1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Contentious doll names - gods and so on.

Feb 11, 2008

1. I quite understand, and no offense is taken.^_^ And I hope I didn't offend you either! I prefer debates where you debate without chewing off another persons head because they don't agree with you. :sweat

I DO understand what you get at, and I agree that someone may not know about names. Just like I don't know about different faiths as well, but I think that in that situation it's not really offending. I may not really like it, but when you understand where they are coming from, it isn't disrespect. I keep stressing that if someone knows, and does it because they want the attention or some sort of hype, I have a right to be offended.

I never said they were OK to use. I SAID there are names that have no religious meaning. I may use Artemis from the ANCIENT sources. I don't know about you, but I've yet to meet a Roman who was offended.

Now, if I look at someone who believes Artemis FROM that faith in todays day and age, I can understand they would be offended, and that would deter me from using names for my dolls if they found it offending in using symbols and aspects attached to that faith or being.

And I'm saying that, really. What my intention is to show respect. That's all. I want people to know this bothers me. The same that instead of saying 'You have no right to stop me from naming my doll after anyone' or 'someone might be offended by your assumptions'. Please, do tell me what offends you. Tell everyone that this is a delicate matter and you hope they walk on that thin ice knowing they need to be careful and respectful.

Because I want to know so I can show proper respect to those people and use it tastefully. Jesus is considered off-limits to us, but for all I know a name like Artemis could be used freely without insulting anyone.

My statement is that I believe the ancient faiths to be dead with those people. The belief in Jesus spread from the Jewish stand-point and branched off, so that faith is NOT dead. Romans, Egyptians...that faith died. there is no longer those ancient traditions and faith. What I want to know is if those names are considered scared in a faith branched from them (I can use other religions such as Islam but I may most familiar with my faith).

For me, it's more of an awareness for names.

I'm trying, but I believe this debate to also be helpful to let the community understand what people believe, and perhaps give second thoughts to names before freely using them.

I'm be honest in saying that I have no issue in naming a doll after Anubis because that is a mythological character to me. That name has no attachment except maybe to my fascination with that mythological character. I have yet to meet anyone insulted by this, where as people obviously feel insulted by name usage, whether it be Christian or Muslim. People have different views of what is acceptable, and I understand someone may choose a name I may find to be unacceptable, so I can only hope they use it wisely.

2. I said it was ok to use 'dead' names, as in that they have no more meaning. I haven't met a Roman or an Egyptian that took offense to me naming something after Athena or Anubis. That's because they are dead. Those are myth gods, and used in thousands of media stories.

Handling the gods that are Athena etc. in over faiths, and attaching meaning to them I am not Ok with. And I did not mean 'live' faith (as in those people who are alive today and worship those gods and have that faith).

I STRESSED that it was MY view from MY religion that using Jesus is not alright with ME. It doesn't stop anyone though. But it can make them respect His name and use it carefully.

And I come here to enjoy myself, state something, and not to formulate an essay. I thought my point was blunt and it was my opinion. Maybe I didn't formulate a thought out thesis and points because honestly I was busy with exams. I hope that I made myself clear now.-shrugs-

I think I'll end this here because I HATE debates. The only reason I posted was because I wanted people to know what I found to be slightly iffy, and that I was curious about what others found iffy. To raise awareness, honestly.

I keep saying I have respect for other faiths, and that in no way will I laugh at anyone. Nor will I fail to admit that yes, perhaps someone could have been offended by my name use. So sorry and PLEASE tell me, since I would appreciate the same if someone just spewed out names that I was upset using.

Anyone can name dolls whatever they want, but they are bound to get someone annoyed if they are taken from Religion. You may not have belief in my faith, or any other, so the least you can do is be aware that some of us don't really like that, so treat that name usage with respect. Some names are used with no sacred association even if it represents faith (For me it would be John, Peter etc. and for what I have no faith in such as Anubis, Adonis etc.). Jesus is, you have to admit, a name with faith. Adonis, for example, is a heavily used name to explain a personality that is stuck-up and proud of their image. I relate that to THAT usage in the english language rather than faith. You really can't get away with Jesus (although some people said Spanish name Jesus, but it is pronounced differently?) with the ACTUAL name without meaning something specific in relation to the name.

Some religions have faith aspects attached to names, some don't.
      I'd like to hear from more people who DO attach that to names.

3. names are names, and they really shouldn't be associated with another character having the same name...

its like someone comparing me to the princess Anastasia.... my name is Anastasia and I've got red hair and blue eyes too, but that doesn't mean I am her descendant, it doesn't mean im doomed to die a cruel death of being lined up with my sisters and shot. I have nothing to do with her, It offends me when I am compared to anyone else who has my name because they aren't me.

Why should dolls be any different? Names are names, that is all they are, they are not the actual character that made the name famous.

Now... If someone were to have a doll named Adolf or Hitler trying to kill off another doll named Jesus.... THAT would be offensive to anyone.... and that is the kind of thing that should be complained about and banned because that is the kind of thing that was intentionally done to upset people.

4. Well, I think this is where the issue might be--you say that there are no Romans or Egyptians (meaning ancient Egypt). That does not, however mean that people today do not still worship the dieties from those cultures. It might not have passed down through an unbroken line of belief--but the faith of those people are still just as valid. Anubis and Athena are really not 'dead' names.

My issue was not with what you choose to name your doll, but that it seemed (and I may have misread you, but this is how it came off in your earlier posts) that you found the idea of people using Jesus' name offensive, but it was not offensive to use the names of other gods/goddesses. What I was saying was that respect goes both ways. If you meant it as a personal thing as in 'I personally would not use Jesus, but have no problem with using Anubis since he's not part of my religion' then I would have no issue with that statement. It's when it flows over into what other people should/shouldn't do that things go awry since they might see Jesus as mythological but Anubis as real. It seems like you meant it as a personal 'this is what I would do' statement in your above post. However, this was not very clear when you posted before.

You seem to very interested in history and mythology which is very cool, however for this particular debate topic you are leaving history and mythology and heading over into the realm of modern religious practice--Pagan and otherwise. It is no longer possible to determine what names hold religious significance by what is ancient history, since a lot of older religious ideas are now being revived.

Whether or not people are offended by any particular name is going to depend on the person. I would hope that most people would not see a name choice as an offense, and I would advise using whatever name you though fit the doll.

5. I agree with you on most accounts! I hope that I in no way offended you- please understand that I hold you, and everyone, in highest regard! Especially their faith!

I did NOT mean that it was Ok to use religious names, Christian or otherwise, because you feel like it. I simply used Jesus as an example as He is the closest example I can explain.

I really think you expressed my views well though!
      I may have moved from a realm as it was my opinion. I consider those names to hold little meaning to me, but someone else doesn't have the same views as I do! So I was being frank in my historical interests.

I know little on pagan beliefs and faith that is being revived- so I am curious about sacred names and whether they are seen as acceptable by that group of that faith.

Thanks for being friendly! :)
      I really dislike it when people seem to think I'm throwing my views on them, but I'm not one to fail to admit any wrongs. I look at some historical aspects, but when entering the realm of religion, I'm looking at what seems to be in the debate topic name- names! XD

So maybe it's my history interest that is curious about if those old names still hold great meaning in today's faiths.

6. I figure that as long as you really do research on the doll's name and actually want to give it the name you choose, by knowing what the name means, etc. It's fine. Do your homework on the name, know it's history and meaning and you'll know if you'd offend someone, by using it.

Besides, in doing research you might find one that better fits the doll, that's less offensive or that the initial name didn't fit at all. My two cents.

7. lawl

I have no problem with any names, religious or other wise. it's your doll...name it whatever the fook you want, people care too much what others thinks...

not to mention it is a friggen DOLL... don't get defensive over an inanimate object. Society is way too sensitive and/or worried about being "politically correct".

8. Hmm, well I would avoid any some names, just if I don't like them, and some things that can be linked to a popalur name doing with a person mentioned in the Bible or in some sort of religious document. I don't care about anything else.

9. Hmm, that's an interesting comment (sorry, not meaning to get on your back, but there are other comments I can't seem to articulate a good reply to). That effectively sounds like a 'power in numbers' argument. There aren't many believers of the ancient faiths left - so we can use their vetoed names. But there are lots of Christians and Muslims left - so we can't use their vetoed names. But even if there's only a handful of people who follow Shintoism - surely their beliefs should still be respected? And if they shouldn't, as possibly indicated, how can this be? Are what is respectful and disrespectful governed by sheer population?

In which case, we could just do a poll of religions on DOA, and veto the top three's vetoed names. But that just doesn't sit right, does it? (Not to mention debates within a particular belief as to what is offensive and what isn't.)

If there were no Sikhs left, it would still be disrespectful to go around mocking Guru Nanak -- wouldn't it?

I may be wrong, all of this may be wrong, but I assume there to be a more basic system of what is disrespectful and what isn't.

-cut- before I start talking more about religion. It's hard to know where the cutoff point is in this thread!

10. First, yes it is hard to cut things off since it all gets mingled together.

Next, I only used those as examples. I couldn't list all the religions since I felt that got my point across.

Please read my other posts. You'll find I state that people should look into every religion and respect EVERY name before making hasty choices. :)

11. I think a name is a name.
      If someone actually wants to make a doll of a certain character/person/god/etc like Satan or Zeus or whatever, that's their choice.

I don't think anyone has the right to bash someone's doll or character just because they think it's 'offensive' or 'uncalled for'.

I think anyone has a right to name their doll what they want to. It's not like these names are copyrighted or anything.
      Like 'omg you can't use Sarah cause it's in the Bible!' D:

If that was true then I wouldn't be named Sara. -_-

People these days seem to be way over-sensitive.

12. Whoa. This turned into an actual debate. I'm impressed.
      If there was an all out taboo on religious names, I wouldn't be named Mary. There are probably atheists of Mexican descent out there named Jesus with the traditional pronunciation- I wouldn't be surprised. I think it's better to have people being sensitive about the issue than letting us get known as 'those creepy people who name their dolls Jesus and stuff and like to poke holes in personal theology' or something. It would reflect badly on all of us.
      Reading back a few pages, what people have been noting about naming taboos that relate to idolatry make the issue seem a bit clearer today. Some names will be hard to handle without malicious/harmful intent at all. Name the doll what you want and have it depict what you will, but be able to explain your reasons and stand up to the criticism you *will* believe when you make that doll in Nazi uniform or that doll of a figure of modern or even ancient religion, or that doll of a real life historical figure some may not agree with. For example, most people associate Vlad Tepes with Dracula, some people associate him with the historical figure who has been at times a national hero, some people relate him with the figure depicted in propaganda as a cold-hearted murderer. I'm almost sure there's at least one doll named for him out there. Homage naming is different than mere use of a name because you like the sound.

Claiming a doll's acceptability by sheer number of believers seems kind of odd to me. Doing that is like saying 'Half the world is women, so sexism is obviously wrong. But be as homophobic as you want- there are so few openly gay men and women that you're not going to be offending anyone you *know*.' There's common sense (if you name a doll after a profanity, people may come away with a bad opinion of it) and then there's personal preference. If you know the name or doll design you have chosen might offend, you may choose not to show it, but to make an actual rule concerning it would be a little much.

13. I agree with what you said, Rhoswyn. =^w^=

I was thinking last night about the name Adolf. Everyone knows at least one Adolf, the 'evil man who created the holocaust'.
      But what if you like the name Adolf? It means 'wolf' in German (or so says name meanings dot com). Personally, I really like the name. But is it right to criticize someone for naming a doll something that happened to be an 'evil person's' name? He was not the first person to be named Adolf, and is surely not the last.

I think people should maybe explain their reasoning for naming a doll something that could cause a controversy. Heck, everyone should explain why they named something a certain name.
      I really don't think there are people senseless enough in the doll world (though I could be wrong) that name their dolls just for the heck of using that particular name.

Lol, I just had to throw that out there.

14. hey i already used Adolf! not fair! name stealer! lol this debate is silly, it really is... who honestly cares about another doll's name unless they want to create trouble? I mean... I saw someone had name their doll Little Prick, and although it was slightly disturbing, It was in fact interesting, I wanted to ask them why but decided it was none of my business so I kept my nose out of it....

this debate is gonna rile people up, dolls and religion... who cares if you've got a specific religion and set of beliefs! I've got my own and but I'm not gonna chew people out for "taking thy name in vain" *rolls eyes*

(The simple and mean way my mind sees this situation)
      I don't think there is one single god. But the name Jesus is stupid, I don't want to name any of my boys Jesus. I don't like that name, just because it sounds weird and boring...too famous too.I like the name Grey... yea... David Grey.... and he's German... Yep, my german boy named David...hrmm.. but he also screams Grey.... Yea i think ill go for Grey....
      (end mind thoughts)

as you can see.... your doll tells you their name...if he thinks he's Lucifer then fine, that'll be his name. I betcha that if Lucifer's name was really Spike, No one would name their black cats Spike due to superstition.

15. Well, I would never name a doll anything like "Satan" because I wouldn't want to to you know, kill me in my sleep or send me to eternal darkness oO ... Also, I would never EVER name a doll after one of my friends. It'd be too awkward >.>

16. Lucifer (as the devil) sinned in that he thought God wouldn't forgive him- he was too proud to humble himself to receive forgiveness. I wouldn't find anything odd in naming a doll that because the name means Light-Bringer. Outside of biblical terms (where he isn't really mentioned) the character we have built up around this evil is very interesting.

17. @Bukimeisu-

Lol Adolf. I was just using it as an example. XD

Anyways.

And now I will call Lucifer 'Spike' just because you said that. XD

18. Hi everyone! :) What an interesting topic! :daisy

Being a Christian, I can certainly understand wanting to name your doll after Jesus. I don't think it's bad if you do it out of respect, I just wouldn't do it myself. :)

I try to be careful with naming dolls because I don't want to insult other people's beliefs. I think to name a doll something like "Christ" or "Hitler" just to get a reaction out of people isn't a good idea and could cause you trouble. *_*

I also advise that people avoid curse words or taboo words as doll names, as well as the names of certain bodily organs or funtions. Doing so may cause you a lot of grief and annoyance if people complain. :sigh

If you aren't sure whether a certain name would be offensive or not, ask a few people for their opinion. :daisy Your opinion is the most important, but learning what others think will help you come to a decision. :)

A website that I use often for names is Behind the Name. It's a wonderful resource and I highly recommend it! :D If you are looking for Japanese names and kanji, this website is invaluable. :aheartbea

There are thousands of beautiful names out there from hundreds of different languages. :daisy Take the time to find the one name that is perfect for your doll. :aheartbea And remember, your doll's name is your choice, but you should be prepared to take responsibility for that choice. Good luck! :thumbup

19. There was a very funny article on the news services last year, where the officials in Japan were cracking down because there was starting to be an increase in the number of people wanting to name their children things like "oni" (a demon/monster thing) and the Japanese words for things like despair and murder, and for body parts. The article also mentioned it's a problem in South America too!

To further flog Adolf -- in the US, we don't get a lot of Adolfs, so the name stands out for the one major creep who held it. However, the sensitivity in Germany would likely be far different, where there are already vast herds of Adolfs cruising the countryside and always have been.

And you know something I've learned over the years? No matter WHAT you name anything, or how you go about anything, there will be SOMEONE who will not like it and who will complain. Therefore, rather than trying to live without failing to perturb ANYBODY, best to choose your battles. Consider the opinions -- and possible retaliations presented by the crazies, the powerful, the rabid, the bullies, and the utterly insecure, and include that as a factor in your decision-making. But in the end, it's your decision and you should make it according to your own heart.

And that's why nicknames come in handy, too-- In fact, we should adopt "Spike" as the catch-all, all-purpose nickname to present when those around look rather wild-eyed, or are polishing their halos, or cracking their knuckles.

20. lol my dz fox, Spike says hi lol... his real name is Socrates but he prefers spike. Hobbywhelmed, I think thats a great idea... nicknames....

nicknames are the best thing to do if someone feels that the name theyve chosen for their doll might be controversial no?