1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Clothes/shoes for odd size dolls: companies should stock them?

Aug 26, 2008

1. I don't really mind having dolls of odd sizes, because I enjoy making my own clothes as well as buying. (Making is also much cheaper...) But. I can't make my own shoes. And I love lots of little shoes. So I don't know what I'd do if I had a doll with oddly sized shoes.

2. Shoes are indeed a problem, and I struggle to find clothes for Arnold (so he's still in the same outfit I made for him when he came :P). Companies should just keep their dolls about the same size and make my life easier XD

3. You won't get any disagreement from me. I'm happy that Domuya has finally stocked an outfit for their flexi-perennial male body even though it's been a good eight months since I bought the body itself. I've picked up a few key pieces for the long-legged SD13 boys that work, but there was definitely some time where my newest boy wore clothes that made him look like a boy that had suddenly had a growth spurt when his mother wasn't looking.

4. I think that the company making the doll should support the doll, either by making the shoes/clothes that will fit or by making a partnership with a company/person who can. At the same time, there's a good reason dolls tend to have similar measurements in the same size, and I'm quite happy that my Volks clothes fit my DoD and vice versa. Shoes tend to be more annoying.

5. I don't have any experience with any other companies, but I find it impossible to find shoes for my Angell-Studio Vera. She has reeeeeeally tiny feet compared to a regular MSD (so much so I'm surprised she doesn't fall over :XD) but Angell-Studio don't sell any shoes, let alone ones in their dolls' size :(

6. For clothes you can check the volks usa site under who's that girl they have a lot of clothes for 27 cm dolls.

7. Boy, on this topic, have you guys seen the new upcoming Mr. Fabulous 70-cm-of-Beefcake EID doll body from Iplehouse? :ablink: Hooo! Now THERE is a challenge! Iplehouse says right off the bat (in EID's news blurb) that they intend to make clothes & wigs to support him, later, because there's clearly no way he'll fit into anyone's clothes on this market. Probably not even BishonenHouse or Unidoll. XD For those of you with an EID on your shopping list-- who intend to clothe him at all (instead of leaving him beautifully naked)-- I salute you.

Yes, now you're getting it. That is the nature of shopping. It is not just a hunt, it is a gamble, it is a game of risk and luck and timing and iron will, and it is unlike anything Vegas could dish out. The item you want, ain't available. What's there in your size, is fugly. What you like, don't fit. What's perfect, costs money!

You can't skimp on perfection, though. If you invested X-hundred dollars bringing home the doll herself, then $20 shoes should be the least she deserves.

I bet you can find 27cm shoes way cheaper than that, though. There's 27cm shoes GALORE on ebay or anywhere else that sells the massive bulk choices of Tonner/Volks/Pullip/whatever shoes. Releaserain, mimiwoo, those kinds of sellers. Like a gold mine. Shopping there always makes me wish I HAD a 27cm doll.

Since clothes & shoes are part of the total customized dolly package, I never like to scrimp on them... I search to find the perfect shoes, & then spend what they cost. Shabby quality & economizing, so often, it shows in the end result.

Hear, hear! Posting measurements isn't just logical, it's classy & professional! And makes us love you! ^^ I'm thinking of some of the Soom shoes, which give you the measurement of the inside-length of the shoe, as well as the outside-length, and for boots, the height of the upper. Yes! It's great not to have to spend $50 to find out whether a pair of boots will fit-- not if you can take 3 minutes to measure your doll's feet & shins first, and determine whether or not that $50 will be wasted. That's pretty close to godliness.

8. I think that the company that makes the doll, if they have the skill should make things that would fit their dolls if they're odd size. But if they can't make clothes or anything else but dolls then well...you're kinda out of luck. They're already making you your doll, if they don't have the skill to make clothes for it...well...too bad? ^^;

But I think that if companies who don't make the odd size dolls see enough people with odd size dolls just because it would be in their best interest(for profit. and that's what they're in it for) but it's not their responsibility or their problem if your dolls don't fit their clothes if they don't even make the dolls you own. I know that dollmore sells narsha dolls and they sell stuff for narsha. But would you expect Luts to stock narsha clothes when they don't even make them? No. It's ridiculous. There's nothing in it for them and that's all there is to it :P

9. Kaiser-Serena: Thank you so much :3
      Now I know I won't be doomed to alter Barbie clothing or fighting with another pair of mismeasured for a while XD

JennyNemesis: I understand. I just wish I had the extra 10, 15USD to spend on Emma for shoes. So, like I said, she's shoe-less. If I found a shoe that she would just HAVE TO HAVE, of course I'd spend the extra buck! Same went for her wig, and bits of accessories that I knew fit her. I'm just not willing to compromise my spending money (which is limited, due to my age and lack of job availabilities due to the inflexability of my school XD) on something I find "so-so"
      :D I'll keep lookin! And thanks for the tip-offs for some of those sites, I'll check them when I'm not so busy XD

10. Soom also has a few sets out but they're kind of pricey.

11. I gotta say Super gem is a perfect example of this, there are always threads asking what other clothes they can wear because Soom never restock the little section they do have.

12. It would certainly be nice if they did, but I don't let clothing fit determine whether or not I will buy/keep a certain sculpt. I pretty much have been making or commissioning all my dolls' clothing these days. After three years in the hobby I find I must make a greater effort to keep it interesting to me.

ETA: I worry that artists and manufacturers will constrain their sculpting to just fit commercially available clothing. That would be terrible; I'd hate to see sculptural variety and/or realism disappear in favor of trendy vinyl shoes. :-/

Raven

13. I think it would be frustrating to have a doll with measurements so different that you cannot buy clothes 'off the rack' as it were for them.

That actually keeps me from looking at some doll because I see their measurements and I think" Wow he /she is not the same size as anybody.'

While that in itself is not the issue but since everyone likes to shop for their bjds it makes it fn to go on doa or ebay and fnd something for your doll with ease.

14. I agree. I have a Soulkid Double girl, and she is technically an unusual size. She's much curvier than Unoa and MNF, though she's about the same height. And her feet are slimmer than most immature MSDs, but longer than slim minis. However, she is outfitted almost exclusively in Friends2BMade clothing. F2BM is a branch of the Build-A-Bear workshop and most of their clothing items are very cute and relatively inexpensive.

I agree with JennyNemesis, too. The love of the hunt is part of the joy of the hobby. I very rarely buy clothes that are designed for my particular doll's body type (with the exception of Marsh's tailored pants... I have a love of those trousers!). Except for my one fullset boy, I don't think I've ever owned an item of clothing that was the same "brand" as my doll (Luts clothing for a Delf, for example). Usually I just get a general idea of what will and won't fit. My Soulkid girl will fit most MNF clothing that is a little loose or stretchy in the bust, for example.

As others have said, doing research is just part of the hobby, and it's a part I enjoy. It's like solving a mystery or a puzzle, finding out just what makes my doll's body different or similar to others, so I can decide what clothing will/won't fit. So even if more companies with odd-sized dolls started making clothing, I'd probably still hunt elsewhere for clothes.

15. The doll, and his body, always comes first. If I want it, I don't care if nobody makes clothes for it yet. Clothes will come to hand somehow later. They always do.

If the company doesn't step into the market-gap and make some money off me (really, man, don't you want my money? C'maan, make some shoes and pants! ^^)... Then I just take my problem to a sewing-person. The marketplace is full of 'em; and I carefully cultivate a few local sewing-wizards in my town, who I can actually take the doll to for measurements.

I have trouble buying off-the-rack clothes myself (if they have whole stores just for Petites, why will nobody make chic women's clothes in Tall sizes, without going to Plus? *snf*). So, the dolls get no damn sympathy from me. *snrt*

That's a valid concern, at least to be aware of. It would be truly terrible if sculptors started constraining themselves like that (no matter how much easier it'd be to shop).

But for so many companies, I just don't see it happening... I mean... have you looked at that new Iplehouse guy? :nowords: 70cm tall, 39cm chest, and thighs as big around as an SD16 Boy's waist. Clearly, these good folks do NOT feel any pressure to sculpt their dolls to fit into mass-market clothes. XD (However, they're already working on clothes for him, so they're not stupid either. Bless them.) I broke down & got one of these behemoths-- shopping be damned. It will be a pain to shop for him at first, but it really is cheering to see that innovation & variety ain't dead yet.

16. YES! I have a Senior delf blanchet and I make most of her clothes myself, but when I want to buy something I usually can't because she has a large bust and wide hips(wouldn't change her for the world!<3) .
      So I guess I would really be more intrested in patterns for odd sized dolls. Though anything you can't find you can always commission.

17. As much as I'd love for all companies to stock clothing for most sizes (and keep them in stock! *laugh*), realistically I think they should only be responsible for the sizes that they sell. In a way, that's only fair.

18. It would be great if companies stocked at least some basic clothes for dolls that are not a 'standard' size - a basic top, pants, dress and skirt.

One thing I've seen in some Blythe communities is people selling a plain basic dress that is perfect for customizing - if something like that was available I would jump on it. The same would go for pants, skirts and tops.

Shoes are another problem altogether. I find evilbay is about the best place to buy shoes if only because a number of sellers list the actual internal and external sizes.

The biggest problem I encounter is that full measurements are not often given for clothes/shoes/wigs etc.

19. I think it is good if they supply things for odd size dolls.
      I personally don't have so much trouble with finding things for my Minifee.
      X"D But I think that's because she loves to wear baggy clothes, so it doens't matter if they are to big.

20. It would be nice if that did do that, I have Unoa so it's hard to find shoes for her. I've been very lucky with finding clothes for her though. But a lot of companies are always out of stock and it is annoying especially if you've been checking back for months and nothing have changed.