clicked the buy button. XD No, seriously. I was torn between a CP Yder or a CP El. At the time, El was NEVER in stock and you were lucky to catch him on the site once in a blue moon. Once I was ready to buy my doll, I decided on Yder because El was out of stock. When I went to go buy him though, El was suddenly in stock, and I was thrown into a small dilemma. In the end I decided on my Yder and he ended up being my first doll.

I don't know if I could have chosen a more perfect doll to be my first. Even after 3 years I'm still head-over-heels in love with him and couldn't imagine not having him. There were times when I was a bit unsure about keeping him because he's hard to place with other dolls, but in the end I'm 100% happy I chose him for my first.

CP Yder, and yes. I think I'd get strangled if I ever tried to sell him, so he'll be with me a good long time.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well I fell in love with a luts doll but turns out it was a limited addition or they never restocked. I'm glad they didn't! because I got to find an even better doll. I was looking at the luts website again and found one that I kinda liked. Then my friend showed me dream of doll. It took me a while but the one I like Luke ver 2 I think o.O was similar to a luts doll but I liked him better. Thus I started saving.

I guess I thought about it for a few days I knew right away but wanted to be sure. I wasn't keen on a "big" a doll like 70cm's but he was a big doll and I didn't care I actaully like him better like that. He had to look right I am very picky about sculps and he looked perfect to me.

Not really. He's kinda the only one I would have for myself. I don't tend to like dolls much infact it is surprising I like BJD's so I like to think he's an exception to my own rule.

Theo is my first and maybe only doll. But I don't really own him :sweat he tends to do what he wants! But he is still here XD

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I actually wanted to buy SD Megu, but this girl was not available at this time. I searched a while and then I found this small cute doll and I totally fell in love with her.

It took a few days until I've decided to buy her. But I've actually know that I want to have her in the first moment I've seen her.

No, never.

It's Serendipity Alice and yes, she still lives with me.