1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. well im still loking for my first one,
      im pretty sure that im going to get a lu-wen
      umm..i think he was the third doll i looked at
      but that was ahwile ago but he still strongly apeals to me =]

well i hope that im not going to have regrets about getting him
      becuase ive been carfully looking for the right doll for ahwile
      and i wouldnt want all that time to go to waist just to be dissapointed about that
      and i hope to have him for a long time =]

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My first doll was actually a gift to me from my boyfriend, so I didn't get to make the decision myself.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      I consider my first doll being the one I purchased myself. I had originally missed out on it at the time, it was then discontinued shortly after. I knew it would have to be my first when my heart kept yearning for it. There were also other dolls I had wanted at the time but I kept putting them off until I finally managed bring my holy grail doll home.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      I was never in the least bit happy with my choices, I loved that doll so much, and I'll keep on loving it forever.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?
      The first doll which was given to me as a gift was a Volks SD10 Oldskin Rio, the first doll I purchased myself was a Volks SD13 Oldskin F-28.

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      Yes, my first doll was a present, but sometimes I don't consider it as my first doll being the fact that I didn't purchase it myself.

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

I wanted to make dolls and needed one as a model to look at. The B&G Hera had a good price so I ordered it.

I was spontaneous.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

No. But I bought 3 other dolls in the next few days.

I haven't gotten in yet. But seeing as I never get rid of anything, I'll probably own it forever.

4. The first big one is 2 1/2 and the first resin will be 2 this year and they're going nowhere.

My latest resin was close to being my first resin only I couldn't find any US sellers that had him, so after much character soul searching I decided on Xavier. The search was on for the right face in white. When I first saw a factory Dollzone Fei I was quite dissapointed, he almost became a vampire head. It was only the vampire teeth, still might get one, and want for a more adaptable doll that got me off that. Finally I saw a blank Fei and the possibilities. It also helped that sleepy eye dolls were the new thing then and that he was a mini and different scale from the first one. He was supposed to be the one and only, but 5 more resins later...

5. I first fell in love with the DoT Lahoo :3 DoD was the first site I was ever on...but then I stumbled across TensiYa (most literally), and fell head over heels in love with the WS Hound. I knew then and there that I HAD to have him!!!

Needless to say with all of Dollshes revamping and what not...I kinda wish I had bought Husky, or waited out a bit longer for a Bermman...since I obviously will only be able to get a Bermman secondhand, and at this rate, same for a Huksy...I almost got a Husky first off...but the Hounds kept calling me back to them...

So SeNii is my darling Whiteskin Hound bought right here in the market, he's my only doll--so far--and I love him to bits. I'll never sell my precious boy. He is my dream doll afterall~

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I wanted a boy. I knew that much. I had fallen hard into the BJD world and was dying for a big boy. When I came upon DoD I instantly fell in love with their dolls. From there it was a hard choice. I was looking for a innocent face with a intriguing smile. It was a hard choice between Sha and Paris.

I had to think about it long and hard and when I did I knew that Sha had to be the one. He was younger looking and very angelic with that still very mischievous look that I wanted.

Sometimes i wish that I would have ordered another one, but then when I look at my Aden and hold him I know that I would never trade him for the world right now ^^

7. Insane...that's all I can say.
      I am no interested in the girl dolls...none what so ever. So that narrowed my search down...quite a bit. The problem was all the other boy dolls that I just absolutely loved. When looking at them I tried to narrow it down from the ones that I just thought were cute to the ones that I really really liked. Also price was a big factor...because I'm not the richest person, I had to be careful for price. So immediately the ones that I liked that were near 700 dollars were out of the question. I did find one that I was interested in, but again he was just to expensive. But...fortunately I found one on here with a help of a friend and comepletey in love. So it was hectic actually trying to get to this point where I think I have made a complete decision with a good price. I am happy with what I've found, and I thank my friend very much for the help. Couldn't have done it without her.
      For the record...I've only liked the dolls for three days...I can only imagine what others go through who wait months for their first doll...

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was actually kind of hard because the doll I ordered first wasn't my first doll :sweat but we'll go with technical terms and say my DollZone Fei was my first *_* I decided on him because I loved his sad little face. He needed love!:D

When I ordered him :sweat j/k Naw I fell in love with his pouty little face :)

Shocked, yes. Unhappy? NEVER! :D I admit when I got him he looked nothing like what I expected, but in a way he was better than I expected. :aheartbea

Well my DollZone Hid I got first BUT I ordered my DollZone Fei first :sweat and I still have both of them.

That's kind of why my DZ Fei got here after the second doll I ordered :( at the time I ordered him he was oddly out of stock everywhere! So I had to Pre-Order him from FeatherFall and wait a while *_*

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, I wanted a BJD of my OC, so I just had to find the one that matched him best P:

I was caught between DoD's Sha and Camine XD Both had a sort of snarky, mischeivous look to them, but I decided that Sha looked too young for the character I had in mind. After I was poking around DoD's wigs, though, I noticed that the doll in the wig I needed was Camine; and I thought he looked perfect o3o Camine for meeee~

Nope n3n

DoD's Camine :) I haven't gotten him yet (almost on week two of waiting!), and I can't imagine ever selling him D8

10. At least you go him though right?? That was to the person above you...guess I took awhile in replying.

I wish I would get a doll as a present...but then again maybe not. Once you've seen the dolls and are interested in them. It's kind of only something you can do you know? You find that doll that you like online, and you fall in love with it. I think there has to be some sort of connection before you can go and buy it. If it's not there...then you look for another one. I don't think it would be the same if somebody was to get one for you and just give it to you. They would have to let me pick one out. That's probably the only way I would except it...

11. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was interested for a while and suddenly there was one available nearby.

The fact that I could see and touch her, before actually buying her helped a lot!

No, I bought others after her, but she's still my great love.

Dollzone, NS Binli. Yes and I hope for a long time to come.

Yes, when I was there it was my choice. No, she wasn't a present I bought her myself.

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

Well as I began to enter the hobby(I'm still new I only have ONE doll D=) I decided to try and find a doll that wasn't really expensive but still good experience and a mold that I liked.

While going through Junky spot I saw the AOD chi and pretty much just fell in love and was like "I MUST HAVE HIM!" and what made the deal solid was that he wasn't likee 500 dollars.

Heavens no! I love My Azazel :). He isn't a vampire anymore like the mold was intended for but I still love him dearly, I wouldn't change it for the world. I'm in the process of saving for another doll, but I know he'll always be special.

Angel of Dream Chi. Yuppers I still have him :)

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, probably like a lot of other people, I spent a long time looking at molds thinking, "Ooh, he's nice. And so is he. And so is he. Ooh, I like him," etc. ... until I came across DollGa and their girls. And wept over how beautiful Noella was. (And surprised myself by wanting a girl!) Couldn't stop thinking about her. I was out shopping at Sainsbury's when her backstory and a kind of image of her came flooding to me, and I couldn't hold off any longer!

Like, when my next paycheck came rolling in. Late. (Weep).

No. I adore her. I adore her even more now I'm trying to get the "look" I'd originally had in mind for her.

Yeah I still own her! (DollGa Noella) I've only had her since June 16, haha!

Lol, I wish XD

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, that's kinda funny, that. The first time I saw an ABJD was in a doll magazine. It had a bride theme going on and an article about ABJD brides, which feature Jay's beautiful Shall. It was love at first sight. I did my research about ABJDs and looked at the different sulpts and stuff. I found myself still in love with Shall, however. Thank you, Jay. :)

After doing lots of research and looking at other dolls. I couldn't find a face I loved more than Shall's.

I am very happy with Terren. There have been times when companies have put out new dolls that I have thought might have suited her character, but Shall's face suits Terren perfect.

DoT Shall and I don't think I would ever get rid of her.

Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      I got her after my high school graduation. I spent the money I received from family and friends, and the gap that was left over, my father was kind enough to fill. So, in a way, it was a gift from many people--and myself!

Kirsten

15. Well, it wasn't much of a choice realy. I bought my KD Bory of my friend who was going to buy another one and needed money to buy it (I was realy happy that I could buy it :) ) So I knew what I was buing, I had seen the doll several times before :3 And so far, I've never regretted that I bought her :)

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I have been searching for about a half of a year now for the "perfect" doll. It changed quite a bit- I am a picky person. (I guess this is a good thing in the wonderful world of BJD's)

I saw her, and was like 'This is it. This is her'
      It was instant <3 I think someone hit me on the head with a coconut. ><
      I am naturally a selfish being, as most of us are, but I'll love her soo very much. :D
      Sad thing is, i am still saving up. Once I make up my mind, there is no going back for me.

Having low vision does NOT help- paying for some things I need... >< (Stupid reading glasses! Why should I use reading glasses when I already HAVE glasses???)

17. I don't have my first doll yet, but I'm already settled on which one I want. =)

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      When I got to see some dolls in person I decided that I didn't want a big one, what I wanted was more in the Yo-SD size, so that helped me narrow it down a bit. After I decided that I just looked around at a bunch of different sites for ones that I liked and then I instantly fell in love with Libra from D.O.D. :D After thinking about it awhile I looked into the gallery to make sure it didn't just look good in its default look and after seeing that there could be some diversity and it would still work I knew it was the one.

When I saw it and it had the perfect face for what I was looking for. It's eyes aren't too far apart, it's mouth is cute, it's face is a bit more angular than the normal Yo-SD. It was exactly what I wanted.

18. Well so far it has been pretty hard. *_* I still don't know witch one I want fully.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I decided that I couldn't live without DZ Megi because I loved his mouth and he looked like my comic book character Saif. Kinda weird, all my other dollie harebrained schemes involved basing my dolls on characters of mine, but Saif really struck a chord or something.

@_@ Umm... I think I picked Saif around when I ended up deciding to get a MSD instead of an SD

Nope! I love Saif. I'm really glad I talked myself out of a SD. Saif already feels pretty big!

DZ Megi-2 tanned. I still have him. He's my only doll at the moment.

20. The very first dollfie I ever saw was the Taisho Megu from Volks [this was back when dollfies were only available through importing via shopping service or direct trips to Japan] and she looked exactly like the Doll Shinma from Vampire Miyu [which was an Ova I was really into at the time]. It was instant love and I knew that I wanted her 100% The choice to get that particular head mold was easy, the actually acquiring was what took the time.

It took me a few years before I managed to get ahold of the version available [new makeup Megu at the time, just before Pureskins came out] but I did manage it [it took a vacation check sacrifice -haha] and have never regretted buying her once.