1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?
      Carina was easy. As soon as I saw her Type A faceup I knew I wanted her. Arvid was harder, but not terribly difficult. I was deciding between him and Chase and I chose Arvid.

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I narrowed it down to two and then asked my friends. Not because I wanted to pick the doll they liked the best, but hearing others' opinions often times helps my own surface. One of my friends said Arvid and I just was like, "Yeaaaaaaaaah, he's the one :3"

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      I've wanted an Iplehouse doll for years, I finally got the money to buy the dolls, and I realized these two were the ones. I guess my doll-purchasing planets just magically aligned and I got him

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Umm I don't actually have my dolls at home yet >>. BUT I am very happy with them and I get more excited for them to arrive every day. I only wish I had found out about the custom doll service earlier so I could have gotten Arvid in special real skin :C

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      Iplehouse Arvid and Carina (bought them both at the same time). Uh... I don't have them yet, but I've payed for both of them in full so, I guess I still own them? Lol technicalities...

2. For me it was love at first sight:D but it took me a long time to actually buy it since BJD is not cheap.

3. I did have several dolls that I was interested in but I was undecided that I keep changing my mind over and over again, and then finally I found my Muse ^^ and ordered her a few days after : D.

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I first learned baout BJD's through friend on gaia who had them and I got curious and did a search on them. I learned about Luts first and thought the Kid delfs were adorable and then learned there were more grown up ones. I kenw I wanted one,but then I saw a picture of a doll at BJDCollectasy and thought she was gorgeous. I went to the website where they showed her and instantly was like I must get her.

As soon a I saw her picture right before she was released.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      No. I have extremely happy with my choice and do not regret getting her at all. I do wish I could have orderd her a male companion at the same time,but I still on getting him eventually. My first doll is a Infiniti Doll SID13 Daffodil and yes.. I just got her last week XD

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      yes I was able to choose. In a way yes. My husband agreed she would be a everything gift(christmas,birthday,mother's day and ect..)

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I saw a doll in person ans fell in love so I bought her. A BW Lishe

When I saw her. She was beautiful. I was luck to go to a doll meet and see a number in person.

Not at all. She was gorgeous. I owned her for years

No, unfortunately. I sold her a number of years ago. But she is a standard edition and I can buy another. And I would unhesitatingly recommend her to others.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      We didn't - she decided for us!
      About ten minutes after we saw her at a doll sgow
      We adore her and we've never been sorry that we brought her home.
      We'd never get rid of Halo, she's part of the family!

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      danny choo converted me lol; wanted a dollfie dream because of the internal skeleton system. i used to collect figmas, so at least with a DD i would know what i'm doing and not mess things up. i ended up picking DD alna and got her off ebay

last year i saw this post http://www.figure.fm/cgm/ecommerce/...84a83b278f300100f357307e6ceb95.jpg?1273678664
      DD Alna. that's it, i made up my mind just like that. she looks anime-ish but not like incredibly big-eyed that made her look unreal or anything. her smile is very mature and that's why i picked her.

i wanted DD Fate as my first, but she was so expensive i couldn't afford her. then i considered getting a MDD but i'd have to order of yahoo auctions and it was too confusing. i ended up sticking with alna but i did have regrets, mainly 'cause i realized i could've negotiated with the seller for a better price. but it doesn't realy matter now, i still have alna with me

8. I fell in love with the B&G Hera at first sight (at the mere innocent age of 12)! I'm not un-happy with my choice, but compared to all my new dolls, she just isn't fitting in. I'll most likely keep her until I'm absolutely, 100% positive I want to sell her. c:

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      for some reason, I fell in love HARD with CP woosoo. it was clear I had to buy him. but the head alone was way to expensive for me back then! but very soon I found fairyland, who OH MIRACLE happened to sell MNF woosoo! WOW the doll I want so bad but smaller and less expensive (it always kind of bothered me he was MSD but I now find MNF woosoo 10000000x better than the big one! his body is far better and I also like his face more....even though they're very alike. still a little difference xD)

as I said, I just loved woosoo too much and the MNF ver was in my price range :) I knew it maybe one month after joining DoA. at first I wanted a juri 05 because woosoo was too expensive but changed my mind when I found the minifees

NO WAY! I still have him (sorta, waiting for his new body.....screwed up the first one :sweat ) he is my baby, my favourite, the most amazing I ever had! :) and so cute x3

do you still own it?
      yes. and never gonna sell him! and never bonded with a doll exept him :)

I paid for him. It took me veeeeeeeeeeeeeeery long to be able to pay him as I didn't have a job. only a small allowance of 8$/week. plus my b-day and x-mas money that I saved.

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was very hard to decide which doll should be my first since I was basing him off an OC. I was just looking at faces mostly to see which one was very close to the face.
      It was a tie between two dolls, but I went with DOT Camine from Dream of Doll.
      Can't say I'm unhappy now. I haven't received him yet, but I'm satisfied so far. :3
      DOT Camine from Dream of Doll. :3

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      After searching all doll sites I could possibly find, I narrowed my choices on a piece of paper. As you know there is a whole variety of dolls styles; cute, realistic, Gothic, etc. I wrote down the styles I favored the most; Gothic, Victorian, and realistic. With that combination I look at the sites that had more realistic sculpts in good quality from eyes, lips, nose, body structure etc. Then I decided on a male doll as my first, since I seem to drift to male dolls more than female. I've never had a male doll in my life, and I thought it was time!
      I knew after repeated research he was the one. I had to settle with one, or else I wouldn't be getting one. I am one of those people who favored them all, but I can't have them all, you have to remind yourself.
      No, I wasn't not content with my decision. Actually, once you receive your doll it almost feels surreal, and it doesn't matter what your choice was... It's your first doll, and that is the exciting part!
      He's a Crobidoll. :) And yes of course, I will keep him forever.

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present? No.

12. For my first ever doll I wasn't ready to spend loads of money on her, so yeah, I chose Resinsoul because they are relatively cheap. I knew I wanted a girl and I almost immediately fell in love with Mei, as did so many other people around here :) The only thing I was unsure about was her skin colour, but I'm very happy with it now. For a first doll she is great and I still have her and enjoy her very much, however, as I was new to the hobby I had no idea aboput double joints and all that, and posing her is kind of a pain. I wish I had chosen a better body, but, I can always get more dolls :)
      It's wonderful to have a cheap doll as a first to get to know ball jointed dolls and try things out without having to worry too much about breaking something hideously expensive XD

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I saw some pics of BJD on the internet, but never want my own one.
      One day, I saw a group of BJDs at window display in a toy shop. That was the first time I have seen them in person . The shop owner told me that these are Lati yellow and Lati yellow SP. They are so lovely so I asked them for the price.
      The shop owner told me that this is her personal collection, it's not for sale!
      However, I have already fallen in love with them so I came back home and found out more information from the internet.

When I got my salary in that month, I suddenly order them. I had to wait for my salary because on that time I didn't have my own paypal so I had to use my friend's paypal and paid her a cash.

No, I didn't. I really love him even I didn't like his makeup. It was too pale.

Finally, I chose Lati Yellow SP Miel for my first and yes, I still own him :D

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I actually wasn't at all interested in owning a BJD until I saw the Shoyo-2 sculpt. Then I went from "Like I'd ever buy one of those expensive dolls..." to "Well, if I *did* get one, it'd be her..." to posting box-opening pics a few months later. ^^; I loved her big eyes and how cute/happy she looked. :D

Not at all! :) I still have her and she has since been joined by three more. ;)

15. I found out about the dolls in 2007 but did not purchase my first doll until 2009. I spent 2 years doing research, trying to decide if I could 'justify' the cost. Eventually, I found out that a very good friend of mine was also interested in the dolls and he directed me to a few websites of the dolls that he wanted to own/did own. From there, I carefully began to inspect the different molds, consulting with other 'doll people' and playing with/handling various sculpts. I eventually settled on a BuddyDoll Mars to be my first purchase. Although he was technically my first doll bought, the first doll that came home to me was a blank hooved Heliot, purchased later but second-hand, so with faster shipping. I still have both dolls and have never regretted the purchases. I love them, but I'm glad I spent such a long time making up my mind. It gave me a good idea of what kinds of sculpts and 'personalities' I liked before I spent any money.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

Well I just thought really really hard and I found and I found the one that just clicked with me!

...When I looked into it's eyes? :p

Not at all!

Resinsoul bei

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It wasn't so much a decision as a "MUST HAVE" moment XD

Looking at the company's website, his picture stuck out, so I clicked it and fell in love <3

Not at all! I love my Ichabod ^^ I definitely do not wish I'd gotten a different doll. I can always save up and buy whatever other sculpts I like later, but if I'd waited to get Ichabod, I don't think he'd be the same somehow.

Dream of Doll/Child Si, and yes. He's sitting here with me now :)

Yes and yes XD I picked the sculpt using the company pics, then found him on the MP and my parents bought him for me as an early birthday present <3

18. I did not choose my first doll, she chose me. :) I did originally want the first BJD's on the market, Volks. I also looked at all dolls and was a Volks fan from the get-go. I fell in love with a Volks Nana. She stole my heart! One thing I love about Volks dolls. Doing research and seeing all the beautiful face-ups, they show many different faces. Also, I noticed many sites that sell BJD things, use her as their display model. She is very popular. A lovely doll indeed.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Love at first site! I saw him and even when I looked some more, I always came back.

I knew he would've been my first when I didn't have any dollies yet. I liked him the best ergo he shall be the first!

I was happy with his sculpt. Though a bit unhappy with the quality he came in. But when I see the smile I asked their face up artist to make for him, I immediately forget about the imperfect resin.

My first was a DoD Homme Ducan. Definitely still have him!

Chose it! I guess he's a late graduation present to myself? Haha

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      1) Size - Well it had to be an SD-sized doll. I wanted something taller because it makes sewing costumes for it easier. It is tricky enough sewing for yourself... and then to have to make it mini-sized? Forget it! The bigger the better.
      2) Money - When I was in research mode I really swayed back and forth from lower-cost dolls to the higher-end ones. No matter what SD sized dolls are expensive and I figured if I was already spending a couple hundred dollars, what was another couple hundred? :lol:
      3) Posing - I wanted a doll that was really good at holding her weight. With all the costume plans (hoops, corsets, etc.) I needed a "sturdy" doll.

The cast... the new Feeple bodies are hot and I'm not interested in the really lanky BJDs. And Chloe's face is so cute too! I guess I'm a sucker for good reviews and CP seems to be in abundance of them.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?This doesn't really apply to me since my doll isn't even here yet! However I do not have any plans to get any other female. I keep looking at her pics here and Flickr and Google and I'm still totally loving her. Once again the doll is the prop, the costumes is what I really want to make. *squirms* I hope that doesn't upset the die-hard collectors because I'm not getting into the hobby to have lots of dollies. Although I can say that I'm surprised I even decided to get a PukiPuki and now I want a male BJD? Gosh... maybe I will be a collector. :P

CP Feeple65 Chloe and PukiPuki Cupid still in processing... Like I said. I have no plans to return her or sell her or exchange her. Come yellow resin and all.

Extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      Yes I chose it myself. One of the perks of working FT and being an adult. ^_^