1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Chubby or Spindly?

Sep 18, 2020

1. So, I've been browsing some artist dolls lately and got curious to hear some opinions - if you had to have a non standard body type in your BJD collection, which one would you prefer: the "softer" body - something renaissance paintings inspired, or maybe just a bit on a plus size, for example Nelei plus size 1/4 | Argonautica Dolls, or something like Popovy sisters or PahshPasha? :)

2. I have both, but if I had to pick one it's definitely a chubby doll for novelty alone. Let's face it- Barbie has been frozen at 110 since 1965, super skinny fashion dolls are sort of a dime a dozen.

That's not to say I don't like very skinny dolls (doll chateau was one of the companies that first got me into bjds!) I'm just craving something new and different. That's why I love my Of Butterflies And Things girl so much. :3nodding:

3. I collect a lot of mass produced female fashion dolls, so I don't really need more variety of female dolls to collect (in any body shape), but I tend to prefer fit looking bodies when it comes to my male dolls. Most are mature ones, although I did own two child bodies at one point. I prefer them to be slender was well, not because I am scrawny myself, but because that was all that was available at the time. If there were more options for non-standard BJD male bodies, I would prefer more realistic proportions; while still idealized to a certain point, I would want one that looked a lot less cartoony (no spider legs and tinie tiny torsos, or super thin necks).

Most plastic male bodies in many toy genres tend to be pretty boring for me, it's kind of depressing -- but it does save me from hoarding more than I already do. DX[font]

4. I like the idea of having both. For a long time I did not like the look of the spindly skinny dolls. But I've come around and hope to get a chubby looking doll and a skinny one at some point. I like the idea of diversity in my group and for a long time I incorporated that idea by having a lot of different scales (65cm/SD/MSD/YoSD/tiny) but now I realize I prefer my dolls to exist together in the same universe, be able to use the same props, so I stick to one scale and strive for diversity in body type. I haven't picked a plump girl yet, but Ive got Court of the Dead Muse of Bone (pashapasha size I believe) picked for my skinny girl.

5. Honestly, I just want a regular male body. Maybe even a "dad bod".
      Not toned, no beef, maybe even with a slight chub.
      Seems to be impossible to find except for some rare options (like the Dollshe Mystic).

Otherwise for this question, I'd also lean more towards the chubby option. Not a big fan of the weirdly otherworldly extreme thin aesthetic.

6. I'm actually really wanting to add a chubby gent to my lineup. I think spindly can be fun, and I love my lanky dolls, resin or otherwise, but big is beautiful, too-- I want a guy (and probably also a girl) who has proportions a little similar to mine!

7. I prefer both! I deliberately set up my collection to be part of an urban fairytale so I could freely explore the full range of variety in BJDs.:) I have a little bit of everything in my eclectic crew, but two of my very favorite bodies are the chunky Luts BabyDelf bodies and the thin, elongated Doll Chateau K-05 bodies with extra joints...at this point I have 3 of each of those!;)

8. I like both, but prefer chubby dolls.
      I also second a less buff/chubby dude. It seems difficult to find a male body that isn't shredded or looks mature enough otherwise.

9. That Nelei in 1/4 size might be my new grail doll. She's gorgeous! Thank you for sharing.

10. I like variety, so both and more.

11. Slim and slimmer. Not too realistic, more stylized dolls. I don't like anything chubby or plus size. My Universe Doll is my only ripped team member and he will stay the most muscled doll of mine. I only want to have slimmer dolls than him. I like skinny resin dudes...

12. I like 'softer-looking' bodies generally. Rounded proportions are cuter to me.

#12 RinSetsua, Sep 18, 2020
      Last edited: Sep 19, 2020
    13. I actually have a very slim artist doll and a curvier one with a little chubby tummy... but i have to go with spindly because i think it looks very otherworldly and non human, which i find really fun!

14. Probably the alien-looking thin one. It looks really stylized and strange, which is a little more appealing to me.

15. While I certainly don't dislike it, I'm personally a little tired of the spindly look. Chubby dolls are more novel to me.

16. I prefer the chubbier dolls mainly because there are sooo many crispy-thin dolls and I think it's better to have more body type diversity, especially in such a customizable hobby. The dolls I prefer looking at are fantasy in nature however, so spindly dolls are much more common.

17. I like variety in my dolls, so if I really fell for the face as well as the body, I'd go with either one. Once upon a time, I wouldn't have given a second look at Popovy or PashaPasha, because when I first got into the hobby I was looking for a more realistic or humanly 'attractive' aesthetic, but now their almost fey look appeals to me, and I may end up with one someday. But to this point, I've never seen a plump doll that truly appealed to me from head to toe. The part in between, the soft body, I find completely charming if it's done well - but either the facial sculpt leaves me cold, or in a case like Nelei, whose face doesn't really strike a cord with me (although she's pretty, for sure), her disproportionately teeny feet keep drawing my eye and making me think what the heck? I sort of feel like the creators are all about the body in a 'plump is the whole point' kind of way, and don't pay enough attention to the other details. The company that creates the perfect soft body and face to match will no doubt own my wallet.

18. Both!

The girl in my avatar is an OfButterfliesNThings Paulette and she's my favorite doll. Her waist is bigger than that of a Mega Gem guy, but she's only 56cm tall. I love my chubby girl.

But I also love Doll Chateau and want one again one day. I sold my Ingemar a few years back, and I kinda miss him.

All of my dolls are human characters in the same world, I like a good variety in body types, just like real life.

19. I like both!

I've yet to find one of either sort that work with my group.

I do want a body option that's more like, one day he'll have dad bod. Strong, but already starting to chub. Lost his trainer and never replaced him, eating carbs again, lives near a bakery.

On the opposite end, even with all the beauty stereotypes represented, there isn't actually a large scale female doll that's built like a runway modal. Tall, really thin, build like the letter H, flat chested. And done as a pretty straight forward natural human, not exaggerated or stylized.

Those are the two doll shaped holes in my group.

20. @Ara Island Doll has a chubby male body! I've seen it and it's very lovely!

as for me, I prefer bodies with interesting shapes even if they're a pain to clothe. I love my Morningstardoll Francesca for her curves. She's the perfect size for travel and can wear a lot of MSD clothes. I want to get a DV body next to get a spindly body a try.