1. It has come to the attention of forum staff that Dollshe Craft has ceased communications with dealers and customers, has failed to provide promised refunds for the excessive waits, and now has wait times surpassing 5 years in some cases. Forum staff are also concerned as there are claims being put forth that Dollshe plans to close down their doll making company. Due to the instability of the company, the lack of communication, the lack of promised refunds, and the wait times now surpassing 5 years, we strongly urge members to research the current state of this company very carefully and thoroughly before deciding to place an order. For more information please see the Dollshe waiting room. Do not assume this cannot happen to you or that your order will be different.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Dollshe Craft and all dolls created by Dollshe, including any dolls created under his new or future companies, including Club Coco BJD are now banned from Den of Angels. Dollshe and the sculptor may not advertise his products on this forum. Sales may not be discussed, no news threads may be posted regarding new releases. This ban does not impact any dolls by Dollshe ordered by November 8, 2023. Any dolls ordered after November 8, 2023, regardless of the date the sculpt was released, are banned from this forum as are any dolls released under his new or future companies including but not limited to Club Coco BJD. This ban does not apply to other company dolls cast by Dollshe as part of a casting agreement between him and the actual sculpt or company and those dolls may still be discussed on the forum. Please come to Ask the Moderators if you have any questions.
    Dismiss Notice

Creating your own additional universe [Experience through a doll]

Apr 18, 2008

1. I'm bisexual and, hm....when I'm thinking about it, my guys will mostly be het or asexuel.

My first boy is a catholic priest and he's not allowed to have sex...but I can't even really think about a suitable girl or boy for him o_o

My second boy will be a Yakuza, and I think a girl will match him much better than a boy '_'

I don't expert how it would be this or that with my dolls, because...yeah, it would just show me what I'll never be D:

2. Part of the reason why my boy is asexual, I think, is that well, he's really Catholic. I didn't put that in there in my character planning as some sort of flaw, or some sort of weird, exploitative angle- when I was writing fiction with him in it it just came naturally. I can't exactly see him as a priest-to-be but though he's capable of serious relationships he's just not big on sex at all, even inside marriage. Though I admit there's a *lot* of friendly ho-yay going on with him and one of my other characters, and he ends up very happily married, though without children- the storyline dictates what I see in him a little, but it's mostly just me being uncomfortable with how I'd play that without it seeming... well... creepy and exploitative.

EDIT: Alack, the character ended up outgrowing the doll-- or perhaps vice versa.

3. One of my boys are also catholic (intresting choices of religion?), but he is also a very sexual, or I should rather say romantic actually, person, and the only character I can say with certainty is straight. I don't think he'd mind hugging a boy or even kissing them, but he is completely hetro in the fact that he loves the ladies. He's also half egyptian and half italian, so I think that latino gene makes him a romantic person even if he's catholic.

I think it's interesting how we apply things such as religion, ethnicy and race in order to define them as characters. Are either of you catholic, or is it a religion chosen out of interest? (was with me)

4. I have pretty much satisfied my various sexual curiosities by now in life, and am pretty open-minded that way -- I'm just going to leave that statement right where it is and not elaborate -- so those aren't really issues I feel the need to explore in my dolls out of curiosity. Those elements are there, but they're only so important as I imagine them to be to the character.

All of them have to do with a fantasy world, though, so when making decisions about how they look, how they'll be shown, and so on, I end up exploring ideas in that direction. They're more or less character class archetypes or specific characters from the world itself.

Thus far (home and paid off/on the way):

1. is asexual; she's an embodiment of an abstract concept, dreamed into being. She is not and never was human, but as born of ideas, dreams, nightmares, and faith.

2. worked as an actress in the 'horror theaters' of Paris, staging her death nightly until her fellow performer accidentally did strangle the poor girl, and no one noticed until it was time for the curtain call. Oops. Now her ghost works as the 'efficiency and decorum expert' for a house of courtesans in the spirit world. Sex? Pfft! Nothing compares to applause for a rush!

3. is the quintessential daydreamer, head in the clouds, a true space cadet that can't help it, all because of a magical talent. She's entirely to ADD to think too long about sex for more than a few seconds at a time -- just like everything else.

4. stole her body from someone else. It's party time, baby! Anyone and anything, anywhere and any time. Oh, hey, that looks interesting, I wonder if it tickles or stings... when this body is too broken, she'll steal someone else's, maybe a male one next time just for the novelty, until it's time to move on again.

5. probably has urges, but has his nose too high in the air to admit it, and is too much the gentleman to act on them.

5. Despite being a Protestant myself, I was basically raised Catholic- or rather, I'm *being* raised Catholic, at least when it comes to education. I'm interested in the religion of course- the vast majority of my offline friends are Catholics, mostly people from school, and it's good to at least know and understand other points of view, if not outright empathise despite our differences- but for Guy it's mostly just how he is. He's English, and I admit at least some of his character was inspired by one of my favourite nonfiction books about the lives of some of the early Jesuits. His character wouldn't be any different if he were, say, raised Southern Baptist or something, but his outlook on life comes from that, I guess. I can't help but wonder how all this is going to turn out in his doll form- it's not as easy to demonstrate personality there as it is in writing.

A little more on topic- examining my original characters I want to make dolls out of some day, none of them are exactly... white bread *anything*. The women are crossdressing Polly Olivers or cool steampunk scientists, the men are either quirky, saintly asexuals or hopelessly in love (and not always in a good way), action hero *fill in the blank here*sexuals. I'm not sure if I've achieved middle ground. I feel like one of those comic book writers who can only draw women built like rails and men built like stacks of muscles. I need some variety.

6. My boy is catholic because he's a catholic priest named Judas, he was inspired a little bit by the Hellsing Iscariot devision (and the Judas in the Bible, of course) '_'

I'm not Catholic, I'm Protestant, btw. But I LOVE catholic priest robes * _*

7. Do you think when you own a doll and you make the char be bi or gay, or straight for that matter, because you want to "explore that part of life"?
      Yeah, I do think that is a facet of it. I'm fairly straight myself but a lot of characters I make are gay. Probably because I'm not a gay boy myself I make characters who are so I can kind of ...experience it through them? But on the other hand boys kissing boys and girls kissing girls is kinda cute to me so that's a big part of it too XD yeh know...as long as it's not like raunchy eating your face kinda kissing...i don't even like when straight people do it D:

As far as other religions go I've only made one character who had any real religion(and he was gay so it made it more interesting for me because he had the whole struggle between religion and sexuality thing going on lol cliche?). Because it's not a big part of my life personally so it doesn't interest me to have a doll or character that does usually.

And for fantasy yeah, I have made a fantasy world with all the stuff I like(lol like unicorns and dragons and stuff) but I've not got any plans to make dolls out of the characters. And it wasn't because I was living vicariously through them I just...was deep into like Inu Yasha and stuff ha ha. Well, maybe a bit vicariously then? Lol.

8. As for fantasy, most of the other worlds I've created I'm not sure I would want to live in. Lots of darkness and intrigue, that sort of thing. If I go out for alternate universes and vampires and unicorns and stuff, it tends to be WORSE than this world, not better. I don't necessarily think that's great for me, but it reflects a lot of who I am. I'd love to have a perfect universe through dolls, and that seems to be the only time I really 'reshape' reality to what I WANT it to be, not just what it could be if left to rot.

9. A little escapism never hurt anyone, and is more often a healthy realise. As long as you don't get too wrapped up in it. Gotta go with whatever makes ya happy

10. This is the entire reason why I roleplay. When I first started rping ( a very, very long time ago XD Probably between 7 years ago! (( My neopets profile for a long-dead account, proudly proclaims "70 months!" Which was probably a year after I actually began roleplaying ^__^ )).) I delved immediately into fantasy rps, since fantasy books were such a love of mine. However, I then stumbled upon Harry Potter type rps--a reality much closer, and more likely to happen, to my own--and soon began roleplaying as a male character. Originally, I began this because as a general rule of thumb, I would sit in an AOL Chat Room-based HP roleplay and there would be 30 girls to one guy. So I figured, 'what they hey? Not like it'll hurt me to rp as a guy'. It also gave people I was rping with the option for romance, since in the 6th grade, none of us wanted to be gay.
      To this day, my absolute favourite character (and really, the only one I could probably pick up after all these years and rp effectively with) is male.
      However, after years of contemplation, it didn't take me long to realize that, even though I don't real care for guys or the male body, I really just wouldn't care if I suddenly woke up with a man's body one day. So why not live that out online? Just for fun. ^__^

The same thing can apply to dolls--I definitely think that you can live different parts of yourself out through them, and I defintely think that a lot of people do so.

11. Mmmm, well, I think people mold their doll's personalities and have them do things that the owners themselves have some sort of interest in. I would not make a doll or write a protagonistic character that is vehemently homophobic and anti-gay... unless I planned for them to change. I would not make a doll or a character that is a big, super athletic football player or a ditzy cheerleader- because I have no interest in that. I might make a doll that is a fantastic guitarist, though I can't play guitar. I might even make a doll that is a member of a certain religion, though I myself am not. In short, my dolls or characters would reflect my values and interests, whether I have the actual talent that I have given them or not. As long as I have some vague interest in a subject, then it's fair game to be played out in a doll.

12. My dolls' sexuality came from their fictional counterparts. The characters were that way first and thus when the resin versions came to be they had the personalities and sexualities of the characters.

My characters are mixed up in their preferences, thus so are my dolls. The ones home so far are like this:

1. Gay/Straight. Reincarnate of a Goddess in a male body. Loves men. Likes harder bodies rather than soft ones.
      2. Straight. Mafia Prostitute. Doesn't particularly care for women in that way, and refuses to even kiss a girl.
      3. Straight. Doesn't like men at all in that way, despite the way he talks, dresses and behaves.

A few of the ones on the way or in the making:

1. Fears women, Gay
      2. Likes anything larger than him with manbits, Gay.
      3. Traditional, old fashioned and mother-like. Straight
      4. Rough and Tomboy-ish. Lesbian
      5. Slow witted and innocent, bisexual
      6. Tougher and tomboyish, bisexual
      7. Territorial and Proud, despises other women, Straight
      8. Smart, moody, and possessive, bisexual
      9. Wise, playful, and clueless, straight.
      10. Impulsive, moody, artistic, lesbian

I don't think any of my characters are me exploring anything. I do however believe most of their personalities are bits and pieces of my personality pushed to an extreme that makes them unrecognizable as part of my personality. They just turned out that way because certain traits the characters posess don't look right if they're tied to one person, or if they are with one sex rather than another, you know?

An example would be putting a tougher masculine woman with a masculine man vs. a smaller feminine woman or a very feminine man. In some scenarios it works and in others it doesn't. I guess.

13. Interesting. Most of my characters (the ones who are being reincarnated as dolls) are lesbians. But then, so am I, so I guess that sort of makes sense.

I've always thought it weird though; one of my favorite characters is a gay male. He's going to be a doll; I'm getting him for Christmas. I've never had an interest in the male body, not even as a child. I've always found it icky and unattractive at best. As such, I don't really think I'm living out any sort of unrealized fantasy life with James...

There's a certain romanticism to being homosexual, I think. The fact that it is considered "taboo" in many circles makes it something interesting for those less conventional folks out there, whether gay or straight. In this way, it's only natural that even straight people would have an interest in homosexuals. There is also a certain allure, I suppose, to not having to see or read about any "bits" that you yourself are not attracted to.

14. Actually, no. My dolls are actually sexually oriented based on their own characters and personalities, not mine. I am bi. Sanyu is dead straight. Actually, she's more like the type who wouldn't want a relationship at all. But if she WERE to have a relationship, it would be with a guy. And it would have to be a guy that provides a decent challenge in a spar.

I could go on about the sexual orientation of all the dolls I plan to get in the future, too. XD Simply because the characters are already planned out. In fact, the majority of my characters are straight. oO Which actually kind of makes me sad because I don't see a lot of girlxgirl around, but tons of guyxguy.

I think my bisexuality may have had an effect on the gender of dolls that I get, though. I lean more towards liking girls, to be honest. At least, when it comes to the aesthetically pleasing side of things. I'm really just not as comfortable seeing, well, male anatomy. And the fact that guy dolls are anatomically correct kind of makes me uncomfortable. I don't tend to find the male body attractive. Just a weird thing of mine, I guess. But I suppose I only have female characters and will only have female dolls just because I am more comfortable with the female body and also because I think the female body is the more attractive of the two sexes. *shrug*

15. Being old enough to have done just about anything imaginable sexually, I don't need to use my dolls to explore that aspect of life but rather find that my dolls reflect my own experiences in their characters. I have everything from young straight lovers to an older dom/sub homosexual couple & all varieties in between. For some of the dolls it's an important aspect of their character but for others it's not even defined.

As for other aspects of living vicariously, my dolls exist in a fantasy world. It's our world but populated with all sorts of magical creatures as well as humans. It's not an ideal world but it does reflect my own desire to simply leave reality for a while & have a safe place to live in.

16. Moved post...

17. I don't really think my dolls explore aspects of my sexuality because I know who I am, what I like, what I think is sexy/attractive.

I only have 4 female dolls at the moment. The smallest is a tiny and therefore no sexual preference or anything, she's a baby! My 2 60cm girls are compeltely different. Juno has seen the harsh realities of the world (has a very odd backstory with no relation to my life or interests at all, i just thought it would be interesting.) Also, Juno's boyfriend claims to be gay, yet at same time is in love with her. Poor confused boy. Nanu is an elf with serious issues. She's been kissed by Dementis(invisible demon) and it's scrambled her poor little brains. Juno lives with Nanu and tollerates her but hopes to one day find a cure. Miral, my msd sized is the brat of the group and acts like a stroppy teenager. She is 15 although she is very small for her age and possibly has a type of dwarfism. She is straight.

My dolls although they live together, have completely different interests and lives. I just thought when I got my dolls, what would be interesting? A friend of mine owns Juno's boyfriend, and Mirals... and a couple of other dolls that interact with mine, so we tend to develop the stories together and discuss when we buy new dolls to see how they will fit in with the little mellowdrama going on. Honestly think we should do a website with the line at the top being "Like sand through the hourglass, these are the dolls of our lives." Might get sued though. hehehe Hey everyone needs a hobby!

18. I'm bisexual. I don't think I see my dolls as that sort of outlet. ^^

Its just how I choose them to be/how they choose to be. =]

19. Well, despite the fact that I have yet to own any BJD’s, I think I also have an opinion on this. I believe that dolls, just like role play characters, are an extension of someone’s personality, even if the person themselves does not realize it. It is impossible to RP a character if you don’t have the capabilities to be that person inside.

With dolls, we are able to dress them how we want, and in a way how we wish we could dress and look. Some people own ethnic dolls based on their ethnicity. My first doll is going to be “Apollo” (60cm) from bobobie. He will eventually be given the personality, looks, and past of my RPC Tsuwabuki whom, after a very long time, I realized is my mature and more motherly side. My doll will be that in a physical form.

I like to say that I have so much personality and so many sides to me, it’s the reason I am pudgy. ^.^

Ach! I am getting off topic! :?

Eventually, I hope to have a doll for each of my personalities and sides.

All of my dolls will be gay. Except maybe any tiny’s as they are much too young to know yet!

:aheartbea:aheartbea

20. Strange, I've never thought about this before; it's certainly interesting.
      I'm pretty asexual and so will my doll be after I complete its character. I guess when I look into it from a certain perspective, my asexual self may have had some part in my decision to mod the doll genderless. Really interesting..