1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Choosing your first doll - How hard was it for you?

Jul 28, 2008

1. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? And when did you know that this doll should be your first? Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

Okay cause I can answer both in one thing. My first doll was a last minute thing. I found her and fell in love with her so fast I still wasn't sure if I'd be happy with her long term. The main reason I bought her so fast was I had finally be able to talk my mom into buying me and saying it was a college graduation present. So while yes she was a present, I got to choose.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

Oh lord no. I'm still happy with her and she just recently turned 1. I would never have ordered another one cause Rhiannon has withstood me being a newb owner and putting up with so much abuse, I'm amazed she's still in like new conidition minus one tiny area on her face up to prove she's been around.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

First doll and she's still home, DZ Shoyo with the JS default face up.

2. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was a love at first sight thing. I was just searching around and then I saw AA Ling and was "OMG I WANT! D=" He changed characters once but I'm very happy with him. :)

And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      The first time I saw the pictures on Divinity Doll.

Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?
      I'm very happy with him. He's currently my only doll, I've had him for about a week and I love him to death.

Abio Angel Ling. As I said he is currently my ownly doll and he is sitting right next to me now. :lol:

3. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      When I first learned about BJD, I wanted one so badly I couldn't sleep at night. xD
      One day, when I had stayed home from school sick, I was browsing on DoA and I saw an ad for Junkyspot. I went to check it out and fell in love with the dolls and their prices. I knew what kind of doll I wanted, and the one I got just fit the bill better than any other.

I knew it when I saw her. She was just...so happy looking. Almost innocent. And her big eyes just called out to me.

I did for a while. My sister got a boy, and I wished that I had one, now. I even considered selling/trading her for a boy. But, I didn't have the nerve to do it. Now I'm happy with her, and I couldn't even dream of selling her.

My first doll was a DollZone Shoyo Girl, and yes, I still own her. In fact, she sitting on my lap with my DZ Megi right now. xD

Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      It was technically a present. I had raised $120 bucks for her, so my sister provided the other 120. I didn't get to choose her wig, though. Meh, I'm happy with it for now.
      --after a brutal chopping of the most of it off xD--

4. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      Well, my first doll was a Volks SD13 FCS old F-29 (now the F-17, I believe) pureskin and it was pretty easy for me because this was back when DoA was still a mailing list and there weren't so many fabulous choices! (I have no idea how I would decide if I was just now buying my first! This hobby has expanded enormously!) The SD13s were kind of the new thing (almost everyone had SDs and CP/Luts dolls weren't super popular yet, they were still kind of seen as the cheaper alternative--as if they're cheap! *winces as she looks at her wallet and glares at all her Els and Shiwoos*) and I knew right away that I wanted a SD13 boy. The ones offered, however, just didn't meet my fancy so I headed over to the site of someone who could be my agent buying an FCS.

As soon as I saw the old F-29/F-17 head I knew this is what I wanted for my boy. He was the newest head and was so beautiful!

Nope! He is not actually my favorite boy but I will always remember the absolute amazed feeling of awe that swept over me when I opened that box! He just blew me away. I named him Nanashi (Nameless) because he was so beautiful that I couldn't decide a name for him! :)

Volks SD13 FCS old F-19/F-17 pureskin with an urban faceup and yes, he's still the head of my household of dolls. He is in charge and he knows it!

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?
      It was a Christmas/birthday present from my parents my senior year of highschool. I had to combine the two holidays though, *g* because after paying the agent and the shipping he cost about a thousand dollars. :) I love being spoiled. Hell, I now am all grown up, out of college, a homeowner, and teaching middle school kids and they still spoil me.

5. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      The doll I chose for my first just sort of leapt out at me. I was amazed at the personality and expressions I saw in even just the company pictures.

I was still extremely new to dolls, though. It was only the second doll company I'd ever seen. I was nervous that the only reason I liked the doll was because I hadn't been exposed to many yet, so I looked at as many other headmolds as possible. I found myself comparing them all back to the original mold I'd liked, and still liking the original one best. Even doing some research and finding out that the mold was super popular didn't deter me.

I've never been unhappy with the one I choice. He was my first and is still my absolute favorite. I'm quite happy that I choice the one I did.

A Luts El. :aheartbea I bought him over two years ago now, and he's still happily at home with me.

6. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I was searching for the perfect molds for the main characters of my graphic novella, so I needed them to resemble my drawings. I was obsessively saving pictures of all sorts of dolls, and it was incredibly hard to find both bodies and headmolds that I liked.
      I completely fell in love with Sabik the moment I saw him and I was sure he'd be my first doll. While I was waiting for the next FFD I found owner pics of the Dollstown girls, and totally fell for them. But from all the threads it seemed so unlikely that they'd be available anytime soon, so I went ahead and put my Sabik on layaway. Just a few days later, Dollstown did their massive restock, and I had to order my girl. Even then I still wasn't sure which head to get. I ended up picking her because I felt she looked the most like my drawings.

I thought she'd be my second, it was kind of random that she came first.

I was fretting about it a lot before she showed up, looking at all the other pretty Dollstown kids. But now I absolutely love my girl, totally no regrets. And I think she's a good first, since my boy will be soooo huge. Its nice to get a chance to get acquainted with her before he comes and invades.

Which doll was your first and do you still own it? Dollstown Yeondu

extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present? I chose her myself. And she was kind of a present to myself, since I had just finished a huge art commission and that's how I was able to afford her :)

7. -How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

It took a long time I was waiting for a price range and a connection.

-And when did you know that this doll should be your first?
      I was looking for versatility and I found it.

-Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?

I am pretty happy with my choice, if not very happy...

-Which doll was your first and do you still own it?

Migidoll Miho WILL be my first... so I guess the second part doesn't apply to me.

-extra question: Were you even able to choose it? Was it a present?

He will definitely not be a present... except my boyfriend is paying for a small amount, which he insisted on.

8. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I looked around for about 6 months before I decided. I knew early on that I wanted a SDF because I loved the bodies for both the boys and girls, and almost all the heads are pretty imo. While the MSDs are more "affordable", I fell in love with the size and presence that the bigger dolls have. The hardest part for me was deciding if I wanted a boy (Ethan) or a girl (Camilla).

Because I also wanted to improve my sewing, I decided to get a girl first and make her skirts.

Nope, especially since I sort of cheated and bought my first two almost at once. A very nice girl on DoA had ordered an Ethan with exactly the outfit, wig, and shoes that I had wanted for him, and decided it wasn't love at first sight for her. I totally pounced to get him, even while Luts was still working on my Camilla.

SDF Camilla ordered first. SDF Ethan arrived first. Still own both.

They were a Christmas/birthday present to myself. :)

9. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      The second I saw a DOT Lahoo I knew I had to have him. He was the first BJD I ever really saw. Someone posted a picture of him on a Final Fantasy VII community on LJ saying he looked like the Shiny haired boys from Advent Children. It was love at first site for me.

I knew it the second I saw him. Like I said. Love at first sight. He looked like my original character and knew I had to get him.

I don't have my first doll yet, but after I ordered him I was wondering if I should of gone for another doll that I liked. Or maybe even try to find one that is a bit smaller, but I think that is just my nerves. I just spent a lot of money to get him and I know I will love him when I get him. I just have that little voice in my head saying I might of been wrong.

I don't have him yet, but he'll be a DOT Lahoo. And I don't think I could ever sell him. Even if I was desperate for money. I'd be living in a box along with my doll.

10. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      My DZ Nina was a birthday present that I bought for myself. I took me around 3 months to consider which one to get. It was a close match between MSD Miyu and DZ Nina. I also considered DIM Flora but she was a bit too big and expensive for me back then. Finally I decided on DZ Nina due to my budget, her size and body shape.

After doing 3 months of research.

I was (am) very happy with my choice. She is adorable and looks much better than the one on the official web site.

DZ Nina is my first doll (please refer to my avatar) and I still own her. I will NOT sell her! :fangirl:

I got to choose her. She was a birthday present that I got for myself.

11. Oh lord, choosing my first has been difficult. I've gone from wanting one doll to being so nervous about the company's rep that I decided to wait to wanting MSD fandolls of characters I didn't really love all that much to now wanting an MSD original character. Who is a girl. All previous dolls I had looked at were boys so I was super surprised when I found myself saying "get her!"

How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      While I do love boy dolls I looked at her and said "I wouldn't mind having you. You're so pretty!" she's also an MSD which was weird for me. But I'm still going to get her. I've always really wanted a girl doll to dress up in cute clothes :)

When I raised enough to get her(even though I was still unsure if I should) and I felt so happy. I can't wait to get her and every time I think of her coming home I get excited!

ha ha N/A cause she isn't here yet

My first will be a Soulkid Mayu and I hope I'll never have to sell her cause she'll be my first doll!

12. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I made my decision to make CP EL SP. as my The First Doll after spending
      so many hours and hours searching so many different companies.

As soon as I saw him,it was love at first sight, but a price was something I wasn't expected from a doll at that time.

No, He is just perfect!!!

Yes, he is or should I say they are now 2 years old. Even my collection has grown since then my CP EL Special (Light and Night) holds a very special part
      of my heart. I just love them so much!:aheartbea:aheartbea:aheartbea

13. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first? I didn't really decide, I found her on eBay.
      And when did you know that this doll should be your first? After I ended up adopting her.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? No, I thought she was the cutest thing.Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one? Not at all.
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it? Orientdoll So Ui and yes, she is still mine.

14. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It took me over a year to decide. I was looking for a doll with a certain charactor.... Which I wasn't sure of.... Just kept searching for the doll with the right presence about her.
      Volks LE Emma was overlooked by me till I saw her in person... At that time there were not many pics on DOA of her that inspired me.... But when I saw my Emma in person and after the 2nd look into her eyes I had to have her.
      After 2 years I am happy with her and have no regrets.
      Emma was my fisrt and still is my only.
      Well actually.... She chose me.

15. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      I research about 2 years for my first doll. And I found Luts' Soo and Ari type. But Ari was limited edition, so I have decide to choose soo instead of ari.
      First time I saw her picture on web.
      Did you get unhappy with your choice? Do you wish / did you wish that you've ordered another one?No, I am always happy with my choice. I wish another doll but not becuase I don't happy with my dolls.
      Which doll was your first and do you still own it?Yes, I still own it, and My first doll is Lust Delf SOO.
      Well,,I would say it was a present for my grandmother. I gave me money for the doll.

16. It was really hard for me, because I didn't want to spend a ton of money. But you kinda have to, because you get what you pay for.

17. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?

OMG he is so cute! and at the time, I just really wanted a BJD. so *click* *buy*

The second I saw him.

Nope ^___^

Scooter, my bobobie Nissa, and yes I do... and I love him. :D

18. I'm currently in the process of choosing my first doll. It will probably be 9 months to a year before I buy it, so I have plenty of time to decide.

I'm taking in as many kinds of dolls as I can, and bookmarking the styles I like best. When I first started looking at them, I thought I wanted an MSD female, but the more I look, the more I've discovered that I prefer the faces of the boys and most of the ones I like are SD (my wallet cries). I've only just begun my search however, so we'll see how it goes.

19. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?Well, I don't really know. There was too many I wanted ! ...maybe I played Russian roulette XD

...around five minutes before buying it.

No! I'm completely in love with him ^^

It was a DIM Galahad and yes I still own him.

It was a present from me to me XD
      So, yes, I was able to choose it.

20. How did YOU decide which doll should be your first?
      It was easy. :) I am crazy about cute kitties and Pipos Baha was right what I needed! And she was not so expensive as Dollshe Saint whom I wanted too =)

At first sight. =)

Never! My kitty kid is the best :p

Pipos Baha (the first mold) with pink faceup. She's mine.

It has never been a question for me which Baha to choose, and I have bought her myself.