1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Convincing yourself to press the order button

Sep 28, 2017

?
  1. Layaway

15.7%
  2. Everything all up front

48.7%
  3. Depends on other factors

35.7%
    1. As much as I LOVE Victoria Frances, I honestly don't see me buying the doll unless it's something insane that I desperately need.
      I'm limiting myself to shelling out the characters for my steampunk story before looking at any other dolls I may want. Otherwise it would drive me insane with all the dolls I want but even with long layaway I can't afford.

2. Because my income varies, and when I'll get a decent chunk of spare money is extremely random, I almost never do layaways anymore. I can't usually guarantee I'll be able to pay it off, and so I'll just save up until I can buy the doll in full, and that also makes me consider how bad I really want it. If I've lost interest by the time I have the money, I must not have wanted it that badly.

I used to do layaway a lot more when I had a full time steady job. I would only do layaway with companies/dealers who would start on the doll after the first payment. Paying on it as it's being created makes the wait seem shorter to me. If it was finished before I paid it off, then I'd scramble like mad to pay it off asap.

3. I've only ever ordered dolls when I could pay all at once. A few years ago there were several limiteds I liked available at the same time from different companies, and I just ordered the one I loved and not the other two I really liked. As for convincing myself to spend the money, I sometimes know the doll will be perfect for a roll in the world of my other dolls Sometimes a doll is a reward for myself, so I feel I deserve it.

4. I pay upfront, but only off of my "big purchase/doll" credit card. That way I can pay myself back while things get going with my order. However I typically take months before deciding to actually purchase... Lots of looking at the company page, scouting around second hand, looking at how others have customized the same doll, and being sure it either fits a pre-existing character or I start having ideas for one. And even then I'll only finally pull the trigger on a doll once that specific credit card is paid down to 0 and I'm sure I can't get a better deal second hand or wait for a sale.

5. I would always pay it at once. In the end, you pay the same amount of money. But layaway is like spending money you don't have. I learned from my parents that you should never buy something with money you don't have because it's easier to make debts like that. It might sound harsh, but I think it's the safer way :)

6. I'm really bad about instant gratification, so I only purchase up front! I know it's not ideal, but I hate waiting longer than I absolutely have to.

7. If I want something I prefer to buy it upfront. I am too impatient for layaways. I pay myself to pay if off since I buy my dolls on my credit card that I have had for years whose limit is currently 5 figures and counting.