1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Completing One Doll Before Buying Another?

Apr 30, 2018

1. I only allow myself one doll a year. So I always complete one doll before going on to the next. Each doll needs at least two or three wigs minimum, one pair of eyes that totally works for them, which occasionally means I have to buy as many as six pair before I find ones that suit the doll, They have to have a couple of really nice outfits that I custom make for them, and a robe, and a couple pairs of shoes, and jewelry made to reflect their tastes, a pair of tennis shoes, or casual shoes, and a pair of dress shoes. I also like them to have a coat, and maybe a cape and a hat. I usually do the faceup at least a couple of times before I am satisfied with it, though my oldest doll is on maybe his eighth or ninth faceup. He also has maybe a couple of dozen outfits, he was an only child for a long time.

2. Well I do have the rule that I should finish one doll before going to another. However I could nnto stick to that plan in the past. Always had many characters in mind and sculpts and I did enjoy hoping from to another. Especially becuase sometimes you find the perfect wig for one character or the perfect eyes for another. However it did end up in me not really finishing anny off my dolls. But since I returned I really reall reaaally promised myself to first finish the dolls I already have. Or atleast start working on them a little again before buying a new one. Its still hard on me tho, but ive kept mself strong with the new peakswoods fob event, so i'm prettyy proud on that (all tho if peakswoods is going to open hunky dory for sale I would totally sin again).

ps: also it's indeed hard to tell when a doll is "done", changing a doll is like a never ending process with always something to make more "perfect".

3. I tried the idea of finishing a doll before moving on to the next, but that's something that's never worked out for me! :XD:

Usually it's a matter of me waiting for my favorite custom doll clothes shop to open up orders or struggling with finding suitable shoes or wigs. I only have one doll that's more or less finished, but she took a few steps back when her faceup took a big scratch the other day.
      I think a good way to approach a sea of needy (or nakey) dolls is to try and at least knock out the essentials for the doll: faceup, eyes, wig, top, bottom, and shoes! From there it's just building up the look as you need, finishing pieces, and so on. At least for me it's a lot less stressful if the doll at least has a little something on, and that way you can build on the outfits as the things become available! :D

4. I'm a big multitasker and sometimes I get bored if I'm only working on one project. Having multiple projects going at once, sometimes even between my various hobbies, let's me keep my creative momentum going, so if I run out of inspiration for one project, I can continue working on another. I also feel like I stagnate after I finish a project if it's my only one at the time, so it's good to always keep it moving.

I also absolutely cannot control myself with buying new dolls as I fall in love with them! For me the doll comes first and then the character so I have a huge list of approved dolls that I'd love to get and when they're available, I pounce on them instantly, as well as any new sculpts I fall in love with instantly.

5. I like to try making sure everyone has wig, eyes, faceup and at least one set of clothes: even if it’s not the ideal set I want for my characters, they should at least be dressed. Thinking about my collection, I think all but the two new arrivals have everything, but they’re not ‘complete’, because they’re not exactly how I want them yet.

6. Ideally I would prefer to finish one doll before getting another one. To me, a doll is finished when they have any mods I'd planned for them complete, the proper wig, eyes and faceup, and I've made them at least one outfit that's specifically for them.
      In theory, this should work out really well for me, since I'm not able to buy new dolls very often at all. I also don't really change the overall look/style of my dolls once I've finished them... I might make small refinements like upgrading their eyes or something, but in general, their hair/eye color, faceup design, clothing style, etc. stay the same. My ongoing projects tend to be making new clothes and stuff for them rather than continually changing the dolls themselves.
      That being said...only 3 of my dolls are finished right now, and I have multiples in mid-process of modding, or waiting for faceup, or waiting for wigs...because a couple of years ago I hit a point where I just decided to redo EVERYBODY. At first I would get each new doll finished very quickly upon their arrival, but after a few years of doing my doll hobby I wasn't happy with anyone anymore and wanted to take them all apart and do them over. It started with the faceups...I had been doing all my own, and they're passable, but not at all outstanding. When I finally ended up having a really beautiful faceup done by someone else, I had to get all my dolls redone to match...and that just kicked the whole thing off. I wanted them all to look the same...just a better, more refined version.
      Doing this to an entire doll collection at once = not recommended! I'm super happy with how they're turning out now, but getting them all redone has been a slow process and for awhile there it was REALLY not fun having no dolls I could actually dress up and take pics of because they were all in pieces. After this round of having them all repainted by someone who actually has real skill, finishing up the mods I added to fix some issues with my first girl's body, and getting everyone's wigs and eyes upgraded, I am definitely going back to finishing one at a time.

7. If I completed each doll before I went to the next, I'd only have one doll!

My list of "unfinished" dolls is far longer than my "finished" list. It doesn't bug me. Even though I feel a sense of satisfaction to see a completed doll, sometimes it's just not possible due to time or money constraints, motivation, or even availability. I'm in the hobby for the long haul; all will come in good time.

8. Hmm...I mostly buy dolls based on if I like the sculpt or not. I don't create characters first too much though I do have a brief character theme picked out but no doll I have in mind for it. I tend to think of the character after I see the doll though. I need to see different pics of it to get a feel for what kind of character I would like for the doll.

So far, I've gotten a head, a body, and a full doll. The head has a character somewhat. The body is reserved for a future doll/character and the full doll got his character as I looked at him and basically mostly flushed out in terms of character description though his look not totally finalized but that's how all my dolls are. Their final look hasn't been finalized but I know general idea of what they would be.

I guess I kind of buy dolls as I go along even though their character isn't fully completed. I don't want to have too many dolls in general so I think it's okay but it's a bit much? Not sure if that's the right word. I'm not even sure how many different characters I'd want but I think I'd be okay changing up a doll's character to suit another one XD or they all get lumped into one :P not sure yet. guess have to wait and see how it goes.

i hope i actually answered a question or so with this response XD

9. I usually don't plan at all if I see a sculpt I love, I get it and figure out everything later XD although since wait times are so long I have time to start planning what hair color, eyes, distinct features, character. So it's kind of like working in reverse.

My dolls will be tweaked, faceups, hair eyes, tattoos, piercings over time but that's about it.

I'll overlap doll buys if there's multiple ones I want and if there's a limited one involved. (if there's enough $$). T_T

10. In the context of 'working on' dolls like an ongoing project, it's good to be able to have another doll project to jump back and forth between so that you're less likely to get burn out for working on a doll, and what not.

That being said I didn't give this much considering when I started collecting and my floating heads and naked dolls (which are most of them) are starting to bother me. I guess you have to make sure to balance it out so that having multiple doll projects doesn't become a source of stress because they're all demanding something! I think I have to focus on finishing my dolls first now before making any other acquisitions.

11. I can't say I have completed my current doll yet. His story and character are still a wip but i've already completed his get up. So he's only complete in that sense but nonetheless it does not feel lacking. There's no definite time I can say that he'll be completed anytime soon but right now it just feels alright. One thing's for sure though, I made it straight to my goal to finish him first before me buying another doll. I just find it hard to focus on a project without one progressing, it makes me frustrated. So I try to as much as possible "complete" one first before buying another. It also helps me budget.

12. lol - I try to tell myself this: you can not buy a new doll before you finish 2 of the ones that sit here. Finished being dressed, with face-up and wig. Shoes may still be on the way since those are usually last.
      I never succeed.

And yes the number of projects do overwhelm me now and then. That is usually when I start selling again.
      That is an option for me - I tend to have between 25 and 45 dolls.

For the last year or so most of my orders have been from companies with a 6 month - 2 years waiting times, and that does help. There is a lot more coming out of my hands, more faces done and clothes made. There is a problem there for me: I am a perfectionist and I want to learn. Are you familiar with people like me? It means it will take me forever to learn and get the clothes done that I want to make. At least the face-ups go faster now. And I am usually happy enough in 1 or 2 tries.

Setting myself tasks also helps: this weekend it is design pants - in the sense of learning how to design the pattern.
      Preferably again and again so I can just make it when I want one. I have trouble with the crotch. I want enough space - also in the back, so they do not flash when sitting down.
      Not that I always keep to the task set. When I do not know how to go about something I tend to postpone and do other things. Like those face-ups :)

And yes, the dolls that become part of my main group, the ones that stay, are in the process of never finished. There are always new things, or more details needed.

#32 Cyador, May 26, 2018
      Last edited: May 26, 2018
    13. I have 4 dolls and they're all in different stages of progress! But I'm really gonna try to keep it to no more than two less than 50% done before getting another one. Which is more or less my current situation. In an idea world it would be one but two's not so bad.

14. In the sense that all my dolls are completely dressed and styled to my satisfaction, I mostly try to complete my dolls before moving on to the next one. Some of my dolls are second-hand, so though they may come to me with a faceup or accessories, I'll still try to get the doll done with a new face before I feel like it's mine and representing what I think the doll should look like.
      I currently have all but one doll "finished" to my liking. They all have their wardrobe (I try to rotate clothing with the seasons, so each doll roughly has four outfits: winter, spring, summer, fall.) and alternate wigs in case I get bored with their hair. Most of my MSDs also have a variety of props suiting their character and hobbies; cellphones and skateboards, kitchen supplies and snacks etc.
      However hard I try to complete all my dolls before moving to the next one, the fun in the hobby is trying new styles for them and getting them new accessories so I can expand my photostories.

15. I tend to go on a buying spree, or have one or two dolls on layaway and then slowly research and gather clothes for them while theyre on their way or after theyve been paid off. I dont feel like I can really ever complete my dolls, more like give them a faceup i really love and an outfit i think suits them most :> But I change up their faceups so often and change their clothes around so much im kind of in the lull of working on all my dolls rather than bringing any new ones in

16. I definitely prefer having numerous projects!
      I think making the perfect doll takes a really long time, I've seen some people spent almost 6 years just to find the right wig, eyes, and body for a doll, and I think it is impossible to refrain yourself during that long period :dance
      But putting that aside, I do understand what kind of feeling you're referring to with the word 'completed doll', like you can but more outfit for them but you're done with their wig and face up etc. But still I agree on the fact that what you're looking for from the doll might change over time.

For the first time I purchased a doll, I actually purchased two at the same time!
      I thought it would be lonely to have only one, not being able to interact with others.
      Although it may requires you to intensely manage your expense but I think it's unnecessary to be so strict on yourself!

17. I'm not sure if I really like the concept of "completion" when it comes to dolls. I find them interesting because they're like little open-ended projects - you can try out a faceup and a wig and an outfit, change up those combinations, and then do it again! (and again and again and again...)
      I know there will eventually be a point where I'm satisfied with how my girls look and dress, but the thought kind of scares me... what will I do then?

Anyways. I was planning on getting to that "completion" point with my Ada before buying another doll, but then my DD impulse buy happened. So, I think I'm really not all that concerned with "completing" dolls - I'll buy them based on my finances, and not how close they are to being how I want them to be. Big props to you less impulsive folks, though!

18. I’ve been in the hobby for almost 10 years now & not once have I ever been able to fully complete a project before bringing a new one into the picture.

19. When I first joined the hobby I used to have floating heads, dolls that I would eventually get clothes for, etc. Buying the resin was the most important thing, and I thought I would just finish them all later. It got to the point where I had several floating heads and nude dolls that I kept for years, and ended up selling them. I then kept everything I wanted to finish, made a list, and one by one finished all of my projects to the point where everyone is complete. My dolls all have one signature outfit, faceup, eyes, and wig. It's nice having everyone be photograph ready! :)

20. I'm very notorious about doing this.:XD:

Here's kind of the method to my madness: I tend to configure my plans over the long-term, focus on specific characters to develop (OCs, or very specific TV characters I'm a big fan of), get all the pieces necessary for their assembly as I come across them, figure out their specific aesthetic.

Outside a few little anomalies that crop up on my to-buy list occasionally, I've got what I'm planning to develop for my crew pretty established. I have a set number of characters I'm planning to do, and don't want to go overboard with adding more than what I've got planned. Also, since I'm partial [and develop a better, sentimental attachment to] to specific characters when I get bjds to shell as them. It keeps me from going overboard and creating an influx of overwhelming projects (and getting buried in a sea of too many dolls:lol:).

Also, I'm a bit of a completion. I like getting all the pieces compiled to everything (especially novel collections before I'll even start reading them!) before I move onto the next stage with them. I do work on the ones already physically here (faceups, wardrobe, wigs, etc.) while I wait to get the rest, but my plan is to really start developing the characters, their culture and wardrobes more fully once I've got all the ones I'm planning to do. (plus, once I'm done with college and graduate, I'm hoping to invest more time in them in general :3nodding:)

I end up with a lot of projects this way, and it can be a bit daunting at the onset, but having an established plan and set number helps keep me from getting too overwhelmed, and also keeps me more organized (and from becoming the crazy doll lady buried under a seas of bjds;))