1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Company Faceups vs Original Faceups : Which is "better"?

Apr 12, 2012

1. it all depends. sometimes you can fall in love with the face up a company does to enhance their sculpt. sometimes you just see a sculpt and want to do the face up for yourself. and then you get the ones that eventually erase the company one and do one of their own. i have done all three. my mom just gets the company ones. to each their own.

2. Again, another to each his own topic.
      I don't feel it makes or breaks a doll by any means. Sometimes, I like the factory more than the custom face up. Sometimes, I like the custom better than the factory.
      I know that I personally seem to 'flock' towards the custom face ups artists do but apart from that, it doesn't mean I'd hate seeing the factory one.

Unless I'd become proficient in customizing, I would never get a faceup done because I wouldn't feel ok about sending it around and what not. It's not that I don't trust artists. It's because of losing shipments, damaged shipments, etc. Too much risk for me. :x

3. I have taken the road of having both.. that is when I screw up enough courage to make my mark on my 2 girls who are awaiting my attention. I do like some company face-ups quite a bit, but I am constantly impressed with the incredible level of creativity that exists in the community and love seeing additional interpretations of the same doll. Many times, it is not the company face-up which leads me to make the decision to purchase a specific sculpt, rather it is a custom face-up which has impressed me all to hell and made the sculpt even more beautiful/intriguing/compelling. I would buy second hand dolls with both and not blink an eye about it. It can always be changed and that is truly the beauty of the whole process. As far as other people judging..let them loose sleep and stew about it. We are different people with differing tastes.. c'est la vie!

4. I like my doll's original face up. They're the reason I bought my doll in the first place. But sometimes, I do see some custom face- ups that are very beautiful, much better than the company's ones, and I sometimes wish to have that type of talent to change my doll face up. So I guess it depends. Sometimes, I like a custom face up better, but sometimes I like the company ones. There are exceptions though, like my Lily. I've seen a lot better face ups for her, but I still prefer her original face up. It's the reason I fell in love with her, and I would never want to change it. :)

5. I can't say one is better than the other. I can say if I see a face-up I like that is not the doll markers face-up it changes the dolls face so much it looks like a whole different doll and I might love it more. Getting different looks at the face with other face-ups can change your opinion on a doll sometimes.

6. I think it's up to the owner over which one is better for them.
      For me personally, default faceups don't click. It's not that I don't like them, there are some absolutely beautiful ones out there to be sure! I just don't think I could connect with a doll I didn't paint myself. I get ideas in my head of what I want them to look like, plus I like the idea of my doll being truly mine. No other out there just like her. It might take me several attempts over several years to get them to where I'm happy but it's all part of the journey :)

7. i think that sometimes you can fall in love with the face up of a company does and sometimes you just see an head and want to do your particular face up on it..
      it depends on what are you searching for..
      i will be happy with a company face up, but for my first doll i prefer to do my personal face up..^^

8. I'd say original almost always. There's the few occasions where the company has a really good face-up artist doing their face-ups and I can't bring myself to get another one though.

9. It's all about preference. Right now, all of my dolls have company face-ups and they were all bought secondhand. I love them all, and I've got good compliments about the dolls even with the company face-ups. It doesn't matter to me that they were done in the factory. Some people love to do their own face-ups, and that's cool too. Eventually I'd like to learn. But, I know that it is possible to make a doll "yours" with a company face-up. And, I know first hand that people find my dolls beautiful with the face-ups that they already have. ^^

10. Whichever one makes the owner the happiest. My two MSDs have company face-ups, my tiny has a custom face-up done by someone else and my two larger dolls are blank and awaiting my clumsy hands and a paintbrush.

11. Faceups are totally up to the owner--whether they like the default or want something different...

If I like the company faceup, that's what I'll go with. If I don't like it, or the doll comes blank--only, then I'll do my own faceup. I generally prefer company faceups, since I know what I will get, and I really do admire the skill and artistry involved. Plus, I'm lazy and not as skilled, so it's worth it to get the company faceups when I can and if I like them.

The good thing about dolls is that you CAN change the faceups if you wish. Sometimes it's a difficult decision, but at other times an owner definitely wants a change.

Myself, I haven't wiped a faceup yet... but I have an old one that I did that needs re-doing. And my oldest dolls are showing a bit of MSC-yellowing. so I might have to clean up and alter their faceups a bit... But I don't wish to change my dolls' faceups. Except for the lips on my IP Carina... they are too pink for me! But so far I have left it be.

First--there is no consensus of view among the "more experienced in the doll community," so just forget about that! It's all individual taste, and most owners will have a variety of faceup styles anyway.

Second-- please! who CARES what anyone else thinks??? Just do what YOU wish! And I don't mean YOU the OP, but YOU in general! No one should have dolls and worry about whether OTHERS find them boring or not! They are for the owner to enjoy. And there will ALWAYS be at least a few others who also will enjoy the same styles and dolls, so no one should be without some approval from others, if they really need that.

ALL dolls are unique! They are hand-painted, which makes them unique. They are all hand-caste and hand-assembled. They are all dressed with different eyes, wigs, clothes, shoes, accessories. They are all photoed in different poses with different settings and projecting different styles/looks/attitudes/emotions.

The dolls are all unique from day one! And what the owners do with them make them even more unique.

Plus... uniqueness is totally over-rated!!!! It is all about what the owner wants. If they wish for something similar to others, then that's the important part. ... Every snowflake is unique, but to me they just look like the same little crystalline bits! Big deal. Just go with whatever makes you happy. You can make a totally unique doll that you don't like, and what would be the sense in that???

Unique is SO NOT IMPORTANT to me. What I want is what I want. I don't care to make things different just to be different!

No. We are all buying these dolls and admiring them on the websites... do we like them because they are not interesting???? NO.

If you're (in general, not the OP specifically) bored, then change things up. Otherwise, stop worrying about what others find interesting or unique.

If they do, I don't care at all. If I want a company faceup, I'm not going to worry about what others think!!! And company faceups would not be purchased if people didn't like them--so just think about that! Those who do not get company faceups are merely looking for something else. It's not all about judging, you know! Maybe they just don't want that faceup.... It doesn't mean they think they are judging owners who DO like that faceup!

...why are people so worried about what others think about their dolls??? Please. Try and be yourself and enjoy the dolls you enjoy without worrying about everyone else! :|

I've been around since 2004, I have over 50 bjds... I think I'm an 'experienced owner'... and I have a TON of Company faceups on my dolls. Some don't have company faceups, but most DO. So... for those who worry about such things, take that into consideration!

12. I just love custom faceups! :)

13. I think both can be equally wonderful. I have some dolls with custom face-ups and others with company face-ups which I would never change for the world. Sometimes I feel a original face-up can bring so much more out of a sculpt, but there are also times where no custom face-up could compare to the company's work. An Example being one of Pipos' limited face-ups like this one. They are pieces of art with the amount of fine details that go into them! My breath is always taken away whenever I see a Pipos limited doll. :3