1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Colour Schemes and dolls

Apr 8, 2012

1. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Not... really. I have dolls that will have a tendency towards one color or another (for instance, my Orijean refuses to wear any color other than black), and I have a doll that will insist on the same color in a particular outfit... but it isn't planned on my part really.

★Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      I prefer my dolls to not have clashing colors, but matching as in wearing the same color all over, no. Complimentary colors, certainly, or colors that go well to together. But as said, I do have dolls that will insist on wearing all the same, but that is not my preference, simply adhering to the character of the doll.

★Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      Eh, maybe in the beginning. The more I've been in this hobby, the more I've been able to look beyond the colors, painting, etc. on the doll and look at the features.

★Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?/COLOR]
      Definitely delighted. I always enjoy free/random eyes or wigs. :D I may not always use them immediately, but I keep them just in case.

★Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      Not really, no.

★Or does it not matter to you?
      I'd say it doesn't matter to me, mostly. I try to keep to the characters of my dolls for their clothing/coloring choices. While I try to keep my dolls from clashing horribly, I generally try to find things their characters would actually wear.

2. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      It's not a theam, it's more like colors I don't see on them. For eample non of my dolls will ever wear purple. I do not dislike purple, it's just that they look horrible in it.It takes experimenting to know what looks good on them.
      For instance, there is one. and only one similaryty between 2 of my 3 dolls, green eyes.

Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      Not really. Some company pics even overdo it for my taste. As long as it looks good, they may have brown hair, green eyes and wear a blue haori. I'm much more character based.

Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      To be honest, yes. The frst doll I fell in love with belonged to a friend, and he was wearing a wine red wig. If I didn't already love the color, I would have done so after seeing him. My first doll got a wine red wig, and even thou he looks good in other colors, he will always be a "natural red head".

Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      For instance, yes, but only because after I oderd I got the premonition that he would get blue eyes, and they were indeed blue. It was more the fact that I was right about it, and that it was one of the few no goes I had for that doll, that upset me, than the blue eyes themseleves. I like blue eyes, but not on my doll(s).

Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      Nope.

Or does it not matter to you?
      It matters, but character and personality matters more.

3. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yep, she does have a color scheme; brown, purple and green/cyanish green. However, I have pink and blue clothes for her so sometimes I dont stick to it, it isnt really set in stone, you know

Sometimes, or actually most of the time. For me it's a way of making a character, instead of comming up with stories and personalities I like to form color schemes instead n_n

Yep, in a positive way. I get inspired yt great color combos, like green eyes and pink hair. When the color scheme is a range of colors that I dont really like I simply just look at the sculpt, bad choice of color when it comes to eyes, wig and clothing doesnt affect what sculpt Im buying

★Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      I cant really answer this as my one and only doll arrived with brown eyes as I specificly asked for (yay!)

★Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      Yep

-

4. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      They will have yes xD

Not particularly, but all my dolls will be matched with 1 or a selection of colours for their clothes, wigs and eyes.

Yes, definately =P

No, just for mine =3

5. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Oh, yeah. Azure, for example, has blue and white hair, so I can't easily dress him in bright colors. He largely wears blues, greys, black and white. He also look excellent in certain shades of purple. I also try to keep them in colors that they "like" and that flatter their coloring. Angel wears a lot of pink and purples because he's kinda girly, but he also looks good in browns and white. Azri is all dark blues and black, with a little bit of red. Ryuu is all about black and red, but I like to give him different shades of red. I think he'd look really good in dark grey, greens and purples too. And Mika is my little lolita, so she's got all kinds of wigs and dresses to coordinate!

I've been experimenting more with prints, and I'm liking the results a lot, especially with Azure, who always used to be so monochrome.

No, but if I photograph them in a group, I like their clothes to compliment each other. It's pretty easy when most of my guys like black.

Yes. Especially when I'm looking for lolita clothes for Mika. I also am more tempted to buy if everything looks like it belongs together. It also makes me jealous of photography skills and want to buy tons and tons of props, but that's another story!

Yes. Ryuu's head was second hand, and he didn't have the default eyes (which I didn't want anyway), but he came with a pair of blue eyes that I liked a lot. He normally wears brown, but the blue looks good on him too.

Oh, yeah. There's certain photographers that I just love because of the way they use color and make everything look just perfect. And I like different things from different photographers. Dark and goth from a couple, sweet and frilly pastels from some, and elegant, muted sepias and pinks from another.

6. My dolls have favourite colours that they wear, but they don't follow a set 'scheme' as they've all just got natural coloured eyes and hair.

7. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Not elaborate ones, but I do associate certain colours with certain dolls.

Originally I didn't aim for that, and most of mine don't have matching eye and hair colour. However, I actually really like that kind of matching so I've been styling some dolls that way.

Sometimes the wig influences me in the sense that it reminds me of a character with that hair colour.

I don't keep the eyes that come with a doll. I may keep a fullset wig but very rarely use it on the doll it came with.

Sure. I like grey-on-grey, beige and beige-y pink mixes, or strong contrasts like bright, rich colours against black. :sweat

8. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yes, I would say all of them do. I think very extensively on their eye/wig/body blushing combinations and then about the style of clothing that doll will wear.

In a way. I don't care so much about matching colours as contrasting colours. My redheaded boy will likely never wear pink, but the brunet with green eyes does.

Yes, all the time. I decided not to make my Sard blond or white-haired because I saw that it was very hard for him to pull that off in normal skin. I do a lot of research before I buy, and I would say that most of my dolls have decent colour schemes as a result.

No, I have rarely gotten anything random with my dolls and even if I did, I already had wigs and eyes picked out, so my decision was unswayed.

I like dark hair with light skin, light hair with dark skin, and middling hair with middling skin. One doll that sticks in my mind was a Resinsoul dark tan with light pink hair. I was tempted to recreate him immediately.

9. Oh my gosh I love this topic aaah. ; u; The responses are so interesting. I was kind of wondering if other people did this sort of thing!

★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Well, doll singular at the moment, but pretty much every single doll I'm planning for has very distinct colors that are "theirs". Partially because I always tend to think in colors, and also because in my headcanon medieval fantasy universe they exist in, things are pretty strictly organized by color, both in clothing colors and right down to hair/eye/skin colors. It's not necessarily all matching/the same colors for everything - Teia has dark auburn hair and mismatched brown/sky blue eyes, but wears all white, silver or blue for example - but generally, yes.
      To a certain degree, yes! I love when I see a doll with even their hair/eye colors all uniform, but I don't plan for all of mine to match to that degree.
      Not really.
      Only ever received one thus far! ... and no wig, just eyes. Which I was pretty indifferent about, because I had already ordered the appropriate urethane eyes.
      Kind of. Like I said, I tend to think in color schemes, so...

10. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      As of right now, my doll has a black and red color scheme mostly because that is my favorite color combination in almost everything [my room is red and black, most of my clothes are red and black, my hair was even red and black at one point], so I had a feeling my doll would follow in this area as well. Plus, it fits his doll features rather well. My future doll will have multiple color schemes, blue and black, white and black, purple and black, and just black [black is my favorite thing to combine anything to]. My dolls will have a gothic feel to them and black works well with what I envision them. I may try other schemes as well in the future.

Well, I only have one doll, but when I get my second, they wont be matching in color but in theme [Gothic, Victorian, Japanese]. Each doll will have their own color pallet but the characters they represent have different tastes in fashion and appearance, which helps them be more distinct.

Not really. My doll was a gift from a friend and she bought him bare but she gave me some clothes so he wouldn't be naked [all black]. But looking at the factory photos, darker color pallets seem to fit all their SD dolls [in my opinion]. My next doll, however, seems to work great in blue, black, and white, and I do plan on buying the outfit he comes with, but I mainly want him in purple. But I'll have to see if that scheme works well for him. As a decision to buy my doll, however, isn't a huge factor. I always look at the face features and body build. They have to look absolutely perfect for my characters and clothes can always be made to fit a doll, but once a doll is bought you cant really change their features [well, you can, but I wouldn't].

Not really. Like I said before, my doll was a gift from a good friend of mine so I was happy just to have a doll in general. But the wigs they sent with the doll was a light brown and a teal, which look wonderful, but they weren't right for my character. My next doll will have the same wig in the picture [a dark teal blue] but his eyes will be random. I already know I'll be getting new eyes for him regardless because they're specific. It's just one of those things I know wont phase me.
      Red and black is my favorite combination for dolls with white skin because it compliments their skin color so much more. My friend has a LE Code from D.O.D and she got him in white skin and the outfit he came with [red and black] is absolutely stunning on him! When he's in other clothes [which is blue jeans and a white sweater last time I saw him], he looks more...like a ghost. Her other doll, LE Soom Phonolous, is tanned and looks fantastic in green clothing, but I honestly cant see him in any other color. Probably because I've seen both dolls in their original color pallets that I've just gotten used to that theme, but it's only when it's those two dolls, this never happens with other dolls for some reason. For my doll right now, red works best on him, and I've seen other people with the same doll in other colors and they look fine. It's weird. O__o

Honestly, it depends on the sculpt and skin color, but this problem never happens with my own doll.

11. Ohh I love this thread!
      Haha yes they do! I decide the doll's color usually by their wig (I try to give all my dolls different colored hair) but sometimes it is by the clothing they wear. As for eyes, I have a hard time breaking away from blue and green. @_@
      I tend to give a doll a pallet of colors and dress them accordingly. One of mine has green hair, and he wears mostly browns, greens and other neutral colors.
      I was going to say no, but Elfdoll Red in owner pics really did look good with red hair. Originally he was supposed to be blonde! He now switches out between a reddish brown and blonde wig.
      I hardly ever use what comes with default looks, but I generally find a use for them. Can't say I've been disappointed.
      I typically seem to like desaturated fall colors or light spring pastels. I think perhaps my own collection is headed that direction.

12. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      The only doll I have so far is my Iplehouse Isar, and yes she has a color scheme. I don't have much clothes for her yet, but they're all fiery colors with browns (mostly because I wanted them to be able to match her fullset outfit).

I prefer the doll to look good?

I guess her fullset really swayed me. Also the fact that she's the guardian of fire. Her color scheme is fiery.

Not really. I knew which wig she'd be getting and the random eyes didn't matter because I had yellow glass eyes waiting for her.

Not really. XD

Nope.

13. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Some of them do. It usually has to do with a combination of what looks good on them and what matches their character along with personal preference.

A couple have fairly rigid color schemes, such as Salem; who is supposed to wear black almost exclusively with a few accent colors like purple or teal because a) he has a very black-heavy, goth-ish faceup that would look out of place with vibrant colors and b) white and other light colors really bring out how yellowed he is!

Some dolls wear whatever I feel like putting them in, like Rome, who has the most amazing tan skin and looks good in everything; or Tohru, who embodies my embarrassing love of a black/white/red monochrome.

The rest usually end up in what the perceived character would wear (One prefers earth tones, one leans towards dark, rich fabrics with lots of gold accents). It varies.

Sometimes. It depends on their personal color scheme. They don’t usually match each other, at least not intentionally.

Not particularly… well, actually, I suppose in a way you could say that. One of the reasons I bought a JDF Terra to be Tohru was because I was struck by how well it fit despite the fact that they had completely opposite hair/eye colors (company photos have him as a blue-eyed blond, Tohru has brown eyes and black hair).

I don’t know that delighted is the right word… I’ve been mildly weirded out by a particular eye color before, but I’ve also been pleased as well. Salem came with a black wig and red eyes and that just worked for him without any outside thought on my part (There’s that red/black/white thing again).

There are some dolls I always enjoy seeing because of their color schemes – BulletsBANQ and Tygati’s gloriously vibrant dolls immediately spring to mind, or Harlequin Elle’s lovely smoky selkie boy – but I don’t specifically go searching for particular colors.

I don’t think I’ve ever seen a doll where I couldn’t stand the colors to the point of actual dislike. More like a “Uh. Well. I’d never have tried that. Huh.” reaction.

14. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Short answer - some do, some don't. My dolls are not based on characters (I'm not a writer), so sometimes I do find that a particular doll looks good in certain colors, and sometimes a doll looks good in many different colors! For example, my cat anthro developed a pastel pink theme, which I find suits her better than any other color. Delf DES, on the other hand, has a much darker theme - black, burgundy, dark purple, etc.

It depends on the doll. But, in general, it doesn't matter to me either way. As long as the doll looks good, I don't mind mismatched colors.

Just colors? No. Beautiful color schemes can inspire me to do something similar to my dolls, but I wouldn't buy a doll just because it is dressed or painted a certain way; the sculpt and posing ability is what matters most to me.

Never upset. Delighted, sure! I love random eyes/wigs that companies sometimes includes with dolls because it lets me try out colors that I wouldn't have otherwise.

For my own dolls, I tend to lean more towards pastels; pinks and purples in particular.

It doesn't matter to me which themes people choose for their dolls. I can and will admire any doll that's beautifully put together, no matter which color theme is used.

15. Things to think about:

Not really. I mean, they have FAVOURITE colours, or colours they will just out and out refuse to wear, or that don't look good with their colouring, but not really colour 'schemes' so to speak.

I don't really understand what you mean by 'matching' colours. Like their clothing matching their hair/eyes/ect? Well, with one of them there is that, sort of, but that's because he's a white doll with white hair and blue eyes and a blue face-up. His favourite colours are blue, silver, and white, occasionally he'll take another colour but his colour is so very dramatic (on purpose) that some colours just don't look good on him, or he won't wear it. But he's an ice elemental so his favourite colours tend to lean towards that sort of spectrum.

Nope. I buy a doll only after I see it blank, with nothing going on, so that I know I can make it look how ~I~ want. The only doll I ever bought with factory anything was because even after seeing him blank, the factory default face-up was perfect for his character so I got him as a set, but he gave the clothes to my other guys to wear, and only wears pretty things.

Nope. By the time I got my dolls I already either had the eyes/wigs or was waiting on them, because my dolls are characters from an RP and have specific looks and styles and I want them to look exactly the way I and my friend see them.

Nope.

Doesn't matter. If I think someone's doll looks really good in something I'll say so, but I wouldn't purposely be mean and tell them I think something looked horrible either. I might kindly suggest other tones of the same colour, but that's because I'm one of those polite suggestion type folks. I want to help people and be friendly.[/QUOTE]

16. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      A couple of them do. Yav has bright orange/red hair, and all of his clothing and accessories are either orange, red, or yellow. I like taking photos of him with orange or red things as well. Hilary uses a lot of pink and blue- his eyes are blue, and his hair is usually (though not always) pink. E.Z.'s was green, like his hair (used to be) and eyes, but he is starting to move away from that.

I like dolls to be dressed in colours that go well with them, but they do not actually have to match. It is nice when it is well done, of course.

I do not think so.
      I have never gotten both a wig and a pair of eyes, but twice I got perfectly coloured eyes for the doll I bought.

I find I really like red hair. I like looking at other people's redheaded and red themed dolls, and a few of mine have turned out to be red heads (Kit, Abda, Hoshang, Yav, and my newest, Lex all have red hair) I also like blue, however.

17. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Some of them do. I have three angels who have eyes that match their hair (one is bright yellow/gold, one is a gradient blond to orange and the other has a pinky-purple streak with matching eyes), two of them wear that color at times as well. Uriel who has the orange/blond hair and eyes that go from yellow to orange wears fire colors - yellow, orange and red - almost all the time.

I have one with green/purple hair who only wears black because anything else will clash, Isis is a more neutral-colored doll, David wears earth tones and more muted jewel tones and Kimi wears a lot of pink, black and purple. Wyn and Jen wear every color of the rainbow all at once.

I used to have a girl who had a natural colored wig, and only wore off-white, tea-stained, vintage stuff. I don't have her anymore, but I saved her wardrobe for a new girl I have coming in so I can do the same thing XD

Not really. Most of my dolls/characters colors happened by accident XD

Not that I can remember...I usually don't keep anything from a factory photo with my dolls. This includes LE fullsets.

My PW Goldie kept the eyes that came with her, but only because they really nice for Acrylics and I didn't have any other eyes for her XD

I did get a pair of free blue glass eyes from Dollmore that became the eyes my Kara Klum has...which I then had to buy 10 more times >.<

5star sent bright yellow glass eyes with my OffT red boy, which is awesome because Hellboy has yellow eyes! So he most definitely got those!

&#9733;Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      No?

&#9733;Or does it not matter to you?

?

18. I've always been obsessed with monochromatic color schemes, and as a result, most of the clothing I buy for my BJDs is black, white, or gray. It's kind of boring and typical for male clothing, but it works for me. Faceup color, eye color, and hair color all depend on the character I have in mind of the doll. I tend to favor dark eyes paired with light colored hair, but I've seen some stunning combinations that don't follow my preferences.

19. &#9733;Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yes, they certainly do.I think I can be a bit obsessed with color coordinating my entire group^^They all wear white, pastels.Right now they are wearing white outfits w/ lilac and pale blue accents~
      &#9733;Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      I perfer the same color group and coordination.

&#9733;Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      No, not really.I think If I saw a doll wearing my favorite colors I would be more likely to buy><
      &#9733;Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      I usually don't keep what I receive randomly because it doesn't match the color scheme I have going.All my dolls have green eyes and brown or black wigs, so If I receive any other color I usually will not keep.I did receive a pair of beautiful green eyes from Alice in Labyrinth a few years ago that I still use.
      &#9733;Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      (other owners dolls?) I love seeing different styles, and what other people do with their dolls.Always fun to see what someone else comes up with and to see different color coordinations that I would never have thought of.

20. &#9733;Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      I was just thinking about this the other day. They do have certain colors that they wear. Gabi wears blue and purple, Alyn wears browns and creams, Kaelyn wears pinks and blacks, and Lexie wears blues and grays. Solana is the only one that doesn't have certain colors since she's meant to be steampunk.
      &#9733;Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      My dolls don't have to match each other.
      &#9733;Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      No, Actually Kaelyn (a DOC Petsha) doesn't look very good in white in my opinion.
      &#9733;Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      Kaelyn's gray eyes are the only ones that I kept. All the rest have switched out their random for something else.
      I can't say i don't since two of my dolls wear blue/gray/black which makes up about 90% of the clothes in my closet. but I usually hate pink for myself yet I love it on Kaelynn.
      &#9733;Or does it not matter to you?
      I try to pick what looks good on each doll, although I admit I would probably never dress my dolls in yellow or orange since I really don't like either of those colors...