1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Copyright of doll vs Copyright of photos of dolls?

Jun 15, 2006

1. Yes I know there are many copiers (projectors etc)...To me that is unethical unless you state that your art work was composed that way and you dont try to hide it. As far as digital art, I think it is fascinating and beautiful and complicated!!! I am not familiar with that field and have to many irons in the fire to try and tackle it....but I do so admire it! Your point is well taken and appreciated...thanks to you.

2. Even though it is recognizable as a Dollstown doll, IMHO as the wife of a professional artist, you would NOT need to ask for permission as long as there was no copying, tracing, etc involved. At that point the doll becomes a piece of a still life. You don't need permission to paint a picture of a Wedgewood Vase. You should not need permission to paint a picture of a BJD, nor to profit from the sale of that picture. There is such an enormous amount of precedent that I very much doubt you would have any trouble.

3. Thank you for the advice.

4. I have struggled with this for about a decade. That's how long I've been a free lance artist. I've read big thick books, and asked an attorney. The one safe way would be if the company, and that would have to be the right signatures on the correctly worded agreement, gave written permission.

The percentage ruling is often taught in art schools and the book I thought might be the right one said that is all wrong. In their words, if you PIRATED an image, does not matter how much you change it. That was very discouraging to me at the time.

The attorney said my exposure was so small, not to worry. But I'd like my exposure to be a little bigger. ^_^

Then I think about it if it were MY art being photographed and used. I don't feel all that exited about seeing one of my photographs being used as an avatar. That occurred to me in dA and I happened to catch it. In that case I would have been flattered if they had asked. But they passed it off as their own. THAT I think is clearly always wrong.

After those 2 "for sures" -- it gets increasingly muddy and discouraging when I think about wanting to paint watercolor-on-paper images of dolls. Which is exactly what I would LOVE to do. I can do portraits for individual people. But the materials and time it takes to do those is hard to make a living doing. 24 hours a day just isn't enough. As a single woman, I can't afford to give away that much time out of what needs to be a "work week". I would go out and get a regular job, but I'm disabled. Until I can find other windows open where God closed certain doors to me, I keep looking for a way to respect these laws and still use the talents I have.

Vincent Van Gogh re-worked images of his favorite artist. Of course, he only sold about one painting, and that to his brother. Maybe another to his doctor? I'd have to google for exact details, but you get the point. In general anyway?

When people say, GO AHEAD, it is usually prefaced with "I very much doubt" you will get into trouble. And that is probably the best answer we can get. Until a particular instance is taken to court, there might be question about how the ruling would fall. We could probably site real examples from trials that would have conflicting results. Maybe?

A few things about this is clear. The rest, not so much. And there is that issue of different countries taking different views. The ethical, higher ruling? Probably also on an individual basis [beyond those obvious examples].

If I'm wrong, I would LOVE to know what is definitely correct. But I'd have to be given the source of an authoritative answer before I would be sure.

5. Our litigious society - helps my brothers (lawyers) make a living LOL BJD companies would lose LOTS of money if those who bought them were strictly prevented from painting/photographing their dolls (because they'd lose a lot of customers). I mean, really. The amount of work to create a good photo story, or an oil painting which is essentially a still life, is immense. Identifying the doll is about all I would feel morally obligated to do.
      But this thread & others like it do make me worry about the stifling of creativity in the world. Shakespeare living today would never have been allowed to put on his plays (derivative, ya know?). Think about that for just a bit, please.