1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Coronavirus concerns mega-thread

Jan 21, 2020

1. Hi @Kiwiana an Aussie here - I didnt know about no flights into NZ either! Its hard being so isolated from the rest of the world. I work right near the north Sydney hotspot of cases... I am on immunosupressents for crohns disease so it is a little worrying. I think for the doll community it will just add delays - I hope no companies go out of business however I assume people will still order.
      Stay safe (and sensible - is it just Australia with the toilet paper crisis?) everyone

2. This has gotten so out of hand. People in Iran are dying from alcohol poisoning, having been convinced that slugging down some bootleg booze will prevent/cure COVID-19; in one area where 18 have died from the disease, 30 have died from methanol poisoning. My daughter, who goes to a major university, has just been informed that her classes are now going to be completely virtual - because three people who traveled internationally and live hundreds of miles away have been diagnosed. Of course they are the only people in the entire state to have contracted the disease, but 60K healthy students with butt-kicking immune systems are now without campus classes.

Yes, I am annoyed by mass hysteria. Yes, this virus kills a higher percentage of infected people than the flu (is it 2 or 3? I forget, but still something ridiculously un-terror worthy), which wipes out tens of thousands of people every year...but come on. Costco is out of Purell and Clorox wipes? Have people gone completely insane? I'm waiting on two dolls from China - one from LLT and one from Loong Soul, and I am actually grateful for the expected wait times - both around June - because this whole thing will probably have blown over by then. Viruses mutate - the number of new cases and the corresponding death toll have already taken a HUGE downward plunge in China...in fact, only 7 new cases and no deaths reported today. I seriously wish people would just get a sane and rational grip. [/rant :sweat]

3. Purell and Clorox wipes are actually less effective than plain soap and water and scrubbing your hands for 30 seconds ... Also, face masks are pretty useless for healthy people and preventing infection. It does make sense to wear a face mask when you're sick (like, with a cold or something like that) and out in public - the way they do it in Asia. Also, it sounds like doctors are still on the fence whether the corona virus is actually more dangerous and lethal than the flu virus. There's still the possibility that lots and lots of mild cases slip under the radar because people don't realize they got it and thus, don't get tested (thinking it's only a cold). If you only test the moderate and severe cases of an illness, of course the percentage of people will be a lot higher than when you also catch the mild cases.

I find it kind hilarious in a somewhat macabre way that people totally fly off the handle about this corona virus that, so far has infected 113,000 people and killed a good 4,000. Worldwide. Like, folks, there's not even half as many people sick with it, right now as there's people DYING of the flu every year. No one ever goes this nuts about the flu, like, EVER. And what's with all the toilet paper hoarding, people? It's the CORONA virus, not the NOROvirus. Are you using that toilet paper to wipe your noses or what?

Sorry for the rant. I just don't get it. I guess it's all just another sign that common sense is not so common anymore, these days ...

4. I think a lot of the fear comes from the fact that there are still many things we don't know about this virus, such as how long it can survive on hard surfaces and the mortality rate (the number mentioned by experts here say it's likely well under 1%, while I've heard regular people name much higher numbers, people will tend to exagerate when no one is there to contradict them).
      There is also the economy aspect that I think frighten a lot of people. But I agree, some people does blow things completely out of proportion.

5. The economy aspect wouldn't be a problem if everyone and their Aunt Edna weren't losing their sh*t (pardon my French) and throwing common sense to the wind. If people kept freaking out over the flu like this, we'd all be living in an almost perpetual state of chaos. *sigh* I just want people to be reasonable ...

6. @ajmailey yes people have been buying up toilet paper, hand sanitizer and cleaning products in NZ. I don’t think it has been as bad as Australia though. My daughter is in Sydney and sent photos of all the empty shelves at her local supermarkets. She can’t even find baby wipes.
      The 5 confirmed cases here have been as a result of people flying in from Iran and Italy. There are a lot of people in isolation ( mainly family of the 5 ) and a lot of tests are being carried out.

#106 Kiwiana, Mar 11, 2020
      Last edited: Mar 11, 2020
    7. I can't be the only one who's more concerned about this hitting the Chinese economy hard enough to put some of our favorite small companies out of business? Or do you think this will cause orders to be delayed? The sickness + mass hysteria can't be good for the struggling doll makers in affected areas.

8. As far as I know, all the companies regardless big or small are still alive. =) Order delays will be inevitable though. Item delays will happen to bjd companies and studios that make clothes/accessories (ordered some clothes here and the maker couldn't start until this month because she was unable to get fabrics).
      Since China is recovering, domestic delivery services are slowly getting back to normal. International shipping, on the other hand, has become a new problem.

@Khell Unfortunately global media nowadays is really good at spreading fake news and panic. Washing hands, leaving shoes outside the house, changing/cleaning outwears frequently and avoiding gatherings are way more effective than stocking toilet paper lol.

9. I’ve definitely seen a couple people delay orders from China, but I think for the most part the greater understanding of the BJD community with regards to production delays probably helps. I have a doll on order that’s been delayed, but it’s no big deal to me, and I’ve seen others express the same sentiment. But I know in other hobbies people are really upset and trying to back out of orders, which hurts the companies a lot.

10. I just found out that a friend of mine from work will not be flying to Florida for his nephew's wedding next week as planned. The venue cancelled. The wedding is cancelled...because 4,500 people in the entire world with a population of something around seven and a half billion people have died from this disease.

11. I want to remark on a reminder that the number being listed is typically only *confirmed* cases. There's thousands of people who are being monitored that are not confirmed or cleared yet--in California alone (which also has the highest number), that number today is 10,300 people. The number of confirmed cases in the US are also going up hundreds per day as well. The reasons for the lockdowns and canceled events is not due to the number who have died, but the concern of the number that could die if it continues to spread (which it is doing so rapidly). We still don't know a ton about this disease, but we do know it's spreading rapidly and there's more then likely many people who have this we don't know about. I've seen some posts circulating indicating issues with getting tested. There's only so many people that can be tested at a given time as well. Places like Italy, some areas on FB are reporting that their hospitals are getting packed and running out of room. If it gets to this point, they'll have to start prioritizing who can receive health care. We don't want this to happen.

Also bear in mind the death rate I've been seeing vary, but as of March 3rd WHO is reporting 3.4% (Source: WHO Director-General's opening remarks at the media briefing on COVID-19 - 3 March 2020 ). This is also going to be an *average* number however--higher risk groups like the elderly, especially with prexisting conditions, will be much higher risk percent. Kids are actually relatively unaffected by this. Many people, if not the majority, within the population are at a lower risk of having major complications. Bear in mind though that even if these people don't die, they may still require hospitalization and testing. Being recovered only means you lived and survived through it, it doesn't say anything regarding the last effects this may cause including physical and financial strain. Due to this, the flat number doesn't properly access the risk for a given person. However even so, someone who is at lower risk could become a carrier and pass this on to someone with a much higher risk as well, so bear that in mind. For example the situation with the nursing home in Washington, which is basically nearly worst case scenario since the majority of the people in this location likely are all at the highest risk bracket.

If you want to track the outbreak in the US, here's a good source: US coronavirus map: Tracking the United States outbreak

As for those of us who fall under the high risk group, this has some good advice on what to do: https://community.aafa.org/blog/coronavirus-2019-ncov-flu-what-people-with-asthma-need-to-know

12. This is related, but a significantly different issue, I'm intentionally doing a separate second post about this.

As for ordering from China. I've placed a few orders for some items (not dolls, just accessories/other purchases). Based on my experience, after Chinese New Year ended, which was extended significantly for several shops and why I delayed my order, it seems like business as usual for many regions in China. I had spoken some of the places I ordered some to see what was going on and it sounds like Wuhan's really the only place that's completely locked down last I got a reply on Feb 27th. Though the factory I bought the item from on Dec 27th sounds like it may end up closing down for awhile. They also mentioned being short on staff. I do know that other areas are still not really going outdoors out of concern. We have a friend who's father lives in Shanghai.

I'm under the opinion that due to the extended time and extreme temperature variation, the virus shouldn't be able to survive through the postal system. I would be maybe a bit more mindful on shorter shipping times, but any of these are well outside of that. You can also always wash items in vinegar if they can get wet safely (which also helps set dyes in fabric) or expose it to an extreme temp to help with this.

I placed 1 order on December 27th, the tracking was generated via Speedpak on Jan 3rd. I never received this package.
      I purchased a second item on February 22nd, it was shipped on February 24th and delivered on March 6th.
      The third order I placed was on March 5th, it was shipped March 7th and is currently estimated to arrive between the 19th and 21st. As of today, it landed in the US.

Hopefully this helps.

13. I ordered eyes from Tianba0830 through BJDIVAS on October and been waiting impatiently for them, now they are expected to be delivered tomorrow but I don’t know how to feel about it I have concerns because of the Coronavirus, can you get it from parcels from China? Sorry if it sounds weird but will appreciate any info

14. Now that Covid 19 has confirmed cases in my area (metro Detroit) I'm actually worried about it. I'm chronically ill, but thankfully my lungs and respiratory system are fairly strong compared to the rest of my body. However I work as a courier for a pharmacy and deliver to nursing homes. If I get it I absolutely under no circumstances can work. Even then there's a chance that I had it and was carrying it inside of these homes. I can't afford to lose work, and I don't want to take any chances of getting any one sick so it's extremely nerve wracking tbh

15. @Kurtssingh I don't know where you're located but over here in Germany, the media (reputable news sources, that is, keyword being "reputable") isn't actually known for spreading fake news and promoting panic and hysteria ... I guess it depends on how dependent the specific news outlet (or "news" outlet, I mean, these days you're presented with "news" every time you log into your mail account online, more or less) is on page views, clicks and ratings. Of course you'll go for the more sensationalist stuff that gets you more clicks when your financing depends on it ...

16. The way coronavirus is affecting BID hobby to me is how expensive dollar became? Anyone going through the same situation? Before, I needed 4 of my currency (reais) to buy 1 dollar, now I need 5!!! I'm delaying my layaways this month, I hope ACBJD understands...

17. When looking for the most accurate information for the US, employers and medical authorities are saying go to the CDC - the Atlanta Centers for Disease Control - website for the most up-to-date and correct information.

18. There's loads of info on this very topic throughout this very thread, including the post directly before yours, and the CDC has addressed it as well. Take a look back through this thread, you'll find your information. :)

19. Now imagine how do Russians feel since 2014. Still in hobby tho.

@Fallingroses, check out this message. There's nothing to worry about.

#119 Synchytrium, Mar 12, 2020
      Last edited: Mar 12, 2020
    20. The Danish BJD-convention DollConDK has been postponed. DollConDK Home

And from tomorrow, events with over 500 people can not be held here in Sweden. First death here happened today and the numbers of infected are increasing rapidly. I think that's the scary part, really. It started out with only a few isolated cases and now there are over 460 confirmed.
      My boyfriend works at a grocery store and today was a bit crazy. Apparently, toilet paper is being hoarded here as well, no idea why. Certain kinds of foods too and of course hand sanitizers and such. This is despite the fact that there are no plans for keeping stores closed. People don't seem to be freaked out as much as they just appear to have rather strange priorities, in my opinion.

I mean, awareness is good, keeping oneself informed is good, following the advice given by those who spent their lives studying and researching to know what to do in situations like this is also good. But grabbing 8 packs of toilet paper, almost out of the hands of other customers waiting for the shelf to be restocked? How can anyone think that's a useful thing to do?