1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Contentious doll names - gods and so on.

Feb 11, 2008

1. I have no problem with names like these at all! In fact, we have a "God" doll -- yes, the all-knowing creator those Christian folk follow -- and a doll of Satan (the Morning Star).

So... yeah. I'd say I have no issue with contentious doll names. ;D

2. Completely agree, those are scary. I wouldn't ask why did anyone name their dolls those names as they are their dolls, but each culture has names they shy away and those whould never be in my dolls.

3. i think if you dont mean any offense, then name your doll what ever you want. if you wanna name it jesus and dress him up in pure white robes and a full beard. i would probably consider that in mockery. but if its YOUR doll, so what. name it what ever you wish.

4. If someone would give a doll the name of a tyrant like Hitler or Stalin or Castro I'd be very offended. You don't want a doll that reminds youof some of the worst beings that have ever been on this planet.

I don't have any problems with religious or any other names at all, the most important part of a name is that YOU think it's the name that suits your doll the best.

5. I just call my Dolls exactly what they are.

Saber is Saber, Megu is Megu.

For custom Dolls, I would never use some grand title like Jane, Lady of the Everlasting Lake.

6. Most of the time I make up names for my dolls; you know just random letters that sound good - or look up a name from the calendar (which is sometimes quite tricky because hungarian names are not always translateable to english) .
      As for greek gods' names I think they're quite cool. I can even imagine 'Platon' or 'Aristoteles' if you want to go greek. But I wouldn't be able to name my doll 'Jesus', not because it's disrespectful but it just doesn't fit to any doll or basically any creature on Earth.
      By the way, I saw dolls named 'Faust' and 'Hamlet' recently and even if these names remind me of something completely different from dolls I still think it's Ok, I even like them.

7. I currently have a doll named Neiþ (also written 'Neith'), which is the name of an Egyptian goddess. I'm now rethinking that name, because I've now got another character of a similar race/species who I need to name, and I cannot find another Egyptian goddess name that doesn't have very strong associations with it. I'm finding that I'm just very uncomfortable trying to use a god's name as a 'generic' name, if that makes sense. Especially as the Egyptian religion doesn't really exist in my fictional world, so the whole 'it's normal in some cultures to name children after gods' excuse doesn't really make sense.

I think dolls actually representing the gods would be very different, or dolls who have Egyptian characters that are explicitly (in character) named after the gods. But for non-Egyptian mortal characters in a world were Egyptian culture doesn't exist, it just doesn't feel right.

Obviously, this is all personal to my own characters, as well. I wouldn't judge another doll owner for naming their dolls after gods. Naming them after brutal dictators or violent criminals would cause me to raise my eyebrows a bit, but mostly because I'd assume such names would be intended to offend, and I'm not a huge fan of people who do things with the sole intention of being offensive.

8. Well, Jesus is a very common name in South American culture, but to a western culture I suppose it might seem a bit odd.
      There are certain names I would definitely avoid, but I certainly won't name them here :)- because that would be disrespectful.

9. Interesting topic. I just name my dolls what feels right or they get the name of the OC they portray. I actually have a Loki and I just thought the name suited him. I think so long as it suits the character and you are not doing it to deliberately cause offense then that's fine. Everyone is different and there will always be someone who may find a name offensive and it doesn't have to be just for religious reasons. Maybe the name is the same as a famous crime figure or it just happens to mean something completely different to a person from a different culture. As one person pointed out the name Damian scares her because she associates it with the film the omen, but to me it's my middle name and it's also the name of one of my dolls. I think we need to remember that in the end they are just names and usually not chosen to offend.

10. Our doll story is pretty vast and varied so we have all sorts of names like that xD;

first of all we've got the Original God who goes by the name Selvans (after Silvanus, God of nature) and then there's all the angels and demons that actually have names of actual angels and demons. As such we have Ophan, Penemue, Israfel, Ramiel, Hellel, Amesha Spenta, Sandalphon, Metatron, Devil, Mephistopheles, Lucifer, Bellial, Shaitan, Amaymon, Asmodai and Lemegeton... as well as possibly more I'm most likely forgetting @A@;;

Point in case, no... no problems with them names here...

11. I think people are free to name their dolls however they wish.

They should also know that they may cause offense to some people, so they shouldn't be surprised if someone might be unhappy if the name is really provocative.

I might really find some names uncomfortable or ugly, but I totally won't complain since I really think it's none of my business to tell people to change their doll's name just because I don't like it! Sure, some names could be horribly offensive to one group of people... but if it is perfectly fine and used by some folk (like "Jesus" as a name), then the other group needs to chill because it's possible for some people somewhere to find so many things offensive that we couldn't use most any name at all, and that's just ridiculous.

Basically, I don't believe in censorship.

I tend to avoid obvious, current religious names, myself, but that's because I'm just not interested in those. I will freely draw on myth and legend and dead religions, and sometimes living religious figures that aren't major. I will use demon names and angel names. I pretty much will name my dolls how I please, but I'm not interested in stirring up controversy with names, so if someone does feel offended, that's their business. I'm not trying to mess with anyone, so it's not at all intentional.

12. I would never get offended. You can name your dolls as you wish, like you would if you had a child. A name is merely a name. And surely, if the Gods have that name, then you naming your doll that would be a tribute? That's not disrespectful :)

13. Nope, not offended with any names. Each doll has their own story, and their owners have their own reasons for naming their dolls as such.

14. People can name their dolls whatever they want and it won't bother me.`If someone wants to name their doll Adolph Hitler and have it be a representation of Hitler that if fine with me. I don't see Hitler as the ultimate evil like some.

As someone who is both a Traditional Satanist and Demonolatress I have no problem if people name their dolls after Lord Satan or The Demons. Just because I worship them doesn't mean I don't think others shouldn't name their dolls after them. In fact I am going to buy a Ringdoll Lucifer who will be like a representation of Lord Satan and He will be on my Satanic Altar.I see HIM and Demons as a being very handsome not some monsters likes most of the world see THEM. But even if you have dolls that look like monsters and name them Satan or Demon names that is your choice. I noticed a lot of pagans wanted to put their 2 cents in so I thought I would as well since I didn't see any Satanists or Demonolaters/Demonolatresses put their views in.

So basically what I am saying is to each their own. Name your doll whatever you want. If you like the name who cares if someone else doesn't like it. Too many people worry about what others think all the time when it comes to their dolls.But people need to do what makes them happy not worry about other people's opinions of your dolls.

15. The name Jesus is not a big deal to me at all, I really don't care if people named their doll that. To expand on that, I don't care if someone has named their doll after a god/goddess, angel, demon, etc. and whatever. I already have a doll named Asmodeus, the demon of lust, but my character is not intended to be an embodiment of him. I would also give a doll the name Lucifer if I happen to have a character that was named that. I quite like the name Lucifer actually; I like the way it sounds. The way I think of this overall: when you get right down to it, it really IS just a name, it doesn't necessarily have to mean something. So no, nothing bothers me and I wouldn't go out of my way to avoid names :).

16. I don't think any names would offend me but I wouldn't name any of my dolls after anyone notorious or evil like Hitler or Manson.
      I just wouldn't like it. But it doesn't bother me what others name their dolls.

17. I would feel bad for a doll if their name was an obscenity, racial slur, or otherwise insult. I have no problem with someone naming their doll "The Creator" or "Mother Earth".

18. My real name is María Jesús and I am Latin American, I would not have any problem with putting a name to a doll, María or Jesús if the name adjust well to any of the characters. I do not see why I would be afraid, they are just names, they usually mean something or be related to something, but nothing more. :/

I admit that maybe I wouldnt call someone María, is a too common name, over 50% of womens names here begins with María. o3o

19. As it has been stated, a name is just a name. My Dollzone Eudora is named Pan, like the nature god. I would never be disrespectful to someone's religion, but a name is just a word to me.

20. There are certain names that I wouldn't use myself as I see them a bit offensive, but at the same time I wouldn't have much of a problem if someone else gave one of those names to their dolls. It is their doll, and they can do whatever they want. Names are just words. However, in ancient times names carried a lot of meaning, and weren't chosen lightly. And though I am a woman of the modern age, I do tend to take that in consideration when choosing names myself.