1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Colour Schemes and dolls

Apr 8, 2012

1. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yes they do.

★Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      Yes actually I do like them to match but by my definition of matching.

★Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      No not really. I tend to already have a thought in my head before buying so not really.

★Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      Yeh I was my BG Aurora came with gorgeous purple eyes that I obsconded for my OceanMoon Ha-nee because they were a perfect color for her. But not sometihng they themselves did no.

★Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      Ummm yah black with silver and any other color.

★Or does it not matter to you?
      Oh no it matters to me for mine but other people's it doesn't matter so much because I figure they have their own sort of scheme they are going with.

2. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yup. Eyes and hair must complement each other (after all, they don't change), and each doll also has a signature colour, although this is more flexible than eyes/hair.
      Syr has deep purple hair, pale silver-gray eyes, and wears turquoise/aqua blue-green cool tones. Justinian has golden eyes, brown-reddish hair (still haven't figured that out completely), and wears cream/brown and warm tones. Halcyon has dark gray hair, light blue eyes, and generally wears light green and "natural" tones.

Do you prefer a doll to have matching colours?
      Absolutely, I like pleasing contrasts and complementary colours, so even if the doll's clothes deviates from their signature colour, it must still complement. And I also prefer not to reuse the same colour palette -- each doll has to be distinct!

Have the colours in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?
      I mainly get lots of inspiration from looking at photos -- it helps me decide on my own colour palettes. But if there's a set of clothes in a great colour palette, I'd definitely consider buying it! (And have done that before too.)

Were you ever upset/delighted with a random wig/eye combination you received?
      Not yet... I prefer to come up with my own combos anyway.

Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)? Or does it not matter to you?
      I don't quite understand this question, but no, I only come up with colour palettes for my own dolls, whenever I get them.

3. I totally do this. XD My Ash always wears a black/white/silver/gray sort of scheme. He's meant to be a somewhat gothic rocker.

Really, I think most of my dolls go with black and white outfits. Those are just two colors that go with everything, and it makes it easy to mix and match the clothing pieces!

4. Do your dolls have color schemes?

Not exactly, but I like to dress them in appropriate colors for the characters I make up for them and that look well with their hair and eyes, just as I do for myself.

Do you prefer a doll to have matching colors?

I like my dolls to look good together, so dolls that are in family groups are dressed in colors that do not clash.

Have the colors in factory photos/owner photos swayed your buying decisions?

No, as I rarely buy fullsets.

Occasionally I get "random" eyes or wigs that I keep for the doll, but not usually. If they don't work for the doll they came with, they may work for another, so I don't worry about it.

Do you tend to have favourite color sets for dolls in general (not just yours)? Or does it not matter to you?

I don't like for the doll itself to be overwhelmed by the clothes it wears, so most of my doll clothes colors are muted and understated.

5. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?

Yes, ish. Lillian (luts annette) wears different shades of blue, but has red hair and grey eyes. Isaac (Doll Zone Edward) wears black with red accents, but has blond hair and amber eyes. Dahlia (Doll Love youyou) also wears blues, but she has some black. and has black hair and purple eyes. Then my Doll Zone Moon (currently unnamed) wears blacks, blues, and purples, most likely with a black wig and blue eyes, but that is currently undecided.

The first three are based on characters and those are the colors they wear. The last is just a sculpt I really liked and I decided to stay with the night theme.

Yes, ish. Only because I tend to give my characters colors that are "their colors", but only the clothes are like that. The hair and eyes tend to be natural, non-matching colors.

A little with my DZ Moon

Not as of yet

★Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?

If it looks good, yes. If it turns out too monochrome, no.

It is really no biggie

6. ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      To a point. All of my dolls have a bit of an overall general color scheme that I like, but it isn't strict as to which doll has which colors. The tinies tend to wear brighter colors than the larger dolls, but that's not entirely set in stone, either.

I prefer they wear clothes that make sense with their hair and eyes, in particular if they don't have "natural" hair or eye colors. Their eyes and wigs have to make visual sense together to me, too (even if they don't to other people).

Yes they can. Even if a mold has potential, I have less interest in owning dolls with cooler face-ups. Colors like black, blue and purple in face-ups don't interest me as much because currently I like my dolls to have face-ups in warmer colors. I do enjoy seeing these colors on other dolls, but they don't work in my collection.

I usually get eyes I can't stand, I have a pile of acrylic eyes from various dolls that I just don't care for. I haven't gotten a doll that came with a wig in awhile, but I don't currently use any of the ones I still have.

I just like when colors make sense to me, be them bright, light, dark, or neutral, or any combination.

7. Awesome topic! These are great questions, as I am currently picking out the colors for my first two dolls ;)

★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Yes, I would even go further and say they have a "theme."

Yes. Perhaps I'm a bit OCD? I even want them to match each other...

No. I've already had an idea for my characters, so when I look at the factory photos, I'm mostly looking for a doll that matches my idea and my character.

No. I figure the "random" wig/eye is the "free gift" and if it matches your vision, then you're lucky, if it doesn't, well, you were going to have to buy something anyway.

Yes, and usually it would match my fashion sense in general, and what I like for colors. I think this is normal ;) But I'm probably more picky when it comes to my dolls.

I can look at someone else's dolls and say that they look nice even though it's not my particularly taste. :)

8. Best I can say right now is that I'm rather indecisive, so if I do come up with any specific color scheme I'll likely stick with it and learn to like it. My brain works funny like that.

9. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Some of them do. Alistair's default eyes are red, and Chloe's resin is green, so you could say they've got color schemes.

I go more with coordinating colors (or boldly contrasting colors) than I do the matching thing.

Only in one case. I thought I wanted a coffee Resinsoul, but it turns out that coffee is too light for what I have in mind. So when I order Ylla, she'll be a dark tan rather than a coffee.

I've never received a random wig with my dolls...at least, not yet. I was delighted with my first doll's eyes, though. I opened the box, took the mask off Johnny's face, and the first words out of my mouth were "Oh, he's got gray eyes! How lovely!" I was expecting them to be shocking blue or dull brown or something like that. I still smile when I look at those eyes.

Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      I love green, so I tend to dress my boys in green a lot. It wasn't intentional, but they do look good in it!

Or does it not matter to you?
      It depends on my mood. Sometimes it matters and sometimes it doesn't. If a color is critical for the doll's character (like it is for Chloe and Ylla) then it matters. The rest of the time it doesn't.

10. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Not really for now. My Suzette is a Hawaiian girl, so she's always wearing bright colors. Maybe blue / turquoise is more common for her, as I plan to give her turquoise eyes.
      For my Saint, I guess he has a color scheme (for now at least) because all the clothes (and most of the ones I plan to get for him) that I have bought for him are grey.

Not necessarily. I guess it depends on the clothes / eyes / etc... ?

Nope, not at all ^^
      On the contrary, for my Suzette, the company photo helped me to choose the color of the wig, at least I knew that I didn't want to have a brown wig ^^'

Not really for now.
      I have received my Suzette without a wig but with "random" eyes (everybody got the same apparently), which are light red and a bit sparkling, but I don't like these (although they're really beautiful) so I've been wanting to change them since I received her.
      For my Haru, I ordered her fullset and do not plan on changing anything (not even her clothes ^^' at least for now.)
      And for my Saint I don't have him yet and I think that he will arrive without eyes ?

Do you tend to have favourite colour sets for dolls in general (not just yours)?
      No ^^

Or does it not matter to you?
      Colors don't really matter to me, as long as the doll looks good ^.^

11. Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      Some do, or at least have favorite colors. Here'sthe list:
      -Parker- baby blue, grey, white
      -Kier- shamrock green
      -Dhani- plum, grey, charcoal
      -Justin- red, black
      -Jayden- yellow
      -Lakin- black, grey, olive green
      -Michael- light green
      -Luc- camo
      -Hailey- mauve, muted pink, cream, tan
      -Jack- lime green
      -Blaine- black, brown
      -Eirnin- grey, cream
      -Derby- green, red
      -Hazle- mint green, muted blue
      -Rose- baby blue, pastel yellow
      -Peach- checkered
      -Erica- black, purple
      -Piper- lavender, bright blue

Depends on the doll. Some matter more than others.

No. It's all character related.

Not upset, since I plan those thing ahead and don't rely on defauls, but I have had the right eyes come in before.

I like a lot of greens.

12. This is fun like a good enjoyable quiz!
      Things to think about:
      ★Do your dolls have colour schemes?
      not set. I try to get a doll that is versitile to tke different looks and colors and I am a freak for colors both bright and widely diversified s well as styles

some are matching enough to not be horrifying but it depends on what you mean by matching: they will never all be the same color unless it is black but
      not completely it would be horribly boring for a doll to have the same eye color as the dress and it all in one color.
      yes!

Yes, on a OT US doll but it was easily remedied

no

★Or does it not matter to you?[/QUOTE]
      it really matters to me but maybe not in the context of what others would think matter: basically can the doll pull it off? do I personally like it [which can happen if the doll and its style is nothing i would have but can admire what the owner has done to it]