1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus concerns mega-thread

Jan 21, 2020

1. I don't think anyone here said they're afraid of the virus cause the package comes from abroad? Everyone, if you read, literally said they're more scared about their local postman than for the virus to miraculously survive from abroad (which everyone knows well it's impossible, since it dies fast on everything that's not a human being).

2. a lot of us aren't just doing that with international/East Asian packages. I get that this is a really charged moment in terms of racism and violence against East Asian people, but most of us have mentioned concern only about local couriers--I specifically mentioned the sorting facilities/couriers the day of arrival, and rurimas mentioned something similar. Erinreynolds, and lyaam12 (who you cited) mentioned this too, AshbelEro mentioned postal couriers as the concern too--this is what a lot of use are explicitly talking about.

Amazon hasn't come up because we're talking specifically about doll shipments, and amazon doesn't deal with those, and carries a minimal amount of wigs/eyes/accessories, so I don't see it mentioned a lot here. but rest assured, those get wiped at my house (and their contents too if it shipped the same day-- their warehouse conditions are generally unsafe for their workers, and likely end customers depending on the arrival time). I don't think any of this has shown any explicitly or implicitly racist concern, especially because a lot of the concerns are locally-focused, but I also read comments here in good faith. It's helpful to bring this up as something to think about, but I don't think this is anything the people talking here have thus far been complicit in.

3. As a person of East Asian descent, I didn't feel offended with any of the messages posted on this thread.

Regardless of the origin of the virus, it is potentially dangerous, so I think it's normal (and sensible!) to be cautious and to ask questions if there is uncertainty. Better be safe than sorry!

On another note, I never shopped with Amazon (I just noticed that all my international shopping is either doll or book related) and I am a bit shocked at what I read here...and I will do my utmost to avoid shopping with it after reading this!

On an extra-unrelated and disgusting note...I can somehow envision a male Amazon worker peeing in a bottle, even though that labour practice is very questionable. But how do you pee in a bottle as woman?

#403 lyaam12, Apr 20, 2021
      Last edited: Apr 20, 2021
    4. Yeah, pretty sure the OP was not thinking of the packages being from East Asia being a factor... the US is way more of a hotbed and we all know that.

5. This comment is a bit harsh. I'm actually of Southeast Asian descent and have also been directly hit by both COVID layoffs and anti-Asian hate. I personally don't feel that any posts, including my original one, were directed towards any individual or community or that any were inflammatory against anyone. Regarding domestic vs international packages, I think most people do buy new or used dolls from outside of their own country and many of the popular BJD companies are in Asia so a lot of people's comments here were based on that experience, but that doesn't necessarily mean they are being anti-Asian.

I do want to make it clear that I made this post because I am curious about any new safety precautions in light of COVID, especially as this hobby always has a lot of safety warnings (e.g., regulators while sealing, etc). I stayed away from making dolly purchases last year, but am contemplating both buying and selling so your comments have been super helpful. So far, everyone's comments have been awesome and it's great to hear what people have been doing!

6. I’m not doing anything differently. The shipping box goes in the trash unless it’s a good one I can reuse, then it goes in the closet until I need it, but that’s always been the case. I work retail and feel if I’m going to get the virus, it’s going to be from work, though I am fully vaccinated so things are slowly getting more ‘normal’ for me again.

7. I was wiping stuff down at the start, but now (especially being vaccinated and all), I just treat them like normal. The one time I might still wipe is if it is plastic and the dude literally dropped it off minutes before.

8. I don’t bother with wiping packages down but I do sanitize or wash my hands right after handling or opening the outer carton.

9. I think living in a bubble is not healthy. Do what you feel comfortable with. Everyone is different. Stay safe!