1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Conarium Discussion Thread part 1

Aug 18, 2019

1. @Snowy Would you be willing to take a picture of your Litian with a 12mm eye? I finally ordered my boy a few weeks ago and I've been all over the place trying to make a decision. One eye should not be this challenging.

2. @Annarchy XD I'm laughing so hard right now, cause ... a) yes, one eye SHOULD NOT make this challenging b) I got some eyes yesterday and one of them is a 12mm I put into Litian and found it perfect. I DID take a pic, but it's crappy, so I didn't load it up. Now I do have a motivation to take a proper pic in proper lighting later today, that I will happily share with you ;)

Also: CONGRATS on your order ^^ Looking forward to seeing him :D
      Any plans for his design/style yet?

3. @Snowy Would you mind sharing the pattern that fits Wuhan (one of your traditional clothes)? Want to try and experiment a bit...:wiggle:abow:

4. @Snowy I know right? Why are some dolls so difficult? I would appreciate even a crappy pic- at this point anything would help me!

I can't wait for him to get home. I wish he was more popular but at least I'll have my own to enjoy soon enough. Since I'm apparently a hybrid junkie I'm actually planning on putting his head on my Dream Valley dragon body (minus the dragon feet.) If I can get the patterns figured out (wings make everything harder) he's going to have vaguely Renaissance styled clothes. Everything about this boy is turning into a challenge but I'm so excited for him!

5. @Annarchy Because they are special and need to be perfect, making us 1000% more picky.
      Here are two pics of Litian with a 12mm sized eye, normal iris size:
      Login • Instagram

Conarium generally isn't to well known at this point. They are still pretty new and haven't made their stand in the hobby yet due to lack of owner (pics) and their special size I believe, making them harder to cloth.

They are totally worth it thought :)
      Once you have one, you undoubtedly want more -^3^-

Oooh! Nice. I have Grayson (dragon version) myself and think that's a cool idea. Can see it work out :D
      Just make him normal clothes with a hole at the back and make the collar 'tie-able' or with pressure buttons :3 Or hooks and eyelets. Anything works :3 That way you don't have to worry about the wings too much~
      Renaissance sounds cool. Combine it with dragons and you got me hooked XD
      He's sure to sweep you off your feet!

6. @Snowy Thank you so much!!! That really helps out. His promo pics are nice but they're so dark it's hard to see what's going on in his eye area. This narrows the field a bit (down to maybe a dozen options instead of let's-not-count-that-high) One last question- would a 14mm eye a) fit and b)take up the whole opening?

Your picture really brought out just how pretty his face sculpt is too. I don't think I properly appreciated how serene he looks. And his lips! He's going to be fun to paint. I really like a couple of their other sculpts too so I'm not ruling out adding someone else later down the line!

I definitely think his shirt and jacket will have to pull up and close above his wings. He's going to be either some sort of demon or dark fae (hence the wings but not the other dragon parts- another doll stole those) so I just feel like he needs to be very well dressed. Pretty boy deserves pretty things!

7. @Annarchy Glad to help :)
      And yes, I love his promo pics, but I luckily ALWAYS want to check out the blank sculpt. I think I might have passed on him if @Sadomina hadn't mentioned digging him, making me take another look and... Well. Blank I liked him a lot more and... it actually were his pointy ears that for some reason totally changed my perspective of him XD
      A 14mm eye would fit, might gap at the top an bottom due curving of the eye. An oval shaped one or with a flat dom is definitly recommended in that case and if it has an normal sized iris, it would not fully show as a 'normal eye' would. I can take another picture later, if you want. I had some pretty 14mm lined up and decided against them, cause I like seeing the eye and part of the eye-white. I was even sceptical if the 12mm would fit my aesthetics, but that one I tried instantly worked out for me, so I didn't even try others. (definitly no smaller than 12mm is all I can recommend, or you will end up seeing the putty).

Ah, yes, he's really handsome and pretty. Hoping to get to do some face-upping done soon, but my Wuhan demanded I get working on his weapon first, and... I kinda followed that whim XD

Ooooh. I really li~~~~ke what I read. Be sure to show him off ;) I can't fully picture him yet, but I have a rough idea of what to expect and it really makes me excited <3

Meanwhile I'm plotting my Conarium asian cultivators and gods and not-quite-sure-what-they-are non-humans army XD

8. @Dunpeald Oh I just noticed I kind of missed your post about the patterns.
      I‘m not sure my .. ah... „patterns“ are according to the normal pattern standard but I‘ll try and take pics of them for you

Anyway here are the promised body posability pics.

Girl body
      Login • Instagram

Boy body (the one where he is on one leg are advanced, take time, loads of patience and find tuning. The 2nd of them only held just long oung for the pic, then he tipped to the side already.)
      Login • Instagram

Some conclusions:
      Both bodies can’t pull their legs up to their chest and neither can they bend their legs even the slightest bit backwards.
      The boy body feels a bit more ‚stable‘ and is less likely to twist his legs.
      Both bodies are incapable of spreading their arms sideways in a perfect straight T due to the way their upper arm is crafted into ‚shoulder pads‘.
      Ellbows and knees can bend all the way.
      Their chest joints can bend forward and backwards smoothly to a certain degree (and largely hold any position without further help). At the most further position there is a little notch, holding them in position, that’s not visible even in use.
      Their chest joints can also be rotated smoothly all around, but can not hold those positions on their own.
      Ankle and wrists joints have an average rotation ability, but in case of the ankes I feel that the motion to lean the doll slightly forward (which I sometimes require to balance out the weight of eg hair or other items strapped to the back) is a bit to restricted. I might have to slightly mod the lower legs a little to give them a small slope to grant me the range I require.
      Neck/head rotation ability is alright and among the usual. They hold pretty much whatever pose you leave the head in.

Additionally I‘d like to say, that yes, the hands can touch the face. But, you‘ll need tome patience and maybe some little aid to get them if you have a specific position in mind.

End of rant xD
      Congrats if you read all that to the end! You survived :p

9. Wow! Thank you for taking time to explain it all! Love reading (about dolls in particular)). It does help a lot, actually!
      I have bought some grey poplin and linen mix in three shades. possible will be targeting a shorter version of yukata and wide trousers.
      Should you have a minute to craft for me and other members some basic patterns to work around, that would be great!!!
      Thank you!

10. @Dunpeald No problem. I prefer to research most stuff before I commit to a purchase, so I try to describe everything that caught my attention.

That said, I DID forget something, concerning quality.
      I have some airbubbles on the surface of a shoulderblade on one of the girls.
      I also had a small breakage at the chest piece of Wuhan - I'm getting a replacement, but I have to pay for it.
      Also, I face-upped some of the ladies and gentlemen today and I took notice of the shine on some heads again. Disappeared after the first layer of sealant, but I felt like I should point out, that right now there is a chance that the surface of your doll is a bit shiney. I think it has to due with temperature switching as it is right now, while the resin is curing.

On a side note, I feel like I should also mention that apparently the creator switches from faceplates to 'traditional' heads (so headplate with the head, rather than faceplate with headback), which personally I find a bit sad, as I rather grew fond of the faceplate system.

Ah, sounds like a traditional get-up ;) Love the japanese style as well and have some kimonos myself - thought more with the bigger ones.

I sent you a message on instagram. It's not print-ready (sorry about that), but I put the patterns on a scale that should help your reproduce it. Just a basic pattern for pants (which you can easily alter to be wieder, like hakama and if you know how, you can even include the fabric for those folds of a hakama) and a basic pattern for the robe, that you can alter to have a top and if you make it slightly bigger and don't add the 2cm in the middle, you can use it for a jacket too. Only thing missing is the collar, as I rarely make a pattern for that.

If anyone else wants it, I can upload it on IG or flickr and link towards it here.

11. Thank you!!! Will try it out! I would say, post it in the patterns section in here, clueless people like me will come and cry for hints and tips and patterns)))
      And thank you for the quality review, that is surely useful to know and not be upset in case something will go wrong.

12. ... You realize just how much has changed on DoA when you first thought just now was "... We have a patterns section? ... Since when? Where?" and then you find it and are like *blinks* "Huh... There really is one..."

XD Good to know.

Also you are very welcome :)

13. I know I saw somewhere, at some point. But I've lost it. Can someone please tell me what eye size is recommended for the boys, I just ordered Wuhan and would like to endlessly browse eyes for him.

14. @mxwutter The eye-size thing is probably the one from me.

I wrote this before:
      The 8mm have a slight gap, while the 10mm's iris might be a touch to big if you want to go for a more realistic style. 10mm with a small (4mm) iris would be best. I think 12mm with either 5mm or 4mm sized iris would also fit, as the space is there.

Still stand by that and here's a size reference pic (Wuhan head used as model):
      Login • Instagram

15. That's great info, thank you very much for that!

Interestingly, heard back from Clover Singing and they said 12-14mm is good. I wish there was an eye size kit of some sort, with super cheap eyes of different sizes, solely for figuring out the best fit.

16. @mxwutter I like a semi-realistic look. 12mm would fit in most heads of Conarium, but the Wuhan head is smaller than than all the others.

17. @Snowy It's very odd they don't mention the separate sizing for Wuhan. It's nice you measured them, so I won't be surprised when it comes :sweat but I would expect them to be upfront about these kinds of differences. Hmmm... maybe I can email them via my dealer once it arrives and show them it's different, so they update their pages. I'll order 2 different sizes of eyes and see how it goes.

18. That's what the service person from the company said: 'he has a small pupil of 12mm'.
      When ordering directly from their TaoBao shop, original eyes can be added for 100Y.
      I have asked about Wuhan.

I keep chatting with them on this and that, after all, their dolls are of unusual size so finding accessories is pain.

19. Just ordered eyes following your suggestion: '10mm with a small (4mm) iris would be best' )) Will let you know when boy and eyes will arrive.