1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. At first it seemed to me that I'd never find the right doll because there were so many out there. After looking at umteen doll sites I learned that it would be a slower process than walking into a store and saying, "Oh, that one!" For the price of these guys and so on, impulsiveness like that just wouldn't do. I started following the dolls and figures section of dA very closely, taking each doll I liked and making a list of their pros and cons. After a while, I saw a picture of a beautiful Lati Red M. The doll fit all my criteria, for the most part, but still didn't scream "FIRST DOLL, RIGHT HERE!" I continued to look around Lati's site because I like the more realistic faces, and I was brought to the LE page. It was then that I saw Aida, the one doll that had everything I was looking for except height. I had originally dreamed of a 70cm doll, but after some time with a measuring tape, I came to the realization that there wasn't that much of a difference to warrant tossing out the idea of taking Aida. He suggested, in the polite little way he does, that he was what I was after, and after a week or two of thought, I decided to act. I have yet to regret it, wonky knees and all.

2. I don't own a doll yet, but I've fallen in love with cherishdoll's Beau. I was searching for smaller dolls to fit a character I came up with and she was just perfect. I was originally planing on getting a bigger doll first, it would have been Lati's Red L. But I just don't get the same tingly feeling with him. I've done research on maintaining them and I think I'm ready to care for one. I don't know.... L isn't even available right now... meh

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I actually saw a photo of him on the website and the next day, I bought him, without a plan really. I just knew I wanted him

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?

I just... knew! He had this amazing style that I hadn't seen around before.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Nope! He's even more stunning in person and I really enjoy him

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

My first was a B&G Elf- Afra and if course I still own him!

4. I just ordered my first doll! I honestly thought my first would be a 60cm Obitsu. It's not! It's a Bobobie and I utterly didn't like those dolls the first million times I saw em. But I finally actually looked at March and I fell hard for her. Cute lil girl! She's not too small, cute, not tooo expensive(which was a plus more then a reason to get her) and oi. Just wuv. I blame the owner pics to be honest.

and JSpot. I saw their pics of her in grey and just. Died. I had to have her then. Just knew she was perfect.

And uh. Since I don't have her yet thats all I can actually answer but my mom loves her too. She's actually gonna be the one to name the lil girl. My mother does not love her enough to get one of her own but I'm sure there will be plenty of random outfits made/helped on not to mention hair and being randomly redressed in something my mother prefers.

The boys been talking to the cat about how they'll bond while they're left out in this frenzy. I'd feel bad if I left the cat out I can't do that! XDD

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? Well, I knew which character I wanted him to be and I looked at a bunch of different dolls and found a lot I liked. When I saw the Dimo on Soom's site he looked like the perfect sculpt for my boy and I instantly fell in love with him. I had to stare at him for a few months before I decided it was so worth the money and to buy him.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first? I knew when I saw him, but I was in denial because at first I said I wouldn't pay a few hundred dollars for a doll. I gave up on denying it after a while and went for him.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? When I ordered him I got a bit nervous about how I'd actually like the mold when it got home even though I loved it from the pictures. Once I got him I knew I'd made the right choice though. :)

Which doll was your first and do you still own it? Aquarius, my Soom Dimo, was my first and yes I do still own him (since I've only had him since about May).

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      The choice was totally mine. The only part of my doll that's been a present was that my parents helped me finish paying for his body as a birthday present.

6. When I get in this world for first time I was interested in looking information about all the possible models, shops, looking customizations of people of the same model, etc. Once I got enough info, I get my first doll. I didn't dare to buy a SD sized doll thinking it was too big, so I decided for a MSD sized one.

I finally get an U of Dream of Doll because I loved it at first sight. I got it at home at on 28th of May, so is quite new and this shows how much I have been in this hobby. I have to say that I spent a lot of month before I decided to buy my doll.

When I decided to buy it I spend a lot of time saving money and trying to get money from everywhere. I didn't work and it was difficult to me to pay so much money.

I have to say that I still love it, I'm very proud of getting it, he's my little boy!!

7. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      The new Shoyo from DZ....SHE HAS CAT AND RABBIT EARS!!!!

Ummmm, about once the Mo's went out of stock and a week after that I saw her and I was like: WANT WANT WANT WANT

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      Not at all. :) I kind of want the Mo model now but I still have money left so I'll order him after I'm all set for this year of school.

Ren, a DollZone Shoyo-3 Catgirl. Yes, she's been here for about one or two weeks and I don't think I'll ever sell her. :D

It was a present from my grandmother on my father's side with the money....four years after, my mother's mother, and my caretaker decided if I really wanted a BJD I could use the money. :)

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      When I first found the Serendipity Sharmin, I wasn't in the market for a doll. However, I just saw her face and knew that she had to be the one. I knew nothing about ABJD; I wasn't even on DoA >< I just knew that I needed that girl.

No! My girl is has the oldest body in the world; as a result, I am considered lucky to even get her to stand! However, I would never change any part of her for anything. I am still ridiculously happy that I got her.

Serendipity Sharmin; I do still own her (she is actually my favorite!)

9. When I first got into the hobby, I really wanted a Dollmore Torrie. I was in love with her. Id look at dozens of pictures of her and obsess over what clothes I would get... but over the months, my taste changed. I found myself liking Torrie less and less and less... and then it'd get to the point where i noticed all of the flaws in her sculpt and they drove me crazy. Now, the money I was going to spend on Torrie is going to be spent on Seola. I couldn't be any happier with my decision, and I'm glad I didnt stick with torrie just because she was my first love. :aheartbea

It took me a very long time to save up the money. I'm a minor and don't have a job, so I had to earn it doing housework and favors for other people. Im sure it will be worth it!

10. When I got into BJDs the first doll I saw was a limited edition doll, and I looked at it every day and watched it get sold out. Now I'm saving for the same mold, except he's not whiteskin (I prefer the rosy color anyway). I've always thought other dolls were pretty, but the Bluefairy TF Louis is the only doll I really ever wanted to own (and I'm almost there!!)

11. the choice wasn't hard at all.

How did you decide which doll should be your first?
      when i began thinking about purchasing a bjd, there was only one that i wanted because i thought i would only own one, and that one bjd had jumped out at me immediately and begged to be brought home XD
      i really liked shiwoo and there was just something about his expression that had roped me in.

again, it was pretty much instant. i couldn't resist that devilish little face. the fact that luts offered layaway was the only extra factor that helped me make the final decision to buy him.

not at all.

shiwoo, and i still own him. he still makes me smile and i'm very happy to own him.

Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      definitely not a present! there's no one i could talk into buying me a bjd. i was able to choose him because i had a steady income and could save up for him and make my layway payments on time. haha

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? / And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      To start the first ABJD I saw was CP Breakaway. And then while roaming on their site, I fell in love with their CP EL; but sadly I noticed that El's are pretty popular. Don't get me wrong I didn't just cast my lust for him away. :(..my El baby... but I did have a growing interest in Luts Chun Gong limited Moon edition. And I didn't even notice how gorgeous he was in his regular delf photos, they no do him justice:eusa_naug. Poor boy had finally got my attention, and so I bought him.

Truthfully, yes I have, but not entirely..i think. It was after he first came. It was because I was so scared of how we would bond, because you should never want to sell your FIRSt bjd. I was scared about if he would become boring to me, or what if I don't have time to play with him...This was my unhappy, doubtful, totally-WRONG of me syndrome. But it has passed, because now he has his faceup and everything..plus I love him to death.

Of COURSE, I still have him; My Delf Moon, Cid. I am planning to get more dolls later, but he his my ONLY doll at the moment. My spoiled little Prince...hehe.

This was so refreshing for me to say..:D

13. It wasn't difficult for me at all. I came into the hobby already having been a doll collector for a few years and I really had no intention of getting a BJD. I didn't even like them. I was helping a friend who was looking to purchase their first BJD when I saw my dream doll and that was it.

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Again, I didn't decide or choose her. She choose me:) I saw her and knew that was my dream doll.

The moment I saw her. Plus it helped that she just so happened to show up on ebay at a price that was 1/2 what she was being offered for at the only two doll shops that still had her. She was a LE of 10 so I knew it was meant to be.

When I first took her out of the box, I had never seen a BJD in person before. One of the two shops that still had her just happened to be a local shop. I went there to see what she looked like, but they wouldn't let me take her out of the box or even take the tons of layers of bubble wrap off. So I was thinking a BJD was more like porcelain. Because of this, I was really disappointed when I first took her out and almost started to cry because I had spent so much money on this. The disappointment wasn't really with her, it was with a BJD. However, after setting her by my computer for a couple of days, I got used to her and now I do love her and BJDs

The Haute Doll LE Choa and yes, she is still here:) Choas are my favorite dolls.

She was a present for my 40th birthday last year, but I did choose her. Just had to get DH's okay to spend that much, lol!

14. I only have one doll, and she hasn't even come in yet.

It wasn't very hard to choose her though. I have a low budget, but I didn't want to buy a cheaply made doll, or a doll that I thought lacked beauty because of it.

So, I bought a puki. The pipi mold, to be exact.

I had played with Ambs many a time, and it just clicked. This is what I want my first doll to be. It's cute, small, and a good financial ease into the world, without sacrificing all that I've come to feel is important in this hobby.

Will she be my favorite after I save up enough for my Soom Mini gem Aren? Probably not. But will she always be special to me? Hells yeah. She hasn't even come in yet, and I've been designing clothes and searching for the perfect wig. I'm planning her silly. And yet, if she comes in, and I feel nothing I've planned is right for her, it will all go out the window, and I wont care, cause I just LOVE her so fecking much.

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I had this character in mind already months after I've entered the hobby and this character has lingered on longer than the rest that surfaced.. heck I was drawing her out on numerous pieces of papers..

Over time the character evolved, and I did somehow manage to find a mold suitable for her. I had in mind a few key features, so it'd be easier to find a possible mold/sculpt. Sultry, sensual. Those were the words that led me to choose dreaming sculpts..Naturally the sexy-squinty look stole my heart. :aheartbea

So basically a lot of preliminary planning was made before I made the dive..

When I was looking through owner pictures, I started to rethink another way to translate 'sultry, sensual' other than squinty eyes, and eventually the character developed into a face with relaxed,opened mouth. So naturally, my gut instinct was CP's Breakaway. Squinty, opened mouth. Perfect.

Plus CP's my fav sculptors :aheartbea

No, no regrets at all..
      I think this comes a lot through making sure you really want it, mulling over it, looking at other molds even after you've decided (like a last look at the rest before you settle), mulling some more, and then convincing yourself when it's time.

I guess planning plays a role as well, but I could be wrong..(?)

My girl, Opium (CP SS-mod Breakaway)
      No regrets, I went literally through hell to get her, and even if (hoping I'm not jinxing it) it somehow falls out, I'll still keep her. Now she's more than a doll to me, she's a victory trophy. She has sentimental value attached to her now. Damn proud of the opportunity to own her.

Yes, it was entirely my decision and nope. Not present.
      Was own effort, so blood, sweat and tears. The whole nine yards.

16. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I just felt around for what I liked. Fortunately, money didn't pose that much of an issue since my doll was a gift from my sister, but I still needed to find a doll I responded to that didn't dent her pocketbook too much. It took a long time and quite a bit of elimination of candidates, though.

Quite simply, she was the closest to what I had in mind. Now, no doll could ever capture what I envisioned for Yewellyn, but I thought that E-an, with a little bit of work, could be Yewellyn embodied. Plus, seeing a bunch of owner photos gave me the last push I needed because I was sure that the doll really looked like what was being shown on the website, and how versatile the doll could be when it came to customizing her looks, but still retaining that E-an charm.

Sometimes I wonder what owning a Soony would of been like, but I'm happy with an E-an especially since her arms are so posable.

Still on my first, and most likely my only.

See question 1

17. I've loved reading all your stories about the decisions that led to your for doll purchase. Here's my story:

While Lishe was my first doll, she was an impulse buy and I sold her because of the guilt of spending so much money. She was not my first love, however. I have my first love for a BJD on order right now and she will be arriving in September.

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was a post from Ponygery where she had taken a pic of all her dolls. Amongst the 100 dolls that must have been there I spotted an Elfdoll Soah and it was love at frist sight. :love She was sooo pretty and I new one day I would have her

When I couldn't stop thinking about her for 2 years.

Oh I wish I didn't order Lishe first, but I KNOW Soah will be with me for life.

Lishe was first and I do not own her anymore, but in her place I'm getting a doll that I think is the most beautiful of any I've ever seen.

18. My first was a tan CP EL. I chose him because the first BJD I ever saw was an EL. I looked around & found that, with few exceptions, EL was the mold that drew my attention the most. I got a tan one partially so that he wouldn't look absolutely like the first one I'd seen, & partially because when I saw him for sale I liked the look of the skin tint.

Honestly, I figured he should be my first because after looking around I kept drifting back to the CP site to stare at the EL mold. :sigh

If anything has gone screwy with my tan EL it has been the fact that I've been so dumb about finding out about sueding him - now that I know he won't get hurt by the low temp hot glue I got, I have no irrational fear of hurting him. :3nodding:

Yes I still own my Tan CP EL - who I named "Tai" - & he is still very special to me after being home almost 2 years now.

I was able to choose him, as I bought him off of Ebay! :)

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? I was not thinking about &#8220;the first&#8221; but &#8220;the lonely&#8221; (funny isn&#8217;t it?). When I discovered the world of BJD, I was fascinated by elves dolls but I got the idea that they was all sold out. So finally I bought a doll I found not-so-bad despite it was not an elf. Soon after I found an elf and I bought him. So until I found a proper name for them, I got the idea of &#8220;Aragorn&#8221; and &#8220;Legolas&#8221; ^^

And when did you know that this doll should be your first? As soon as I saw him on ebay: click, click

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? As I was thinking of buying a unique doll but an elf, yes I had regrets&#8230; but not a long time! I have now 20 BJD at home and I think he is still the most beautiful. His face has a great personality and his body is the most beautiful I have seen in the world of BJD (sorry, for my taste^^)

Which doll was your first and do you still own it? Jace of UNIDOLL. I have still him and I probably never sell him

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present? I chose alone and for myself&#8230; and paid the same way^^

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? Interestingly enough, I was actually lookng at lolita dresses when I discovered BJDs. I think I looked at many brands and thinking they were too expensive before randomly coming across the DZ Hid.

And when did you know that this doll should be your first? The first time I saw him I gasped and went "I absolutely must have him!"

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? Only during the waiting process, but that was because I wantedhim toget here quicker.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it? DZ Hid, and whay would I get rid of something (rather, someone) I have become so attached to? I really love him too much to think about getting rid of him!

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present? Yes to both. He was a birthday present (or at least I ordered him after my birthday with the money I got. Didn't actually come until two months later :sweat)